Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

I do not want Bryan Gunn as manager next season whatever league we are in

That is all. F**king ridiculous appointment in the first place and a shameful gamble with the future of our club.

Lovely bloke who I will always hold in high regard as a Norwich great. I don''t blame him for us going down but he should never have been put in this position in the first place.

It is quite possibly the most embarrassing managerial appointment in the history of football, let alone our club. Therefore I completely agree, this man must be kept as far away from the coaching side as possible.

Completely in agreement. I wish he had done well, but I never felt he would. Cheap appointment of a company man who won''t rock any boats.

I hope whatever happens, Bryan steps down at the end of the season.  If we stay up, then he''s a hero and can finish on a high note.  If we go down, history will be kind to him, and he won''t be seen as the chief culprit.

Keeping him will bear the hallmark of an emotional decision rather than a footballing one.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

That is all. F**king ridiculous appointment in the first place and a shameful gamble with the future of our club.

Lovely bloke who I will always hold in high regard as a Norwich great. I don''t blame him for us going down but he should never have been put in this position in the first place.

[/quote]Totally agree with that Jim Smith, and I''ve been considering putting up a similar article myself.A great man, but on so many levels he is lacking in terms of management ability. In terms of lacking tactical knowledge and ability, you need only go to Carrow Road, 3:00 PM on a match day to see what''s wrong with our side, in a defensive, and offensive point of view.And it''s fair enough that he understands the fans, and the club, but his interviews to the press and media are, in themselves, shockingly flat, deflated and sorely uninspiring. What scared me most was that during his post match interview, after possibly the clubs biggest screw up in 4 years, almost certainly condemning the club to an embarrassing relegation to a league we last stepped foot in a long 50 years ago, his interview lacked so much fight and inspiration that i felt i was sooner to fall to sleep than jump up with enthusiasm. It was truly dour. After hearing that interview it was most certainly not the game that made me feel we were going down, but Gunn''s reaction to the whole heart breaking scenario that had transpired yesterday.If we stay up (of which myself am certain we will not achieve, and i would quite frankly bet my house on it not happening) it will be on the account of the attitude of the players (you may laugh, but it''s the unfortunate truth), and the staff that support Bryan, such as Crook''s and Butterworth (of which i have not seen evidence of happening as of yet, nor do i feel inclined to believe so).I am sorry, but whether we are relegated or not next season, if i see this brilliant man''s contract to be renewed, as for him to suffer further embarrassment, and have him send us into dire straits of which this club has never witnessed, i will have to turn a blind eye to all things Norwich, as i honestly could not bear the pain...

Completely agree. It will go down in history as the most ludicrous decision in the clubs history. Tactically inept and totally bereft of ideas. I want to see Mark Robins as manager next season. He has served his apprenticeship at Rotherham and done excellently with very little money, which makes him perfect for Norwich.

I was very against his appointment and warned everyone as to the folly of it, sadly, I think he will be re-appointed again, if that does happen, I don''t think I could support him any longer.

Have to agree with all of you. I was against the appointment from the outset, but if anything he has turned out worse than I feared. He shipped out our leading scorer (Lupoli - Lita had already gone back), the player with an assist rate of better than one every other game (Bell), and brought in Killen, who appears to be a complete bust. He also brought in Carney who made a huge impact at Wolves, and Gow, who was different class for Blackpool, but has left them out,as well as Pattison, our biggest goal threat in midfield, in favour of the likes of Russell and Fotheringham.

He has shown no ability whatsoever to change the course of games, and consistently holds back substitutions until it''s too late. Lovely guy, a City legend, but a disastrously bad manager.

Yes sadley we are now aleaderless shambles and i honestly think all there is to play for is whether Charlton or us finish bottom. No real prospect of getting out of this mess, if any of the bottom 3 do then it will be Southampton

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]Completely agree. It will go down in history as the most ludicrous decision in the clubs history. Tactically inept and totally bereft of ideas.

I want to see Mark Robins as manager next season. He has served his apprenticeship at Rotherham and done excellently with very little money, which makes him perfect for Norwich.
[/quote]

Short memories. Wasn''t Peter Grant the club''s most ludicrous decision in the clubs history? Somebody who had only ever been Pardews assistant. Gunny seems to have just been a PR stunt to smooth our transition into Div 3 and boost ticket sales before the first deadline. In that sense I think it has been one of the board''s better decisions. Mark Robins would be a very good shout for me.

[quote user="book end"]

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]Completely agree. It will go down in history as the most ludicrous decision in the clubs history. Tactically inept and totally bereft of ideas. I want to see Mark Robins as manager next season. He has served his apprenticeship at Rotherham and done excellently with very little money, which makes him perfect for Norwich.[/quote]

Short memories. Wasn''t Peter Grant the club''s most ludicrous decision in the clubs history? Somebody who had only ever been Pardews assistant. Gunny seems to have just been a PR stunt to smooth our transition into Div 3 and boost ticket sales before the first deadline. In that sense I think it has been one of the board''s better decisions. Mark Robins would be a very good shout for me.

[/quote]wasn''t duffy and gunny our most ludicrous appointments...[:P]

Whether we like it or not we were not in the bottom three when Gunn took over we certainly are now and seem incapable of escaping perhaps someone can tell me what Crook and Butterworth have brought to the set up. Looking at our set pieces we see Doherty at the far post ready to head the ball back into the goalmouth nearly every time - as the opposition manager cut that out and the danger is gone - we then see the rest of the tall uns lining up in the middle and the ball sailing over them. I am certain that some Sunday league teams could offer better alternatives than we have at present.

The board now need to start to look for a new manager preferably one that is currently employed with a good track record looking as though he is on the up -ala Leeds and the Blackpool manager - once identified No will not be an option. At present with Doncaster at the helm we can only have applicants which normally mean they have been sacked from other clubs. The board must be bold otherwise we will be in league two soon.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

agreed, but he has managed to achieve exactly what the Board put him there for, he has got 17000 of us to renew our season tickets

The reason it was ludicrous was because we were only just above the relegation zone when Gunn was appointed. Not the type of scenario you want for any rookie manager. But I agree on the business side of things it was probably a good decision as the season ticket renewals have proved.The appointment of Grant was slighly less ridiculous because it was done when we were mid table and gave him more time to settle into the job. Not that it helped him very much.

If he keeps us up, he''ll be hailed as a life saver.  I honestly don''t think that with perhaps the exception of Robins that any of the other candidates for the job could do a much better job with so little money and quality in the squad to pluck from. Boothroyd perhaps could''ve got a couple more wins but he''d never have the same bond with the players as Gunn does. Ince would almost certainly be earmarked as Roeder mark II and again couldn''t do much better.In terms of the season ticket sales, I wholeheartedly believe that they''d have reached high numbers even if Gunn never got the job. Did it help sell some tickets? Perhaps, but certainly this year despite some horrible displays we''ve always had good numbers of fans at the grounds.

[quote user="Superflash"]If he keeps us up, he''ll be hailed as a life saver.  I honestly don''t think that with perhaps the exception of Robins that any of the other candidates for the job could do a much better job with so little money and quality in the squad to pluck from. Boothroyd perhaps could''ve got a couple more wins but he''d never have the same bond with the players as Gunn does. Ince would almost certainly be earmarked as Roeder mark II and again couldn''t do much better.In terms of the season ticket sales, I wholeheartedly believe that they''d have reached high numbers even if Gunn never got the job. Did it help sell some tickets? Perhaps, but certainly this year despite some horrible displays we''ve always had good numbers of fans at the grounds.

[/quote]Why do so many people say this?5-2 At home to the league leaders? 3-3 Away at their place? 2-0 Against the Scum? 4-0 At home against Barnsley? And this is all without mentioning the quality of performances we displayed against Plymouth, Sheffield United, and Southampton off the top of my head.We do have quality, and we have shown this. What we''re lacking is the right attitude, and the right mix of players and abilities.Make no doubt about it, had we had a manager with far superior tactical nous, and a more astute approach to the transfer market, we''d be in a far more favourable position.

[quote]Why do so many people say this?5-2 At home to the league

leaders? 3-3 Away at their place? 2-0 Against the Scum? 4-0 At home

against Barnsley? And this is all without mentioning the quality of

performances we displayed against Plymouth, Sheffield United, and

Southampton off the top of my head.We do have quality, and we have shown this. What we''re lacking is the right attitude, and the right mix of players and abilities.Make

no doubt about it, had we had a manager with far superior tactical

nous, and a more astute approach to the transfer market, we''d be in a

far more favourable position.[/quote]For Wolves, we had Leroy Lita and he himself did get lucky with one or two goals in that game if I recall correctly. At their place, they''d hit a poor run of form as it was. On derby day, form goes out of the window and the players would''ve needed no motivation for such an occasion. Against Barnsley, the players spirits were temporarily revived thanks to Gunn''s presence. Whilst I don''t doubt we deserved these points on the day, we do still suffer a lack of consistent quality. You are quite right to point out these examples and I often point to them myself when discussing the team. But the fact is such qualities have not been shown enough. For me, despite having the odd good game now and then unless you are consistent then you don''t possess enough quality.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Who would you of had then?

An outsider who''d want a 3 year deal and would more than likely not do any better than Gunn considering the cr*p hes been left to work with?

An experienced manager - oh hang on a minute thats the reason the totally inept Roedernowhere was appointed!

I''m sorry but I don''t see the relevance in slagging Gunny cause he took over a poison chalice.

I don''t think Alex Ferguson would turn us around in the same circumstances!

The problems at this club started long before Gunn was made manager. If we''d of had a decent manager instead of Grant or Roedernowhere, Gunny would not of been given a 2nd thought!

The best spells in our history have been when we''ve appointed from within fact - Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker and Worthy!

All facts considered I will still maintain Gunny was our best option at the time even if we probably get relegated!

[quote user="Superflash"][quote]Why do so many people say this?5-2 At home to the league

leaders? 3-3 Away at their place? 2-0 Against the Scum? 4-0 At home

against Barnsley? And this is all without mentioning the quality of

performances we displayed against Plymouth, Sheffield United, and

Southampton off the top of my head.We do have quality, and we have shown this. What we''re lacking is the right attitude, and the right mix of players and abilities.Make

no doubt about it, had we had a manager with far superior tactical

nous, and a more astute approach to the transfer market, we''d be in a

far more favourable position.[/quote]For Wolves, we had Leroy Lita and he himself did get lucky with one or two goals in that game if I recall correctly. At their place, they''d hit a poor run of form as it was. On derby day, form goes out of the window and the players would''ve needed no motivation for such an occasion. Against Barnsley, the players spirits were temporarily revived thanks to Gunn''s presence. Whilst I don''t doubt we deserved these points on the day, we do still suffer a lack of consistent quality. You are quite right to point out these examples and I often point to them myself when discussing the team. But the fact is such qualities have not been shown enough. For me, despite having the odd good game now and then unless you are consistent then you don''t possess enough quality. [/quote]Can''t say i disagree with that...

Have to agree that even if we were to stay up i would like him replaced , an appointment that had disaster written all over it from day one and has turned out to be even worse than that .

The best spells in our history have been when we''ve appointed from within fact - Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker and Worthy!"

We ''poached'' Bond from Bournemouth.

But it was an inspired appointment, he had a small team, on the up, playing good football and making good signings.

Need another one of those.

Gunny is a legend, but to put him in charge was folly, we needed some with experience, someone with leadership and motivational skills, and someone who could work on a shoestring, financially...

...yes, I agree? Who the hell would it, could it be?

I think Gunny got the job because there really was no alternative. And that, come the Summer, Butterworth will take over, with Crook as his No.2, Deehan will be appointed Director of Football/General Manager and Gunny will "go upstairs", maybe even on the Board in a similar position to that which Peter Lorimer has at Leeds.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

An outsider who''d want a 3 year deal and would more than likely not do any better than Gunn considering the cr*p hes been left to work with?

An experienced manager - oh hang on a minute thats the reason the totally inept Roedernowhere was appointed!

I''m sorry but I don''t see the relevance in slagging Gunny cause he took over a poison chalice.

The problems at this club started long before Gunn was made manager. If we''d of had a decent manager instead of Grant or Roedernowhere, Gunny would not of been given a 2nd thought!

The best spells in our history have been when we''ve appointed from within fact - Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker and Worthy!

All facts considered I will still maintain Gunny was our best option at the time even if we probably get relegated!

[/quote]

I am not slagging Gunn. I am slagging his appointment. Your second sentence shows the level of indoctrination and downscaling of expectations that the current regime has managed to instill in fans.

So what if a manager might have wanted a 3 year contract. they bl**dy well should do and we should be appointing a manager on a long term deal rather than yet more short termism. Unfortunately every single aspect of the club at the moment is run on a short terms basis, now including the management team.

We should have got in someone like Bothroyd or Dowie and said ok then back your ability, sign a contract that gives you a bonus if you keep us up but a paycut if you take us down. Appointing someone like Gunny should have been the last, not the first resort. I may be wrong but i don''t think it was!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not slagging Gunn. I am slagging his appointment. Your second sentence shows the level of indoctrination and downscaling of expectations that the current regime has managed to instill in fans.

So what if a manager might have wanted a 3 year contract. they bl**dy well should do and we should be appointing a manager on a long term deal rather than yet more short termism. Unfortunately every single aspect of the club at the moment is run on a short terms basis, now including the management team.

We should have got in someone like Bothroyd or Dowie and said ok then back your ability, sign a contract that gives you a bonus if you keep us up but a paycut if you take us down. Appointing someone like Gunny should have been the last, not the first resort. I may be wrong but i don''t think it was!

[/quote]

Not a case of downscaling my expectations - (In fact my expectations are that the club has everything in place to be a regular top flight club apart from the board and the football team!) just an understanding of the Shi*ty situation the club is in with probable relegation and and over the hill board who know they are but can''t find anyone ot buy the club!

Bothroyd would of been my choice because he knows the club and got Watford promoted with less funds than what we have but DOWIE - Please!

All your credibility disapeared the moment you''d consider him a better option than Gunny!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not a case of downscaling my expectations - (In fact my expectations are that the club has everything in place to be a regular top flight club apart from the board and the football team!) just an understanding of the Shi*ty situation the club is in with probable relegation and and over the hill board who know they are but can''t find anyone ot buy the club!

Bothroyd would of been my choice because he knows the club and got Watford promoted with less funds than what we have but DOWIE - Please!

All your credibility disapeared the moment you''d consider him a better option than Gunny!

[/quote]

I acknowledge we are in a sh*t position and I can see why they thought in terms of a short term appointment - in fact i expectd it because its how we operate these days.

Dowie would have been better than Gunn. Despite the fact a lot of Norwich fans seem to hate him, presumably due to the fact he was at Palace when we were in direct competition with them, he is not a bad manager. Ok he did not do well at Charlton but he was decent for Palace and was going ok at QPR before the chairman started interfering. He is an experienced coach and I am sure would have kept us up from the position we were in.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Once again i have to agree completely.  This club has been drifting along with no long term plan ever since we were promoted to the Premier League

As i said on another thread. The only possible upside of relegation is that it could and should lead to a root and branch clear out of our squad.  If the board take the opportunity to appoint a young, ambitious manager (a la Martinez, Pearson, Ferguson) who can then try and rebuild this club from the bottom up. Hopefully he will have the remaining members of the current squad, the money from the sales of Clingan, Hoolahan, Marshall and a reasonably promising set of young players to work with. BUT it has to be 3-5 year project.

What we don''t need  is a team led by the inexperienced Gunn and composed of Reading reserve loanees.  However, as some have already alluded to i fear this is what will happen if the the ultra cautious Doncaster is left to run the ship.  His comments following the season ticket numbers "it''s down to the Gunn factor" etc fill me with dread

I think Dowie WAS a good manager but is now over the hill and probably due to working in media and having plenty of money wouldn''t have the desire to do the job anyway!

I think the board have had a long term plan and that is to not be at the helm which is why things haven''t gone well lately and they have got out of their depth and don''t want to put more money in!