Sign in to follow this  
Brian Gunns Hair

Lappin - What a Player and what a true Professional.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

Says a lot about Roeder, I think most people on this board would agree that Lappin is a reasonable standard Championship player who will have the occasional Horlicks of  a game and the occasional one when everything goes right.

[/quote]Yes, and maybe some of us have higher expectations of our players than that.

[quote user="shyster"]And one word for Roeder..................C*nt.[/quote]AS my old mother used to say, there''s no such word as can''t.

[quote user="LinkNR9"][quote user="one 4 the future"]

Hold my hands up i had writtten the guy off,on what i''ve listen to today great pro and i take my hat off.[Y]

[/quote]

Me too. I thought that he would be too lightweight in central midfield but it seems that he had a really good game. Apologies and well done, Simon.

[/quote]He was a lot better than i thought. I mean admittedly he got muscled of the ball on occasion, but this isn''t even his best position remember. Certainly worthy of a place  in the next game.

i thought we was excellent, he tucked in well and covered the defence when we doubled up their wing attacks. he tackled well especially last ditch from 20 yds.he ran with pace up the channel and in space. and his passing was good.he had a good free kick saved and he took good corners which i admit, i would like to see CORT upfront receiving those corner crosses.lappin also kept carsley and o''connor quiet. 8/10 for me.

WAKE UP LAPPIN!

every morning of this week, punch the air, kick your heels, and say

YES!

Just a good performance would have been good -

but the great performance you produced was as much a bonus for us and your team

mates as it was for you. There have been lots of doubters whenever your name was

mentioned on this board - probably by those who had seen you play only (out

of position) at LB. (On Saturday two separate Radio Norfolk reports

referred to you as a left back). Even now some cannot quite believe yesterday,

saying things like: "We''re in the position we are today because we''ve signed too

many average players like Simon Lappin". (If only you were only an

average player - by definition, we''d have had a half decent team this season and

actually would not be in our current position). As it is you showed you can

tackle (despite being "too lightweight"), begin attacks (despite being "unable

to pass") and can create chances for strikers (despite being "too slow going

forward").

You may not be premiership quality or one of the

the best midfielders I''ve ever seen at Carrow Rd - but you are unquestionably

worthy of the yellow and green in terms of attitude and ability - and

far more so than some of the midfielders still on our books. How many players

could have turned out a performance like you did after being out of meaningful

action for 16 months? And whatever happened between you and Glenn Roeder, to do

what he did would have been stupid even if we had had a full complement of

Norwich City contracted players. As it was, it was wrong, just plain

wrong.
It beggars belief the Board let him get away with it - players are

assets after all and should not be wasted or treated like you have been. I sincerely hope you relish the rest of the season laddie!

As I said in another thread, his overall performance and reaction to the goal when he punched the air and shouted in delight shows what a terrific pro he is. He would have been perfectly within his rights to have his head down but his professionalism is an example to other prima-donnas who spit the dummy out at the first whisper of something going against them (yes I''m looking at you Mr Rooney!) [:D]

[quote user="Brian Gunns Hair"]

Lappin

Had a stormer of a game today and good on him. He took alot of C*** from Roeder but has repaid the faith that Bryan Gunn had in him by his performance today. Well done simon.

[:)]

[/quote]there are alot of pro''s that can take a lesson from LAPPIN...patty for one...massive respect simon and a great game yesterday[Y]

Well done to the lad, and interesting to see what happens when we field two footballers in  centre midfield instead of Sammy and a superfit meathead.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Well done to the lad, and interesting to see what happens when we field two footballers in  centre midfield instead of Sammy and a superfit meathead.[/quote]Loved that Beaus - because it is so right and it made me laugh!

For his attitude alone, he deserves a decent run and chance for us.He deserves another year here imo - if he''s proved enough to the coaching staff and such.

Also shows what happens without Wes H in the team - I''ve felt for some time that he is difficult to place in current squad - plenty of talent but needs to be in the hole behind front two.  When he plays on the left he always drifts into midfield and we are vulnerable to attack from that side.  Lappin is a left midfielder.  Play players in their best position and anything can happen.

Isn''t that attitude how we got into this mess. The Rodent signing his "in betweenies"  on loan rather than good solid pros who can play at Championship level and build a team. Look at the likes of Swansea & Bristol City.

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

Says a lot about Roeder, I think most people on this board would agree that Lappin is a reasonable standard Championship player who will have the occasional Horlicks of  a game and the occasional one when everything goes right.

[/quote]

Yes, and maybe some of us have higher expectations of our players than that.
[/quote]

Sorry should have put this quote with the post above, also the one about wanting money for more quality

I think its more a case of inspiration over performance. The lad put in a good 90 mins and fully deserves the plaudits but its how he has dealt with the previous gaffer that really makes him a winner. Every player in the proffesional game should take note. Its about respecting your club and proving your worth to the fans, not to the manager. Too many players bail out when times get tough and Lappin has stuck around and fought for his place. I think he will prove a better player as a result of it....... 

[/quote]Yes, and maybe some of us have higher expectations of our players than that.[/quote]You obviously have a down on Lappin. Fact is MT - the entire team played well on Saturday against quality opposition and Lappin was one of the best of those, despite a massive lack of match fitness. For me he is a better technical footballer (ability on the ball, with the ball and use of brain) than Russell or Croft even - both of whom are first rate players at this level - Pattison or Fotheringham. He creates as well as defends. Creativity is going to be essential during the remaining games. Anyway, I think you are going to have to get used to him being in the team for the rest of the season. I don''t believe the likes of Crook will allow him to be left out now and he and Clingan will work really well together.

I''m not a fan of Lappin. I believe him to be a one trick pony, and not rounded enough for the Championship. I thought Roeder was justified freezing him out.

But in all honesty, Lappin was magnificent yesterday and I have to applaud him. If he continues in that context, I will have to revise my statement above.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]He must be training seriously hard if he can last a full 90 minutes of a championship match without any competitive football for months[/quote]

Yes it makes a mockery of all these players coming in that "haven''t played much football" and then need several games to get match fit.

If you work hard enough you will be fit enough.

Just saw his missus at work in passing, gave her the thumbs up and told her to tell him well done for Saturday, she then gave a smile and said "ahhh thanks a lot".

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you expect players never to have a bad game then you do have very high standards Monkey. The point I was making is that you should not make instant far reaching decisions based on seeing a player in action for only a couple of games. Roeder had a tendancy to scapegoat players which  is  a bad quality in a manager.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you expect players never to have a bad game then you do have very high standards Monkey. The point I was making is that you should not make instant far reaching decisions based on seeing a player in action for only a couple of games. Roeder had a tendancy to scapegoat players which  is  a bad quality in a manager.

Yes, have to say Lappin has conducted himself so well, unlike the ex manager who froze him out. It must have taken something pretty special to motivate himself all those months. I didn''t go to Birmingham, but by all accounts he played very well. Good for you Simon, and yet another reason to be truly grateful we are well rid of Mr Roeder.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

I''m not a fan of Lappin. I believe him to be a one trick pony, and not rounded enough for the Championship. I thought Roeder was justified freezing him out.

But in all honesty, Lappin was magnificent yesterday and I have to applaud him. If he continues in that context, I will have to revise my statement above.

[/quote]

No Norwich fan would ever claim that Lappin was a wonder player in his previous spell for us BRNW! (before Roedernowhere!) but he did have some good games - Luton winner was superb and the goal at home to Cardiff spring to mind - so would have to be classed as a good squad player at least. Trouble is Roeder treated him shabbily, totally froze him out and took the atitude of I''d rather play a 90YO than Lappin!

Roedernowhere would even rather play out of their depth loanees than Lappin which was a massive slap in the face!

The fact we couldn''t get rid of Lappin back to a Scottish (of whom more than a few wanted him) club fully enthasises the problems at the club. Lappins on such a good wage here that noone in Scotland who wanted him could afford him. Also consider the fact that at during Roeders spell this season we had Lappin as well as Bertrand and Drury on the payroll. Now if we were that hard up Bertrand would not of come back on loan. Just shows how much our club needs to cut costs, players wages and how Roeder squandered a lot of money!

Lappin basically is very good technically but is lacking on the athleticism side but his performance at St Andrews on Saturday was immense considering he last played for us in late 2007 and has only played a handful of reserve games against maily non League oposition this season. The guy must have a superb atitude cause most players would of spat their dummy out way before our  idiot previous manager was sacked!

After that great performance he cannot be left out and is a good asset for the club!

Just wanted to drop this into the mix.

First and fifth goals by Lappin last season, both very similar, but show the quality he obviously has.

To hit the same goal twice shows it''s not a fluke and he has it in his locker.

I like the lad and hope he gets a start against Shef Weds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRp0blxV3IE&feature=related

Love this compilation, just reminds you that Cureton use to be quite deadly, and hucks is a legend

Not seen that before Jonnyboy - thanks for posting it. Not had too many goals from distance like that recently have we? More to come from Simon I''m sure.