Sign in to follow this  
Flashman

Deserved praise for Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson''s tremendous contribution to the win over Leeds deserves recognition. I know I have been one of his critics in the past but he gets better every week and is rarely at fault for any goals conceded. Well done Michael and I look forward to you partnering Zak Whitbread in the Championship next season.

[quote user="Flashman"]Michael Nelson''s tremendous contribution to the win over Leeds deserves recognition. I know I have been one of his critics in the past but he gets better every week and is rarely at fault for any goals conceded. Well done Michael and I look forward to you partnering Zak Whitbread in the Championship next season.[/quote]

I agree and disagree with you there sunshine.

He did do well yesterday but what has Doherty done wrong, he was just as good as Nelson yesterday so why should he be dropped for Whitbread, someone who has only played a handful of games for Norwich and hasn''t really proved himself yet in a Norwich shirt

Nelson is consistently solid at getting the ball away from danger. That is where it ends. Don''t get me wrong, I like the guy and I''d play him if I was manager but next year we''re going to need to do more than just get the ball away.Also I always sense that R.Martin, Drury, Rose and Doc aren''t very happy with Nelson. They always seem to rant at him if he clears the ball when he has time and their body language at these times makes them seem really pissed off at him. Anyone else notice this?

It is amazing, but he is surely earning himself a shot at the Championship. I''ll hand my hands up, I thought he was utter pants even at this level but he has proved me wrong.

Yes Nelson has improved so credit to him, still not as good as Doc though who has been outstanding this season especially yesterday.

He''s a good old fashioned centre back. Strong in the tackle, wins everything in the air and decent enough positionally.

My only gripes are, of course, the distribution and on occasion his marking leaves a little to be desired.

Nelson''s a very important part of the squad. He played well yesterday and has been solid for mosta the season to his credit.

Well nelsons right boot came in handy yesterday........i dont wish anything nasty on beccio but i do hope it hurts........alot......and with him out of the way i felt alot better so thanx nelson

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Nelson is consistently solid at getting the ball away from danger. That is where it ends. Don''t get me wrong, I like the guy and I''d play him if I was manager but next year we''re going to need to do more than just get the ball away.

Also I always sense that R.Martin, Drury, Rose and Doc aren''t very happy with Nelson. They always seem to rant at him if he clears the ball when he has time and their body language at these times makes them seem really pissed off at him. Anyone else notice this?
[/quote]

No. Suggest you might wish to borrow the Manager''s new specs.

He is excellent in the air, but a liability with the ball at his feet.  He played very well against Leeds but I don''t see him having a future at Championship level.

Dont you think he was lucky not to get a card of one colour or the other in the incident with Becchio? Had we had the ref from the Southampton game he would have been off ? With 10 men could have been a completely different game.Full marks to the ref.

Nelson has been playing well recently, but i still just feel nervous when he has the ball at his feet or when their is any pace in the opposition. Doc is a lot quicker than he looks and can cope with quicker players but nelson i don''t think can.

[quote user="barclay46"]Dont you think he was lucky not to get a card of one colour or the other in the incident with Becchio? Had we had the ref from the Southampton game he would have been off ? With 10 men could have been a completely different game.Full marks to the ref.[/quote]I thought that the incident was very similar to the red card for Russell against Southampton in that the player was going for the ball. 

It just shows the variation in referees.  In one incident the opposing player bends down to head the ball and gets a serious injury.  Nothing is shown.  In the other incident the opposing player doesn''t bend down and doesn''t receive a serious injury, and the player gets sent off. 

In my opinion neither should receive a card as in both cases the intent was to get the ball, the players were looking at the ball and the opponent came from the side, just unfortunate.  Both should be a foul, but the point was that in both cases the player tried to play the ball and there was no intent to injure the player.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I am utterly convinced he''s the number one choice for Lambert.

I''ve said this before and I''m saying it again.

[/quote]

Yes, Lambert clearly thinks Nelson was an excellent signing.

Nelson''s been solid if unspectcaular, I have my doubts over his ability to play in The Championship but we''ll have to see.