Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Has the club learnt anything today?

Funny how none of those moaning about prices have mentioned that the Gillingham cup game is kids for a quid....[:|]

We have just had a year of buying players instead of selling our best ones then hearing the club whinging that it`s skint and can`t compete, and lo and behold the club is on the up again.  Are people really going to begrudge paying a few quid extra for that, after years of benefitting from cheap tickets??!

I think the club has got the price of the Gillingham game about right and I will gladly pay that for a cup game.

I just think that friendlies are just that and therefore should not be used to make money from the fans for a warm up game. If it had been a tenner or less then I think it would have attracted a near full house and the type of fans that would have gone would have been the type who buy new shirts etc from the club shop as they dont get to go too often.

I might be wrong on this, but they are my thoughts.

[quote user="City penguin"]

Ticket prices will rise and so they should. The club needs all the money it can get. We are below average i would think in prices anyway so its not like they will end up paying 40quid a ticket like QPR fans do or somthing. The rises will only be a couple of quid a game whats that these days half a pint? The club should charge the maximum they can while maintaining sell out crowds. It is quite clear that we can charge more. I seem to remember the Harltepool home game being about £23 pounds. The attendance was 25400ish with 400 from ''pool. So thats 25k home fans willing to pay 20 odd quid against i piss poor team in leauge one. Im sure those casual fans wont be put off by a 2 or 3 pound rise for a game in the championship in the same category, most likely a scunthorpe or Doncaster. And tickets for Watford wich im sure due to being first game of the season is in the highest bracket at £31 pounds being a fair price.

As long as the club keep heavily discounted junior tickets it will ensure a large following for years to come, but now we have the support and means to maximise our reveune .

[/quote]CP don''t be fooled into thinking every fan will fork out if prices rise. A couple of quid here and there soon adds up if you have a family of 5 like me, and if the club get to greedy and take advantage of loyal fans they will pay the price for it  in the long run. Why change what has been a winning formular for the last few years .I can''t help but think that Mc Nally is eyeing up our great attendances and is going to try it on with price hikes and hope us fans will continue to fork out . If fans are prepared to pay the extra good for them but i personally think it is a bad move if we go down the road of fleecing the loyal fan base we have at the moment.

i think it was a bit much to charge for a team who will be fighting relegation in the premiership, if it had been a top premiership side or european opposition it might have been more justified.

I can''t help but think that for years this club has focused too much on maximising the number of season ticket holders, rather than the actual revenue per seat.

The recent comments from Alan Bowkett, plus the recent pricing for friendlies, suggest that this might be shifting towards a more commercially minded approach being adopted.

Whether this is just the "first step in the right direction" or, "a step too far" only time will tell.

The facts remains that the Club has been run incurring big losses in recent seasons and something has to give and outside the Premiership, ticket revenues remain the main source of income for Clubs. Some painful decisions will have to be made over the next few seasons in order to get the Club on a more sustainable footing.

[quote user="Tony from southrepps"][quote user="City penguin"]

Ticket prices will rise and so they should. The club needs all the money it can get. We are below average i would think in prices anyway so its not like they will end up paying 40quid a ticket like QPR fans do or somthing. The rises will only be a couple of quid a game whats that these days half a pint? The club should charge the maximum they can while maintaining sell out crowds. It is quite clear that we can charge more. I seem to remember the Harltepool home game being about £23 pounds. The attendance was 25400ish with 400 from ''pool. So thats 25k home fans willing to pay 20 odd quid against i piss poor team in leauge one. Im sure those casual fans wont be put off by a 2 or 3 pound rise for a game in the championship in the same category, most likely a scunthorpe or Doncaster. And tickets for Watford wich im sure due to being first game of the season is in the highest bracket at £31 pounds being a fair price.

As long as the club keep heavily discounted junior tickets it will ensure a large following for years to come, but now we have the support and means to maximise our reveune .

[/quote]

CP don''t be fooled into thinking every fan will fork out if prices rise. A couple of quid here and there soon adds up if you have a family of 5 like me, and if the club get to greedy and take advantage of loyal fans they will pay the price for it  in the long run. Why change what has been a winning formular for the last few years .I can''t help but think that Mc Nally is eyeing up our great attendances and is going to try it on with price hikes and hope us fans will continue to fork out . If fans are prepared to pay the extra good for them but i personally think it is a bad move if we go down the road of fleecing the loyal fan base we have at the moment.
[/quote]

But it wasn`t a "winning formula" in terms of providing us with a decent team was it?- at least since the Prem.  The club have turned that round by investing in the football team instead of flogging off our best players then whine how poor we are- would you rather we were still doing that and the friendly was a tenner instead of £15?

If a couple of quid here and there really is an issue, the answer is simple- go to fewer games.  The fact is we sell out pretty much every game anyway and the club are probably thinking that there is enough demand there to fill the seats even if casual supporters do that.

[quote user="Tony from southrepps"][quote user="City penguin"]

[/quote]CP don''t be fooled into thinking every fan will fork out if prices rise. A couple of quid here and there soon adds up if you have a family of 5 like me, and if the club get to greedy and take advantage of loyal fans they will pay the price for it  in the long run. Why change what has been a winning formular for the last few years .I can''t help but think that Mc Nally is eyeing up our great attendances and is going to try it on with price hikes and hope us fans will continue to fork out . If fans are prepared to pay the extra good for them but i personally think it is a bad move if we go down the road of fleecing the loyal fan base we have at the moment.[/quote]I agree, and the club should also remember that a lot of people work in the public servcies and will soon find themselves on the dole due to the govt cuts. Higher ticket prices and additional booking fees will become a step too far for many.£63.50 for a pair of tickets for 90mins of football is a lot to pay for a Championship game that is being shown on live on Sky - so I will watch the game on TV, have a bottle of champagne, lobster thermador, and still have about £30 left over.

To anyone who says "i will just watch the game in the comfort of my living room on sky" as someone did in the ticket office the other day.

How about you get rid of sky and buy a season ticket if your a half decent fan?

[quote user="ucl-canary"]

To anyone who says "i will just watch the game in the comfort of my living room on sky" as someone did in the ticket office the other day.

[/quote]I don''t have Sky, I will watch it at a neighbours house.

I just meant generally, a guy in fornt of me at the ticket office bought tickets for Everton and then said he had " the best seat for the Watford game, in his own armchair."

In general you can''t shove up ticket prices and still expect full houses.  There''s a few fans saying we should pay more.  IMO that''s a crock because fans will end up listening to the radio and watching SKY.  Agents and player wages are causing this imo.  And something will give before too long.  Because the penny will drop with some fans and realise that while this country is dishing out stupid money on ''superstar'' players the National team is slowly going down the bog, while the ordinary man can''t afford to go and support their own team.It seem odd to me that in Germany wages are around half it is here.  Tickets are about half the price.  And the national team 9/10 has a good tournament.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Tony from southrepps"][quote user="City penguin"]

[/quote]CP don''t be fooled into thinking every fan will fork out if prices rise. A couple of quid here and there soon adds up if you have a family of 5 like me, and if the club get to greedy and take advantage of loyal fans they will pay the price for it  in the long run. Why change what has been a winning formular for the last few years .I can''t help but think that Mc Nally is eyeing up our great attendances and is going to try it on with price hikes and hope us fans will continue to fork out . If fans are prepared to pay the extra good for them but i personally think it is a bad move if we go down the road of fleecing the loyal fan base we have at the moment.[/quote]

But it wasn`t a "winning formula" in terms of providing us with a decent team was it?- at least since the Prem.  The club have turned that round by investing in the football team instead of flogging off our best players then whine how poor we are- would you rather we were still doing that and the friendly was a tenner instead of £15?

If a couple of quid here and there really is an issue, the answer is simple- go to fewer games.  The fact is we sell out pretty much every game anyway and the club are probably thinking that there is enough demand there to fill the seats even if casual supporters do that.

[/quote]A couple of quid here and there is an issue when money is tight at the moment. and going to fewer games will be the answer i''m afraid ,sadly i am not awash with money in fact i have had to take a pay cut because of the recession. As for the pricing structure being a  winning formula it was regarding attendences with full houses backing that up it has sod all too do with the postion of the team that was down to the board picking crap managers.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Funny how none of those moaning about prices have mentioned that the Gillingham cup game is kids for a quid....[:|]

We have just had a year of buying players instead of selling our best ones then hearing the club whinging that it`s skint and can`t compete, and lo and behold the club is on the up again.  Are people really going to begrudge paying a few quid extra for that, after years of benefitting from cheap tickets??!

[/quote]ding ding ding ding (agreement)

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ucl-canary"]

[/quote]

I don''t have Sky, I will watch it at a neighbours house.
[/quote]

I shall watch the Watford game in a pub. No extortionate ticket to pay for, no crappy Sky subscription to pay for; just free admission and a few pints of beer with what I save. Sorted! If the game''s crap it doesn''t matter as I shall be nicely mellow wearing my beer goggles.

why should prices rise ? they are exceptionally high as it is compared to other entertainment events - for me , my 16 year old and 10 year old to go to both friendlies is £ 80 - ridiculous , I can take all four of my kids to the zoo for a FULL day for about £ 65 , prorities will come into play and football , whilst good is not a priority in teh larger scheme of things

[quote user="gary "]why should prices rise ? they are exceptionally high as it is compared to other entertainment events - for me , my 16 year old and 10 year old to go to both friendlies is £ 80 - ridiculous , I can take all four of my kids to the zoo for a FULL day for about £ 65 , prorities will come into play and football , whilst good is not a priority in teh larger scheme of things[/quote]I think they''re gambling on enough people thinking that''s not true, it harks back to the "Should I get my reimbursement back" season ticket arguments. Some people will just keep spending money on ncfc til they have nothing more to spend. And the club are banking on enough people havigng enough money for this hike, and then hoping that the increased league success brings more fans and commerical interest, supporting a further price rise once we''re established in the prem.

[quote user="gary "]I can take all four of my kids to the zoo for a FULL day[/quote]Ok kids, want to go to the game today or shall we have a day at the zoo?[:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="gary "]I can take all four of my kids to the zoo for a FULL day[/quote]Ok kids, want to go to the game today or shall we have a day at the zoo?[:S][/quote]That''s my point Lappo, there are enough people to whom it would have to be 5 times the cost of the zoo before they''d trade in watching norwich for seeing some monkeys (and maybe a lion, it really depends on the zoo). Penguins are quite fun, as long as they''re not just standing around.

[quote user="Seat0123"]Penguins are quite fun, as long as they''re not just standing around.[/quote]You already got to watch black and white figures standing still... they were the Newcastle defence!Ba dum tish!I''m here all week...

[quote user="gary "]why should prices rise ? they are exceptionally high as it is compared to other entertainment events - for me , my 16 year old and 10 year old to go to both friendlies is £ 80 - ridiculous , I can take all four of my kids to the zoo for a FULL day for about £ 65 , prorities will come into play and football , whilst good is not a priority in teh larger scheme of things[/quote]I don''t think they should.  But there was one or two members of the old SCG who said they should be increased.  I''m assuming they are of the same opinion.

[quote user="Daphne "]I am prepared to pay £15 for myself - and feel yesterday''s game was well worth the money, but £10 for kids is way too much.[/quote]

Agreed the club had the opportunity to encourage kids to come along and should have had lower prices for children.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="gary "]why should prices rise ? they are exceptionally high as it is compared to other entertainment events - for me , my 16 year old and 10 year old to go to both friendlies is £ 80 - ridiculous , I can take all four of my kids to the zoo for a FULL day for about £ 65 , prorities will come into play and football , whilst good is not a priority in teh larger scheme of things[/quote]

I don''t think they should.  But there was one or two members of the old SCG who said they should be increased.  I''m assuming they are of the same opinion.
[/quote]

As a former member of the SCG i have not expressed an opinion on here about increasing the prices other than to say in comparison to what was charged by Stevenage and D & R for friendlies our pricing structure needs to be put in perspective.That was not saying that "they should be increased".Out of interest who were the members of the SCG you were making reference to?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Seat0123"]Penguins are quite fun, as long as they''re not just standing around.[/quote]You already got to watch black and white figures standing still... they were the Newcastle defence!Ba dum tish!I''m here all week...[/quote]Oh Monkey, they were in their blue strip on Saturday. Good effort, but must try harder [:)]

they wouldn;t get the choice , the two who go to football have season tickets , so they are sorted , I would say we are going to the Zoo end of story

the SCG seemed to me to very much agree with the club in every way - was there ever any dissent at all in those meetings , most were people who travel away to friendlies and reserve matches , so all they have is football and as such are out of touch with the less " anoraky " type fan - to them they pay whatever it takes and that is their life , if teh clubs want to increase orices then they would still turn up to EVERY match and the club are wonderful , for the majority of people this is not the case

[quote user="gary "]the SCG seemed to me to very much agree with the club in every way - was there ever any dissent at all in those meetings , most were people who travel away to friendlies and reserve matches , so all they have is football and as such are out of touch with the less " anoraky " type fan - to them they pay whatever it takes and that is their life , if teh clubs want to increase orices then they would still turn up to EVERY match and the club are wonderful , for the majority of people this is not the case[/quote]

"Most were people who travel away to friendlies and reserve matches".......you are talking about 3 inviduals amongst an SCG that had i think 15 supporters on board.I will not name them but your little dig will be with regard to JT,RB and JW and by the way JT is not me.I am sure you know who i mean gary.

"Was there ever any dissent at all in those meetings".....If only Neil Doncaster and Roger Munby read this messageboard.Blimey even Lisa Q might make a return after  reading such an ill informed comment.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="gary "]the SCG seemed to me to very much agree with the club in every way - was there ever any dissent at all in those meetings , most were people who travel away to friendlies and reserve matches , so all they have is football and as such are out of touch with the less " anoraky " type fan - to them they pay whatever it takes and that is their life , if teh clubs want to increase orices then they would still turn up to EVERY match and the club are wonderful , for the majority of people this is not the case[/quote]

"Most were people who travel away to friendlies and reserve matches".......you are talking about 3 inviduals amongst an SCG that had i think 15 supporters on board.I will not name them but your little dig will be with regard to JT,RB and JW and by the way JT is not me.I am sure you know who i mean gary.

"Was there ever any dissent at all in those meetings".....If only Neil Doncaster and Roger Munby read this messageboard.Blimey even Lisa Q might make a return after  reading such an ill informed comment.

[/quote]

Just done some research amongst some old SCG minutes and there were 17 supporters not including club staff.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]With respect to the pricing of friendly matches, what has working party (re tickets) member, Lisa Q got to say on the matter?[/quote]Was she the only member of the working party Tangy?