Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Vintage Norwich Titbits

The retro photo thread got me thinking, dangerous I know, about the possibility of perhaps a subforum (yes another) or something similar, for vintage, unusual obscure facts or titbits.

Things that may not be widely known, they may not even have been published before, they may have just been published in a magazine or you may just know it from your own history and memories of supporting the Canaries.

Things like this interest me, some of you make find it boring or sad or whatever, I think some interesting and humorous things could come out of it.

Preparing to be shotdown or told that this has been done many times before, bracing myself.

Here''s a couple -

In 1992/1993 an unreserved season ticket in the Barclay End Lower Tier was £140 (a super season ticket was £175).  A reserved seat in the River End Upper Tier, South Stand, Family Area was £180 (£225 for a super season ticket).  City Stand Lounges £285 or £355 for a super and a Super Season Ticket for the Executive Viewing Lounge was £735. The family area adult price included one free seat for a child.

Gary Megson decided to have a bonfire in his garden one day and managed to set fire to all of the conifers in his garden and had to call out the fire brigade.

Does anyone remember when the Americans came to town?  We drew 2-2 with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in September 1981.

Colin Woodthorpe used to drive a Peugeot 205 (how times change), he always wore 2 pairs of socks and his ambition was to own a jet ski!

And if memory serves me right, I am sure Ian Crook suffered the taunts and jibes of the dressing room after he splashed the cash on a new Chrysler Neon!

Is anyone still awake?[:)]

I think the Chrysler Neon was Neil Adams, and the players came out to warm up wearing t-shirts with Neil posing in front of his/one.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Nice idea.  Some of it is quite interesting, amusing and/or quirky.

Wonder what a Super Season Ticket was...?
[/quote]

I stand to be corrected Graham but you paid an addtional amount which gave you entry to FA and League Cup games.It was a lottery because if we did not draw anyone at home you lost out but if he had several home draws you would be quids in.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Nice idea.  Some of it is quite interesting, amusing and/or quirky.

Wonder what a Super Season Ticket was...?
[/quote]

I stand to be corrected Graham but you paid an addtional amount which gave you entry to FA and League Cup games.It was a lottery because if we did not draw anyone at home you lost out but if he had several home draws you would be quids in.

[/quote]

*He should be we.

I was in the same swimming class at Hellesdon High School as Duncan Forbes.  I was 28 at the time and I thought...blimey if Dunc can do it so can I!

[quote user="Barbie"]I think the Chrysler Neon was Neil Adams, and the players came out to warm up wearing t-shirts with Neil posing in front of his/one.[/quote]

I remember the large advertising hoardings outside the stadium that were facing the rear of the City Stand that once lined the opposite side of Carrow Road (before the development of Koblenz Avenue and the surrounding area).....

Anyway, there was a large poster on one of these display hoardings advertising the ''new'' Chrysler Neon.....It was a side shot of the new Chrysler showing its modern distinctive curves and shape.....Some wags, (I''d assume members of the then squad) had superimposed a picture of Neil''s beaming and rather proud face to the drivers window on the poster of the Chrysler....I found it very funny, and it actually remained there for a considerable time.

In the good old days your GW/City/Main Stand season ticket included a free programme for each game, presented to you as you walked through the revolutionary turnstileless gates by a club toadie.

[quote user="Montgomery Bumpkin"]In the good old days your GW/City/Main Stand season ticket included a free programme for each game, presented to you as you walked through the revolutionary turnstileless gates by a club toadie.[/quote]

Yup, that is indeed correct.....and one was also entitled to free biccies and hot beverage at half-time.

Now? I just flash my season-ticket to the ''toadie,'' and go straight to my pew.....No free programme, no biccies, no brew.

That''s prudent progress.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Barbie"]I think the Chrysler Neon was Neil Adams, and the players came out to warm up wearing t-shirts with Neil posing in front of his/one.[/quote]

I remember the large advertising hoardings outside the stadium that were facing the rear of the City Stand that once lined the opposite side of Carrow Road (before the development of Koblenz Avenue and the surrounding area).....

Anyway, there was a large poster on one of these display hoardings advertising the ''new'' Chrysler Neon.....It was a side shot of the new Chrysler showing its modern distinctive curves and shape.....Some wags, (I''d assume members of the then squad) had superimposed a picture of Neil''s beaming and rather proud face to the drivers window on the poster of the Chrysler....I found it very funny, and it actually remained there for a considerable time.

[/quote]That would be it then, this advert was then printed onto T-Shirts and they were worn when they appeared for warm up. After a photo or 7 they were then thrown into the crowd.

The very first season ticket that I ever had was brought for me by my grandmother in the 60''s. This was for the old main stand and came in the form of a book with detatchable tickets for all first team and reserve team games. I can''t remember if it included cup tickets or whether the cup pages were "priority slips" that you sent away to buy the ticket.

In those days you could also hire cushions for a few pennies. These were plastic and had sharp corners which could be dangerous when the old boys showed their disgust by hurling them on the pitch. In fact this behaviour brought the club a warning from the FA and threats of ground closure.

My other main stand memory of those days was the enticing aroma of "hot toddyhs" all lined up on the bar below ready for the old boys at halftime. I reckon many a cushion was fuelled in this way.

The money was wasted by my grandmother because after the first season I used to go through the gate and watch the matches from the Barclay Stand. Someone must have told her because the season tickets stopped after I did that.

As a lad, used to get a return fare from Hellesdon to Thorpe Station, entry to the ground and a programme for 5/11d (less than 30p in new money).  Also no one blinked a eyelid at me going to footie on my own or with my mates at 9 years of age.  Used to go to Norwich Speedway even younger just with mates!

I don''t suppose anyone remembers a friendly against either the Iranian or Iraqi national team - maybe early 1990s? We basically played our reserve team and beat them. The best bit was seeing 50 or so extremely enthusiastic Iranians/Iraqis in the city stand jumping around and singing for the whole game. Never did find out what they were singing about....

Talking about cars, in 1981, either Keith Bertschin or Mick McGuire had a battered old Mk.III Ford Cortina, they used to come to games together in it...

Also, we were the last club in the old Division 1 to finish 20th and avoid relegation (only two clubs went down) in the 1972/73 season....

Way back when didn''t car dealers bring along the 4 latest models to parade them round the outside of the pitch?

"old boys showed their disgust by hurling them on the pitch"many a chant of "bring on the cushions" from the Barclay

Remember climbing into the River End after the game had started, then paying the 6d to be transferred to the South Stand , then walking along the back aisle to get to the BarclayI have since written to Delia offering to re-imburse the club ............... with an old ten bob note I found a few years ago, which I think roughly equated to what was owed

Being shocked to hear Kevin Keelan call Alan Black a c... after a bad clearance that gave away a corner

Buying an away programme every home game from the little hut in the corner behind the Barclay/South stand

[quote user="City1st"]

the little hut in the corner behind the Barclay/South stand

[/quote]

When I was a kid the little hut at the back of the Barclay was like an Aladdin''s cave as there was little place anywhere else to buy away progs, scarves or any other sort of City memorabilia or merchandise.

It was staffed by a tall ''specky'' lad if I remember, who always arrived late.I also remember taking my milk crate to the game to stand on

............................not at the front but to get served at the bar at the back of the Barclay, they weren''t so strict in those days