Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Is Football Going Stale?

I agree a1. But you could use that argument for everything. Folk complain about the NOTW and then buy it again the next week. Maybe it''s the complaining that''s the motivation to buy it?

Maybe Sky TV would get more subscribers if their coverage was different but if they seriously believed they would then you can bet your bottom dollar they would change it.

Fans who spend fortunes following their teams all over the country are also put behind the Sky subscribers in their value to football. Which just goes to show who really does rule the roost.

[quote user="a1canary"]Is it that simple Nutty, that the Sky coverage is what people want. Do they have a choice? If what we see on the pitch is not what we want, and lets face it for most fans it''s not, we still go and watch. If i had sky, and i don''t, i would watch every game they showed just because it''s there. That''s why i don''t have it because i know the evil powers it would have over me!! Oh and also because i object to the exorbitant cost and the fact that too much of the proceeds end in the pockets of players. I guess my point is that people are paying but that doesn''t mean it''s what they want for football in general. Many people on here this season have questioned the way football is going and don''t like it, yet i bet plenty of them are still paying their sky subs, because it''s the only option if they want to watch live games on tv.[/quote]

To follow on from that, for many of the new generation of football fans, Sky gives them exactly what they want. My youngest son is 17. He has a wide circle of friends and out of them all (approx 25), only he and two others do not support a big four club. This is on the Isle of Wight FFS.

As these ''fans'' become self sufficient, they will carry on lining the pockets of the biggest clubs via Sky, to the detriment of the rest. Making football even more of a closed shop than it already is.

This isn''t about oldies (I''m only 42) whinging. It''s about seeing where football is inevitably heading and not being able to do a thing about it.

Modern Premiership footy I find so dull. The players just look too coached (no real room for mavericks), are too athletic, the play too fast it only becomes mildly entertaining when players tire. The worst thing about the League though is the lack of competition...it''s just soooo boring. I used to love tennis, but until Federer (the best the game has ever seen?) came along it was the same. Universal power and speed doesn''t necessarily translate to good spectacle. Relative uniformity is just dull. Give me the variety of different shapes and sizes competing in leagues that aren''t rigged by debt & sugar daddies anyday.

I am constantly pleasantly surprised when I revist games from a different age in football. I don''t really get much enjoyment from how fast a player can run, much more from what they can do with a ball. Oh and how the drama plays out in a game/over a season. Modern Premiership football has lost it''s lustre for me by being poorer entertainment.

Guess an analogy would be why do glory hunters support the big teams? is there more to the narrative/invested when it''s your local team ? [^o)]

If you lived in the fine city Matthias, do you think more of your son''s friends, as well as himself, might be city fans? I guess there''s not a lot to support locally down there! Even Pompey probably won''t be an option soon!

I''m already concerned about where the allegiances of my 2 year old may fall, living in the football backwater of Cambridge, awash with wannabe Londoners supporting Spurs Chelsea and Arsenal. Although the Cambridge Utd hardcore is there, not forgetting the highest placed village team in the country - Histon. But it''s hard to expect youngsters growing up with the premiership all around them to take a serious interest in these types of clubs.

Your are bang on though about the direction of football and the frustrations of a significant minority who can''t do anything about it.

[quote user="morty"]The thing is, as much as I agree with what you say, I also agree with Wembley canary too.If you don''t like it you know where the door is. If you don''t like something in your life then change it, but don''t just whine on about it.

[/quote]

That''s my point Morty, it bores me to tears when I hear old fashioned football fans moan about football and how it was so much better back in their day. Now, were all entitled to the odd good old moan, it''s part of our British makeup (especially us Norfolk folk) but sometimes it''s just too much.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="morty"]The thing is, as much as I agree with what you say, I also agree with Wembley canary too.

If you don''t like it you know where the door is. If you don''t like something in your life then change it, but don''t just whine on about it. [/quote] That''s my point Morty, it bores me to tears when I hear old fashioned football fans moan about football and how it was so much better back in their day. Now, were all entitled to the odd good old moan, it''s part of our British makeup (especially us Norfolk folk) but sometimes it''s just too much.[/quote]

Equally I find the likes of yourself both boring and arrogant........

The game was created by our forefathers as a simple working man''s entertainment.... but like all things in this modern world of "hype" and "sensationalism" it has been cynically destroyed. Big money... nancy boy players and pampered la de da "spectators" now have control.... and they will see it gradually wither away to a sideline sport like Rugby League.

Typical attitude of a pompous little prick who thinks this generation invented everything......

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz Close the door on your way out mate[/quote]

If the thread bores you so much, why not just ignore it?

The thing I love most about ''yoofs'' is their ability to completely miss the point.  Did you actually read the original post, Wembleyboy, or did you just scan over it and assume it was a moan about the ''good old days''.  It wasn''t.  I won''t spell it out for you, though, as you''re obviously intelligent enough to get it eventually.  If you don''t like it or understand the point, then you''d be best to leave now before you embarass yourself completely!  If you''d like to start a discussion of your own, feel free, that''s what discussion boards are for.  Alternatively, try reading or watching something by Charlie Brooker, you might learn something.Regarding Sky, I agree that its probably the main cause.  The Premiership is nowhere near as much fun as League 1 has been, but it seems now that the FA Cup is heading the same way.  Maybe its simply the appalling ITV coverage that''s caused me to lose interest, or maybe its just the depressing inevitability of it all.  For me, I think it started in 2007 with the Chelsea vs Manure final which required almost a full 120 minutes before either side decided to take a gamble and truly attack.  Then just a year later, there''s the excitement of a morlowly Premiership club of Portsmouth taking on the plucky Championship heroes of Cardiff, a final which was.... inevitably stultifying.  It was such a workmanlike performance that I began to realise that it wasn''t just the big teams who were ruining the competition, it was the competition almost eating itself to death.The Prem and the Champions League are exactly the same, no one gives a toss about the Uefa Cup (as was) or the League Cup anyway, and as someone else has said, even the Championship this year has been a little predictable - save for the run of Forest and the hilarious decline of the Scum.  Don''t get me wrong, promotion is still the only option, but I wonder whether we''ll be able to recapture the same sense of fun and enjoyment that we''re experiencing now down in League 1?  I think Mello is right - the World Cup probably couldn''t come at a better time to give things an injection of life and energy.  Sure, the whole thing might turn out as predictable as everything else, but it will still undoubtedly be fun and simply a good excuse to watch some footy to annoy the missus for a month.*Roll on the Summer!  Norwich back in Div 2 and England back in the Quarter Final penalty shoot-out... who knows, maybe this time, things could be different for both of us...*You''ll learn about that kind of thing in time, Wembleyboos... possibly)

[quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.[;)][/quote]I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.[;)][/quote]I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P][/quote]Not bad, considering I''m 15.[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.[;)][/quote]I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P][/quote]Not bad, considering I''m 15.[;)][/quote]Shocking! [:O]It matters not, you''ll probably still enjoy this little snippet from today''s Fiver from the Guardian:NIHILO SANCTUM ESTNE?

The Fiver has always believed in the primacy of glory, and not only in

the morning as we stagger blindly out of our bedroom and into the

eyeline of our horrified housemates. Glory is what children get into

football for; to win trophies and script stories for the grandchildren.

And the Fiver, as always, is thinking of the children. Particularly

after it was exclusively revealed in your exclusive daily exclusive

Guardian that the Premier League is considering setting up a play-off

system for the final Big Cup place [http://guardian.chtah.com/a/tBLeXgwAY30QpAe9jDFMa552KrW/fvr19.

Nihilo sanctum estne?

The system, which would need the approval of 14 of the league''s 20

teams, would involve the sides who finish between fourth and seventh.

The Champions League was already about as aptly named as Tim Lovejoy;

now it could potentially include a team that finishes below the team

that finishes below the team that finishes below the team that finishes

below the team that finishes below the team that wins the competition.

There is also a palpable absence of justice - in 2007-08, for instance,

there were 18 points between Liverpool in fourth and Blackburn in

seventh; and as keen as we are to live through another outbreak of

indignant frothing on Merseyside, that just isn''t fair. Nor is it an

isolated case: in 2001-02 there was an 18-point gap between Newcastle in

fourth and West Ham in seventh.

After the laughable proposal for a 39th game a couple of years ago (and

really, these play-offs will be games 39, 40 and 41, probably played in

Asia, or in the back garden of the Big Brother house, or on a bouncy

castle), we look forward to the other innovations the Premier League

will come up with.

A play-off between the top four to decide who are champions? Away goals

counting double if they''re scored from outside the area on a Tuesday?

Football on ice? Each team required to include either Adrian Chiles or

Christine Bleakley in the starting XI? A relegation play-off played in

an airless cage with a marmot placed inside the jockstrap of each

player? But it''s OK: they''ve got the game at heart, honest!!!!!!

Oh, football.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.

[;)]
[/quote]
I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P]
[/quote]

Not bad, considering I''m 15.

[;)]
[/quote]

My god, you''re a well developed lad then, or is that your dad on the pinkun m/b?[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.[;)][/quote]I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P][/quote]Not bad, considering I''m 15.[;)][/quote]

My god, you''re a well developed lad then, or is that your dad on the pinkun m/b?[;)]

[/quote]Shush, don''t blow my cover.[;)]

Evil Monkey, articulate post, but just because you are bored with something, don''t assume it is boring.For a start, your assessment of the Palace FA cup game, and this year''s entire Premier League, as wholly "boring" is about as misaligned with reality and the consensus perception as it''s possible to get. Then, describing Harry Redknapp and Owen Coyle - both undoubtedly charismatic, interesting and both involved in no small amount of personal furore this year alone - as "dour" is a further example of how you write from a position of very personal bias, that fails to reflect nor speak for the majority, let alone reality.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.

[;)]
[/quote]
I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P]
[/quote]

[;)]
[/quote]

Sorry sonny........[;)]

[/quote]

Shush, don''t blow my cover.

[;)]
[/quote]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[;)]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[;)]
[/quote]

Sorry sonny........[;)]

[/quote]

Shush, don''t blow my cover.

[;)]
[/quote][/quote]

Or even

Sorry sonny.....[;)]

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

The game was created by our forefathers as a simple working man''s entertainment.... but like all things in this modern world of "hype" and "sensationalism" it has been cynically destroyed. Big money... nancy boy players and pampered la de da "spectators" now have control.... and they will see it gradually wither away to a sideline sport like Rugby League.

Typical attitude of a pompous little prick who thinks this generation invented everything......

[/quote]

Total wind up Nora! And Wembley did right to dismiss it as such.

The game wasn''t invented by our forefathers for anyones entertainment. It was a sport which is very different from an entertainment. The sport brought together football teams and supporters who followed the team with passion. This became a football club that belonged primarily to it''s local community. It was never about entertainment. That''s what cinemas, theatres and tv''s are for.

It is however being re-invented as an entertainment for tv. Which is where the problem lies for many of us. The followers of this entertainment are not neccessarily the same people who followed their teams with a passion. But these new breed of followers who wish to be entertained in their living room have their needs put first by those who run our sport. Because the combined subscriptions paid by those people who want to be entertained far outweighs what the passionate fans pay to enter the stadiums. Or it does for the clubs that "make the rules"!

I would be quite happy for four clubs to leave our league and go play full time in a so called "Champions League" all over the world and primarily for the benefit of people being entertained in their living rooms. Then leave the rest of the Football League to be played out primarily for the fans who want to actively follow their teams with a few highlights on terrestrial TV over the weekend maybe even hosted by Gerry "what dreadful luck for ipswich" Harrison.

And before anybody cries about second class supporters it''s not about that. But it is about giving everybody what they want.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.[;)][/quote]I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P][/quote]Not bad, considering I''m 15.[;)][/quote]15 eh ? ..........Well considering you''ve said on here - I think - that you''ve been married twice already it sounds like the Old Bill will be feeling some more collars  in the very near future

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="morty"]News just in, shock and horror at "older" posters patronising whippersnappers.[;)][/quote]I''m 28, Morty, and its likely that Wembley is of similar age or at least not much younger... but if someone wants to come across as a child, they''d better get ready for people to treat them like one... incidentally, Morty, you made pretty much the same point as Wembley, but managed to word it like an adult, so you''re safe... [:P][/quote]Not bad, considering I''m 15.[;)][/quote]15 eh ? ..........Well considering you''ve said on here - I think - that you''ve been married twice already it sounds like the Old Bill will be feeling some more collars  in the very near future[/quote]Lol, rumbled.Some people pay way too much attention on here.Maybe I should get me some fake accounts![;)]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="morty"]The thing is, as much as I agree with what you say, I also agree with Wembley canary too.If you don''t like it you know where the door is. If you don''t like something in your life then change it, but don''t just whine on about it.

[/quote]

Wembley Canary wrote : That''s my point Morty, it bores me to tears when I hear old fashioned football fans moan about football and how it was so much better back in their day. Now, were all entitled to the odd good old moan, it''s part of our British makeup (especially us Norfolk folk) but sometimes it''s just too much.[/quote]You''ll think differently when you get older WC.Most youngsters find the older generation boring old farts but eventually as the years pass they themselves end up in the same boat. Young people don''t moan about the old days simply because they haven''t had any.Give it a few more years and you''ll know exactly what I''m getting at.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Whilst events on the pitch have made for interesting viewing of late for Norwich fans, I can''t help finding myself somewhat jaded with football in general.  As I write I''m sat watching Championship ''Crisis-Club'' Crystal Palace take on Premiership top-4 contenders Aston Villa - the game itself is fine, but there''s an overwhelming feeling of predictability about the whole thing.  The Eagles are in serious financial trouble and find themselves floundering towards the bottom of the second tier, but at the time of writing they sit level on goals with the Premiership big-boys and its just so... boring!  Every time Palace have gone forward this half, the turgid ITV commentary team spout incoherent drivel about giant-killings and that awful made-up word ''Cupsets'', trying to fool you into believing that this makes it in some way exciting.  Smaller teams beating bigger teams in cup competitions has always happened, they will always happen; they''re nothing new.  Like Leeds before them, Palace may indeed come out on top in this game and enjoy the plaudits for a brief period, until they are inevitably knocked out by Tottenham in the next round as the FA Cup marches on towards yet another all-Premiership final.  Even if the improbable were to happen, and Palace or another lower-league club make it all the way to the final, all we''ll end up with is an hour of Smug Andy Townsend''s face spewing forth about the ''magic of the FA Cup'' before conceding that defeat was always likely following the effortless trouncing by Manchester City.And what about the Champion''s League (a name which should be subject to false advertising regulations), which begins again this week.  Undoubtedly there''s some big games coming up in the form of Manchester United vs AC Milan, but we can almost write the pre-match script now (and I suspect that''s already true).  Fergie vs Beckham, this will be billed as.  Pre-match reports will concentrate on the relationship between student and mentor and the footballing divorce that brought the love story to an end.  Flying boots will be mentioned frequently, as will The Artist Formerly Known As Posh Spice.  If we''re lucky, we might get treated to a detailed analysis of the tactics the teams will unleash on each other in a bid for victory, but I wouldn''t hold your breath for two reasons: a) its highly unlikely either team will really ''go for it'' for a good hour, and b) the only tactical analysis Sky know how to do is wiggling the players'' mugshots over a CG pitch.Then there''s the language of football.  Whilst the beautiful game hasn''t exactly found itself a gold-mine of sharp wit and intelligence over the years, there have in the past at least been a few colourful characters to enjoy, both on and off the pitch.  But the legend of Mourinho has long since departed, Strachan has become too grumpy, and even the fabled terrace humour has become somewhat run-of-the-mill.  Look at today''s Bolton vs Spurs FA Cup game.  Take two dour managers, add a commentary team reading direct from the Big Book of Footballing Cliches, sprinkle in a crowd whose only spark was shouting ''freak'' at Peter Crouch (about four or five years out of fashion most places), and it all adds up to a cup-tie that, whilst not entirely displeasing as a viewing spectacle, still failed to rouse the imagination.Even football telly has begun to misfire.  Match of the Day has squeezed just about every soundbite possible out of the likes of Hansen, Lineker and Lawro, and whilst the Football League Show makes a decent fist of the difficult job of balancing so many games, they''ve still managed to find some of the worst pundits available and are now resorting to provoking fans in order to get them to text in (the lovely Jacqui Oatley''s dig at Norwich last night being a case in point).All over the country, football is slowly descending into a stale product best enjoyed with large consumptions of alcohol to numb the senses.  The Premiership has been predictable for years, and now it seems the rest of the world is following suit.  The World Cup will undoubtedly capture the imagination at points, but how many games will be end-to-end goal-fests, and how many will be like 2006''s Ukraine vs Switzerland 0-0?  Any respite will be brief, before things come full circle and the football leagues kick off again in August and the whole charade starts all over again, complete with the same commentating clices, the same management soundbites, the same chants and the same refereeing cock-ups.  I''m even willing to bet that come September, at least one commentator has spent a period of time during a Man Utd game talking about Christiano Ronaldo...So what''s going on, and how can we return the spark that is so deperately needed to keep people interested in more than just their own clubs?[/quote]I don''t think it''s stale, it''s just over-exposed.  Ever since in the 1990''s it was decreed by the mass media, helped by Baddiel and Skinner and the other bandwagon jumpers, that "it''s okay to like football", it''s been massively overhyped and put on TV and radio to the point of saturation.So I don''t think the game itself is stale, no.  As Bly says, go to any live match anywhere and you''ll see the same passion and joy (or anger and hatred if Glenn Roeder''s managing) that has always been present in the game.  Get yourself across to Stockport, or Bury, or Oldham, or Tranmere, or (if you can bear it) Man U or Man City, and it''s still there.  Also, your World Cup point is moot - in 1982 England qualified for the 2nd phase without winning a game, and there have always been dull 0-0 draws in every football tournament throughout history.   Again, plus ca change.Now what is stale, and dull, and what I agree with you on, is the TV and radio coverage.  Particularly radio, and particularly Radio 5 "Live".  I can actually predict the content of the 606 phone-in before it happens:Caller 1: "Hi Alan. I''m a (Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal) fan and I want to say today was a disgrace.  No pride, no passion, no commitment...."Caller 2: "Hi Alan.  I''m a (Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal) fan and I think (Ferguson/Ancelotti/Benitez/Wenger) got it wrong today..."Caller 3: "Hi Alan.  I''m a (Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal) fan from (Edinburgh/Dublin/John O''Groats) and I wasn''t at the game today but the referee was appalling..."The formats are tired and old, the cliches are tired and old, but footballers aren''t known for their brains and the token women they pick to talk about football aren''t picked for their brains either.  Though I do enjoy Lawrenson''s analysis of defensive blunders.The solution, I guess, is to watch more football in the flesh and less on the box.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]The thing I love most about ''yoofs'' is their ability to completely miss the point.  Did you actually read the original post, Wembleyboy, or did you just scan over it and assume it was a moan about the ''good old days''.  It wasn''t.  I won''t spell it out for you, though, as you''re obviously intelligent enough to get it eventually.  If you don''t like it or understand the point, then you''d be best to leave now before you embarass yourself completely!  If you''d like to start a discussion of your own, feel free, that''s what discussion boards are for.  Alternatively, try reading or watching something by Charlie Brooker, you might learn something.*You''ll learn about that kind of thing in time, Wembleyboos... possibly)[/quote]Yes Grandad I did have the plesure of reading your entire post of dribble, cracking read it was and I admire your effort, but ultimately it was just a good old moan about modern day football wasn''t it? I hear this kind of dribble all the time, usually from 40+ year olds sat in the corner of a pub with a glass of whisky. Sure you didn''t make any reference to football in "the good old days" but you didn''t need to, after all I assume you haven''t always found football so tedious? I don''t mind though, it''s just your opinion and it hardly reflects that of an entire nation as football audience figures and attendance figures continue to grow. I don''t find the current generation of football boring at all and it''s certainly not going stale, maybe for you grandads it is [;)]P.S Your only 28! [:O] Tell you what Evil Monkey, you''ll make a cracking Grandad one day, mark my words!

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]The thing I love most about ''yoofs'' is their ability to completely miss the point.  Did you actually read the original post, Wembleyboy, or did you just scan over it and assume it was a moan about the ''good old days''.  It wasn''t.  I won''t spell it out for you, though, as you''re obviously intelligent enough to get it eventually.  If you don''t like it or understand the point, then you''d be best to leave now before you embarass yourself completely!  If you''d like to start a discussion of your own, feel free, that''s what discussion boards are for.  Alternatively, try reading or watching something by Charlie Brooker, you might learn something.

*You''ll learn about that kind of thing in time, Wembleyboos... possibly)
[/quote]

Yes Grandad I did have the plesure of reading your entire post of dribble, cracking read it was and I admire your effort, but ultimately it was just a good old moan about modern day football wasn''t it? I hear this kind of dribble all the time, usually from 40+ year olds sat in the corner of a pub with a glass of whisky. Sure you didn''t make any reference to football in "the good old days" but you didn''t need to, after all I assume you haven''t always found football so tedious? I don''t mind though, it''s just your opinion and it hardly reflects that of an entire nation as football audience figures and attendance figures continue to grow. I don''t find the current generation of football boring at all and it''s certainly not going stale, maybe for you grandads it is [;)]

P.S Your only 28! [:O] Tell you what Evil Monkey, you''ll make a cracking Grandad one day, mark my words!
[/quote]

And you lot whinge when when you''re not taken seriously by society?........

Thank goodness though that there are still plenty of bright youngsters among you who deserve to be heard and who will save the day for the rest of the ignorant oiks you''ll carry through life........

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

Total wind up Nora! And Wembley did right to dismiss it as such.

The game wasn''t invented by our forefathers for anyones entertainment. It was a sport which is very different from an entertainment. The sport brought together football teams and supporters who followed the team with passion. This became a football club that belonged primarily to it''s local community. It was never about entertainment. That''s what cinemas, theatres and tv''s are for.

It is however being re-invented as an entertainment for tv. Which is where the problem lies for many of us. The followers of this entertainment are not neccessarily the same people who followed their teams with a passion. But these new breed of followers who wish to be entertained in their living room have their needs put first by those who run our sport. Because the combined subscriptions paid by those people who want to be entertained far outweighs what the passionate fans pay to enter the stadiums. Or it does for the clubs that "make the rules"!

I would be quite happy for four clubs to leave our league and go play full time in a so called "Champions League" all over the world and primarily for the benefit of people being entertained in their living rooms. Then leave the rest of the Football League to be played out primarily for the fans who want to actively follow their teams with a few highlights on terrestrial TV over the weekend maybe even hosted by Gerry "what dreadful luck for ipswich" Harrison.

And before anybody cries about second class supporters it''s not about that. But it is about giving everybody what they want.

[/quote]

Too long and not worth reading........

ZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz  [|-)]

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

And you lot whinge when when you''re not taken seriously by society?........

Thank goodness though that there are still plenty of bright youngsters among you who deserve to be heard and who will save the day for the rest of the ignorant oiks you''ll carry through life........

[/quote]

Spot on Sir, my generation are the biggest **** ups of all time!