Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Well done Mr Wilbraham

I have just seen the goals and a brilliant header to set up our 2nd goal! A big hoof up by Ward and under lots of pressure he heads it on to Holt, and then Lansbury scores!

Well done sir, that''s why we bought him!

I thought Wilbraham made a really good contribution when he came on tonight, he really made a difference.

He did do alright tonight. Infact he played better than Grant Holt (so did Simeon to be fair) but then at least Holt managed to do just enough when it counted.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]It was certainly a good header, but he offered absolutely nothing else. But I suppose that was enough![/quote]You didn''t see him win any other headers, then? Did you take a nap or something?Just because he''s a League One journeyman doesn''t mean he''s incapable of playing well. He won a fair few flick-ons - not all of them found yellow shirts, admittedly, but often the other attacking players weren''t making the right runs into the channels. In my opinion he certainly made more impact than Holty tonight. A couple of times he showed neat touches, shielding the ball and shuttling it out wide to a yellow shirt. Nobody expects him to be skinning three players and lashing in 30-yard howitzers, but for what he was put on the pitch for tonight I thought he did an excellent job.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Carra Rud"]It was certainly a good header, but he offered absolutely nothing else. But I suppose that was enough![/quote]You didn''t see him win any other headers, then? Did you take a nap or something?Just because he''s a League One journeyman doesn''t mean he''s incapable of playing well. He won a fair few flick-ons - not all of them found yellow shirts, admittedly, but often the other attacking players weren''t making the right runs into the channels. In my opinion he certainly made more impact than Holty tonight. A couple of times he showed neat touches, shielding the ball and shuttling it out wide to a yellow shirt. Nobody expects him to be skinning three players and lashing in 30-yard howitzers, but for what he was put on the pitch for tonight I thought he did an excellent job.[/quote]He won about 10/20% of his headers I estimate, given that he''s a ''target man'' I don''t think that''s particularly efficient.I honestly don''t think he played well and I don''t think he changed the game by any means. He was trying to flick it on when he was 15 yards from everyone else! His athleticism and ''intelligence'' weren''t superb but as I say, his contribution was what was asked of him. But one good header and controlling the ball and passing it wide does not make a good performance (in my opinion).Don''t think that I think somebody is useless because they''re not scoring wondergoals, I even though Jackson played well [;)] !

[quote user="Carra Rud"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Carra Rud"]It was certainly a good header, but he offered absolutely nothing else. But I suppose that was enough![/quote]You didn''t see him win any other headers, then? Did you take a nap or something?Just because he''s a League One journeyman doesn''t mean he''s incapable of playing well. He won a fair few flick-ons - not all of them found yellow shirts, admittedly, but often the other attacking players weren''t making the right runs into the channels. In my opinion he certainly made more impact than Holty tonight. A couple of times he showed neat touches, shielding the ball and shuttling it out wide to a yellow shirt. Nobody expects him to be skinning three players and lashing in 30-yard howitzers, but for what he was put on the pitch for tonight I thought he did an excellent job.[/quote]He won about 10/20% of his headers I estimate, given that he''s a ''target man'' I don''t think that''s particularly efficient.I honestly don''t think he played well and I don''t think he changed the game by any means. He was trying to flick it on when he was 15 yards from everyone else! His athleticism and ''intelligence'' weren''t superb but as I say, his contribution was what was asked of him. But one good header and controlling the ball and passing it wide does not make a good performance (in my opinion).Don''t think that I think somebody is useless because they''re not scoring wondergoals, I even though Jackson played well [;)] ![/quote]Fair enough... general consensus among everyone sitting around me tonight was that he performed his role really well. I guess you have to look at it in terms of how many headers you expect your centre-backs to win. To be honest, even Holt''s aerial ability pales in insignificance when compared to Iwan - even against huge centre-backs it seemed like he was getting something on 50% of them. He may not have won a lot of headers fair and square, but he was certainly getting something on them and giving the centre backs cause for concern. As for Jackson, he tried hard, and had bags of energy, but is clearly low on confidence. He wasn''t helped by a few occasions in the first half where his pace had got him into good positions wide of goal, but there was nobody in the box for him to try to pick out! Trouble is he needs a run of games to build that confidence, and I''m not sure he''ll get them. Probably better as an impact sub against tiring legs, I reckon...

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Carra Rud"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Carra Rud"]It was certainly a good header, but he offered absolutely nothing else. But I suppose that was enough![/quote]You didn''t see him win any other headers, then? Did you take a nap or something?Just because he''s a League One journeyman doesn''t mean he''s incapable of playing well. He won a fair few flick-ons - not all of them found yellow shirts, admittedly, but often the other attacking players weren''t making the right runs into the channels. In my opinion he certainly made more impact than Holty tonight. A couple of times he showed neat touches, shielding the ball and shuttling it out wide to a yellow shirt. Nobody expects him to be skinning three players and lashing in 30-yard howitzers, but for what he was put on the pitch for tonight I thought he did an excellent job.[/quote]He won about 10/20% of his headers I estimate, given that he''s a ''target man'' I don''t think that''s particularly efficient.I honestly don''t think he played well and I don''t think he changed the game by any means. He was trying to flick it on when he was 15 yards from everyone else! His athleticism and ''intelligence'' weren''t superb but as I say, his contribution was what was asked of him. But one good header and controlling the ball and passing it wide does not make a good performance (in my opinion).Don''t think that I think somebody is useless because they''re not scoring wondergoals, I even though Jackson played well [;)] ![/quote]Fair enough... general consensus among everyone sitting around me tonight was that he performed his role really well. I guess you have to look at it in terms of how many headers you expect your centre-backs to win. To be honest, even Holt''s aerial ability pales in insignificance when compared to Iwan - even against huge centre-backs it seemed like he was getting something on 50% of them. Wilbraham may not have won a lot of headers fair and square tonight, but he was certainly getting something on them and giving the centre backs cause for concern. As for Jackson, he tried hard, and had bags of energy, but is clearly low on confidence. He wasn''t helped by a few occasions in the first half where his pace had got him into good positions wide of goal, but there was nobody in the box for him to try to pick out! Trouble is he needs a run of games to build that confidence, and I''m not sure he''ll get them. Probably better as an impact sub against tiring legs, I reckon...[/quote]Sorry, on re-reading that''s not especially clear.

I think it''s difficult to judge the transfer purely based on the fact we have no clue how much we payed for him. Personally I think it was extremely cheap and if he is holding is own then fair enough, I have seen Norwich- MK Dons a few times, and he has been pretty unnoticable for them both times, and I think he was only a fringe player for them this year. Just proves what a good man manager Lambert is really. He seems to have contributed to some important goals since he has come, so long may it continue!!

Today was a brilliant win, hopefully we can play with more confidence as I think we have lacked that in the last few games, proves how well we are doing even with some poor performances and we are smash and grabbing which we need to do in some spells of the season.

OTBC!

[quote user="Carra Rud"]It was certainly a good header, but he offered absolutely nothing else. But I suppose that was enough![/quote]You all know my opinion.A big awkward lump who gives 110%. You get what you pay for and at £80k you shouldn''t expect much more than that.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Carra Rud"]It was certainly a good header, but he offered absolutely nothing else. But I suppose that was enough![/quote]You all know my opinion.A big awkward lump who gives 110%. You get what you pay for and at £80k you shouldn''t expect much more than that.[/quote]I thought the transfer fee was undisclosed? Granted I think that sounds about right considering he was out of contract in the summer...

A fair point YL1 but we was not a fringe player for MK. He was also highly thought of.

The few times I saw him play for the Dons he always looked a constant threat for them.

When he has come on as sub for us he has made an impact and offered something a bit different for the defenders to cope with.

Thought he was excellent last night. When he plays without Holty you will see the true value of him I think.

Already we are seeing the influence of our coaching staff and he looks as if he has lost a few pounds.

Perhaps his progress and growing acceptance will be similar to the Admiral.

Two points:

1. He has come on and done what was asked of him on more than one occasion in a short career. He has given us extra physical presence when needed and given us an extra option when trying to move the ball forward quickly.

2. He is likely to get better as he becomes more acquainted with the players and gets used to the extra pace in the championship. He has played most of the season at League One level and it is reasonable to expect him to need a bit of time to fully adjust.

I suspect that like Nelson - "he does what it says on the tin!"

I think the Burnley game presents an interesting dilemma about who you play up front. I think I would possibly go with Wilbraham and Holt based on the last two matches Neither of Martin or Jackson are really looking like scoring at the moment so I think his all round game should earn him the nod. He has either won the flick ons or his prescene has meant that we have often landed on the second ball. However it is a far from ideal situation. Considering that he initially intended to be back up to Holt rather than playing alongside him.

I would agree with Carra Rud, Wilbraham does not win all that many headers. Obviously the three subs changed the game, but it wasn''t much better. But when we did pump it long (and we didn''t all the time he was on the pitch) you could see two big men would cause problems if midfield runners came through.

Simeon did ok, but nothing to take note on really. If the right ball is played through, he will beat the offside trap but that is something we need to work on.

I think it is clear (with the way our front pairing is struggling) that at Turf Moor you play two big front men. The pitch is always boggy, carlisle and bikey will love the tustle. But at set pieces we will compete and challenge. Hoolahoops, lansbury, martin I am sure will be involved even if Martin comes off the bench. So playing off Wilbraham and Holt will be good.

I think Wilbraham is an excellent signing for the money and role he brings to the team. His record says not particularly potent in front of goal. But I can see him scoring a few over his 18 month stay, starting with this weekend. But he is not as mentioned a starter for the future, he is plugging a need. Alot of teams won''t fear him but his job to hustle, even if he misses the headers is to allow the creative players time on the ball. I hope that is the case on Saturday

Can''t see Jackson performing well on the Turf Moor pitch so for me easy decision.

I feel Wilbraham takes some pressure off Holt and already adds a new dimension to the attack. Certainly value for money having fed Holt for the goal against Boro and his excellent header to Holt against Millwall. I also think he''s good at attacking and defending set pieces, particularly corners. A good buy, IMO.