Sign in to follow this  
The Colonel

Looking up or looking down?

Was just interested to see the mentality of the fans. When you look at the league table, do you automatically look to see how many points below 2nd we are or how many points above 7th?

For me it''s straight to the top and looking how far off automatic we are and then a quick check to see how "safe" our play-off position is.

OTBC

Maybe I''m just naturally pessimistic after watching norwich for 30 years!?, but I''m looking behind. Burnley are 9 points behind us but have 2 games in hand, Leicester are on a good run too. One or both could easily force their way into the top 6, I just hope we''re not one of the teams that slips out of the playoffs.

Like the OP, I just can''t help myself, and I always look ''up'' first. Anyway, We are very very close to 2nd, so why not. After allowing myself to dream of the automatic 2nd spot for a bit, I then start to look further down and  notice the threats from below - currently Burnley. It changes every week at the mo''. About 10 days ago, many people were saying how Forest were destined for 2nd spot; now a few posters are starting to predict Swansea and Cardiff. Leicester have dropped a few points and they have been replaced by Burnley. Hopefully, many twists and turns to come - all in Norwich''s favour, of course. For 2nd, we will - obviously -  have to better (slightly) the points tallys of Swansea, Cardiff and probably Forest over the last 12 games. I think a minimum of 2+ points a game. Always impossible to predict what may happen at this stage of the season, but the teams at the top do seem strong and all on pretty good runs.

However, I am expecting us to put in great performances in those really ''big'' games (Leicester, Swansea, Notts F etc.) - and who knows - hopefully there may come a point when there is only QPR to ''look up'' to, and my first reaction will be to look down first (wishful thinking, maybe).

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Maybe I''m just naturally pessimistic after watching norwich for 30 years!?, but I''m looking behind. Burnley are 9 points behind us but have 2 games in hand, Leicester are on a good run too. One or both could easily force their way into the top 6, I just hope we''re not one of the teams that slips out of the playoffs.[/quote]

But in their last 8 games Leicester have only played one top 6 side (Cardiff) and lost to them whereas Burnley have been churning out some strange results, performing better against top of the table sides. We still have a dozen or so games to go and there is a hell of  lot of six-pointers amongst the top eight''s remaining fixtures.

Up, I''m looking for that auto spot. It''s so tight alot of fans from several teams will be gutted after the playoffs, with it being so tight.

Top 6 would be a fantastic achievement, but thinking about it...I always look at how far we are off the top two first

[quote user="Mellow yellow 4 ever"]Up, I''m looking for that auto spot. It''s so tight alot of fans from several teams will be gutted after the playoffs, with it being so tight.[/quote]

Likewise, as a play-off spot is a lottery and absolutely no guarantee of promotion. We need to get an automatic spot and we have a great chance of achieving it.

I always look at both, but my heart is set on trying for that top 2 (still think QPR can be caught even if it''s unlikely) so that''s where I look first and then 7th down.

I look up and then down [:)]

Think QPR have got the top spot now so we need them to beat Leic, Cardiff and Leeds to help us out ( as Lambert would say)

Automatic promotion whilst a possibility still seems a bridge too far for me, but whilst we are 3 points or so away it is still game on. It would be silly not to watch the chasing pack and 7th spot is where i quickly look. This week despite the Doncaster game we have widened the gap by 3 pts to 7pts will a plus 12 gd. It would be nice to keep that gap going

Both for me, which means I sometimes find myself not minding if a top three side beats a team in 5th, 6th or 7th place, as for me I am as keen to open a gap on those behind us as to close the gap on those above.

I also think it may be better if QPR beat any of the teams around us and just walk off with the title, sucking points away from our rivals, especially as we''ve played them twice now.

Certainly while Cardiff, Forest and Swansea fail to put us away (they have all had a number of good runs but then drop points in successive games too) I do feel we can have a run of our own run of four or five wins on the bounce and suddenly find a bit of space in second place ourselves. Definitely needs back to back wins though, a bit like Forest and Leicester have managed, as at this stage of the season it could nail us into the automatic spots.

As I have been to a play off semi with the highs at Wolves and the lows at cardiff (losing to Birmingham) I look up first as 2nd place is the one to go for, then after looking up I do look down.I just don''t want the play off''s again if we can help it, that''s why I really think we need to bring in a striker to help us out and go for 2nd.