Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Is Football Going Stale?

Well done wembley canary, who I suspect is a paid up member of the thick generation.

Admitting that he " didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s" though is still happy to claim " The standard of football is better than it ever was ".

Further compounding his ignorance, our cardboard hero bleats " the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain"

And what might they be ? Places where Mum, Dad and the two offspring make up the back four ? Or perhaps some place where their seats are subsidised by the casual fan paying a stupid price for a ticket ?

" the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been " Only someone waiting for his bollox to drop could squeak up with that one. here''s someone who has not witnessed previous eras yet still bleats out an authoritive voice on how things are.

" "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this"

Maybe junior you might ask yourself why this is becoming a regular topic of conversation ? Why those talking about it are those that have seen both sides of the argument. Because I can assure you, as someone who DID watch the game during the 70''s and 80''s, of one thing. Nobody, but nobody was complaining then and comparing how it used to be before. So why is it that so many fans are saying this now ?

Or perhaps they are all wrong and you alone, like some pre pubescent superhero has all the knowledge. Knowledge that those who actually lived it don''t possess.

Maybe they were better days.

At least then little irritants like you would have been sent down to the front of the terrace with your box to stand on and not be further up the terraces annoying the grown ups.

the champions league is the biggest joke in sport..

in any other sport you get nothing for finishing 2nd, in football you can finish as low as 4th and get placed in a competiotn for "champions"

Lets give the boxer who lays on his back, ko''ed in the ring, a belt shall we? Or the formula 1 driver who comes second 3 years in a row a special award....

Last time i checked a Champion was someone who won something. Ergo, the Champions leaguue should be open to Domestic League winners, League cup winners and FA cup winners (or equivalent) in each country in europe. with the top 9 o 10 ranked european nations (based on intertaional performance) submitting the teams.

if you come second in the premiership you enter the Europa cup.. you werent good enough.. deal with it.

if i was in charge of Uefa (or even FIFA)i''d bring this change in.. id also scrap the league format of the champions league and make it a knock out 2 legged competition like the league cup of old.

Who cares if we get another Steua Bucharest or Red Star Belgrade, it would be good for the game imo... if chelski whinge for finishing 2nd and have to play the best postment Hungary can muster in round 1 of the europa then they simply should have won more games than the premiership winners.

With regards the cup, if a team like Blackburn won the FA cup, they would be in the european cup as they have won something.. same goes for the League cup winners.

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

Equally I find the likes of yourself both boring and arrogant........

The game was created by our forefathers as a simple working man''s entertainment.... but like all things in this modern world of "hype" and "sensationalism" it has been cynically destroyed. Big money... nancy boy players and pampered la de da "spectators" now have control.... and they will see it gradually wither away to a sideline sport like Rugby League.

Typical attitude of a pompous little prick who thinks this generation invented everything......

[/quote]

Total wind up Nora! And Wembley did right to dismiss it as such.

The game wasn''t invented by our forefathers for anyones entertainment. It was a sport which is very different from an entertainment. The sport brought together football teams and supporters who followed the team with passion. This became a football club that belonged primarily to it''s local community. It was never about entertainment. That''s what cinemas, theatres and tv''s are for.

It is however being re-invented as an entertainment for tv. Which is where the problem lies for many of us. The followers of this entertainment are not neccessarily the same people who followed their teams with a passion. But these new breed of followers who wish to be entertained in their living room have their needs put first by those who run our sport. Because the combined subscriptions paid by those people who want to be entertained far outweighs what the passionate fans pay to enter the stadiums. Or it does for the clubs that "make the rules"!

I would be quite happy for four clubs to leave our league and go play full time in a so called "Champions League" all over the world and primarily for the benefit of people being entertained in their living rooms. Then leave the rest of the Football League to be played out primarily for the fans who want to actively follow their teams with a few highlights on terrestrial TV over the weekend maybe even hosted by Gerry "what dreadful luck for ipswich" Harrison.

And before anybody cries about second class supporters it''s not about that. But it is about giving everybody what they want.

[/quote]

Too long and not worth reading........

ZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz  [|-)]

[/quote]

Too long it maybe. But it sums up your namby pamby idea about the sport our forefathers invented. Entertainment my a*se Nora! I expect you''re one of these new age fans who sits in her armchair applauding a Beckham pass or maybe more like a beached whale on the sofa eating popcorn while your beloved Man U or Chelsea are on the TV again[|-)]

WHAT DO WE WE WANT?.. OUR GAME BACK...WHEN DO WE WANT IT?.... NOW!

[quote user="City1st"]Well done wembley canary, who I suspect is a paid up member of the thick generation. Admitting that he " didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s" though is still happy to claim " The standard of football is better than it ever was ". Further compounding his ignorance, our cardboard hero bleats " the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain" And what might they be ? Places where Mum, Dad and the two offspring make up the back four ? Or perhaps some place where their seats are subsidised by the casual fan paying a stupid price for a ticket ? " the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been " Only someone waiting for his bollox to drop could squeak up with that one. here''s someone who has not witnessed previous eras yet still bleats out an authoritive voice on how things are. " "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this" Maybe junior you might ask yourself why this is becoming a regular topic of conversation ? Why those talking about it are those that have seen both sides of the argument. Because I can assure you, as someone who DID watch the game during the 70''s and 80''s, of one thing. Nobody, but nobody was complaining then and comparing how it used to be before. So why is it that so many fans are saying this now ? Or perhaps they are all wrong and you alone, like some pre pubescent superhero has all the knowledge. Knowledge that those who actually lived it don''t possess. Maybe they were better days. At least then little irritants like you would have been sent down to the front of the terrace with your box to stand on and not be further up the terraces annoying the grown ups.[/quote]

Ouch!

[Y][:)]

OTBC

[quote user="City1st"]Well done wembley canary, who I suspect is a paid up member of the thick generation.

Admitting that he " didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s" though is still happy to claim " The standard of football is better than it ever was ".

Further compounding his ignorance, our cardboard hero bleats " the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain"

And what might they be ? Places where Mum, Dad and the two offspring make up the back four ? Or perhaps some place where their seats are subsidised by the casual fan paying a stupid price for a ticket ?

" the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been " Only someone waiting for his bollox to drop could squeak up with that one. here''s someone who has not witnessed previous eras yet still bleats out an authoritive voice on how things are.

" "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this"

Maybe junior you might ask yourself why this is becoming a regular topic of conversation ? Why those talking about it are those that have seen both sides of the argument. Because I can assure you, as someone who DID watch the game during the 70''s and 80''s, of one thing. Nobody, but nobody was complaining then and comparing how it used to be before. So why is it that so many fans are saying this now ?

Or perhaps they are all wrong and you alone, like some pre pubescent superhero has all the knowledge. Knowledge that those who actually lived it don''t possess.

Maybe they were better days.

At least then little irritants like you would have been sent down to the front of the terrace with your box to stand on and not be further up the terraces annoying the grown ups.[/quote]

Lol Must have touched a fragile nerve

What is this, grandad reunion thread?

"back in my day" blah blah blah

My point still stands, football is no where near as bad as old timers like to make out, they just love to have a good old moan about it, sorry for interrupting sir, may the modern day football bashing continue.

P.S don''t hold back next time, just let it all out!

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="City1st"]Well done wembley canary, who I suspect is a paid up member of the thick generation. Admitting that he " didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s" though is still happy to claim " The standard of football is better than it ever was ". Further compounding his ignorance, our cardboard hero bleats " the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain" And what might they be ? Places where Mum, Dad and the two offspring make up the back four ? Or perhaps some place where their seats are subsidised by the casual fan paying a stupid price for a ticket ? " the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been " Only someone waiting for his bollox to drop could squeak up with that one. here''s someone who has not witnessed previous eras yet still bleats out an authoritive voice on how things are. " "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this" Maybe junior you might ask yourself why this is becoming a regular topic of conversation ? Why those talking about it are those that have seen both sides of the argument. Because I can assure you, as someone who DID watch the game during the 70''s and 80''s, of one thing. Nobody, but nobody was complaining then and comparing how it used to be before. So why is it that so many fans are saying this now ? Or perhaps they are all wrong and you alone, like some pre pubescent superhero has all the knowledge. Knowledge that those who actually lived it don''t possess. Maybe they were better days. At least then little irritants like you would have been sent down to the front of the terrace with your box to stand on and not be further up the terraces annoying the grown ups.[/quote] Lol Must have touched a fragile nerve What is this, grandad reunion thread? "back in my day" blah blah blah My point still stands, football is no where near as bad as old timers like to make out, they just love to have a good old moan about it, sorry for interrupting sir, may the modern day football bashing continue. P.S don''t hold back next time, just let it all out![/quote]

What you seem to be overlooking in your continual self justification is just how offensive your comments are to older people. I''m 53 and a granddad, so presumably I''m right between your crosshairs.

You clearly bridle at what you see as people patronising you, but then fail to understand why you are provoking a similar reaction. Old age isn''t a choice, and you''ll get here one day, watching people you love die off or contract cancer. I''d love to be young again, but then again I know how brash and arrogant I was and how embarassed I am now about things that I said and did then. Old age brings many bad things but it also brings perspective and a better understanding that what might seem unbelievably clever and witty to you just makes other people see you as obnoxious.

You make some good points, so why not just put your faith in your argument and leave the put downs to one side?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

Equally I find the likes of yourself both boring and arrogant........

The game was created by our forefathers as a simple working man''s entertainment.... but like all things in this modern world of "hype" and "sensationalism" it has been cynically destroyed. Big money... nancy boy players and pampered la de da "spectators" now have control.... and they will see it gradually wither away to a sideline sport like Rugby League.

Typical attitude of a pompous little prick who thinks this generation invented everything......

[/quote]

Total wind up Nora! And Wembley did right to dismiss it as such.

The game wasn''t invented by our forefathers for anyones entertainment. It was a sport which is very different from an entertainment. The sport brought together football teams and supporters who followed the team with passion. This became a football club that belonged primarily to it''s local community. It was never about entertainment. That''s what cinemas, theatres and tv''s are for.

It is however being re-invented as an entertainment for tv. Which is where the problem lies for many of us. The followers of this entertainment are not neccessarily the same people who followed their teams with a passion. But these new breed of followers who wish to be entertained in their living room have their needs put first by those who run our sport. Because the combined subscriptions paid by those people who want to be entertained far outweighs what the passionate fans pay to enter the stadiums. Or it does for the clubs that "make the rules"!

I would be quite happy for four clubs to leave our league and go play full time in a so called "Champions League" all over the world and primarily for the benefit of people being entertained in their living rooms. Then leave the rest of the Football League to be played out primarily for the fans who want to actively follow their teams with a few highlights on terrestrial TV over the weekend maybe even hosted by Gerry "what dreadful luck for ipswich" Harrison.

And before anybody cries about second class supporters it''s not about that. But it is about giving everybody what they want.

[/quote]

Too long and not worth reading........

ZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz  [|-)]

[/quote]

Too long it maybe. But it sums up your namby pamby idea about the sport our forefathers invented. Entertainment my a*se Nora! I expect you''re one of these new age fans who sits in her armchair applauding a Beckham pass or maybe more like a beached whale on the sofa eating popcorn while your beloved Man U or Chelsea are on the TV again[|-)]

WHAT DO WE WE WANT?.. OUR GAME BACK...WHEN DO WE WANT IT?.... NOW!

[/quote]

Now where did I leave my cloth cap, pipe and scarf.

Oh no jeans please and wear a suit ant tie

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Apologies if I have caused offence, I see it as light hearted humour myself, but if you have deemed it as offensive then I can only apologise to you.[/quote]

No problem. One of the big drawbacks of this medium of communication is that we all see the words but don''t always appreciate the underlying sentiments. I can hardly claim the moral high ground as I''ve done it enough myself, but you need to appreciate that we''re all still 18 in our heads, even if the other bits are giving out!

Regardless of your age, if you don''t like something in your life then stop doing it.It really is that simple.[:)]

[quote user="morty"]Regardless of your age, if you don''t like something in your life then stop doing it.

It really is that simple.

[:)]
[/quote]

That''s all I need, life advice from a 15 year old......[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="morty"]Regardless of your age, if you don''t like something in your life then stop doing it.It really is that simple.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]Shush grandad.[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="morty"]Regardless of your age, if you don''t like something in your life then stop doing it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shush grandad.

[;)]
[/quote]

Bloody whippersnapper......[:P]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shush grandad.

[;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Is that lad annoying you son?

Just let me get the Zimmer out and I will go round and fetch him a clout with my pension book![;)]

" my point still stands, football is no where near as bad as old timers like to make out"

I note that you accept there''s something wrong the debate is merely HOW bad it is.

I''m still waiting, as I''m sure most in long trousers are, for you too explain how you are qualified to make a comparison having never seen the football most on here are talking about.

As to Morty I''m sure the poor lad has not quite grasped the irony of him posting ''if you don''t like something stop it'' given the endless posts he fills the forum with.

Or that he uses a forum. A place where ideas are exchanged and discussed. As he doesn''t like this thread why doesn''t he follow hi sown advice and stop using it. In fact that might apply to much else he does on here.

Or is it that his advice applies only to others ?

[quote user="City1st"]" my point still stands, football is no where near as bad as old timers like to make out"

I note that you accept there''s something wrong the debate is merely HOW bad it is.

I''m still waiting, as I''m sure most in long trousers are, for you too explain how you are qualified to make a comparison having never seen the football most on here are talking about.

As to Morty I''m sure the poor lad has not quite grasped the irony of him posting ''if you don''t like something stop it'' given the endless posts he fills the forum with.

Or that he uses a forum. A place where ideas are exchanged and discussed. As he doesn''t like this thread why doesn''t he follow hi sown advice and stop using it. In fact that might apply to much else he does on here.

Or is it that his advice applies only to others ?[/quote]I like posting here, so I continue to do it.Lol, not another E-beef, sorry my E-argument diary is full right now.[:)]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shush grandad.

[;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Is that lad annoying you son?

Just let me get the Zimmer out and I will go round and fetch him a clout with my pension book![;)]

[/quote]

Don''t worry I''ve asked that nice PC Dixon to have a word with his Dad. Hopefully he''ll take his belt to him and send him to bed without his gruel![;)]

This one might work Beaus[;)]

Nothing at our football club can divide us anymore. We all love winning. We all love Lambert. And the club is on the up[Y]You still have Doc Lovers and Doc Haters and still have Deliaites and Deliaouts but in both cases the anti''s are pretty much keeping their own counsel at the moment for fear of looking a bit daft.

But there''s mileage in this my friend. The Whippers Snappers[&] and The Old Scrotes[sn] This one could catch on and is better than a class war[;)]

I love being the age I am. It has disadvantages for sure but the good far outweighs the bad. And nobody should ever moan about getting old because it has to be way preferable to the alternative.[:S]

[quote user="The Butler"]

Now where did I leave my cloth cap and scarf.

[/quote]

I found them for you....

Houndstooth Dog Hat and Scarf Set - Click Image to Close

... The dog had ''em!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This one might work Beaus[;)]

Nothing at our football club can divide us anymore. We all love winning. We all love Lambert. And the club is on the up[Y]You still have Doc Lovers and Doc Haters and still have Deliaites and Deliaouts but in both cases the anti''s are pretty much keeping their own counsel at the moment for fear of looking a bit daft.

But there''s mileage in this my friend. The Whippers Snappers[&] and The Old Scrotes[sn] This one could catch on and is better than a class war[;)]

I love being the age I am. It has disadvantages for sure but the good far outweighs the bad. And nobody should ever moan about getting old because it has to be way preferable to the alternative.[:S]

[/quote]No, I know you''re kind of joking but no.I left this board for a few years over the Worthy in /Worthy out debacle. Then used to just lurk and read, only for the Delia in / Delia out caper to surface.I really don''t get why people can''t express their own opinions, but instead feel the need to hide behind some sort of forum gang.

I strated posting on here probably at about the time you left then Morty. And it does seem to me that feuds and gangs are the very lifeblood of it. Everytime there''s an issue posters want to place fans in imaginary gangs. And those gangs are the extremes. You can''t possibly hold a middle ground position where it would be possible to believe something like "Delia Smith has made some mistakes but on balance she is the best present option to own the club".

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I strated posting on here probably at about the time you left then Morty. And it does seem to me that feuds and gangs are the very lifeblood of it. Everytime there''s an issue posters want to place fans in imaginary gangs. And those gangs are the extremes. You can''t possibly hold a middle ground position where it would be possible to believe something like "Delia Smith has made some mistakes but on balance she is the best present option to own the club".

[/quote]Actually that is my opinion on her lol.It just all got ridiculous though, everyone had to be branded, and no matter what you said your opinion was already tainted in the eyes of the other gang. All sensible debate ceased and this place just became pathetic, hence me taking a sabbatical!

In my opinion everything in football is wrong at the moment and its all because of money. How can it be right that small clubs in league one and two are in danger of going out of business because they owe a couple of hundred grand and you get top players in the premiership nearly being paid that a week. I think since the indrouction of the champions league things have got alot worse as that is where the money is now and it is just making the so called big four stronger and f**k everyone else. Its a sad situation when the biggest battle in any competition is the one for 5th place but thats how it is now with the premiership and gone are the days when a team can do a "Norwich" and battle for the championship up till the last weeks of the season.

Many of the things you list are accurate. But much of it is to do with TV, money, premiership, media asslicking of "the big four" (what a disgusting concept/phrase). Added to the list would surely be sterile football grounds: Away fans making 9/10 of the noise, teams playing music when they score.

But does anything else on a Saturday beat getting on a coach, train or car to go watch your club at home or away?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Actually that is my opinion on her lol.

It just all got ridiculous though, everyone had to be branded, and no matter what you said your opinion was already tainted in the eyes of the other gang. All sensible debate ceased and this place just became pathetic, hence me taking a sabbatical!
[/quote]

We learned well from the House of Commons then.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

Now where did I leave my cloth cap and scarf.

[/quote]

I found them for you....

Houndstooth Dog Hat and Scarf Set - Click Image to Close

... The dog had ''em!

[/quote]

Pretty in pink, eh Butler!

Now,  I wonder how nigel came by ''em?

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Apologies if I have caused offence, I see it as light hearted humour myself, but if you have deemed it as offensive then I can only apologise to you.[/quote]

No problem. One of the big drawbacks of this medium of communication is that we all see the words but don''t always appreciate the underlying sentiments. I can hardly claim the moral high ground as I''ve done it enough myself, but you need to appreciate that we''re all still 18 in our heads, even if the other bits are giving out!

[/quote]Good of you to post this WC, not everyone would.One of the main problems with being young is that you can''t imagine that you will ever get old. The probability is you will.Can''t say I''m with Beauseant in that I''m still feeling 18 in my head - I am a bit older - but I can''t disagree that when everything is firmly heading South and you don''t know an i-pod from an MP3 player it''s time to wave the white flag and surrender.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Good of you to post this WC, not everyone would.

One of the main problems with being young is that you can''t imagine that you will ever get old. The probability is you will.

Can''t say I''m with Beauseant in that I''m still feeling 18 in my head - I am a bit older - but I can''t disagree that when everything is firmly heading South and you don''t know an i-pod from an MP3 player it''s time to wave the white flag and surrender.
[/quote]

Typical, I post in a reconciliatory spirit and then you create an "I''m older in my head than you" schism[:P]

PS What''s an i-pod?[;)]