Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

How would you describe our side?

Key players:

Holt - This guy is a beast. You will probably find that he will not once have a bad game this season. Even if he doesn''t have a sniff on goal, he will be running and hassling your defenders all day long. To add to that he is a brilliant finisher and his strength is immense. Stop him, and you can give your lads a massive pat on the back!

Hoolahan -On his day, Wes is the best player in the division. He wasn''t great last season, but that is because he was playing left wing. This season he is really starting to show his worth, in his real position. In the hole. Now don''t get me wrong, this guy is very lightweight and probably the most one footed player I have ever seen play. If you take advantage of this and stop him being creative then you have all but stopped Norwich.

In my opinion, those two are our main assets. Though that being said, we have lots of other threats, who on there day can be a real handful; Martin, Smith, McDonald & Russell.

Weakest player:

Doherty- This guy has been with us for both recent relegations, and many fans have rathe infairely laid him with the blame. Sometimes he will be decent, others he is atrocias...all the time he is a liability. One game will not go by without him conceding a Free Kick due to bear hugging. I am really worried that with Beckford and partner you are going to tear us apart at the back.

Other than the Doc as he is known, I can''t really think of any particular weak links in our starting 11.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

How would you describe our team, to opposing fans?

How would I describe our team to opposing fans?

I''d say "be afraid, be very afraid . . . I wouldn''t bother turning up if I were you" [:D]

Joking aside, we now have a team that other clubs fear, and rightly so.  The fear factor is worth at least a point before the game even starts. 

When was the last time that happened? 

Cherub, certainly before my time. Even in the promotion season it didn''t quite feel real. Now it does, and hopefully as you say that strikes fear in opposition.

[quote user="Norwich"]Key players: Holt - This guy is a beast. You will probably find that he will not once have a bad game this season. Even if he doesn''t have a sniff on goal, he will be running and hassling your defenders all day long. To add to that he is a brilliant finisher and his strength is immense. Stop him, and you can give your lads a massive pat on the back! Hoolahan -On his day, Wes is the best player in the division. He wasn''t great last season, but that is because he was playing left wing. This season he is really starting to show his worth, in his real position. In the hole. Now don''t get me wrong, this guy is very lightweight and probably the most one footed player I have ever seen play. If you take advantage of this and stop him being creative then you have all but stopped Norwich. In my opinion, those two are our main assets. Though that being said, we have lots of other threats, who on there day can be a real handful; Martin, Smith, McDonald & Russell. Weakest player: Doherty- This guy has been with us for both recent relegations, and many fans have rathe infairely laid him with the blame. Sometimes he will be decent, others he is atrocias...all the time he is a liability. One game will not go by without him conceding a Free Kick due to bear hugging. I am really worried that with Beckford and partner you are going to tear us apart at the back. Other than the Doc as he is known, I can''t really think of any particular weak links in our starting 11. ------------------------------------------------------------------- How would you describe our team, to opposing fans?[/quote]

This is starting to get a bit predictable.  Try Dr Dron''s remedy:

1) Watch matches with eyes open

2) Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of all players (not just the usual golden boys and scapegoats)

3) Engage brain

4) Start spouting forth

[quote user="Norwich"]Cherub, certainly before my time. Even in the promotion season it didn''t quite feel real. Now it does, and hopefully as you say that strikes fear in opposition.[/quote]

Thinking back, even in 1992/3 we were admired but not feared.  Before that . . . during the 70s and 80s we earned respect, but fear?  Not really.  The Ron Saunders promotion side of 1971/2 is the only previous example I can think of.  Not a team of stars but hard as f*ck and fit as butchers dogs, with a little bit of flair from the likes of Graham Paddon (who was left footed like Hoolahan).

Writing this is starting to give me cold shivers.  I haven''t thought about it before, but we could be witnessing something very rare indeed.  Still a bit too early to be sure of course, proof of the pudding and all that.

Let''s hope the powers that be at CR feel the same way, and move heaven and earth to come up with the necessary funds to take us a step further.

"One or two good players short of a very good side for this division" I am thinking of the need for a good CD and a quick right winger.We seem to be acquiring a steely backbone, and fighting to the end. We seem to be getting self-belief.We have enough good players to mount a challenge for promotion, but we would be even better if PL manages to sign one or two in the January window. We just need to avoid too many serious injuries.The only problem is that as you climb higher other teams will put out all the stops and have a go at beating you. That''s the risk. We have to learn to find a way through against the teams like Carlisle and Walsall.

We''re playing well as a team at the moment, we''re scoring a lot of goals and defensively we look pretty decent as well.

We''ve got a strong spine with some good experience. If you look through the middle you''ve got Doherty, Russell, Hoolahan and Holt who have all been around a bit and have all proven they can do the business.

But on top of that you''ve got the newcomers like Askou and Korey who compete and work hard for the cause.

If you did want to find any weak links you''d have to say at this particular moment the right back area is looking a bit iffy and out of the regular starters Simon Lappin is the probably the one who you''d say doesn''t always (and can''t) bring quite so much to the party. But even then he''s a decent player who tries to play the right way.

[quote user="Norwich"]Dronny Canary - Am I not allowed my own opinion. Christ almighty.[/quote]

Christ Almighty, Norwich - Am I not allowed to challenge your opinion?  Do you really stand by your "opinion" that Doherty is "always a liability"?  If so then don''t expect your opinions to be taken seriously by me.

[quote user="Brendan"]to be honest, i think Nelson is worse than Doc of what i have seen![/quote]

nelson has been unlucky, leaves HARLEPOOL and then butterworth leaves !!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Brendan"]to be honest, i think Nelson is worse than Doc of what i have seen![/quote]

nelson has been unlucky, leaves HARLEPOOL and then butterworth leaves !!

[/quote]

Nelson seems a genuine bloke who tries his best - just seems a bit one dimensional.  I''m not sure that we should really be talking about who''s our worst player, given how we are playing at the moment.  We have some who have got the headlines for one reason or another but, certainly in the last few weeks, everyone who''s played has looked like they are giving their best for the club and that''s good enough for me.  The big difference this season has been the return of teamwork and team spirit and if you''ve got those two things you can achieve things whoever pulls on the shirt - even against the "mighty" Leeds.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

How would I describe our team to opposing fans?

I''d say "be afraid, be very afraid . . . I wouldn''t bother turning up if I were you" [:D]

Joking aside, we now have a team that other clubs fear, and rightly so.  The fear factor is worth at least a point before the game even starts. 

When was the last time that happened? 

[/quote]Probably the 1985/86 promotion team, once it had got into its stride. We were a class above anything else in the division, and finished seven points clear. I saw a few away games in the second half of that season (winning 5-2 at Sheffield United, for example, when they were challenging for promotion) and we undoubtedly had an aura about us. Apart from anything else, with Woods, Watson and Bruce in defence, the opposition knew they were in trouble if we went ahead.

I think our side is looking very strong.  Good keeper - Rudd.  Solid defence - Spillane, Askou, Drury, but not Doc.  Strong and creative midfield - Russel, Smith, Lappin, Hoolahan.  Goalscoring strikers - Holt, Martin.

We have self belief, all players look like they want to play for Norwich and always give 100%, but at the same time look like they are enjoying themself which is important.  We have a manager that looks like he knows what he is doing and knows what players work well together and knows the right formation.  We have good coaching staff in Culverhouse and Crook.  And we have the best fans in the league!!!!

One thing we do need though like someone else said is another, quality CB and pacey right winger.

The thing that impresses me the most is the spine of the team.          Solid goalkeeper = Rudd (when Forster goes back)                       Askou                         Doherty                                       Rusty                                                              Hoola                      Holt                              Martin

Wing backs pushing forward (Drury and Spillane/Otsemobor) supporting the midfield and we are a great side.Dont forget Lappin and Smith as well [Y]Thanks to Captain Holt for the making of this post [;)]

Dronny - I am afraid to say, yes. He is always a liability as I have said a game will not pass without Doc using his legendary bear hug, so for that reason you cannot help but be nervous when a long ball goes over the top. I am sorry, but no-one can dispute that, surely?

Describe our side:  Fit, organised and improving TEAM, confidence is returning. 

The steely backbone, interpreted by late goals, that begins with fitness.  Professional footballers will all have drive and determination, the difference is the fitness and quality to make that count.  Lambert''s first task was to raise fitness levels, it''s basic and its paying dividends.  And when teams pull out all the stops, it will still pay dividends, because compared to most in this league, we have the quality.

Man U, Chelsea & Arsenal all want 2 more players, that''s football.  We are zero players short of a good side for this division (so long as we continue in our current performance level), maybe 1 or 2 players short of a good side in the championship.  Doesn''t mean we stop where we are and let others catch up, so a couple of quality additions in January would be welcome. 

Under previous managers INDIVIDUALS have been handed the blame for defeats, mistakes at the back and missed chances .....  Players weren''t bothered about losing so long as they didn''t get the blame.  You look at 1 of the goals from the Colchester game, I think we had 7 or 8 players in the box against maybe 2 or 3 of theirs, bodies in place but no one taking RESPONSIBILITY typical of the last 3years or so.  We now have a TEAM.

4 Years of decline will take more than 2 months to turn around, but if we continue as we are, I can see a brighter future.  But right now, it''s just nice to feel the pride in the team, as well as the club.

[quote user="Norwich"]Dronny Canary - Am I not allowed my own opinion. Christ almighty.[/quote]

Yes you are and your opinion is spot on. When PL signs his new CB, Docherty will be the one on his way, not Nelson or Askou.

As for the topic, I think we are starting to look hard to beat which is the first requirement for a play-off chasing team. We are still a way away from automatic promotion in my opinion but if we acquire well in January we might have a shout. What is particularly pleasing is the performances of the youngsters which have been absolutely astounding. I think Smith and Adeyemi will be stars (unfortunately, probably not for us) and Martin is becoming a cracking player. Credit too to Russell for keeping his head down and grafting for the team and doing a dirty job.

Looking good, but not getting carried away.  If we keep improving, who knows? I think Leeds will beat us, but they will have to play well to do it.

[quote user="Norwich"]Dronny - I am afraid to say, yes. He is always a liability as I have said a game will not pass without Doc using his legendary bear hug, so for that reason you cannot help but be nervous when a long ball goes over the top. I am sorry, but no-one can dispute that, surely?[/quote]

Well I''d dispute it Norwich. And so do the stats unless he has bribed the refs too.[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Norwich"]Dronny - I am afraid to say, yes. He is always a liability as I have said a game will not pass without Doc using his legendary bear hug, so for that reason you cannot help but be nervous when a long ball goes over the top. I am sorry, but no-one can dispute that, surely?[/quote]

Well I''d dispute it Norwich. And so do the stats unless he has bribed the refs too.[;)]

[/quote]

I agree with you NN. Wasn''t Doherty one of the best players in our annihalation of Orient 4 - 0 and the Pirates 5 - 1? Didn''t everyone agree that? Weren''t people asking where are the Doc bashers now? So why are you (Norwich) now saying he is such a liability (based on his errors) despite his recent form? You could go through the whole team in fact and everyone makes mistakes. We missed chances to score more goals and see off the game yesterday, those could have been more of a liability than Doc''s bear hug that conceded a free kick that missed.

What I find strange is that people who keep saying Doc is a liability and all that are the same people who think Askou is so good. Now I like Askou, I think he''s done well for us on the whole, but really he''s just an inferior version of Doherty. So I don''t get it really. I guess at times like this, when things are going well, is when you find out who just dislikes a player and won''t ever admit when they''ve done well.

So to what extent has he been a liability over the past few games?  Having faults doesn''t make him a liability.  The fact that Smith hasn''t got his shooting boots on at the moment doesn''t make him a liability.  The fact that Hoolahoop still goes off wandering when a more direct approach sometimes is really needed doesn''t make him a liability either.  Both of these players have contributed massively over the past few games as has Doc but it''s easy to overlook their faults and concentrate on those of the resident whipping boy.  Askou has already given a penalty away for pulling a shirt in the box and has is also capable of his fair share of holding and grabbing.  That doesn''t make him a bad player or a liability either.  Put all of your prejudice to one side and watch what is actually going on instead of putting Doc under the microscope.  If you do you will find plenty else to moan about if that is your cup of tea.  I just think it''s about time to cut the bloke a bit of slack and let him get on with it, at least while he''s actually playing OK!