Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stick

Hoolahan

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how many times Hoolahan says "you know", especially when he is being interviewed. Last time I counted 19 times!

I know Lambert said every player has his price but I think that someone would have to put in a bid of about 10 million in for him to allow Hoolahan to leave. Lambert wouldn''t sell a key player in a hurry after the run we have been on recently.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="bjg123"]But this thread is talking about a player leaving for another club, and someone pointed out we''re bigger than Boro so why would he leave? Unless players careers span 30 years where the clubs will be in 25 years is neither here nor there. Historically Leeds are bigger than Burnley, at the mo they''re not, just like we''re not the Biggest in East Anglia.[/quote]

No, can''t agree, it simply means that Burnley is currently more successful than Leeds not that Burnley is bigger.

[/quote]

You are opening up a can of worms here. What measures a club''s "bigness"?

Previous form or current form? Previous league position or current?

What actually matters is how much folding green they can put in a footballers back pocket NOW.
[/quote] Exactly. For example when we were in the Premier League we were linked with a number of West Ham players at the time a Championship team. In the end we moved for Ashton and not Harewood but Harewood would of moved to the Premier at a heart beat had we moved for him. Then the following season we lose star players to them. All that matters now is who is higher up the ladder at any given time if Burnley moved for any Leeds players this window they would go without a second''s thought.

Middlesboro have only won 1 trophy in their entire history, even we can better that. Lower attendances, grim Northern town and mouthy fans...who the hell in their right minds would choose that god awful place over this. If they hadn''t got lucky with Gibson they would have been in the conference where they belong by now.

If we keep him we will be playing in the same league as Middlesbrough next season. sell him and they will be in the league above us. He knows this and if we don''t get promoted this season he can jump ship then. Now we will see the ambition of the board.

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Let''s be honest, I doubt Middlesbrough are going anywhere this season, so it''s possible we will be playing against them next season anyway. Let''s hope the board stay strong and that Hoolahan isn''t want away.[/quote]This is my opinion, plus he gets to pay in front of sell out crowds here and also he wouldnt have to live in the dump that is middlesbrough![/quote]he can live with me in harrogate, as long as he doesn''t mind me taking the wrong turning onto the A1 every pre match drive up on a saturday!

With Boro just signing Flood, Hoolahan will stay, to be honest I thought he would stay anyway. Remeber Flood having a blinder when we played Man City in the prem last? Wasn''t it 1-1 with flood scoring?

The board have got to stand strong - Hoolahan is worth more to us staying than going cause selling him would seriously hamper the promotion bid!

From his point of view the extra money would be good but he''d be leaving a very good situation (promotion looking very possible, big crowds, great team play and star billing) here for a club thats in freefall with low crowds full of discontented fans, a team not playing as one and probably no chance of going up.

Its not unlikely that we''ll be better of than then next season anyway!

As I have not read the entire thread I apologize if I repeat anyone previous comments:

Middlesbrough have said that hoolahan will only be brought in Johnson leaves, and due to his fitness, that won''t be in January.

Also lambert has assured the fans that despite the debt, they don''t need to begin selling players.

I think Wes will leave for around 750k - 1 million. If I was Lambert I''d say to him wait until we get promoted, then you can leave. If we don''t get promoted, you can obviously still leave.

Wes doesn''t strike me as the loyal type. He will leave. I just think it wouldn''t be out of the way for us to ask Wes to stay for a few more months.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I think Wes will leave for around 750k - 1 million.[/quote][:|] Considering how much promotion is worth for us, and the fact he has 14 goals and probably a dozen assists in very nearly half a season, I cannot see us letting him go for anywhere near that. Whatever Beckford goes for, double it, and you''ve probably got nearer Hoolahan''s worth to the team.Honestly, if he goes for less than 3 million I''m sending my season ticket back!

[quote user="JF"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="bjg123"]But this thread is talking about a player leaving for another club, and someone pointed out we''re bigger than Boro so why would he leave? Unless players careers span 30 years where the clubs will be in 25 years is neither here nor there. Historically Leeds are bigger than Burnley, at the mo they''re not, just like we''re not the Biggest in East Anglia.[/quote]

No, can''t agree, it simply means that Burnley is currently more successful than Leeds not that Burnley is bigger.

[/quote]

You are opening up a can of worms here. What measures a club''s "bigness"?

Previous form or current form? Previous league position or current?

What actually matters is how much folding green they can put in a footballers back pocket NOW.
[/quote] Exactly. For example when we were in the Premier League we were linked with a number of West Ham players at the time a Championship team. In the end we moved for Ashton and not Harewood but Harewood would of moved to the Premier at a heart beat had we moved for him. Then the following season we lose star players to them. All that matters now is who is higher up the ladder at any given time if Burnley moved for any Leeds players this window they would go without a second''s thought.[/quote]

Exactly what JF ?

I think you are right, this debate came up with ashton and earnie there value for us when you are trying to get promoted or not get relegated is inflated

hoolahan I don''t think will move to boro... but it will be because boro will look at more proven players... for me hoolahan didn''t prove himself last year, whereas mcshaffrey who now they are talking about as a possible replacement or cover for johnson is

hoolahan as I and many have said is very talented but I do believe he limits the way we play... we cannot play a 4-4-2 and have him be te impact player he has been

I believe a realistic price is 1-1.5 million and it would not be from a top 8 championship squad he would not do enough to guarantee a playoff place or be able to make an impact in the premiership

so with his abilities at top being mid table championship he is unlikely to move as other clubs will look elsewhere... but if he is offered a deal to me this is his last chance of a big pay check... he will not move on following his next new contract wherever that is with a better deal

so either stay here and push for a promotion or move on for your last big pay check... but it would be worth him speaking to crofty, who will now be sold to a league 1 team as derby have found his level... clingan has also had his last big pay check with coventry with david bell and probably david marshall

no-one has moved on who I believe will improve and then move onto a bigger club shows the quality we have brought into the club

Yep

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED12%20Jan%202010%2010%3A16%3A50%3A667

Hoolahan not in line for Boro transfer

Last updated: 12/01/2010 10:16:00

Norwich City talisman Wes Hoolahan is not in line for a Middlesbrough switch - with the Teesiders tracking Birmingham outcast Gary McSheffrey if wideman Adam Johnson leaves in the transfer window. City''s creative spark was linked with Gordon Strachan''s Championship outfit over the weekend as a potential replacement for the highly-rated Johnson.