Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Chris Martin

The lad has had a fantastic season so far. 21 goals is impressive in anyone''s book. Anyway my point is that if you include the 5 goals Martin got for before he went to Luton he has now scored 26 goals in Canary colours and is still only 21. Johnny Gavin record currently stands at 132 goals. I know its a massive ask but do we think Chrissy if he stayed could get anywhere near it? Obviously its extremely unlikely and its a record which could stand forever. But I am just interested to see how good people think the lad can be. I personally think he will be a very good championship striker, not sure if he has got the speed to make it in the top flight.

He has a lot of talent in there, it''s a shame he lost is way before the Luton era. He''s proved he can do it in the championship, but this was when he was a kid nobody knew much about, so I''m interested to see how he gets on with us next year really. Him and Holt have formed a fantastic partnership, and I think Holt in many ways has brought out the best of Martin at times. Championship striker and no more for me, but if he''s wearing our colours and sticking it in the back of the net, I''m happy.

If he stays at the club long enough which is very rare these days then he has a chance of beating the record although I like you am unsure if he would be good enough in the Premiership, Championship I think he will be fine.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

The lad has had a fantastic season so far. 21 goals is impressive in anyone''s book. Anyway my point is that if you include the 5 goals Martin got for before he went to Luton he has now scored 26 goals in Canary colours and is still only 21. Johnny Gavin record currently stands at 132 goals. I know its a massive ask but do we think Chrissy if he stayed could get anywhere near it? Obviously its extremely unlikely and its a record which could stand forever. But I am just interested to see how good people think the lad can be. I personally think he will be a very good championship striker, not sure if he has got the speed to make it in the top flight.

[/quote]

I think Chrissy can be as good as he wants to be. He has strength, two good feet and is a natural finisher (the best in the club, as Lambert regularly points out. Whether he has got over his love affair with lager will be one factor, but my biggest concern is  the fact that he continues to be villified by certain fans (for example a guy near me on Saturday moaned  literally every time Chris had the ball, although he was strangely quiet after the goal!) for whom he will forever be the heavy drinking, lazy, arrogant Chris Martin of his late teens. He must be well aware of this, and that may well be a factor when bigger clubs come calling, as they inevitably will.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

I think Chrissy can be as good as he wants to be. He has strength, two good feet and is a natural finisher (the best in the club, as Lambert regularly points out. Whether he has got over his love affair with lager will be one factor, but my biggest concern is  the fact that he continues to be villified by certain fans (for example a guy near me on Saturday moaned  literally every time Chris had the ball, although he was strangely quiet after the goal!) for whom he will forever be the heavy drinking, lazy, arrogant Chris Martin of his late teens. He must be well aware of this, and that may well be a factor when bigger clubs come calling, as they inevitably will.

[/quote]Ive had that pretty much all season, well since Otsemobor left anyway...

Agreed his finishing is already top class and I like his all round game. He holds the ball up and links the play intelligently. However because he doesnt tear around like Holt putting in big challenges some people think he is lazy. I thought his second goal against Colchester was sensational. On a terrible pitch to carry the ball about 15/20 yards and then beat the keeper with a defender putting pressure on.

He seemed to lose his way for a few games but on Saturday he was back to his best and it was noticeable as soon as he came on.

He is remarkably strong, has a fierce competitive attitude which I love and deceptively quick when he wants to be.

It looks as if he needs a good man-manager and he''s found one in Lambo.

As Beau says the future is in his hands. He has a great talent for scoring goals and he would be stupid to waste it.

He is still young and will get better. He is a very good finisher. I am confident that he will blossom in the championship. He does have a lack of pace and that may hold him back from being a top player although i think he can aspire to play for a premiership club although probably not a top one

There is no limit to the kids potential, and I hope he is on course to become a decent Premiership player, one day.

Look at Bobby Zamora - took his time, learnt his trade, finally settled and is showing all the potential that many had written off - there is a long time to go in Martin''s career and he hasn''t started badly at all. I could see him becoming a decent mid-level Premiership player, sort of like Zamora. Love to see him in an England shirt one day!

Next couple of years will be big ones for him. I hope we can hang on to him, and that he remains worth hanging on to.

IMHO his loan spell at Luton came at a fantastic time for us. He was getting a bit "billy big ballcocks" after the premiership season, and a spell at Luton was just what he needed - ie "if you carry on as you are son, this is where you''ll end up". Good bit of man management at the time. And its paid off handsomely for us this season.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

26 goals in 3 seasons!

this means he need 15ish seasons with us - just cant see this happening.

[/quote]

Chris was with Luton for virtually the whole of last season, and played very few games in his first season due to being a ''last resort'' played by Roeder which brought about a flurry of goals, five I believe in ten or so games. All in all, Chris has 26 goals from 70 games, and so would need nearly eight seasons if ignoring Cup games and wokrking on a 46-game long season easch season. I''d love to see it happen, and with Chris being a Norwich fan, maybe he see''s it to...

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He is still young and will get better. He is a very good finisher. I am confident that he will blossom in the championship. He does have a lack of pace and that may hold him back from being a top player although i think he can aspire to play for a premiership club although probably not a top one[/quote]

But he''s been to a sprint trainer recently...

a lot of the negatives about chris martin are based on the remnants of the Roeder propaganda machine

its sad that people can''t make up their own minds without being swayed by other opinions

26 goals in 3 seasons!

[/quote]Wasn''t there about 1 goal in 20+ appearances in one of those, where his form really tailed off? And didn''t he spend much of his time at Luton as a right winger? And isn''t it possible that he may just improve in the future, seeing as he is at the age of ''21''? Isn''t this all just a little narrow minded of you Banana? Are those stats from wikipedia?

http://www.pilotlumber.com/sites/1193/library/twinfinish_plank.jpg

[quote user="leedscanary"]

IMHO his loan spell at Luton came at a fantastic time for us. He was getting a bit "billy big ballcocks" after the premiership season, and a spell at Luton was just what he needed - ie "if you carry on as you are son, this is where you''ll end up". Good bit of man management at the time. And its paid off handsomely for us this season.

[/quote]So maybe we have Roeder to thank for something! ; )I think he could make it in the prem as long as he has the psychological toughness to be able to harness his ability and play at the top of his game week in week out, at the moment (and please don''t label me as a moaner i''m just being realistic, not trying to denegrate his contribution this season in any way) he can go missing for periods during a game and doesn''t always appear to be putting in one hundred per cent, this is fine for League one and possibly the championship but if he aspires to play at the top level of the game (and what player doesn''t?) then he will need to develop a more commited or should i say focussed mentality then he has now. I''m not suggesting he''s lazy or doesn''t care, just that he needs to find the drive not only to give 100% almost 100% of the time but also to be able to focus that ability into getting into the right areas playing the right passes etc. He''s a natural finisher this is without doubt, but what seperates those with talent from those who make it at the top level is the ability to use that talent efficiently, if he can find the right manager to help him do that (and Lambert seems like he could well be the guy), then I truly believe he can make it in the prem. Could forsee a situation where Martin becomes one of those players that Lambert takes with him from club to club ala Stilian Petrov and Martin O''Neill. Personally i think he will become a more potent force than Grant Holt next season as he gains experience and learns how best to harness his talent''s. He is undoubtedly a more talented player then Holt (i still f*cking love him though!!) and as he grows older I think he will become a far better player. I believe the lessons Chrissy has learnt this season will enable him to surpass Holt next season in the Championship as his greater skill and better finishing become more valuable, when the number of chances available decreases as we come up against better defences.

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"][quote user="leedscanary"]

[/quote]

So maybe we have Roeder to thank for something! ; )

I think he could make it in the prem as long as he has the psychological toughness to be able to harness his ability and play at the top of his game week in week out, at the moment (and please don''t label me as a moaner i''m just being realistic, not trying to denegrate his contribution this season in any way) he can go missing for periods during a game and doesn''t always appear to be putting in one hundred per cent, this is fine for League one and possibly the championship but if he aspires to play at the top level of the game (and what player doesn''t?) then he will need to develop a more commited or should i say focussed mentality then he has now. I''m not suggesting he''s lazy or doesn''t care, just that he needs to find the drive not only to give 100% almost 100% of the time but also to be able to focus that ability into getting into the right areas playing the right passes etc. He''s a natural finisher this is without doubt, but what seperates those with talent from those who make it at the top level is the ability to use that talent efficiently, if he can find the right manager to help him do that (and Lambert seems like he could well be the guy), then I truly believe he can make it in the prem. Could forsee a situation where Martin becomes one of those players that Lambert takes with him from club to club ala Stilian Petrov and Martin O''Neill.

Personally i think he will become a more potent force than Grant Holt next season as he gains experience and learns how best to harness his talent''s. He is undoubtedly a more talented player then Holt (i still f*cking love him though!!) and as he grows older I think he will become a far better player. I believe the lessons Chrissy has learnt this season will enable him to surpass Holt next season in the Championship as his greater skill and better finishing become more valuable, when the number of chances available decreases as we come up against better defences.
[/quote]

While I agree with most of what you say, could I point you in the direction of a certain Dimitar Berbetov in relation to the highlighted sentence?

Even in the Prem flair and skill can still be as valuable (if not more so) than workrate.

We have a great trait in this country of focussing on peoples weaknesses rather than strengths.

Take for example, a young lad, who has a blinding right foot but average left. We drill it in to them that they need to improve the weakness, focussing on the negative rather than the strength.

Super Chrissy Martin is a great finisher, skillfull and links up play superbly. Lets focus on them rather than the lazy comments shall we?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"][quote user="leedscanary"]

[/quote]So maybe we have Roeder to thank for something! ; )I think he could make it in the prem as long as he has the psychological toughness to be able to harness his ability and play at the top of his game week in week out, at the moment (and please don''t label me as a moaner i''m just being realistic, not trying to denegrate his contribution this season in any way) he can go missing for periods during a game and doesn''t always appear to be putting in one hundred per cent, this is fine for League one and possibly the championship but if he aspires to play at the top level of the game (and what player doesn''t?) then he will need to develop a more commited or should i say focussed mentality then he has now. I''m not suggesting he''s lazy or doesn''t care, just that he needs to find the drive not only to give 100% almost 100% of the time but also to be able to focus that ability into getting into the right areas playing the right passes etc. He''s a natural finisher this is without doubt, but what seperates those with talent from those who make it at the top level is the ability to use that talent efficiently, if he can find the right manager to help him do that (and Lambert seems like he could well be the guy), then I truly believe he can make it in the prem. Could forsee a situation where Martin becomes one of those players that Lambert takes with him from club to club ala Stilian Petrov and Martin O''Neill. Personally i think he will become a more potent force than Grant Holt next season as he gains experience and learns how best to harness his talent''s. He is undoubtedly a more talented player then Holt (i still f*cking love him though!!) and as he grows older I think he will become a far better player. I believe the lessons Chrissy has learnt this season will enable him to surpass Holt next season in the Championship as his greater skill and better finishing become more valuable, when the number of chances available decreases as we come up against better defences.[/quote]

While I agree with most of what you say, could I point you in the direction of a certain Dimitar Berbetov in relation to the highlighted sentence?

Even in the Prem flair and skill can still be as valuable (if not more so) than workrate.

[/quote]Agreed but a certain Dimitar Berbatov who has hardly been setting the world alight at Manchester United. My perception, although this may well not be backed up by the stats is that he performed much better at Spurs than he has at Manure. Also I wouldn''t say that Chris Martin is a player of Berbatov''s ilk anyway, he''s much more compact and physical than that. If I were to compare him with anyone I''d say he''s more a Robbie Keane or Wayne Rooney type player, maybe mixture of the two, that would be an interesting hybrid!!! My main point wasn''t about workrate per se, rather that Chris Martin needs to be able to focus his talent and his workrate better than he does at the moment, if he wants to make it in the premiership. I am however still a huge fan of his, his contribution this season has been immense and i can only see him growing in stature under Lambert''s direction.

Big Bad John. I salute you. Excellent points well made. Saying he has 26 goals in 3 seasons is really misleading. Even if Banana wants to do that he must factor in the 11 goals Martin scored whilst playing as a striker/winger for Luton. So were up to 37 goals in 3 and half seasons already. Plus in 07/08 he barely got a kick under either Roeder or Grant.

Listen all i have to say about Chris Matin is i think he is pure class..... Out of the players that have come through our school he for me is the one that shines the most!!!

What more can you ask for him this season not only has he scored 21 goals, many have been extremly important, Orient at home, Leeds home to name two there are more, for me yes his form has been lagging over the past 4-5 games, but come on the lad is only 21 its been a long season which he has played the majority of, every player has a blimp in form throughout a season..... 

He answered his critics and manager alike last Saturday against Leeds, first time Lambert has dropped him this season and what a game to do it Leeds at home, i said to my friend i bet Martin is gutted not to start that.... But he came on played extremly well and got his goal for me that shows how much he has matured not only as a player but as a person. He could of easily sulked and played average instead he came on and sent the home fans away happy!!!! CLASS......

I strongly believe as mentioned in prior posts that this kid could literally go to the top, and dont be surprised if Lambert leaves us for a bigger club in the future and takes Chris Martin with him.....

Great season Chris well played and good luck in the Champ next season......

OTBC

Also bringing it on topic again do people think he could get near the record? For a local lad to get a 100 goals for the club would awesome in my book. I really think the guy has the potential to do it.

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]

Agreed but a certain Dimitar Berbatov who has hardly been setting the world alight at Manchester United. My perception, although this may well not be backed up by the stats is that he performed much better at Spurs than he has at Manure. Also I wouldn''t say that Chris Martin is a player of Berbatov''s ilk anyway, he''s much more compact and physical than that. If I were to compare him with anyone I''d say he''s more a Robbie Keane or Wayne Rooney type player, maybe mixture of the two, that would be an interesting hybrid!!!

My main point wasn''t about workrate per se, rather that Chris Martin needs to be able to focus his talent and his workrate better than he does at the moment, if he wants to make it in the premiership. I am however still a huge fan of his, his contribution this season has been immense and i can only see him growing in stature under Lambert''s direction.
[/quote]

The Berbatov comment was slightly tongue in cheek, and, as I said, I pretty much agree with all you''ve said. He''s not the finished product yet but he could be a City great if he continues to develop, but I just wish people would keep off his back.

26 goals in 3 seasons!

[/quote]

But 21 in 1 season means it would only take 6/7 seasons with us.

As long as he has the service ... Martin will continue to score goals, whatever Division he finds himself in.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Agreed but a certain Dimitar Berbatov who has hardly been setting the world alight at Manchester United. My perception, although this may well not be backed up by the stats is that he performed much better at Spurs than he has at Manure. Also I wouldn''t say that Chris Martin is a player of Berbatov''s ilk anyway, he''s much more compact and physical than that. If I were to compare him with anyone I''d say he''s more a Robbie Keane or Wayne Rooney type player, maybe mixture of the two, that would be an interesting hybrid!!!

My main point wasn''t about workrate per se, rather that Chris Martin needs to be able to focus his talent and his workrate better than he does at the moment, if he wants to make it in the premiership. I am however still a huge fan of his, his contribution this season has been immense and i can only see him growing in stature under Lambert''s direction.
[/quote]

The Berbatov comment was slightly tongue in cheek, and, as I said, I pretty much agree with all you''ve said. He''s not the finished product yet but he could be a City great if he continues to develop, but I just wish people would keep off his back.

[/quote]

Fair enough, must of missed the irony in my rush to get to work. Chrissy can do very little wrong in my book, he''s a local lad who came through the youth team and genuinely looks like he could be the next big thing at this club, an all too rare occurnece in recent years. Hope I came across as constructive rather than just another troll!!!

On the subject of moaners, was at Swindon away and some idiots near me started having a go at Chris when he got elbowed in the face by Gordon Greer (should have been sent off for thet one), shows how myopic some people can be doesn''t it?

And finally with reference to the OP i think he could do it by the time he''s 24 if he stays at the club, the kid''s well on his way to being a club legend.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough, must of missed the irony in my rush to get to work. Chrissy can do very little wrong in my book, he''s a local lad who came through the youth team and genuinely looks like he could be the next big thing at this club, an all too rare occurnece in recent years. Hope I came across as constructive rather than just another troll!!!

On the subject of moaners, was at Swindon away and some idiots near me started having a go at Chris when he got elbowed in the face by Gordon Greer (should have been sent off for thet one), shows how myopic some people can be doesn''t it?

And finally with reference to the OP i think he could do it by the time he''s 24 if he stays at the club, the kid''s well on his way to being a club legend.

I reckon that in 2-3 years he will get snapped up by a top flight club, depending whether he keeps improving and scores goals in the next few seasons!