Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Fry and Smith A' Listers?

[quote user="ryan1992"]

Stephen Fry is definately an A list celebrity. He is one of the most well known people from the tele in this country, and is huge in the U.S. I have a good feeling about this appointment. Did you see his Anglia TV interview where he said he may not have the £23m to get us out of debt, but he knows people who do. Delia is one of the best known chefs in the country, and has put alot of investment into the club, But people overlook this as nowadays the only investment acceptable for some people is the kind of investment Man City and Chelsea have had but many sides would love to have Delia at the helm. Some people are never happy.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say he is huge in the US, I would actually say very few people out there have heard of him. But within the UK Fry and Delia are probably two of the most commonly known "celebs".

I am still confused as to why this is an arguement though? I doubt Fry will bring investment to the club, but to be honest there are very few people out there who can bring investment to a club, certainly investment you might want.

I think Delia is an "A" lister but I''m not so sure about Mr Fry. They''re both quite famous (in this country) and would be recognised by most people on any high street anywhere in the UK, though. Delia is one of that select few who doesn''t need her surname added in order for people to know who she is.

[quote user="ref89"]Stephen Fry is known globally.  He is one of the most respected comedians in the UK etc etc, Delia is a legend in the media.  Between them we have one of the best known boards in the country, which is no bad thing when mixed with the obvious accumen of McNally and Bowkett.

Stop being such a prat.  Fry is Norfolk born and bred and will help to raise the profile of the club. 
[/quote]

Stephen is Norfolk born and bred?.... Is Hampstead, a quaint little village on the outskirts of Reepham?

What''s next, Delia was born in the maternity wing of the old Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in Woking?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="ref89"]Stephen Fry is known globally.  He is one of the most respected comedians in the UK etc etc, Delia is a legend in the media.  Between them we have one of the best known boards in the country, which is no bad thing when mixed with the obvious accumen of McNally and Bowkett.Stop being such a prat.  Fry is Norfolk born and bred and will help to raise the profile of the club.  [/quote]

Stephen is Norfolk born and bred?.... Is Hampstead, a quaint little village on the outskirts of Reepham?

What''s next, Delia was born in the maternity wing of the old Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in Woking?

[/quote]Chilax people least Michael Wyn Jones is English[;)]

I can''t work out why anyone would give a toss who the EDP describes as ''A listers''. However, a well-connected source at the club has told me that the puppet man,Marigold and one of those twins off the market will be added to the board soon.

IF TOM CRUISE DOES NOT INVEST IN NCFC I AM GOING TO DO A MASSIVE FLOUNCE ON HERE [:@]

One of the very few people that are known and recognised by their christian name alone - Delia. Say what you like about her, but she is definitely not Z list!

[quote user="Jack Flash"]One of the very few people that are known and recognised by their christian name alone - Delia. Say what you like about her, but she is definitely not Z list![/quote]

Delia may be regularly ''Brahms and Liszt''.....but certainly - not ''Z'' list.....

[quote user="Hugh Janus"]

I can''t work out why anyone would give a toss who the EDP describes as ''A listers''. However, a well-connected source at the club has told me that the puppet man,Marigold and one of those twins off the market will be added to the board soon.

[/quote]

Don''t tell me, the one who supports Ipswich. [:O]

The puppet man is in Gt. Yarmouth now [:o]

Oh and shutup Wiz. [:)] You had a period of good posts, reasonable debate and sensible thoughts. The past couple of weeks you''ve dragged yourself down a bit! [:)]

A or Z list does it really matter, the main thing is neither have the money to take this club to the next level and while  all we ever do is talk about wanting investment other clubs go out and get it , Leicester being the latest.

Stephen Fry is known across the world and is more well known than you clearly realise. Z-list? I think you are massively direspectful of the achievements that the man has made in his field.

Do you just sit stewing all day over things like this? Must suck to be as bitter as you.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

So says that respected rag the EDP.

Don''t make me laugh.

Johnny Depp, Renee Zellweger, Tom Cruise and Sandra Bullock are A'' list celebrities.

Our prize pair, might, just might, at a push scrape a Z in celebrity circles.

Get real Archant and knock off sucking up to our two Z'' listers!

[/quote]Wiz. I''m sorry, but this is unacceptably ridiculous. And I demand an apology from you for typing such a deliberately fact-free statement unless....can you name me 3 British (we are a British, not global club/brand/business) people in the national public eye, who have more than 7 million people following their daily updates, who proudly associate themselves with our club and have done for a long time,who are on prime time national television regularly, are regularly invited to present awards ceremonies watched by a global television audience such as the BAFTAs,are viewed by the outstanding majority of the British public as a naitional treasure, are known to be extremely intelligent and in no way could be accused of band wagon jumping or doing things to shamelessly plug their own profile. I''m only asking for 3, and by your assertion that he is Z list, that would suggest you know of 25 who more qualify as A-listers (see my point above about how we have no interest in attracting anyone other than a Brit or at the very least someone who predominantly works/spends time in this country).Give up now? Right, apologise then.If no financial investment comes as a result of Fry''s appointment to the board, then he still will not do us ANY harm at all from being involved, and will only raise the profile of the club in the best possible way. I look forward to hearing from you.Piglet.(formerly Seat0123)

[quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Don''t make me laugh.

Johnny Depp, Renee Zellweger, Tom Cruise and Sandra Bullock are A'' list celebrities.

[/quote]

Wiz. I''m sorry, but this is unacceptably ridiculous. And I demand an apology from you for typing such a deliberately fact-free statement unless....
can you name me 3 British (we are a British, not global club/brand/business) people in the national public eye,
who have more than 7 million people following their daily updates,
who proudly associate themselves with our club and have done for a long time,
who are on prime time national television regularly, are regularly invited to present awards ceremonies watched by a global television audience such as the BAFTAs,
are viewed by the outstanding majority of the British public as a naitional treasure,
are known to be extremely intelligent and in no way could be accused of band wagon jumping or doing things to shamelessly plug their own profile.

I''m only asking for 3, and by your assertion that he is Z list, that would suggest you know of 25 who more qualify as A-listers (see my point above about how we have no interest in attracting anyone other than a Brit or at the very least someone who predominantly works/spends time in this country).

Give up now? Right, apologise then.

If no financial investment comes as a result of Fry''s appointment to the board, then he still will not do us ANY harm at all from being involved, and will only raise the profile of the club in the best possible way.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Piglet.

(formerly Seat0123)
[/quote]I''ve given you 3 Oscar, and BAFTA award winners already Ziggy, McKellen, Attenbourgh and Winslet all British. All three considered National treasures etc. And there are a few Dames I haven''t even listed yet, Dame Judi Dench for example.

So no apology owed imo there.

I enjoy Stephen''s work, when subtitles are availible for me! he''s a funny, intelligent guy, but he''s no Palin, Cleese etc imo.

But he''s not an A list celebrity.

[quote user="Wxyz"]A or Z list does it really matter, the main thing is neither have the money to take this club to the next level and while  all we ever do is talk about wanting investment other clubs go out and get it , Leicester being the latest.
[/quote]Bloody exactly!

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]Yet another attention seeking post. Fear not folks, Fry will be the best thing since sliced bread in the old fools eyes next week! Another U-turn anyone?[/quote]Old and irrelevent argurement, your continued use of it is antiquated now.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

The celebrity wiz most associates with is Katie Price...

[/quote]Only if I need to vomit in a hurry![+o(]

Horrible shallow person.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Don''t make me laugh.

[/quote]Wiz. I''m sorry, but this is unacceptably ridiculous. And I demand an apology from you for typing such a deliberately fact-free statement unless....can you name me 3 British (we are a British, not global club/brand/business) people in the national public eye, who have more than 7 million people following their daily updates, who proudly associate themselves with our club and have done for a long time,who are on prime time national television regularly, are regularly invited to present awards ceremonies watched by a global television audience such as the BAFTAs,are viewed by the outstanding majority of the British public as a naitional treasure, are known to be extremely intelligent and in no way could be accused of band wagon jumping or doing things to shamelessly plug their own profile. I''m only asking for 3, and by your assertion that he is Z list, that would suggest you know of 25 who more qualify as A-listers (see my point above about how we have no interest in attracting anyone other than a Brit or at the very least someone who predominantly works/spends time in this country).Give up now? Right, apologise then.If no financial investment comes as a result of Fry''s appointment to the board, then he still will not do us ANY harm at all from being involved, and will only raise the profile of the club in the best possible way. I look forward to hearing from you.Piglet.(formerly Seat0123)[/quote]I''ve given you 3 Oscar, and BAFTA award winners already Ziggy, McKellen, Attenbourgh and Winslet all British. All three considered National treasures etc. And there are a few Dames I haven''t even listed yet, Dame Judi Dench for example.

I enjoy Stephen''s work, when subtitles are availible for me! he''s a funny, intelligent guy, but he''s no Palin, Cleese etc imo.

[/quote]Winslet isn''t a national treasure. And in terms of instand recognition of the general public, Fry is on our screens far more often than any of those.But I will be fair, and accept your opinion that they are deemed by you to be of a higher celebrity/recognition standing than Fry.However, NONE of those you have mentioned have any widely known interest in football. So let us moderate the question slightly, how many of the individuals who are "more famous" than Stephen and are well known to genuinely love the game of association football, would you be more pleased with being accociated with our club? As there''s no point in having McKellen or the Queen affiliated with the club if they don''t know the first thing about the sport. So let us look at those in the public eye who have nailed their colours to the mast: Robbie Williams (Port Vale) is probably (sadly) more famous to the general populous than Stephen Fry, James Corden (West Ham), Russel Brand (West Ham), Ray Winstone (West Ham) all are prominent culturally (currently) and football fans. Would you really rather have ANY of them as a director? All the aforementioned are love/hate figures, with more fleeting presences in the national conscience than Fry. Can you name any of those famouse figures with any gravitas that have the first clue about football that wouldn''t be seen as a one-off pathetic marketing ploy like Mike Tyson being wheeled out at posh the other day (i think it was posh, it was embarassing anyway) and Wacko Jacko at Exeter with Geller a few years back?Stephen Fry has at no point promised to deliver 23 million. He has assured us that he knows people that could. He is chums with royalty, so that''s not a lie. If nothing comes of it financially (which neither of us can be certain it will or won''t) my point is that it ONLY will do good in terms of the wider public''s knowledge/view of the club.I don''t understand the satisfaction you would derive or what point you think it helps you make to reiterate that he and Delia (but particularly Fry) are Z-list?Because to apply logic to this argument, depending on the alphabet you are using (forgive me for being presumptious and guessing English) then that would put these two individuals in the bottom possible class of celebrity. So they are with big brother contestants, Channel 5 presenters and Eurovision hopefuls then? Or are they "above" someone who has 1.7millino people subcribed to his thoughts in your eyes?An apology for the Z-listr comment please, and I''ll then accept that your opinion is that he won''t do us any tangible good. I will then look forward to the opportunity to show you that his appointment in an ambassadorial role has.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Don''t make me laugh.

[/quote]Wiz. I''m sorry, but this is unacceptably ridiculous. And I demand an apology from you for typing such a deliberately fact-free statement unless....can you name me 3 British (we are a British, not global club/brand/business) people in the national public eye, who have more than 7 million people following their daily updates, who proudly associate themselves with our club and have done for a long time,who are on prime time national television regularly, are regularly invited to present awards ceremonies watched by a global television audience such as the BAFTAs,are viewed by the outstanding majority of the British public as a naitional treasure, are known to be extremely intelligent and in no way could be accused of band wagon jumping or doing things to shamelessly plug their own profile. I''m only asking for 3, and by your assertion that he is Z list, that would suggest you know of 25 who more qualify as A-listers (see my point above about how we have no interest in attracting anyone other than a Brit or at the very least someone who predominantly works/spends time in this country).Give up now? Right, apologise then.If no financial investment comes as a result of Fry''s appointment to the board, then he still will not do us ANY harm at all from being involved, and will only raise the profile of the club in the best possible way. I look forward to hearing from you.Piglet.(formerly Seat0123)[/quote]I''ve given you 3 Oscar, and BAFTA award winners already Ziggy, McKellen, Attenbourgh and Winslet all British. All three considered National treasures etc. And there are a few Dames I haven''t even listed yet, Dame Judi Dench for example.

[/quote]This is a man who has been in the Harry Potter films (one of the biggest franchises in movie history) the recently released Alice in Wonderland, V for Vendetta, is hardly off British TV screens, has been in some of Britains best loved comedy series and is generally one of the most respected men in British Television. Add to that a list of famous friends longer than Kris Akabusi''s legendary penis and this is a man who is certainly not Z list. Sure he is not up with McKellen and Winslet fair enough but he is an extremely well known and well connected man.As for Delia many on hear let their hatred blind them to how famous she actually is. You ask anybody to tell you about Norwich City FC they may struggle. Ask them to tell you about Delia Smith and I bet you they would know who she is and what she is famous for.

[quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Don''t make me laugh.

[/quote]

Wiz. I''m sorry, but this is unacceptably ridiculous. And I demand an apology from you for typing such a deliberately fact-free statement unless....
can you name me 3 British (we are a British, not global club/brand/business) people in the national public eye,
who have more than 7 million people following their daily updates,
who proudly associate themselves with our club and have done for a long time,
who are on prime time national television regularly, are regularly invited to present awards ceremonies watched by a global television audience such as the BAFTAs,
are viewed by the outstanding majority of the British public as a naitional treasure,
are known to be extremely intelligent and in no way could be accused of band wagon jumping or doing things to shamelessly plug their own profile.

I''m only asking for 3, and by your assertion that he is Z list, that would suggest you know of 25 who more qualify as A-listers (see my point above about how we have no interest in attracting anyone other than a Brit or at the very least someone who predominantly works/spends time in this country).

Give up now? Right, apologise then.

If no financial investment comes as a result of Fry''s appointment to the board, then he still will not do us ANY harm at all from being involved, and will only raise the profile of the club in the best possible way.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Piglet.

(formerly Seat0123)
[/quote]I''ve given you 3 Oscar, and BAFTA award winners already Ziggy, McKellen, Attenbourgh and Winslet all British. All three considered National treasures etc. And there are a few Dames I haven''t even listed yet, Dame Judi Dench for example.

[/quote]

Winslet isn''t a national treasure. And in terms of instand recognition of the general public, Fry is on our screens far more often than any of those.

But I will be fair, and accept your opinion that they are deemed by you to be of a higher celebrity/recognition standing than Fry.

However, NONE of those you have mentioned have any widely known interest in football. So let us moderate the question slightly, how many of the individuals who are "more famous" than Stephen and are well known to genuinely love the game of association football, would you be more pleased with being accociated with our club? As there''s no point in having McKellen or the Queen affiliated with the club if they don''t know the first thing about the sport.

So let us look at those in the public eye who have nailed their colours to the mast: Robbie Williams (Port Vale) is probably (sadly) more famous to the general populous than Stephen Fry, James Corden (West Ham), Russel Brand (West Ham), Ray Winstone (West Ham) all are prominent culturally (currently) and football fans. Would you really rather have ANY of them as a director? All the aforementioned are love/hate figures, with more fleeting presences in the national conscience than Fry. Can you name any of those famouse figures with any gravitas that have the first clue about football that wouldn''t be seen as a one-off pathetic marketing ploy like Mike Tyson being wheeled out at posh the other day (i think it was posh, it was embarassing anyway) and Wacko Jacko at Exeter with Geller a few years back?

Stephen Fry has at no point promised to deliver 23 million. He has assured us that he knows people that could. He is chums with royalty, so that''s not a lie. If nothing comes of it financially (which neither of us can be certain it will or won''t) my point is that it ONLY will do good in terms of the wider public''s knowledge/view of the club.

I don''t understand the satisfaction you would derive or what point you think it helps you make to reiterate that he and Delia (but particularly Fry) are Z-list?

Because to apply logic to this argument, depending on the alphabet you are using (forgive me for being presumptious and guessing English) then that would put these two individuals in the bottom possible class of celebrity. So they are with big brother contestants, Channel 5 presenters and Eurovision hopefuls then? Or are they "above" someone who has 1.7millino people subcribed to his thoughts in your eyes?

An apology for the Z-listr comment please, and I''ll then accept that your opinion is that he won''t do us any tangible good. I will then look forward to the opportunity to show you that his appointment in an ambassadorial role has.
[/quote]Okay I''ll apologise for the Z list rating, it was a tad spiteful of me, but on the A'' list I stand firm Ziggy.

Nice try Piggy. I have been arguing for a couple of days that Fry is fabulously well connected and respected.   There are all sorts of people (including royalty) who would take a call from Stephen but not from Robbie or Corden.   He can access people with influence and money across the world either through his own contacts or through third parties.

He may not be a household name in the States but we are not looking for a huge fanbase there; we are looking for money and he is hugely respected amongst the intelligentsia and high society.

It is not helped when even the EDP calls him a comedian.  That is like calling Richard Branson a bloke that used to sell records or Tony Blair an ex MP.  True but hardly the whole story.   Fry has done comedy including highly regarded intellectual comedy such as Blackadder but as a sucessful actor, novelist and commentator, he reaches parts of society that others can only dream of.   His highly intelligent and educated inner circle of friends call him "Google" such is his knowledge and intellect.

None of this matters to Wiz who prefers the extraordinary notion that Delia has appointed Fry to help her sack the Chief Executive that she appointed and who has turned round the Club that she owned and made her a fortune.    The motive for this move is opaque but no doubt Wiz will explain why Delia wants to self destruct.

I am reminded of the Duke of Wellington''s comment "If you believe that, you will believe anything".

I guess those of us with sufficient knowledge of the real world of business and influence will have to wait to be proven right whilst in the dark benighted world of Wiz he can rave and foam at comedians on the board to his heart''s content.

It''s ok CC, Wiz has apologised for going ridiculously over the top, we will now hopefully not have to wait long for how brilliantly connected Fry is to make a difference to the club. Then Wiz will show the same humility he has just shown in conceding we were right. I have total faith in that.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Don''t make me laugh.

[/quote]So... Wiz makes a perfectly valid point about Stephen Fry and you''re down on him like a ton of bricks........Maybe it says it all that our ''Z'' list supporters are too easily pleased with whatever the ''Saviour'' dishes up.... be it on the pitch or in the Boardroom. The fact is that Fry is NOT suitable material to have any say in the workings of a serious football and should stick to his inane tv quiz shows made up of his luvvie ''Z'' list guests.Anyone who thinks this is anything other than a farce too far is clearly rather more impressed by celebrity than the game of football.... which is what NCFC used to be all about.

[quote]He may not be a household name in the States but we are not looking for a

huge fanbase there; we are looking for money and he is hugely respected

amongst the intelligentsia and high society.[/quote]Even if all that happens is that we become known as the "thinking persons'' football team", would that be so bad ?  Like most on here, I really can''t see anything bad in this.  And anyway, what exactly does Kate Winslet know about football ?

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Don''t make me laugh.

[/quote]So... Wiz makes a perfectly valid point about Stephen Fry and you''re down on him like a ton of bricks........Maybe it says it all that our ''Z'' list supporters are too easily pleased with whatever the ''Saviour'' dishes up.... be it on the pitch or in the Boardroom. The fact is that Fry is NOT suitable material to have any say in the workings of a serious football and should stick to his inane tv quiz shows made up of his luvvie ''Z'' list guests.Anyone who thinks this is anything other than a farce too far is clearly rather more impressed by celebrity than the game of football.... which is what NCFC used to be all about.[/quote]Steady cluck before you start throwing insults about. Can you provide a reference to where there has been ANY intimation that he is going to be having  "any say in the workings of a serious football club"?Because if not, then please do not muddy threads with a "Z" list post.And don''t patronise Wiz, he''s more than capable of sticking up for himself. Not everyone who doesn''t want to punch Delia in the face automatically has the view she''s a "Saviour". What a narrow minded and wide of the mark post.