Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Chris Martin

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Yes he scores crutial goals but hes is without a doubt the laziest player we''ve had for years.

His off the ball movement compared to Holts its not good enough for next season IMO

Dont get me wrong, im sure he has a big future...... but there are a few things that he needs to work at, although finishing isnt one of them !!
[/quote]

This post would be hilarious if it wasn''t so sad and ill informed.

If you actually bothered to look at Martin other than when he is scoring you would see that he opens up defences with his runs.   Time after time he takes off and takes his defender creating space for others.   Most of Holt''s running goals have been assisted by Martin taking defenders out of the way.  He is very clever but the eye follows the player with the ball not the off the ball movements.

His off the ball movement is in many respects as impressive as his goalscoring.   And I am talking about his play in attack.  Tracking back is something else but sitting opposite the bench I see lambert and Culverhouse constantly directing players but rarely yelling at Chris to get back so we have to asume that he is doing what they want.

As for the laziest player in years?  Lazy than Otsembor, Killen, Fotheringham, Robinson and Etuhu?  To name a few without trying.

As I said, funny if not so sad

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Yes he scores crutial goals but hes is without a doubt the laziest player we''ve had for years.

His off the ball movement compared to Holts its not good enough for next season IMO

Dont get me wrong, im sure he has a big future...... but there are a few things that he needs to work at, although finishing isnt one of them !!
[/quote]

If you actually bothered to look at Martin other than when he is scoring you would see that he opens up defences with his runs.   Time after time he takes off and takes his defender creating space for others.   Most of Holt''s running goals have been assisted by Martin taking defenders out of the way.  He is very clever but the eye follows the player with the ball not the off the ball movements.

His off the ball movement is in many respects as impressive as his goalscoring.   And I am talking about his play in attack.  Tracking back is something else but sitting opposite the bench I see lambert and Culverhouse constantly directing players but rarely yelling at Chris to get back so we have to asume that he is doing what they want.

As for the laziest player in years?  Lazy than Otsembor, Killen, Fotheringham, Robinson and Etuhu?  To name a few without trying.

[/quote]

Hmmm, anyone would think that the manager wants a player who he has described as one of the best finishers he has seen, to spend most of his time in the oppo`s third of the pitch where he can, y`know, finish.....[;)]

Martin being lazy is an absolute myth, if you watched his movement every second of the game, you will see that he creates space for other players. A lot of the time he will chase the keeper down when they are taking a goal kick. Do people want him too run around like a headless chicken?Anyway, there are many world class strikers that put it half the effort Chrissy does, so lay off it.

[quote user="Larry David"]True enough I think it was fairly well documented that he and his brother were a bit naughty but he was very young.

IMO his attitude has improved a lot, he has seriously bulked up in the gym which is paying off on the pitch. I''m sure someone said he''s been working with a sprint trainer to try and improve that side of his game so what else can we do but get behind him, and be thankful we have such a talent.
[/quote]IF YOU KNEW THE INS AND OUTS YOU WOULD SAY MORE THAN "A BIT NAUGHY"

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cambridge, I totally agree with your assessment of Chris Martin and would just like to add that a second striker getting over 20 goals beside a striker who gets 30 is a huge achievement especially as he makes so many unselfish runs to let Holty in. Shame these runs aren''t officially regarded as assists, which is what they undoubtedly are.

But I can''t agree with your lazy assessment of the other players. Otsemebor certainly had a concentration problem  and some of the others could have had "lazy styles". But lazy players would not get international caps or play games in todays Premier League.

Personally I think all this stuff about Chris Martin being lazy is rubbish, unfortunately some Norwich fans will have their hate figures and no matter what that player does they will not change their position. Of course Chris has been a naughty boy, but he has served his "time" for these deeds. The boy is a great talent, excellent control, strong, good finisher and rarely gives the ball away. For the numpty going on about his lack of movement, have a look at his goal against Leeds again, got across two/three defenders and tucked the ball away in the only part of the goal available to him. A lot of his goals have been crucial to us (the winner against Leeds and the equaliser against MK Franchise), we need to hold on to him and develop him for as long as we can.... 

Hes no way a hate figure.... In my eyes (and many others) he doesnt do enough, hence why he was dropped recently. So is Paul Lambert an idiot too is he ?

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Hes no way a hate figure....

In my eyes (and many others) he doesnt do enough, hence why he was dropped recently.
So is Paul Lambert an idiot too is he ?

[/quote]

He was "dropped" to the bench to give the lad (21) a rest.

Look how we needed him though!

Football is a game of opinions unfortunately yours is wrong.[;)]

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Hes no way a hate figure....

In my eyes (and many others) he doesnt do enough, hence why he was dropped recently.
So is Paul Lambert an idiot too is he ?

[/quote]

Agreed. It was obvious to many of us since about 10 games ago that his level of performance had dropped. Lambert saw this also and brought in Elliot as competition to gee him up, and it worked. Without this ''kick up the backside'' I don''t think he would have scored his last two goals. So, well done Lambert !!

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Chris Waddle, GlennHoddle and David Ginola were all labelled as lazy, they seem to have done ok.[/quote]

I never considered any of those ''lazy'', but I have to admit to warning a Manure friend that Berbatov was, and that was before they signed him. [:D]

The assumption being made is that Paul Lambert "dropped" Chris Martin because "h does not do enough", rather than to save the young man from burning out and the signing of Eliott was to "gee him up" rather than to give us a different option and or more bodies in the squad to cover us in the event of injuries and suspensions. As I have said some posters will fit the "facts" to suit their arguement.

It would seem that quite a few think Martin could do more, whether you agree with that or not is a matter of opinion, but it is a reasonable opinion, doesn''t mean that people don''t rate him or appreciate what he does or that he is a hate figure.

Those defending him seem to be ridiculing posters knowledge of football, but I would suggest it is more likely that those with knowledge of the game can see how he could improve. Those that don''t think he can improve must either think he is as good as he''ll get or is already perfect, that does seem to be a little unlikely and unrealistic. Worshipping players too early can be dangerous. He has had a great season, but he has long way to go before he is the finished artical, but it is promising.

And why does working harder equate to "running around like a headless chicken", this response comes up several times in his defence, but is ridiculous. No one wants him to do that I''m quite sure, and it doesn''t mean that players who do run more are headless chickens (ie Holt), does it? 

[quote user="The gut"]

It would seem that quite a few think Martin could do more, whether you agree with that or not is a matter of opinion, but it is a reasonable opinion, doesn''t mean that people don''t rate him or appreciate what he does or that he is a hate figure.

Those defending him seem to be ridiculing posters knowledge of football, but I would suggest it is more likely that those with knowledge of the game can see how he could improve. Those that don''t think he can improve must either think he is as good as he''ll get or is already perfect, that does seem to be a little unlikely and unrealistic. Worshipping players too early can be dangerous. He has had a great season, but he has long way to go before he is the finished artical, but it is promising.

And why does working harder equate to "running around like a headless chicken", this response comes up several times in his defence, but is ridiculous. No one wants him to do that I''m quite sure, and it doesn''t mean that players who do run more are headless chickens (ie Holt), does it? 

[/quote]I don''t think anyone worships Martin. No where near it. His image (rightly or wrongly) makes him very open to critsism which is why he gets this ridiculous ''lazy tag''. People can''t knock him for being selfish, a poor finisher, having a bad touch or anything else so they pick out the fact that because he''s a striker that he is lazy. When in fact he only looks lazy because Grant Holt moves all over the place, and not always in a good way.

Never has so much been said about so little.

Tomorrow is just another day and today was yesterday''s tomorrow.

Chrissy boy came, went, came back and will probably go again....but when and why. Ours not to reason til the end of the season.

[quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

Well said, especially the point about worshipping players too early. If he starts believing the hype, then he could stop developing into the player that we would all like him to be. This is only Div 1 and he has a long long way to go. 

[quote user="paul moy"]Well said, especially the point about worshipping players too early. If he starts believing the hype, then he could stop developing into the player that we would all like him to be. This is only Div 1 and he has a long long way to go. [/quote]I think that''s a valid point. Whilst I stand by what I said about people being less likely to worship Chrissy than other players like Hools, Holt, Doc etc Chris if anyone is the person I think has the characteristics most likely to believe in his own hype.. He reminds me of Craig Bellamy.

TBH i don''t care if anyone agress or disagrees with what I have to say but the OP is right Chris Martin is a lazy fucker - fact.

I like the kid and he has scored a lot of crucial goals  this season, but his work rate is abysml.  You look at the top teams, take Barcelona (now before anyone starts shouting that we are not Barcelona the principals are the same)  Messi gets tackled on the edge of the opposition box then chases the bloke all the way back to close down and try and win  the ball back.

As a football coach I tell all my kids to chase back and close down.  He simply does not do that.  On saturday for example their goalkeeper is dicking about and not picking it up, Martin was 10-15 yards away scratching his arse, Holt ran 45 yards to close the keeper and make him pick it up.

As I said i''m not knocking him but if he put himself about as much as holt does he would make more chances for himself and score more goals.

Yes, but Martin is not a Holt type of player. Martin feeds off the play and doesn''t work on supplying it, he is a fantastic goalscorer and a truly valuable assett. To compare him to Messi is simply unfair, MESSI IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. If you are the best player in the world you would be expected to do a lot of work, and not laze around. I am sure Lambert tells him to stay at the right end of the pitch, for if he was too drop to deep, we would be isolated up front. I am not saying he is the hardest working player ever, but then again that isn''t his job. His job is to score goals, and quite frankly he does that. If you read my post earlier, I reckon all this Martin being lazy is a myth, he does actully chase down the keeper quite a lot, and if it is in normal circumstances what is the point anyway, its not like he is going to block it and it go in, is it?

[quote user="paulo79"]

TBH i don''t care if anyone agress or disagrees with what I have to say but the OP is right Chris Martin is a lazy fucker - fact.

[/quote]Perhaps your observational skills at matches are as bad as your observational skills at reading peoples posts. As in fact the ''op'' says nothing of the sort about Martin being lazy and only sings his praises.I eagerly await your reply where you''ll no doubt point out that Chris Martin plays in goal or something similar.

oh well done whos the big man so i put one thing wrong, aren''t you fucking wonderful.

I bet your in the same group of inbred cunts that boo and get on the teams back when we don''t push forward in the last ten minutes of games when we are winning and expect us to hoof long balls upfront to try and score again.

And I did not compare him to messi and I knew there would be at least one person to say that, so you are ok with another player having to do the work of another, I am not knocking his goal contribution as I stated in my earlier post, he is lazy and if he worked a bit harder he could score more goals.

And i don''e expect him to go and charge down everytime on the hope of blocking it, but on saturday their goalkeeper was wastign time coz he was not under pressure and other players further away had to go and do what martin should have.

Some people will never get over his indiscretions in various pubs, unfortunately.  For them the lad they see on the pitch may as well have a pint in one hand and a snooker cue in the other.For the rest of us, who choose to watch football with our eyes open, he''s a classy mover, a great thinker and an excellent finisher.  You can almost guarantee that if he were charging around the pitch chasing every ball, whilst Holty did the same, the same people would be complaining that there''s no one in the box to put them away.

[quote user="paulo79"]I bet your in the same group of inbred cunts that boo and get on the teams back when we don''t push forward in the last ten minutes of games when we are winning and expect us to hoof long balls upfront to try and score again.[/quote]HAHAHAHAHAHA! I didn''t know that ''group of inbred cnuts'' existed... but kudos for you for managing to cross examine my entire footballing ethos and personality approach by reading my post. I mean it''s not like you''re going to completely misread some ones post and get their entire point completely wrong is it?.....urrrrr.....hmppph..

[quote user="paulo79"]

oh well done whos the big man so i put one thing wrong, aren''t you fucking wonderful.

I bet your in the same group of inbred cunts that boo and get on the teams back when we don''t push forward in the last ten minutes of games when we are winning and expect us to hoof long balls upfront to try and score again.

And I did not compare him to messi and I knew there would be at least one person to say that, so you are ok with another player having to do the work of another, I am not knocking his goal contribution as I stated in my earlier post, he is lazy and if he worked a bit harder he could score more goals.

And i don''e expect him to go and charge down everytime on the hope of blocking it, but on saturday their goalkeeper was wastign time coz he was not under pressure and other players further away had to go and do what martin should have.

[/quote]Your only good at one thing. Swearing [:|] Jog on...

for what it`s worth here is my two bobs worth.

The majority who posted on this thread are of the opinion that he is a quality player. I totally agree, after spending a couple of games mostly watching just what he actualy does and to be far it`s alot more than some people think.

I like his bad attitude on the pitch, the way he was waving to the Leeds player and telling him to fuck off was funny.

You don`t score 20 goals in any league if your crap, and I think he`ll do well in the Championship

I`m a fan of his and even if I didn`t like him I wouldn`t slag him off because he`s one of ours.

Someone said he reminded him of Craig Bellamy. Attitude wise that`s a good call hope he doesn`t play golf though