Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

If we sell Holt in January.

[quote user="king canary"]I really dont see many offers coming in for him though. CLubs wernt willing to take a punt on Lee Barnard at £250k and he is younger than Holt. Clubs look to buy players from these divisions who are a bit younger and have potential to improve, rather than players who are in the later stages of their careers. Nobody in the championship even looked at Rickie Lambert and I think it may be the same with Holt.[/quote] That about sums it up , there wont be many Championship clubs interested in Holt , he has always scored goals at this level , but this is his level and the last time he was transfered from League 1 it was a downward move to League 2 .

[quote user="First Wizard"]

You can then kiss goodbye to promotion, and probably Paul Lambert too.

I''d be tempted to wheel away also!

[/quote]Chill, Wiz, I don''t think we''ll sell him in January.  His level is probably Championship level and I reckon he''d like to play there in a Norwich City shirt next season.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Chill, Wiz, I don''t think we''ll sell him in January.  His level is probably Championship level and I reckon he''d like to play there in a Norwich City shirt next season.

[/quote]

But we both know City have history here Mr C, and there''s the Holt sitting at our table issue we talked about, I love the guy, a new hero for me when Jamie goes.

I''d be gutted if we lost both in January.

[/quote]

Quite possibly all of the above!

Holts worth more to us playing for the club cause the difference between going up and not would be quite a reasonable sum!

Wiz, try and have some faith, I know it''s difficult, with the club''s past history of making some truly dubious business decisions, but we now have a few new people, if not exactly in charge, at least seemingly making decisions to the benefit of the club.

We are in debt, yes, and that hasn''t changed for a long time. But in the current climate, our best chance of making a serious dent in the debt and moving the club forward it to gain promotion. We have of course not always looked to doing this in the past, and flung good money after bad in investing in the wrong area. Now we have to invest in promotion and to do that means keeping the players who can achieve promotion for us. That includes Holt and Hoolahan. I can''t see Lambert being happy about selling anyone who features in his plans. I can see him pressing to strengthen the squad, not weaken it.

IF, and I mean if we do sell, for whatever money, I like you would question the ambition and rationale of NCFC. But this time I really can''t see it happening. Would a sum of £6 million say benefit us in replacing Hoolahan or Holt (where would we get the same or better players)? It may pay off some debt, but simply we can barely survive as a club in this league and have to get back to the Championship. Players do that.

Also, selling our better players would have a negative effect on season ticket sales for next season, is the club willing to risk this? We cannot continue to have cause for division between fans and the board. The number one aim is promotion and everyone connected with NCFC should be working towards that.

[quote user="pennywise "]

why do you keep rehashing the same subject wiz ?  we won`t sell him in january [:)]

[/quote]

Its not just me though, is it?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I know we are a selling club, but I don''t remember ever signing a player in July and then selling him in the same season during January.[/quote]David Bell.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I know we are a selling club, but I don''t remember ever signing a player in July and then selling him in the same season during January.

[/quote]
David Bell.
[/quote]

David Bell requested to go as it was causing him family problems if I recall correctly.

Holt is not for sale. Just because things are going well people make up stuff just so they can moan!

As for Cureton goodbye can''t come soon enough.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]

Holt''s going no-where as simple as that. He hasn''t been here that long, he''s a fans favourite and the captain, at 28 he probably would like to settle down at a club and his age also means less people would be interested.

[/quote][Y] [Y] [Y]And it took over a page of comments for someone to point that one.

I''m sure we''d all be annoyed, but I doubt any of us would actually be able to turn our backs on the club. I know for sure I wouldn''t be able toThe trouble is Simon, I''ve put up with us selling Davies, Reeves, Curran, Bruce, Pheelan, Fleck, Sutton, Eadie, Fox, Bellamy, Green and Ashton, my patience isn''t unlimited.

Well judging by the players you speak of, you have been putting up with it for some time now. I wish I had your stamina, my wife would be pleased.

[quote user="Things are looking up "]

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I know we are a selling club, but I don''t remember ever signing a player in July and then selling him in the same season during January.[/quote]David Bell.[/quote]

David Bell requested to go as it was causing him family problems if I recall correctly.

Holt is not for sale. Just because things are going well people make up stuff just so they can moan!

As for Cureton goodbye can''t come soon enough.

[/quote]Doesnt stop it being true though [:)]

I doubt we would sell Grant Holt, consider his poor record in the Championship before, no League One club would like to sign him

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Wiz, try and have some faith, I know it''s difficult, with the club''s past history of making some truly dubious business decisions, but we now have a few new people, if not exactly in charge, at least seemingly making decisions to the benefit of the club. We are in debt, yes, and that hasn''t changed for a long time. But in the current climate, our best chance of making a serious dent in the debt and moving the club forward it to gain promotion. We have of course not always looked to doing this in the past, and flung good money after bad in investing in the wrong area. Now we have to invest in promotion and to do that means keeping the players who can achieve promotion for us. That includes Holt and Hoolahan. I can''t see Lambert being happy about selling anyone who features in his plans. I can see him pressing to strengthen the squad, not weaken it. IF, and I mean if we do sell, for whatever money, I like you would question the ambition and rationale of NCFC. But this time I really can''t see it happening. Would a sum of £6 million say benefit us in replacing Hoolahan or Holt (where would we get the same or better players)? It may pay off some debt, but simply we can barely survive as a club in this league and have to get back to the Championship. Players do that. Also, selling our better players would have a negative effect on season ticket sales for next season, is the club willing to risk this? We cannot continue to have cause for division between fans and the board. The number one aim is promotion and everyone connected with NCFC should be working towards that.[/quote]

The last paragraph about next year''s season tickets makes the most salient point.  The ones about Holt loving it here also count for a lot. Last game there was a thread about Holt acknowledging the fans with a big smile when his song was being chanted.  He loves it here, and will not want to leave in January.  If we don''t get promoted, then it''s a whole new ball game, but that could be said about several players, couldn''t it.

As for age, Holt may be the rare bird who reaches his top form later than most, so for higher level teams to summarily discount him would be stupid. What kind of a goal scorer was he before he got to Norwich?  Did he have 19 in early December?  I have no idea, but I would be surprised if he did.  The format we play obviously fits him, so why transfer to another team who may not play "his" game?

I thought that losing Holt would be really serious, that it might cost us promotion. But I had no idea that it might mean Wiz might turn his back on the Canaries. I just hope Delia''s reading this message board. Come on Deels - do the right thing.On a serious note, I think it''s far more likely that we''ll lose Hoolahan. But I''m interested in all the comments that suggest it''s down to the club. In these days of player power and agents, it''s down to the players. If Wes or Holt really want to go, there''s not really that much the club can do to stop them.

Its not the best comparison, but I am thinking of Carlton Cole...

Not so long ago, he was the butt of the footballing worlds jokes when it came to his skills as a footballer, laughs a''plenty at poor old Carlton''s expense & he couldn''t do a thing right...

...now, older, wiser and having arrived at "his time", he has played for England and, supposedly, has three of the "big four" chasing his signature come January.

Holt was a player in demand when he first came on the scene, but, because he didn''t seem to hack it at Forest, seemed to be written off...but he proved he could score goals again at Shrewsbury, and has exceeded that with us.

Maybe, like Hucks, perhaps like Wes even-he has found "his club"? Lets hope so.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I thought that losing Holt would be really serious, that it might cost us promotion. But I had no idea that it might mean Wiz might turn his back on the Canaries. I just hope Delia''s reading this message board. Come on Deels - do the right thing.

On a serious note, I think it''s far more likely that we''ll lose Hoolahan. But I''m interested in all the comments that suggest it''s down to the club. In these days of player power and agents, it''s down to the players. If Wes or Holt really want to go, there''s not really that much the club can do to stop them.
[/quote]

She has to keep me sweet Robert, or I blab to the press about that night at Lowestoft![;)]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I thought that losing Holt would be really serious, that it might cost us promotion. But I had no idea that it might mean Wiz might turn his back on the Canaries. I just hope Delia''s reading this message board. Come on Deels - do the right thing.

On a serious note, I think it''s far more likely that we''ll lose Hoolahan. But I''m interested in all the comments that suggest it''s down to the club. In these days of player power and agents, it''s down to the players. If Wes or Holt really want to go, there''s not really that much the club can do to stop them.
[/quote]

She has to keep me sweet Robert, or I blab to the press about that night at Lowestoft![;)]

[/quote]

Did she wheel you off the pier?

I dont think Holt will go, Not in January anyway. He''s scored 19 this season, and looks to have us going good for a automatic promotion spot, play off''s at worst. He seems to be enjoying it too. However, if we do go up, will someone be after him in the summer? Does anyone know what contract he''s on?

[quote user="Wookie"]I dont think Holt will go, Not in January anyway. He''s scored 19 this season, and looks to have us going good for a automatic promotion spot, play off''s at worst. He seems to be enjoying it too. However, if we do go up, will someone be after him in the summer? Does anyone know what contract he''s on?[/quote]Who Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Hull. He isn''t a premiership play and never will be. If we get promoted this season he will be an integral part of the push over the next couple of season to build a team capable of challenging in the Championship. If we ever make it back to Premiership Holt would not be playing for us.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did she wheel you off the pier?

[/quote]

I never kiss and tell on a lady YC.[;)]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="Wookie"]I dont think Holt will go, Not in January anyway. He''s scored 19 this season, and looks to have us going good for a automatic promotion spot, play off''s at worst. He seems to be enjoying it too. However, if we do go up, will someone be after him in the summer? Does anyone know what contract he''s on?[/quote]Who Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Hull. He isn''t a premiership play and never will be. If we get promoted this season he will be an integral part of the push over the next couple of season to build a team capable of challenging in the Championship. If we ever make it back to Premiership Holt would not be playing for us.[/quote]Very good point. So I think No, Holt will not go anywhere, assuming we do go up, or nowhere above us anyway. So this means Holt is at his prime time in his Career? [:)]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I thought that losing Holt would be really serious, that it might cost us promotion. But I had no idea that it might mean Wiz might turn his back on the Canaries. I just hope Delia''s reading this message board. Come on Deels - do the right thing.On a serious note, I think it''s far more likely that we''ll lose Hoolahan. But I''m interested in all the comments that suggest it''s down to the club. In these days of player power and agents, it''s down to the players. If Wes or Holt really want to go, there''s not really that much the club can do to stop them. [/quote]

[/quote]Oh, I get you!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQO9LNELIKQOh what a night - Late December back in ''63Was a very special time for meWhat a lady, what a night  [{] [}]...  [B] [B] [B] [B] [B] [B] [B] [B]...  [S]... [Z]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Wiz, try and have some faith, I know it''s difficult, with the club''s past history of making some truly dubious business decisions, but we now have a few new people, if not exactly in charge, at least seemingly making decisions to the benefit of the club. We are in debt, yes, and that hasn''t changed for a long time. But in the current climate, our best chance of making a serious dent in the debt and moving the club forward it to gain promotion. We have of course not always looked to doing this in the past, and flung good money after bad in investing in the wrong area. Now we have to invest in promotion and to do that means keeping the players who can achieve promotion for us. That includes Holt and Hoolahan. I can''t see Lambert being happy about selling anyone who features in his plans. I can see him pressing to strengthen the squad, not weaken it. IF, and I mean if we do sell, for whatever money, I like you would question the ambition and rationale of NCFC. But this time I really can''t see it happening. Would a sum of £6 million say benefit us in replacing Hoolahan or Holt (where would we get the same or better players)? It may pay off some debt, but simply we can barely survive as a club in this league and have to get back to the Championship. Players do that. Also, selling our better players would have a negative effect on season ticket sales for next season, is the club willing to risk this? We cannot continue to have cause for division between fans and the board. The number one aim is promotion and everyone connected with NCFC should be working towards that.[/quote]

Will this board hold on to the new fans hero or will they follow those glorious benchmarking boards from the past and cash in. I''d like to think Holt will stay here, I hope he does, but I''m not going to bank on it.

My first ever goal scoring hero was Hughie Curran. Now we know Holt has been prolific but Curran was even more so. In 68/69 he''d reached 20 goals before the end of October. Including a hat-trick at portman road. Despite being assured that "we won''t sell him at any price" half way through January he was gone to Wolves for 60,000! And I was broken hearted!!

My only hope is that, despite the claims to the contrary, Delia''s little Norwich have at times pulled out the stops to keep players at the club. Iwan readily springs to mind. So I hope we do the same with Holt.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Will this board hold on to the new fans hero or will they follow those glorious benchmarking boards from the past and cash in. I''d like to think Holt will stay here, I hope he does, but I''m not going to bank on it.

My first ever goal scoring hero was Hughie Curran. Now we know Holt has been prolific but Curran was even more so. In 68/69 he''d reached 20 goals before the end of October. Including a hat-trick at portman road. Despite being assured that "we won''t sell him at any price" half way through January he was gone to Wolves for 60,000! And I was broken hearted!!

My only hope is that, despite the claims to the contrary, Delia''s little Norwich have at times pulled out the stops to keep players at the club. Iwan readily springs to mind. So I hope we do the same with Holt.

[/quote]

Didn''t the club also reject a big bid from Fulham last January for Clingan who was arguably our best player.

Ultimately the choice to leave is surely made by the player, those listed by First Wizard if I recall all wanted to make their moves for their benefit. As we''ve already experienced, some players have clauses in their contracts but regardless it is always a hard decision to keep a player against their wish.

All these different threads about basically the same subject are probably born of  fear of the realities of football.

I am about 90% certain Hoolahan will want to stay and even a little more confident that Holt will want to do the same. I have very little doubt that any of our 1st team regulars will want to leave, or that the manager will want them to leave. I also think that one way or another we will see a couple of newcomers being added to strengthen the squad.