Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

In for Michael Brown Apparently

According to Skysports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11709_6663080,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Seem to think he gets himself sent off and involved in needless spats but also has done well at various times in his career.

From comments, he seems to be yet another midfielder. We already have about 8. How many more do we need?

If he can play at the base of the diamond, what does this say about Crofts and Fox?

Brown is a kind of midfielder we currently don''t have in the squad. Crofts is doing a great job at the base of the midfield, but he is better employed further up the pitch. Having someone like Brown breaking up attacks and playing short simple balls will help us matain possesion and leak less goals.

Hopefully, Gill and OTJ can both be sold off as well to stop us having almost enough midfielders for an entire team.

Wonder if he could be used for ball retention as a sub in last 5 minutes in same way as Capello used Beckham. I seem to remember Michael Brown being a very good passer.

I''ve looked him up - aged 33 (most unlike a Lambert signing), been with Portsmouth since 2009 - presumably their attempt to avoid relegation?

He is unlike a Lambert signing true, I''m sure I remember Lambert saying that he would rather someone comes from the Lower leagues rather than people dropping out of the premiership - which Brown has fairly recently. I just can''t seem to find the quote.

It could be someone letting sky know to help him get a move.

Unless its a loan because i believe if he plays for Portsmouth again, they either have to pay his former club more money or automatically sign a new contract which Portsmouth can''t afford to do.

Seems to be exactly the sort of player Lambert wants to bring in. He''s got a real determination and will to win and at 33 brings a wealth of experience.

Absolutely perfect at the base of the diamond with Crofts not firing on all cylinders of late and perhaps being better utilised further forward,

Very plausible if Lansbury isn''t staying.

Very good player. he was on big wages at pompey so won''t come cheap but would add to our midfield variety well. Lets hope he holds no grudges over the shoulder in the face Super Chris treated him to when we played them recently.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Shades of Trevor Hockey?

OTBC

[/quote]

--

I hope not. Hockey was signed in a bid to stop us getting relegated![;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Shades of Trevor Hockey?

OTBC

[/quote]

--

I hope not. Hockey was signed in a bid to stop us getting relegated![;)]

[/quote]

Now, now, don''t you get those inner circle types going!!!

He was a similar signing for a short-term purpose.

Anyway, Lambert hasn''t conceded that we''re safe yet!!!!

[;)]

OTBC

Am I the only one that isn''t impressed with this? I don''t think he is what we need at all.

He is 33 and hasn''t performed consistantly since playing alongside Tonge for Shef Utd. Since then he has played at Fulham and Portsmouth but how many times?

Not that great a player at all IMO and I think we have better. Korey Smith for a start.

Very strange to say so, but if he comes great, I''ll have him, certainly not on the wages he is on at mo. If he plays one more game''s he gets 30k a week. If we don''t get him, I wouldn''t be too bothered. Actually, sod it, lets get him and stop some other club getting him.

He would be good at the base, someone to bring on if need be at the end of the day.

If Michael Brown plays one more game for Portsmouth his contract says he is entitiled to an automatic extension on his contract of I think 2 years. David James had a similar clause but agreed to wave it so he could carry on playing. Depending on which report you read Browns wages are somewhere between £25 and £50K per week. Even if it was the lower figure surely he will just sit around and take the cash then move on. There is no way we can afford those type of wages and cant see why he would come here for £9K a week. 

Not immensley impressed but more so than I was with Wilbrahams.

He is 34 in 10 days and his wages are likely to be astronomical, although he is a combative midfielder of a type we don''t have. 

A move for him would possibly be ''Premiership or bust''.  On this occasion it''s not a risk worth taking in my opinion and probably not in McNally et als either.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]FAO chicken, almost 200 games in the Premier League since leaving Sheff Utd.[/quote]

I take it back, he has played more games than I thought. Still, I don''t think he is that good a player and all that hassle for a one year deal?

If we do sign some of these players like Wilbraham I see them being a short term solution. Wilbraham is on a one year deal for a good reason - it wont cost a ton if we go up and want to offload him.

I should imagine the same will go for Brown.

The problem I see is that Brown will want football being the age he is, and that could force Smith or Crofts out of the team.

Both of those need to be on the pitch for varying reasons. I think Smith gets better with every game he plays. He has adapted to this league as well as anyone and at times has shown good skill and class. If he could just add being able to finish to it he would be awesome.

The first half of the season has seen Crofts put himself up there for one of the players of the season candidates. I do think he is more box to box rather than completely defencive but again it is his first season at this level and he is doing well.

So the question is would Brown want to come in as cover because should we go up I am not sure how much he has left in the tank in terms of premiership ability.