Sign in to follow this  
CantonsHero

Opinions and Player Ratings

Fantastic goal from Parkin; goals like that win matches.Grant Holt denied stall-wall penalty.Norwich all over Cardiff until half-time, including goal ruled out, and cracking the bar.Second half more of the same, until around 20 minutes from the end when it got a bit stale.McPhail lucky to still be on the pitch after jump kicking Russel Martin in the balls. In the melee afterwards our player gets a yellow for a push, fair enough. However, Chopra gets involved with a very violent push and doesn''t get anything.Bellamy should have been booked in the first half for kicking the ball away and then gets booked in second. Lucky to be on the pitch after this and then later on a shove in the back on Russell Martin.Very late on Russell Martin pops in the score a very deserved equaliser, and Chopra who as mentioned should have been booked earlier then puts in an awful tackle on Drury and gets carded.Overall Norwich were both unlucky and lucky to come away with a point. However, Cardiff probably shouldn''t have finished with all 11 men, and were outclassed on the day with only one piece of magic from Parkin getting them anything from this game.Ruddy - 8: Save from Chopra which kept us in the game; could do nothing about the goal.Russell Martin - 10: Kept Bellamy quiet, scored equaliser and looked fantastic.Whitbread - 8: Was marking Parkin at the goal and let him get away, but he closed down well so only magic could score. Magic sadly happened.Barnett - 8: Seemed relatively solid though often one step from where he should have been.Drury - 9: Attacked well, and defended very well.Crofts: 7 - Solid and kept the ball pinging aroundLansbury 7 - A few passes astray but overall part of a superb midfield.Hoolahan 9 - Was everywhere and was doing everything, and set up pass for goal.Fox 7 - Again; a good job in an impressive midfield.Holt - 7: Was everywhere and deserved penalty but defence kept him relatively quiet.Martin - 7: superb in first half but went off the boil very quickly.---Wilbraham (a sub 8) - Very busy when he came on and looks a nuisance. A foot left and he would have had his first goal. Keeper beaten.Smith (a sub 8) - Added a bit of width to right side, and did solid job when he came on.Lappin (a sub 10) - Norwich''s suck to centre and open to left strategy works wonders when he''s on, and he set the goal up. Well done.---Ref: 5 - penalty decision was poor and Chopra and Bellamy should have had early cards. Probably got McPhail right, but it was close.

I missed the last few minutes,so can''t comment on the goal.Most of what you said is spot on.I wont nit-pick with your marks either[;)]

The penalty wasn''t one imo,but there was a handball later on that could easily have been given.(My opinion may change after the highlights tonight)

Overall,we played some fantastic football,but i got a bit frustrated when we took one too many touches in their box.

Pretty much agree, although I thought Drury looked tired & Lansbury a bit out of touch, so I''d knock a point or 2 off. Holt & Fox I''d put up to 8.

We were amazing, bar that final defence splitting ball.

Ratings:

Ruddy - 8

R. Martin - 8

Barnett - 7

Whitbread - 7

Drury - 7

Fox - 7

Crofts - 8

Lansbury - 8

Hoolahan - 8

Holt - 6

Martin - 5

2 home games running that Martin has been woeful.

Ruddy - 8

R. Martin - 8

Barnett - 8

Whitbread - 7

Drury - 7

Fox - 7

Crofts -7

Lansbury - 7

Hoolahan - 9

Holt - 7

C.Martin - 7

All in all a very good team performance with everybody playing their part, Players to stand out were; Hoolahan, running the show and a combination of R.Martin & Barnett nullifying the threat of Bellamy.

Martin wasn''t woeful.He was on a par with Holty today.Neither were fantastic,but neither were that poor.At least a 7 for both.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Fantastic goal from Parkin; goals like that win matches.Grant Holt denied stall-wall penalty.Norwich all over Cardiff until half-time, including goal ruled out, and cracking the bar.Second half more of the same, until around 20 minutes from the end when it got a bit stale.McPhail lucky to still be on the pitch after jump kicking Russel Martin in the balls. In the melee afterwards our player gets a yellow for a push, fair enough. However, Chopra gets involved with a very violent push and doesn''t get anything.Bellamy should have been booked in the first half for kicking the ball away and then gets booked in second. Lucky to be on the pitch after this and then later on a shove in the back on Russell Martin.Very late on Russell Martin pops in the score a very deserved equaliser, and Chopra who as mentioned should have been booked earlier then puts in an awful tackle on Drury and gets carded.Overall Norwich were both unlucky and lucky to come away with a point. However, Cardiff probably shouldn''t have finished with all 11 men, and were outclassed on the day with only one piece of magic from Parkin getting them anything from this game.Ruddy - 8: Save from Chopra which kept us in the game; could do nothing about the goal.Russell Martin - 10: Kept Bellamy quiet, scored equaliser and looked fantastic.Whitbread - 8: Was marking Parkin at the goal and let him get away, but he closed down well so only magic could score. Magic sadly happened.Barnett - 8: Seemed relatively solid though often one step from where he should have been.Drury - 9: Attacked well, and defended very well.Crofts: 7 - Solid and kept the ball pinging aroundLansbury 7 - A few passes astray but overall part of a superb midfield.Hoolahan 9 - Was everywhere and was doing everything, and set up pass for goal.Fox 7 - Again; a good job in an impressive midfield.Holt - 7: Was everywhere and deserved penalty but defence kept him relatively quiet.Martin - 7: superb in first half but went off the boil very quickly.---Wilbraham (a sub 8) - Very busy when he came on and looks a nuisance. A foot left and he would have had his first goal. Keeper beaten.Smith (a sub 8) - Added a bit of width to right side, and did solid job when he came on.Lappin (a sub 10) - Norwich''s suck to centre and open to left strategy works wonders when he''s on, and he set the goal up. Well done.---Ref: 5 - penalty decision was poor and Chopra and Bellamy should have had early cards. Probably got McPhail right, but it was close.[/quote]F*ck me !! A post that I could not possibly add to.Spot, spot on mate !!

[quote user="Captain Holts Derby Day Hat-Trick"]

Martin - 5

2 home games running that Martin has been woeful.[/quote]HAH I can pick up on this though.Actually watch Martin next home game mate, seriously.His link up play is second to none in our squad in all honesty, if he was scoring more you would not be moaning.I think if not in the team you would complain "Norwich are lacking something "Chris is getting a lot of flack this season and honestly does not deserve it !!

Agree with the OP on all player ratings except Lansbury gave the ball away a bit too much.

I''m one of Chrissy Martin''s biggest defenders but I thought he was a bit below par today.

But let''s not grumble, a good performance and good point in the end.

[quote user="Herman "]

I missed the last few minutes,so can''t comment on the goal.Most of what you said is spot on.I wont nit-pick with your marks either[;)]

The penalty wasn''t one imo,but there was a handball later on that could easily have been given.(My opinion may change after the highlights tonight)

Overall,we played some fantastic football,but i got a bit frustrated when we took one too many touches in their box.

[/quote]

I think your opinion will change if they show it from the right angle.

When I saw it live it looked like a pen. Saw it replayed from a couple of angles, didn''t look like one then there was replay with perfect angle where Holt is definitely fouled.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

When I saw it live it looked like a pen. Saw it replayed from a couple of angles, didn''t look like one then there was replay with perfect angle where Holt is definitely fouled.

[/quote]

Even after one replay i wasn''t convinced,so yeah,i would like to see it again.Incidents like that make you realise how tough it is for a ref!

I do watch Chris Martin closely, every single game, and I have come to the conclusion that he is a light-weight wuss. Can''t help it, you may (and will) think I''m wrong but that''s just my opinion of him.

Ruddy: 7Good performance. Very close to their goal (which was fantastic) and made a very good save against Chopra I believe in the second half. Only one dodgy kickR. Martin: 9Brillliant! nullified the threat of Bellamy and attacked with pace and determination, early injury scare but came back strong. Good finish. Joint MOTMBarnett: 8Covered for R. Martin well when he pushed forward and looked calm and comfortable besides Whitbread. Needs to aim offensive headers better is my only criticisim.Whitbread: 8Looks classy and calm on the ball, some good passes and isn''t shy to push forward. Very powerful in the air Drury: 7Defended well, sweeped up attacks and rarely let a wide man past him, nasty challange on him by Chopra but got straight up.Fox: 7Dictated our attacks from the back, slow passes equaled slow build up fast passes equaled fast attacks. Won a suprising ammount of headers. Some great long passes too R. Martin. Cracking shot in the first half.Crofts: 7Full of energy and kept on running. Looks like he needs time to adapt to a right hand role. Good passing and covering. Came very close to getting a couple of good shotsHoolahan: 9Ran all over the place. Great pace and determination. Took players on and passed well. Freakily good at making quick decisive passes. Needed to shoot a bit more. Joint MOTMLansbury: 6Harsh I know. Compared to the others he looked slow and off touch but seeing as he only just came back from injury I can let it slide.C Martin: 7Looked very good first half. Had a very good shot and set up two more. Linked up well with Holt and Hooly. Second half he tried hard (including a tackle on Bellamy in his own area) but things weren''t going his way. Substitution was right choice.Holt: 8Not as many chances as he would like but full of energy and skill. Good link up play. Won a lot of headers. Should''ve had a penalty.SubsWilbraham: 6/7Good hold up play. Nearly scored. Played role in our goal. good defensive header to Ruddy after he came onSmith: 7Good energy. Ran about 40 yards to cover R. Martin. Showed why he is rated so highly.Lappin: 7Set up goal. Defended well, looked good

[quote user="Captain Holts Derby Day Hat-Trick"]We were amazing, bar that final defence splitting ball.

Ratings:

Ruddy - 8

R. Martin - 8

Barnett - 7

Whitbread - 7

Drury - 7

Fox - 7

Crofts - 8

Lansbury - 8

Hoolahan - 8

Holt - 6

Martin - 5

2 home games running that Martin has been woeful.[/quote]Rating Lansbury higher than Fox - really?! I thought Lansbury gave the ball away too much, and Fox had a really consistent game. My ratings:Ruddy - 8R.Martin - 9Barnett - 7Whitbread - 7Drury - 7Fox - 8Crofts - 7Lansbury - 6Hoolahan - 9 [MOTM]Holt - 6Martin - 6Wilbraham - 6Lappin - 7Smith - 6Special mention to Russell Martin, who was almost faultless today. Hoolahan was absolutely controlling the match, along with Fox, in the middle of the pitch. Finally, Ruddy, who didn''t have a huge amount to do, but showed very good handling when dealing with some awkward skidding shots/crosses and was dominant in the air today. Also a save that probably won us a point when Chopra was put through by Bellamy. Frustrating performance, we controlled the match but didn''t really generate enough clear cut chances. That said, a very very valuable point - especially when you look at the table tonight.

[quote user="Captain Holts Derby Day Hat-Trick"]I do watch Chris Martin closely, every single game, and I have come to the conclusion that he is a light-weight wuss. Can''t help it, you may (and will) think I''m wrong but that''s just my opinion of him.[/quote]Yes your wrong :)Anyways, moving away ....Thought Lambert got the substitutions 110% spot on this week ! :)

Lansbury did look a bit off par, but then Lambert said he is not 100% fit in the post match interview so Lansbury can be well and truely excused :)

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even after one replay i wasn''t convinced,so yeah,i would like to see it again.Incidents like that make you realise how tough it is for a ref!

[/quote]

I have seen it on the monitor trust me it was a penalty stonewall 100% and anyother phrase you want to use. Unfortuately the reason it was missed was the 3 previous dives that Holt made.

You THINK i''m wrong. I THINK you''re wrong, so it''s all opinions. Be a boring place if we all agreed and sucked up to everybody on every thread.

I''m starting to think I''m getting a bit of a reputation on here as a bit of a moaner looking back at other threads. I''m geninely far from it. I love our club, players, staff and fans and I support every player on the pitch, regardless of my opinion. I''d love nothing more than Chrissy to go and bang in 15 before the end of the season.

I think the problem for Chrissy Martin is that he isn''t Grant Holt.Grant Holt is Norwich at the moment. If you''re not watching the game and someone told you it was 1-0 Norwich; you would assume Grant Holt. Anyone who comes in whether its Jackson, Martin or Wilbri; they''re not Holt and will always get the stick.

[quote user="Captain Holts Derby Day Hat-Trick"].

I''m starting to think I''m getting a bit of a reputation on here as a bit of a moaner
[/quote]NoSurely not

Captain Holt, entitle to your opinions but to call Martin a lightweight wuss suggests you''ve never seen the guy play! Or you''re somewhat deluded.Whilst he definately needs a goal to re-install some confidence thats much needed, his link up play, positioning and flick-ons etc are better than pretty much anyone else in our team.I think a special mention really needs to go out to David Fox who i thought was absolutely fantastic. Passing was spot on today, showed he can do just as well as Lansbury in that field. Picked the ball up from deep and spread some lovely 50 yard passes out to the full backs as well as some very good give-and-go''s. My man of the match, personally.

Wouldn''t disagree on most of the marks, but I saw a different Barnett. Outstanding performance, didn''t miss a header at CB, filled in RB when Bellamy broke, always available by dropping off and making the angle to switch the play.

Everyone keeps saying I haven''t seen him play!!! I''m a season ticket holder ffs!

He gets pushed off the ball far too easily. He may well win a lot of flick-on''s but they never go to anyone in a yellow shirt (I know that''s not necessarily his fault sometimes). I can''t help it. It''s just a gut instinct you get on a player. I just don''t rate him.

Over generous marks for me - we started poorly and paid the price - teh combination for their goal was ok but our defenders seemed to allow them too much space. Fortunately

Ruddy 8 Looked assured and solid for me - did not look like he had any chance with their goal.

Martin 8

Drury 7

Whitbread 6 Not put under too much pressure as cardiff sat back. Struggled with the bulk of parkin who got 3 good efforts in on goal by losing him

Barnett 7 Covered bellamy well when martin was forward and had chopra safely tamed.

Fox 7 Impressed me - worked hard and one of the few who was willing to take the ball - quieter in the second half

Crofts 5 Perhaps I expected too much - seemed to not want possession, hiding amongst their midfielder, when he got it treated the ball as a hot potato and slow possession each time he got it. Not surprised he was subbed.

Lansbury 5 Loved his effort today and his attitude - clearly as frustrated with his performance to as the crowd were. He seemed fit enough but was crowded out and we did not get the ball to his feet well enough (back 4 and crofts in particular failed here) but when he did his touch was poor and he simply had no positive influence on the game. Looked like he was just back from injury and know he will do better.

Hoolahan 9 Wow. I would love to see the stats but it would not surprise me if he won more tackles than the rest of the city midfielders out together today - his defensive work was as impressive as his use of the ball; tireless, crisp and direct - everything good about wes was on show today; would have been a 10 if he had taken our best chance of the day in the first half. Outclassed Bellamy as the most talented player on the pitch today

C Martin 6 Struggled in the air and looked our striker most likely to score. Disappeared when replacing Lansbury in the hole - suggesting the space for that role was not available to use.

Holt 5 OMG. Was this the same player we saw destroy Ipswich? Where was his movement around the pitch? Where was his commitment and energy? Where was the link up play? Persistently offside and even had his back to Chrissy martins first half sweet turn & pass - so off the pace of the game today. My daughter described he best - he lolloped about all day. Did deserve to be subbed - woeful.

Subs

Lappin 6 Solid as ever and delivered a couple of good crosses.

Wilbraham 7 Holt suggested that Hudson was an above champs level defender - the wheelie bin showed hudson was not, got in a couple of decent efforts in. Should he have been on earlier?

Smith 5 On for Martin - not much time to show

Finally having had to leave my lower barclay season ticket can only lament the game from the peace and quiet of Jarrold block H. I was too loud for the area and was chastised by my daughter for calling for holts penalty and criticising Chopras shocking late tackle at the end of the game - she normally tolerates identical behaviour elsewhere. Passion - seems you can show too much of it.

Ruddy - 8 

(made a few really good saves when required but all in all, didn''t really have much to do)R. Martin - 9 Barnett - 7

Whitbread - 7

Drury - 7

Fox - 9Crofts - 8

Lansbury - 6 (thought he struggled to get a rhythm going today)Hoolahan - 8

Holt - 7 (was fairly quiet compared to recent games but effort was there as usual)Martin - 6toss up between R Martin & Fox for MOTM