Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Is Football Going Stale?

football is getting stale, we now have other medias that show other sports, but always football will be top and whatever makes money will continue to push this sport

I support only norwich, don''t care about champs. league, world cup not too btohered norwich winning promotion means more than a world cup

but then again there are not many other sporting spectacles that can take the english fan from the football clubs, although attendances are nothing special. Rugby league is a mans sport but only played in a small area of the uk, the english rugby union team can put you to sleep and always has. So thank god we do have the tv for other sporting achievements and sports

I don''t mind cutting my money I would pay into Norwich City to other sports nad teams I support. This year I intend to see the tour de france and will spend money on american football

I think it is healthy to follow all sports, and not always being patriotic in that support.

Is football stale, well attendances would say so, but tv revenue would say no. But it is global. I do care at grassroots level and grassroot leagues but do I care it is getting stale? No

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

Equally I find the likes of yourself both boring and arrogant........

The game was created by our forefathers as a simple working man''s entertainment.... but like all things in this modern world of "hype" and "sensationalism" it has been cynically destroyed. Big money... nancy boy players and pampered la de da "spectators" now have control.... and they will see it gradually wither away to a sideline sport like Rugby League.

Typical attitude of a pompous little prick who thinks this generation invented everything......

[/quote]

Total wind up Nora! And Wembley did right to dismiss it as such.

The game wasn''t invented by our forefathers for anyones entertainment. It was a sport which is very different from an entertainment. The sport brought together football teams and supporters who followed the team with passion. This became a football club that belonged primarily to it''s local community. It was never about entertainment. That''s what cinemas, theatres and tv''s are for.

It is however being re-invented as an entertainment for tv. Which is where the problem lies for many of us. The followers of this entertainment are not neccessarily the same people who followed their teams with a passion. But these new breed of followers who wish to be entertained in their living room have their needs put first by those who run our sport. Because the combined subscriptions paid by those people who want to be entertained far outweighs what the passionate fans pay to enter the stadiums. Or it does for the clubs that "make the rules"!

I would be quite happy for four clubs to leave our league and go play full time in a so called "Champions League" all over the world and primarily for the benefit of people being entertained in their living rooms. Then leave the rest of the Football League to be played out primarily for the fans who want to actively follow their teams with a few highlights on terrestrial TV over the weekend maybe even hosted by Gerry "what dreadful luck for ipswich" Harrison.

And before anybody cries about second class supporters it''s not about that. But it is about giving everybody what they want.

[/quote]

Too long and not worth reading........

ZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz  [|-)]

[/quote]

Too long it maybe. But it sums up your namby pamby idea about the sport our forefathers invented. Entertainment my a*se Nora! I expect you''re one of these new age fans who sits in her armchair applauding a Beckham pass or maybe more like a beached whale on the sofa eating popcorn while your beloved Man U or Chelsea are on the TV again[|-)]

WHAT DO WE WE WANT?.. OUR GAME BACK...WHEN DO WE WANT IT?.... NOW!

[/quote]

Jesus.... "Namby pamby" coming from you? Quite cleary you are mentally unstable and unable to grasp even the the basics of my argument.

Interacting (or trying to) with you is like p1ssing into the wind..... and it''s why I don''t even bother trying. Stick to your little gang of oddbods who might have rather more patience than me....... 

Going back to the points about ''the good old days'', I don''t believe this is necessarily the case.  I grew up learning about football on my own terms, as none of my family other than my brother and I, are football fans.  It was the late 80''s/early 90''s when I really began to pay attention, and I remember the 1990 World Cup fondly for really igniting my own passions at the tender age of 8.  I remember Norwich''s blistering early 90''s form and the subsequent decline, but even as Sky came in and clubs flaunted their millions during the 90''s my passion never wavered.Even through the past decade, as the Premiership became a billionaire''s playground and the top 4 became predictable, I still enjoyed watching football, talking, listening and reading about football, and continued to immerse myself in its culture.  For me, its not about any so-called ''good old days'' (in spite of what certain ''youngsters'' think), its the fact that in the past two or three years nothing has surprised me.  The last time I remember being truly excited by a game outside of NCFC is the Liverpool vs West Ham FA Cup Final, and the Liverpool vs AC Milan Champs League final prior to that.  Perhaps there''s a strange synchronicity between entertainment and the decline of Liverpool as a club (or maybe I''m a secret Liverpool fan - christ, there''s a thought! Although I don''t think I could quite muster that much self-loathing...)? I wonder if Bly, and whoever else it was who said that I might be

suffering from not watching games live, is right.  In the past two years

I''ve only seen something like two Norwich games live at a stadium, and

this might be the source of my own personal malaise.  We''ve got Oldham

coming up, which I''m getting my ticket for later this week, so hopefully

this will be the shot in the arm I need!OTBC

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

The game was created by our forefathers as a simple working man''s entertainment.... but like all things in this modern world of "hype" and "sensationalism" it has been cynically destroyed. Big money... nancy boy players and pampered la de da "spectators" now have control.... and they will see it gradually wither away to a sideline sport like Rugby League.

Typical attitude of a pompous little prick who thinks this generation invented everything......

[/quote]

The game wasn''t invented by our forefathers for anyones entertainment. It was a sport which is very different from an entertainment. The sport brought together football teams and supporters who followed the team with passion. This became a football club that belonged primarily to it''s local community. It was never about entertainment. That''s what cinemas, theatres and tv''s are for.

It is however being re-invented as an entertainment for tv. Which is where the problem lies for many of us. The followers of this entertainment are not neccessarily the same people who followed their teams with a passion. But these new breed of followers who wish to be entertained in their living room have their needs put first by those who run our sport. Because the combined subscriptions paid by those people who want to be entertained far outweighs what the passionate fans pay to enter the stadiums. Or it does for the clubs that "make the rules"!

I would be quite happy for four clubs to leave our league and go play full time in a so called "Champions League" all over the world and primarily for the benefit of people being entertained in their living rooms. Then leave the rest of the Football League to be played out primarily for the fans who want to actively follow their teams with a few highlights on terrestrial TV over the weekend maybe even hosted by Gerry "what dreadful luck for ipswich" Harrison.

And before anybody cries about second class supporters it''s not about that. But it is about giving everybody what they want.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Too long it maybe. But it sums up your namby pamby idea about the sport our forefathers invented. Entertainment my a*se Nora! I expect you''re one of these new age fans who sits in her armchair applauding a Beckham pass or maybe more like a beached whale on the sofa eating popcorn while your beloved Man U or Chelsea are on the TV again[|-)]

[/quote]

Jesus.... "Namby pamby" coming from you? Quite cleary you are mentally unstable and unable to grasp even the the basics of my argument.

Interacting (or trying to) with you is like p1ssing into the wind..... and it''s why I don''t even bother trying. Stick to your little gang of oddbods who might have rather more patience than me....... 

[/quote]

Lovely old job[Y]

I suggest you''re deluded if you believe football was invented for anyones entertainment. As I said it''s being re-invented by Sky TV ''n''all as an entertainment. Obviously for people like you. But the real grass roots fans will find a way to enjoy their sport even if it means ignoring the Premier League, Champions League or any of your other forms of "entertainment". That''s why many of us have enjoyed this season despite the drop in status.

You''ve obviously been spending too much time practicing for your next group sperm donation.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lovely old job[Y]

I suggest you''re deluded if you believe football was invented for anyones entertainment. As I said it''s being re-invented by Sky TV ''n''all as an entertainment. Obviously for people like you. But the real grass roots fans will find a way to enjoy their sport even if it means ignoring the Premier League, Champions League or any of your other forms of "entertainment". That''s why many of us have enjoyed this season despite the drop in status.

You''ve obviously been spending too much time practicing for your next group sperm donation.

[/quote]

Like I''ve already said.... you haven''t got a bloody clue have you?.

Dear oh dear oh dear..........

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Going back to the points about ''the good old days'', I don''t believe this is necessarily the case.  I grew up learning about football on my own terms, as none of my family other than my brother and I, are football fans.  It was the late 80''s/early 90''s when I really began to pay attention, and I remember the 1990 World Cup fondly for really igniting my own passions at the tender age of 8.  I remember Norwich''s blistering early 90''s form and the subsequent decline, but even as Sky came in and clubs flaunted their millions during the 90''s my passion never wavered.

Even through the past decade, as the Premiership became a billionaire''s playground and the top 4 became predictable, I still enjoyed watching football, talking, listening and reading about football, and continued to immerse myself in its culture.  For me, its not about any so-called ''good old days'' (in spite of what certain ''youngsters'' think), its the fact that in the past two or three years nothing has surprised me.  The last time I remember being truly excited by a game outside of NCFC is the Liverpool vs West Ham FA Cup Final, and the Liverpool vs AC Milan Champs League final prior to that.  Perhaps there''s a strange synchronicity between entertainment and the decline of Liverpool as a club (or maybe I''m a secret Liverpool fan - christ, there''s a thought! Although I don''t think I could quite muster that much self-loathing...)?

I wonder if Bly, and whoever else it was who said that I might be suffering from not watching games live, is right.  In the past two years I''ve only seen something like two Norwich games live at a stadium, and this might be the source of my own personal malaise.  We''ve got Oldham coming up, which I''m getting my ticket for later this week, so hopefully this will be the shot in the arm I need!

OTBC
[/quote]

Throwing all prejudices and pre-conceived notions aside, I think that if you watched last night''s match between AC Milan and Manchester United a little passion may have been stirred you within - even though the referee employed his best efforts to make it a non-contact match!

And there''s me watching a first leg CL match against my own advice. Well, well. But I suppose the trouble is that I find the way Manchester United play football eternally fascinating - plus, of course, Wayne Rooney is one of the very few players I would trek a long way to watch.

Enjoy the Oldham match. I wish I could be there.

OTBC

Sadly this is all so depressingly true and as for how to return the spark.......I don''t believe it''s possible. I don''t think the money rollercoaster that has brought the game to where it is now is capable of making a ''u'' turn. Unfortunately, simply put there is far too much money going to far too few clubs. Along with their increased and disproportionate share of the money comes influence. And there lies a major part of the problem; those who are the main beneficieries of the current system are also those who''s support would be needed to change it. It''s never going to happen. And meanwhile more and more less fortunate clubs will go to the wall along with their supporters. There is of course a way to put it right, but as I said before I really don''t believe it will happen. There is of course a possibility of some ''Too Little To Late'' tinkering being done when League 2 isn''t needed anymore because 20 odd clubs have gone bust, but sadly that''s probably the best we can hope for.