Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stick

Hoolahan

Barry Robson (Celtic midfielder) similar player to Hoolahan i think, left footed but can play all over the midfield, is having a medical at Boro. Surely this means they aren''t going to get Wes too?

I would have thought that if Wes wanted out he''d have gone in August, particularly if the stories about his agent agitating for a move are to be believed.Since then he has had huge adulation from the fans and has had the system built around him, in addition to which he has so far failed to really cut it in the Championship.

He may well go in the summer if he continues to enjoy his current level of performance, but it''s difficult to see why he would wish to jump such a successful ship at present, particularly to go to a Championship also ran.

Thanks to Eagle and CUSDP for these insider insights. For those of us who live away from the Fine City they are truly valued.

Personally, I can''t see Wes leaving. The special relationship and understanding between himself, Holt and Martin is something that only rarely comes along and I can''t see him giving that up for Boro.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

Thanks to Eagle and CUSDP for these insider insights. For those of us who live away from the Fine City they are truly valued.

Personally, I can''t see Wes leaving. The special relationship and understanding between himself, Holt and Martin is something that only rarely comes along and I can''t see him giving that up for Boro.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t claim to be an "insider". Its rare that I hear anything before the press do but I do speak to some of the players sometimes and play Modern Warfare with them, haha.

[quote user="canaries1985"]

got any gamer tags u could share? :)

[/quote]

I don''t think they would appreciate that, sorry!

[quote user="canaries1985"]

got any gamer tags u could share? :)

[/quote]are u on ps3 or xbox???

im on ps3 heres mine (NCFC)suzuki-1000pilot

feel free to add me [Y]  COD MWF2

Hoolahan is replaceable. if Holt was to move on i feel it would be a disaster but we can and will replace Wes. McNamee could be taylor made for it.

I''d be sad to see him go but we wouldnt derail the promotion bid as a result.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Hoolahan is replaceable. if Holt was to move on i feel it would be a disaster but we can and will replace Wes. McNamee could be taylor made for it.

I''d be sad to see him go but we wouldnt derail the promotion bid as a result.

[/quote]

Well any player is replaceable. Just depends on whether that replacement is equal or an improvement.

Wes is the best player in the league and is abolsutely crucial to the way we play. N

To lose either him or Holt would be a huge blow to our chances of promotion.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Sorry, the offer of playing for a bigger club, possibly in the Prem, and more money is quite obviously a better thing than we can offer him right now.I don''t want him to go either though.[/quote]

Middlesbrough are not a bigger club than us and they will not be going up this season. They can, however, presumably offer him more money!

[/quote]Of course Middlesboro are a bigger club than us right now lol. Even by number of years spent in the Prem they are bigger.[/quote]Lol are you kidding? you can''t even compare Boro to City, they are a much smaller club than us, with a smaller fan base. Boro are one of the clubs I can''t stand, some of the worst fans in the country there, no wonder they struggle to win at the Riverside!

I''d hate to lose either Hoolahan or Holt, but for me, Hoolahan is harder to replace, and would derail our season more, 2 reasons for this:

1. Change of formation required - we wouldn''t be able to find someone who''d play the same position as Hoolahan, at least not as well, so we''d have to change our shape completely, something which would mean all our midfield would have to get used to new roles midway through the season.

2. Holt''s very good, but by no means unique, it''s the reason he''s not worth as much as Beckford either, even though he''s as effective. Pacey strikers who have good movement are harder to find than strong targetmen, so more clubs are looking for one, similarly, trequaristas are next to impossible to find in this country, and pacey wingers with technical ability cost a lot more than strikers who can score 25 goals in this league. If Holt left we''d have players like Barnard we could buy, and have money to spare to buy another striker proven at this level.

All down to what Hoolahan wants in my view. Middlesborough are not a bigger club than us and will probably be in the same division next season. As for a transfer fee we are deluded to think we will get more than £1m

Boro are much bigger than us other than in support. They''ve been in the Premiership for the majority of its seasons, they have a chairman happy to invest large sums of money into the club and are able to offer wages and fees we can only dream of. Any player would choose them over us.

[quote user="bjg123"]Boro are much bigger than us other than in support. They''ve been in the Premiership for the majority of its seasons, they have a chairman happy to invest large sums of money into the club and are able to offer wages and fees we can only dream of. Any player would choose them over us.[/quote]Sorry - completely disagree. Just because they''ve been playing in the Premiership doesn''t make them bigger than us. Are Burnley a bigger club than Leeds? Of course not. And I doubt the chairman has a bottomless pit of money to throw at the club if they don''t get promoted straight away.

They have a much better chance of being in the prem than us in, say, three years time, that''s undeniable, better squad, more money, in the league above and can go up this year. Burnley are probably less likely than boro to be in the prem in 3 years.

I doubt it, they''re not exactly struggling against relegation at the moment. Please bear in mind we ALREADY HAVE done a Charlton/Southampton...

So the fact that there''s a small chance they''ll be in league 1 at some point in the future contributes to making them a smaller club than a side already in league 1? Stop talking bollocks, even if we go up we''re more likely to go down than they are.

You can''t use the fact they might get relegated as an argument though, it''s nonsensical, everything other than attendance makes them bigger, finance, league position recent history, record transfer fee, current squad etc... From the perspective of a player, they''re a bigger club. If Boro came in for one of our targets he''d choose them over us, guaranteed.

I watched Boro on TV the other day against Cardiff - there were 15,000 there and the atmosphere was non-existent. The only reason any player would chose them over us would be if higher wages were on offer - and there''s no guarantee that Boro will be able to offer that if they don''t go up in the next year or two.

[quote user="bjg123"] If Boro came in for one of our targets he''d choose them over us, guaranteed.[/quote] Now who''s talking ****?The chance of first team football, the actual area itself- just a couple of factors which may affect a potential target''s decision.

[quote user="bjg123"]You can''t use the fact they might get relegated as an argument though, it''s nonsensical, everything other than attendance makes them bigger, finance, league position recent history, record transfer fee, current squad etc... From the perspective of a player, they''re a bigger club. If Boro came in for one of our targets he''d choose them over us, guaranteed.[/quote]

Similar population to Norwich but without the county fan base. Sunderland and Newcastle near by too. I must admit that I have always thought Middlesborough to be a "bigger" club than Norwich but I''m not so sure now. One thing is for certain though and that is that they have been more successful than us over the years and their current 2nd division status is a low point in their history. Strange decision of Strachan''s to go to ''boro. Bad choice IMO.

If only Norwich had built a stadium with a 32,000 capacity. I always think that clubs whose attendances break through the 30K barrier are clubs of genuine stature.

If I may make one more point.....although I will never accept Boro are a bigger club than City I will concede that they have more short term potential simply because they still have parachute payments from the Premiership and a few quality players from those days. But if they are still in the Championship in two years time then they will be just the same as City, Derby, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Charlton and so on - another medium sized club with potential but no more than that. Same as City are now.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]All down to what Hoolahan wants in my view. Middlesborough are not a bigger club than us and will probably be in the same division next season. As for a transfer fee we are deluded to think we will get more than £1m[/quote]

There is no way that Hoolahan would leave for £1m. The manager would simply not let it happen.