Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Kieran Gibbs

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

And those who said the same about Etuhu and his move to the Premiership?

[/quote]Etuhu was a truely frustrating player, but again had obvious ability. I must say I am surprised he is in the Fulham team so regularly but he does work well with Murphey it seems. [/quote]

Did you not think he was consistent for us after he got fit? That 2nd season I thought he probably could have been POS.

[/quote]No I didnt. The thing that I found so infuriating was that we got his goals by making late runs into the box but so many times he woud stop about 30 yards out. He had to potential to hit double figures for goals if only he had given his all.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I would imagine that many of the critics on this site had to eat humble pie last night after watching the 19 year old lad playing left back for Arsenal in the European Champions League Quarter-Final 3-0 win over Villareal.

He had a pretty steady game too.

OTBC

[/quote]

Gibbs only plays for his own club Arsenal, he proved it when he didn''t bother to play for us.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

And those who said the same about Etuhu and his move to the Premiership?

[/quote]
Etuhu was a truely frustrating player, but again had obvious ability. I must say I am surprised he is in the Fulham team so regularly but he does work well with Murphey it seems.
[/quote]

Did you not think he was consistent for us after he got fit? That 2nd season I thought he probably could have been POS.

[/quote]
No I didnt. The thing that I found so infuriating was that we got his goals by making late runs into the box but so many times he woud stop about 30 yards out. He had to potential to hit double figures for goals if only he had given his all.
[/quote]

He scored a few from outside the box too king. I agree he was frustrating at times but I never saw it as lack of effort. It was more lack of bravery. Central midfielders have to be brave when they make those runs, Francis was better but he had Gary Holt for insurance. Holt and Francis were much braver than Safri and Etuhu.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Playing in the Champions League Semi-Final tonight......he can''t be that bad can he.[/quote]Stuck one in Ronaldo in the first couple of minutes too. Good defending!

Gibbs has looked a good player for Arsenal this year.

I thought he looked out of his depth, a man amongst boys, for us.

And the moral is?   "Premiership quality" doesn''t always shine through in the Championship.   You don''t prosper in the Championship because you have lots of "Premiership quality" players who happen to be either young and raw, or old and slowing down, which is the reason someone will loan or sell them to you.    Sure, if you put them in a premiership team, surrounded by experienced good players, they may do ok, as Gibbs did.   But in the hurly burly of the Championship, they disappear.   You prosper in the Championship by building a side that is physically strong, large, resolute, well organised,  and consisting not of "Premiership quality" but of good championship players.   Build a team like that and, maybe, you can accommodate one or two flair players or "Premiership quality" youngsters.   But the backbone of the squad has to be good champinonship players.  Look at any of the teams that hvae gone up in the last three years, with the possible exception of West Brom.  Roeder''s mistake, that looks like it will get us relegated, (along with his evident lack of man management skills) is that he never understood this, hence the line of "premiership quality" loan failures, from Gibbs to Sibierski (and compare their impact to Alan Lee, who is nobody''s idea of "premiership quality" but can do a good job in the championship).

And how would we prosper in League 1 (aka Division 3)?   I suspect by building a physically strong, large, resolute, well organised team of good league 1 players, with a couple of youngsters or flair players thrown in.   That doesn''t mean hoofball, necessarily.   But it does mean we wouldn''t prosper by trying to pretent that we''re still a "quality team" with players of higher "quality", an attitude that will lead to more failure.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

Gibbs has looked a good player for Arsenal this year.

I thought he looked out of his depth, a man amongst boys, for us.

And the moral is?   "Premiership quality" doesn''t always shine through in the Championship.   You don''t prosper in the Championship because you have lots of "Premiership quality" players who happen to be either young and raw, or old and slowing down, which is the reason someone will loan or sell them to you.    Sure, if you put them in a premiership team, surrounded by experienced good players, they may do ok, as Gibbs did.   But in the hurly burly of the Championship, they disappear.   You prosper in the Championship by building a side that is physically strong, large, resolute, well organised,  and consisting not of "Premiership quality" but of good championship players.   Build a team like that and, maybe, you can accommodate one or two flair players or "Premiership quality" youngsters.   But the backbone of the squad has to be good champinonship players.  Look at any of the teams that hvae gone up in the last three years, with the possible exception of West Brom.  Roeder''s mistake, that looks like it will get us relegated, (along with his evident lack of man management skills) is that he never understood this, hence the line of "premiership quality" loan failures, from Gibbs to Sibierski (and compare their impact to Alan Lee, who is nobody''s idea of "premiership quality" but can do a good job in the championship).

And how would we prosper in League 1 (aka Division 3)?   I suspect by building a physically strong, large, resolute, well organised team of good league 1 players, with a couple of youngsters or flair players thrown in.   That doesn''t mean hoofball, necessarily.   But it does mean we wouldn''t prosper by trying to pretent that we''re still a "quality team" with players of higher "quality", an attitude that will lead to more failure.

[/quote]

So simple but oh so true. Talking about "physically strong and large" what a bad decision it was not buy Martin Taylor when we hd the chance.

Still looks a good player to me.All his time at Norwich proved is one that Roeder was a c*nt and two, that the loan obsession created a team of disinterested loaness.

[quote user="dhalsimsrightfoot"]good to see he''s still got a bit of norwich in him! straight outta colney that, wouldn''t have looked out of place on sunday..[/quote]