Sign in to follow this  
StevoM

Why Do So Many Want Clinghan To Stay?

Sammy is a good footballer.  A strong defensive midfielder that is good at cleaning up at the back.  He is also one of Norwich''s most over rated players from last season.The paper''s hyped this guy up to be our messiah and whilst he did his job well defensively, mopping up and playing the ball forwards (normally by himself) instead of the vintage hoof, his outball consisted of playing to to either the person next to him or playing it backwards.  He offered nothing in attack and gave almost no link up play to the front men.  He was supposed to have an amazing strike on him but all I saw of that we two identical free kicks.In all honesty I wouldn''t be surprised if he goes for less that 700K, I really don''t know what most City fans see in him, he can go for all I care, Forest fans knew what they were talking about when they said they were not bothered he left last year.

Because he was/is our most consistent footballer......and should have been NCFC player of the season.

He could have chipped in with a few more goals, but I felt more than happy with his contribution.

We need him in our midfield....but I do think he''s on his way.

I don''t begrudge the guy moving on....(or any player for that matter). It''s the same in any employment. You want what''s best for you and your family.

He can''t be seen to be deserting a ship - that had already sunk.

I agree that he probably will go for £700k.

But think about it, he is the Northern Ireland captain, Fulham were willing to pay £3m for him in January and I don''t think many NCFC fans want him to stay, they probably think the same as me. Which is do we try and keep him for one more season and risk losing him on a free next summer, or do we cash him in now for £700k or so, and recruit 2-3 other good players to add to our squad?

Don''t get me wrong Sammy is a great defensive midfielder, but as you said, going forward he isn''t brilliant. In the Championship he got us about 6 goals, 3 penalties, 2 immense long-range free kicks and one goal from open play. So overall £700k would be a good profit, considering we got him on a free last summer.

I would say most people want him to stay purely because he''s the best midfielder we have at the moment. That''s not saying much, but its saying something.However i think most people aren''t too bothered and as long as we get a decent fee which can go directly back into buying more players (haha! [:D]) i''d say most people would be happy enough.

Sammy''s performances declined as the season went on, but he was our best midfielder by a country mile. I would love him to stay if he''s committed to the club, but I suspect he will go either in the interests of his career or because the club wants to cash in.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Sammy''s performances declined as the season went on, but he was our best midfielder by a country mile. I would love him to stay if he''s committed to the club, but I suspect he will go either in the interests of his career or because the club wants to cash in.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.[:)]

Best must be to hold Sammy till January at least and if we are hopeless to win promotion then must sell him.January is always busy market and offers is always overpraised so I not see what we will loose if keep him till January.Hoolahan and Sammy in this league must be the key.

Sammy Clingan had some good games last season but he was also part of a central midfield that constantly put their own defence under pressure. The biggest shame was that the partnership of him and Fotheringham never worked (they were both better without the other in the side). There was a time, before Shackell came back, where I would have played Clinghan beside the Doc in central defence leaving central midfield for Fotheringham and Russell. Sammy reads the game well and reminded me a bit of Dave Stringer at the back.

Sometimes, when it doesn''t work out, moving on is best for all concerned.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Sammy''s performances declined as the season went on, but he was our best midfielder by a country mile. I would love him to stay if he''s committed to the club, but I suspect he will go either in the interests of his career or because the club wants to cash in.[/quote]

spot on! he was our best player from the start of the season till about January.. once the transfer window closed he seemed to not give a hoot... was he disapointed he hadn''t got a move? was he trying to play well without giving his all, risking injury and scuppering a summer transfer move?

a decent player, but just like Townsend, Sherwood, Francis, Safri and many more we can name, ball playing influential midfielders are the players that turn the game, win the ball in the middle and set the striker away.. yes the front players take all the glory buts its the midfield where matches are won and lost... Sammy joins the names mentioned as being yet another one who was moved on for his betterment as the club simply cannot keep hold.

jas :)

I would love him to stay and base the team around him, but I bet that he won''t want to stay. If he wants to go, then we should cash on him now instead of him leaving for bugger all next season.

And Jas you''re right, he should have been POTS.

He was easily our best central midfielder last season and the one consistent outfield player in the side through the season. He started the season well but undoubtedly deteriorated once Fulhams fleeting interest was announced.

But that contribution has to borne in context of an area of the pitch that was consistently over run by opponents,  allowed more goals to be scored against us by late arriving midfielders than I have ever witnessed in a season, due to the central midfielders not bothering to track back So he is a defensive midfielder that was not that defensive,  and part of a unit that was unable to provide either a defensive barrier or an attacking platform.

Just because he was better than either of his main partners (fozzy, russell, pattison) remind me again why we would want to keep a player who is 2nd only in their passion to leave the club they helped relegate as soon as possible??   

No doubt because he is a good footballer and should be very good at our level.

What is the point though ? He clearly ought to be playing at a higher standard than we can offer him but the only way he might sign a new contract is if we cakewalk League One. Chances are we aren''t going to do that so may as well cash in now rather than keep an unhappy player who we''ll have to let go on a free in less than 12 months time.

If Fulham''s interest in him in January really was genuine it''s a pity we didn''t bite their hand off at the time ........

brillant player,a strong defensive attacking player who give his all each week,he should have been player of the season,hes got everthing a great midfielder needs and kepted our team in made accasions but nt the need times, he would be brillant in leauge one,should be captain,and what a stupid post  as he is a great player