Sign in to follow this  
Fig Roll

Huddersfield 'No Go' for Rickie Lambert

Interesting quote from the Huddersfield chairman about Lambert -

"No disrespect to a very good player but it''s a simple matter of economics.

"Any deal would cost a minimum of £750,000 plus add-ons for a player who is 27 and who would want a three-year contract.

"Even if he scored 30 goals a season for those three years, by the time the contract is at an end the player would be 30, and therefore there would be little or no resale value.

"That means that even before meeting wage demands, the signing would cost £5000 a week, and this club cannot do that kind of business."

Unfortunately I guess we''re in the same boat - hits home don''t it?!?!

But those thirty goals could easily mean the difference between promotion and failure to do so. To me £750,000 is worth that plus his wages, but I agree in our situation that sort of money seems completely unviable at the moment. However it shows what a sorry state football is at the moment. That clubs are only going to buy players that they can then sell on in the future. Clubs should be buying players for their ability and to give that club the best possible chance, not what they could get for them in the future.

Interesting its Huddersfield who are one of the teams who do have money in this league and they refuse to sign a player that many people on here seem to think we should be spending money we haven''t got on.

If Huddersfield can buy this sort of player we need to be realistic and expect little in the way of transfer fees to be spent this summer.

well its true in some respects but if his goals got them promotion then you could take away the money you got from the promotion against the cost of having lambert. also 30 isn''t THAT old is it? There are also other strikers around who are probably a better deal... dickinson, le fondre, murray,jackson,  holt... etc..

[quote user="Pappa Charlie"]

"Any deal would cost a minimum of £750,000 plus add-ons for a player who is 27 and who would want a three-year contract.

"Even if he scored 30 goals a season for those three years, by the time the contract is at an end the player would be 30, and therefore there would be little or no resale value.

"That means that even before meeting wage demands, the signing would cost £5000 a week, and this club cannot do that kind of business."

[/quote]That''s obvious! Tell the prize plank there''d be zero resale value because he''d be out of contract.

i think it would be a case that you sell him a year before... but it  is a fair point... and i bet his wages are pretty steap too.

[quote user="The Chirp"]i think it would be a case that you sell him a year before... but it  is a fair point... and i bet his wages are pretty steap too. [/quote]Therefore he''d be 29 and not 30

[quote user="jbghost"]

Interesting its Huddersfield who are one of the teams who do have money in this league and they refuse to sign a player that many people on here seem to think we should be spending money we haven''t got on.

If Huddersfield can buy this sort of player we need to be realistic and expect little in the way of transfer fees to be spent this summer.

[/quote] Anybody would think we were Lowestoft Town listening to you instead of a fairly big club with more season ticket holders than quite a few Premiership clubs , if we have no money its about time Delia Smith was quizzed on the subject of where its all gone .

[quote user="Pappa Charlie"]

[/quote]

Well done to them..................

Unless the clubs take a stand against silly transfers and silly wages they will be driven into the ground.

As already stated....... the average transfer budget for LG1 last year was around 250K.........

Clubs have to take a stand and start living within their means..........

Even Man Utd has stated they look at the age of a player when paying a big fee because of the possible resale value.

If THEY are doing it then every club in the land should do it...........

I think one of the reason we are going for Dickinson is he is much younger and has possible resale value down the line if he does well.

Lambert scored for fun last year BUT........... Bristol Rovers finished mid-table........... way off the playoff pace. Not even close......

Blowing your whole budget on one player does not guarantee promotion.........

You still have to have a solid squad of players.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Pappa Charlie"]

[/quote]

Well done to them..................

Unless the clubs take a stand against silly transfers and silly wages they will be driven into the ground.

As already stated....... the average transfer budget for LG1 last year was around 250K.........

Clubs have to take a stand and start living within their means..........

Even Man Utd has stated they look at the age of a player when paying a big fee because of the possible resale value.

If THEY are doing it then every club in the land should do it...........

I think one of the reason we are going for Dickinson is he is much younger and has possible resale value down the line if he does well.

Lambert scored for fun last year BUT........... Bristol Rovers finished mid-table........... way off the playoff pace. Not even close......

Blowing your whole budget on one player does not guarantee promotion.........

You still have to have a solid squad of players.

[/quote]but spending money on a GOAL SCORER in issential!!!   and £750k is a good price since HOWARD who was 29 went to Derby for £1 million....i would go for Lambert and would be very happy we signed him

It is an interesting statement.   I am wondering what their fans will make of it.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="jbghost"]

[/quote] Anybody would think we were Lowestoft Town listening to you instead of a fairly big club with more season ticket holders than quite a few Premiership clubs , if we have no money its about time Delia Smith was quizzed on the subject of where its all gone .[/quote]Wages mainly?

how much was berbatov how old is he? can''t see his value going up!

i think £750,000 isn''t much for 30 goals at all... promotion is worth alot more than £750''000.. A 30 goal a season striker gives u a good chance of going up!

I really don''t understand his reasoning at all, he''s basically saying that he can afford to buy and pay him but won''t because he won''t be able to sell him on. If we had used the same logic then we probably wouldn''t have bought Iwan or Huckerby. That''s got to be incredibly infuriating for Huddersfield fans to hear.

If we were in the running for Lambert then I would say we should gamble the money, Dickinson looks to be a promising player but he''s still quite inexperienced and hasn''t got an amazing goal scoring record. Lambert is in his prime and if he can replicate the form of last season then it would give us a fighting chance of promotion. Additionally we are very short of experienced strikers, we need someone to partner Cody and obviously can''t play Cureton, as together they would get hacked all over the park. If we need a big target man who Cody can play off then Dickinson is the right kind of player, but if Derby are asking say £500,000 for him then why not pay the extra and go for Lambert? He''s hitting some of the best form of his career right now, whereas Dickinson is relatively unproven.

Another reason to go for Lambert is that he can also play as an attacking midfielder which allows us some flexibility in changing the shape of the team if things aren''t going our way. I saw him playing in that positon in Rover''s FA cup replay against Southampton, he looked head and shoulders above the rest of the team, ran his guts out and I think he scored as well. I''m surprised he hasn''t had more attention from Championship clubs.

we paid more for that for iwan roberts and he was older than that when we signed him .

okay fair enough that was for a championship club but i would say with the goals he scored for us he repayed his transfer fee .

any player who could score that many goals has to worth that money .

besides 30 goals goes along way to gaining promotion and the rewards for that are far greater .

I am not saying Rickie Lambert is not a good player but.......... why are most people assuming he will guarantee 30 goals a season?

He has scored 104 goals in 336 league games. or 1 goal every 3.23 games.

In a 46 game season that equals around 14 goals..............

He has had one great season and many average ones.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I am not saying Rickie Lambert is not a good player but.......... why are most people assuming he will guarantee 30 goals a season?

[/quote]Exactly. The quote was "if" he scores 30 goals a season. He doesn''t. That said, my take on it is that this may say something about the spine of Huddersfield''s squad. No point having a goal a gamer standing up front without service is there (Newcastle anyone?). And before the obvious comments kick in, no I''m not suggesting that we have an amazing spine here either. Just an observation.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

I understand your point, but for much of his career, particularly with Bristol Rovers he was playing as an attacking midfielder not a striker, in one of his first full seasons as an out and out striker he scores 30+ goals. When you look at his stats from that perspective then a goal every three games as a midfielder and 30 in a season as a striker for a mediocre league one side is actually very impressive! Additionally he''s got a better scoring record than other players we have been linked with such as Dickinson or Grant Holt.

Also Iwan Roberts; 647 career appearences, 202 career goals, that''s 1 goal every 3.2 games as a striker. For Norwich; 278 games, 84 goals, a goal every 3.3 games. Furthermore Mike Walker paid £850,00 for him at the age of 29 in 1997. I think in comparison Lambert looks like good business!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]Average crowd for league 1 = 7,569

Average crowd for Norwich = 25,542

My point is that we shouldn''t really be using the League 1 average as the benchmark

[quote][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

I understand your point, but for much of his career, particularly with Bristol Rovers he was playing as an attacking midfielder not a striker, in one of his first full seasons as an out and out striker he scores 30+ goals. When you look at his stats from that perspective then a goal every three games as a midfielder and 30 in a season as a striker for a mediocre league one side is actually very impressive! Additionally he''s got a better scoring record than other players we have been linked with such as Dickinson or Grant Holt.

Also Iwan Roberts; 647 career appearences, 202 career goals, that''s 1 goal every 3.2 games as a striker. For Norwich; 278 games, 84 goals, a goal every 3.3 games. Furthermore Mike Walker paid £850,00 for him at the age of 29 in 1997. I think in comparison Lambert looks like good business!

[/quote]

As I said I don''t think he is a bad player, because obviously they wouldnt want at least 750K for him.

You would think champ clubs would be falling over themselves for just 750K?  Why so little interest? Obviously few fancy him at that price.

The problem is if we have to rebuild the whole squad, blowing 750K + 250K a year wages on one player is probably out of our budget. (and virtually every team in LG 1)

Thats just a reality we have to live with in LG1 (maybe a few more rebates left in the pot and it might have been possible?)

Huddersfield probably have a far bigger transfer budget than us and think he is overpriced in the current market....... 

We live in a different time. Lots of quality free agents out there, not many clubs are paying big fees in LG1.

FWIW Iwan played/scored goals at a higher level than Lambert.

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="USAcanary"]

My point is that we shouldn''t really be using the League 1 average as the benchmark

[/quote]

Fair point but our transfer budget is obviously MUCH higher than the average LG1 transfer budget.

OTJ may cost as much as 250K alone if we do well this year and he plays a lot.

I would estimate our average home crowd this year will be at least 3 times the average LG1 crowd

Our transfer fee budget will probably be "at least" 4 times the average LG 1 budget.

We have to be realistic. Lambert would be a huge part of our budget.........

If all you needed in your team was a goal scorer then Bristol Rovers would have been promoted by a mile........they were not close to the playoffs..

Dont get me wrong......... you NEED a decent goalscorer to get promoted......... but he must play in a team with a good alround squad of players.

I am still hopeful we can sign Dickinson who looks to be a decent signing at the LG 1 level plus at 23 has more long term potential IMHO. I also don''t blame Norwich for not overpaying for players.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As I said I don''t think he is a bad player, because obviously they wouldnt want at least 750K for him.

You would think champ clubs would be falling over themselves for just 750K?  Why so little interest? Obviously few fancy him at that price.

The problem is if we have to rebuild the whole squad, blowing 750K + 250K a year wages on one player is probably out of our budget. (and virtually every team in LG 1)

Thats just a reality we have to live with in LG1 (maybe a few more rebates left in the pot and it might have been possible?)

Huddersfield probably have a far bigger transfer budget than us and think he is overpriced in the current market....... 

We live in a different time. Lots of quality free agents out there, not many clubs are paying big fees in LG1.

[/quote]

True but we also signed Iwan when we were playing at a higher level than we are now.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "] its about time Delia Smith was quizzed on the subject of where its all gone .[/quote]Either read the accounts or call the policeStop whining FFSmoan moan moan blub blub blub

Either read the accounts or call the police

Stop whining FFS

moan moan moan blub blub blub

Are you Tom, Delia''s nephew?.....If you''re not, see if she''ll adopt you....Just think of the perks!

LQ could then be your second cousin - and Blahhaha could be your Godfather.

the statement makes  the fellah sound a right numpty, typical of the idiots running football today. 30 goals a season would make any striker a snip at that money and a striker is meant to peak at 27/28.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Like who???

Name some then... I can''t see any FREE agents on the type of wages we can afford out there who look like they would be able to offer us what Lamberts all round game can (not to mention his goals).

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="dhickl"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Fair point but our transfer budget is obviously MUCH higher than the average LG1 transfer budget.

OTJ may cost as much as 250K alone if we do well this year and he plays a lot.

I would estimate our average home crowd this year will be at least 3 times the average LG1 crowd

Our transfer fee budget will probably be "at least" 4 times the average LG 1 budget.

We have to be realistic. Lambert would be a huge part of our budget.........

If all you needed in your team was a goal scorer then Bristol Rovers would have been promoted by a mile........they were not close to the playoffs..

Dont get me wrong......... you NEED a decent goalscorer to get promoted......... but he must play in a team with a good alround squad of players.

I am still hopeful we can sign Dickinson who looks to be a decent signing at the LG 1 level plus at 23 has more long term potential IMHO. I also don''t blame Norwich for not overpaying for players.

[/quote]

I can assure you that Lambert is a hell of a lot more than just a goalscorer.

He is a target man who is strong in the air, with good feet and a very powerful shot.   As many have mentioned he has played in centre midfield for most of his career, so he can obviously mix it up a bit as well as create for other also.

Putting Dickinson or Lee in the same bracket as Lambert shows just how little you know about football.

Lambert and/or Simeon Jackson are the strikers we should be targetting and if we have any hopes of promotion then we need to land at least one of them otherwise promotion looks a remote prospect at best.