Sign in to follow this  
RobertMack

Roeder Ratings...

From what everyone has seen, heard, and been told, I wondered what ratings people would honestly give Roeder in specific categories (marks out of 10):

Transfers In -

Transfers Out -

Team selection -

Style of play -

Media handling -

Man management -

Overall score (out of 60) -

Im sure there are other categories but just wanted to see peoples genuine scores based on nearly a years work. Hopefully you can just copy and paste the categories and fill it in.

[quote user="RobertMack"]

From what everyone has seen, heard, and been told, I wondered what ratings people would honestly give Roeder in specific categories (marks out of 10):

Transfers In - 5  some ok transfers on the budget he had

Transfers Out - 4

Team selection - 4  sometimes I wonder what planet he''s on

Style of play - 5

Media handling - 3  no press conferences for player introductions, bad move IMO

Man management - 3 he said he wouldn''t slate players publicly, yet does so on a regular basis

Im sure there are other categories but just wanted to see peoples genuine scores based on nearly a years work. Hopefully you can just copy and paste the categories and fill it in.

[/quote]

Transfers In - 8

Transfers Out - 7

Team selection - 6

Style of play - 6

Media handling - 3

Man management - 3

Overall score (out of 60) - 33

[/quote]

Transfers In -8

Transfers Out -7.5 (Importantly got rid of the dead weight in the squad when he first came. The kind of attitudes that could of seen us go down. Apart from Lewis and Huckerby in his time here, he''s done the right thing in the that department)

Team selection -4

Style of play -4 (Says he plays a passing game on the floor. Not what i see from our defence, when they pelt it up to the likes of Lita, Cureton and Lupoli. It wouldn''t even work with Sibierski or Russell, yet we still persist in doing it. Still haven''t taken to the one winger role either)

Media handling -7

Man management -4.5

Overall score (out of 60) -35

Transfers In - 8. Had no budget at all. Has been extremely proactive getting 2 players per position and his use of th eloan market has been good. We just couldnt afford to buy that amount of players. Bertrand, Evans, Pearce, Bates / Rigters (looked gd), Kennedy, Grounds, Gibbs (has immense potential and came good,) Taylor and Lupoli are all good captures.

The jury is still out on Omozusi, Sibierski and Koruma. Henry flopped. Stefanovic has been class, as has Clingan, Pattison has the potential and has played well this season and we all know that Hoolahan is quality but something just aint right there!

Transfers Out 7- We needed a mass clear out. Brellier, Big Dave, The Jarvis boys and Murray all moved on which helped the wage bill. His use of the loan market with Martin and Spillane was a great touch. The boys needed a kick up the backside.

For me these outweigh the departure of Hucks. Yes it was a mistake, but we need to move on. JOe Lewis.....at the time i couldnt understand it. Now i can though. He said , wait untill you see Steer and Rudd. They are better. Now Man C and Chelsea are sniffing about so they obv have seen something they like. £400k plus sell ons were good.

Team selection - 7. Been unfortunate with injuries and suspensions. I dont really think he is a tinkerman, i think his hand is forced. Saturdays decisions were a bit weird but when Russell has been up top he has done well.

Style of play - 7. Improved alot untill recently. Gone back to hoofing it a bit. We have seen glimpses (Esp Brum) what he is trying to achieve. Then along come injuries and suspensions when we start moving forward.

Media handling - 7. I have no complaints. A spade is a spade. We need someone who is not afraid to speak his mind. (now go on and challenge the board!) He is a bit bland but so are some of the best managers.

Man management - 4. Recentley DD said he was blinkered in his approach. This has been evident with Hucks and anyone that crosses him. No second chances.....thats not always bad!

Overall score (out of 60) - 40

Transfers In - 7.5  Would have gotten higher but for the striker situation, but all good with the budget available.

Transfers Out - 5 Nothing really to judge by IMO, Shackle was due to board needing cash, all others were pretty inconsequential.

Team selection - 5

Style of play -6 Would be higher had we not fallen into the longer balls with Sibierski

Media handling - 5

Man management -3 On present form does not seem to be getting the players to perform for him and the Hoolahan thing is a bit confusing.

Overall score (out of 60) -30.5

Good post Robert, Interesting way of appraising GR, I am not anti Roeder whatsoever but these scores are not as good as I hoped for, certainly has made me think!

beaten wisard 2 it.........................................

Transfers In - 0

Transfers Out - 0

Team selection - 0

Style of play - 0

Media handling - 0

Man management - 0

Overall score (out of 60) - 00

sack the rodent sack the bored lets hav a protest!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]

Transfers In - 7. No major complaints - Clingan is excellent and even Pattison is causing me to reconsider: the problem is getting the mix right in play.

Transfers Out - 7. Again he''s done the right thing mainly. Disappointed with the sidelining of Chadwick & Lappin and maybe Lewis was indeed surplus. Hucks may have just been too expensive.

Team selection - 4. His selections continue to baffle me.

Style of play - 4. sometimes OK, rarely exciting and too often downright dreadful. (If in doubt keep it on the deck).

Media handling - 4. when he does speak he''s not bad - but too often he''s absent. Hucks departure was a missed opportunity for Hucks, club, fans - and GR.

Man management - 2. my main area of concern. Hope I''m proved wrong before long.

Overall score (out of 60) - 28

[/quote]

Transfers In - 4 (not Roeders fault) - Only Stevo and Clingan show any real quality and the loanees arent ours. He constantly missed out on his top targets mid season.

Transfers Out - 2 - Joe Lewis and Huckerby. Strihavka wasnt given a fair chance either imo.

Team selection - 0 - Appalling levels of squad rotation. Needs to develop a settled starting 11. Cosistantly persisting with players who are clearly underperforming and fielding loans infront of better actual squad players.

Style of play - 5 - Has sacrificed any attacking flair we had last season for a boring defencive style. Not helped by the fact all our midfielders are either very low on confidence or are just crap. They just dont show any creative flair. Saying this the defence, school boy errors aside, does look organised.

Media handling - 0 - Roeder is an embarrassment in front of the camera. Too cocky and very arrogant. He has no charisma which is needed for a manager to be sucessful.

Man management - 0 - I get the feeling that the players dont respect Roeder and this is beginning to become very clear in the performances. The lack of fight shows this.

Overall score (out of 60) - 11

[/quote]

Transfers In -

Transfers Out -

Team selection -

Style of play -

Media handling -

Man management -

[/quote]

I really like this idea, but I have to ask whether it means anything unless we have another manager to compare the ratings to - Grant, maybe, or Worthington, or even Magilton.  Otherwise, they''re just numbers, right?

I''m also a bit queasy about scoring on "man management" when we don''t really have any idea as he hasn''t managed us.  But let''s go with it...

Transfers In -   7 considering how tied his hands have been

Transfers Out - 4 which is largely all about Huckerby

Team selection -6

Style of play - 6

Media handling - 5

Man management - 4 if what we think is true is true

Overall score (out of 60) -32

A little better than average.  Just about right, maybe a little too high.

[quote user="thecanaryfan wants the board out"]

Team selection - 0 - Appalling levels of squad rotation. Needs to develop a settled starting 11. Cosistantly persisting with players who are clearly underperforming and fielding loans infront of better actual squad players.

[/quote]Well, this is clearly nonsense.How can you have appalling levels of rotation AND consistently persist with underperformers?Add the injury problems into the mix and I think you''re way harsh here.Name the better squad players being left out for loanees?

Transfers In -8 - He has done well with the budget given to him and brought in a couple of decent players. No complaints.

Transfers Out -5 - Has got rid of some dead wood but also let a coupld of players go he maybe shouldn''t of

Team selection -4 - Sometimes you look at them and just think "wtf?"

Style of play -6 - Play has been good before Sibs arrived. He seems to want to play football the right way.

Media handling -2 - His handling of the media is very very poor

Man management -2 - He needs to swallow his ego and stop having favourites

Overall score (out of 60) -27 - Could do better but has it in his own hands to turn around. Needs to swallow his pride and bring back some of the better players.

Transfers In - Whoever gave him an 8 has got o be joking. A generous 3. Thanks to Sammy Clingan.

Transfers Out - Huckerby out on a free, no match winners. 1

Team selection - Erm, James Henry on the left wing against Leicester away. Followed by countless other awful decisions. 2.

Style of play - Hmm, the best rating of the lot so far. 5

Media handling - He''s not so bad at that ... I guess 6

Man management - Nah only to his ''loan players'' . 3

Overall score (out of 60) - 20

Transfers In -6

Transfers Out -7

Team selection -5

Style of play -6

Media handling -8

Man management -7

Overall score (out of 60) -39

[/quote]Was surprised when i totalled this up...thought it would of been more, but it is my honest opinion so there you go

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

Transfers In - Whoever gave him an 8 has got o be joking. A generous 3. Thanks to Sammy Clingan.

Transfers Out - Huckerby out on a free, no match winners. 1

Team selection - Erm, James Henry on the left wing against Leicester away. Followed by countless other awful decisions. 2.

Style of play - Hmm, the best rating of the lot so far. 5

Media handling - He''s not so bad at that ... I guess 6

Man management - Nah only to his ''loan players'' . 3

Overall score (out of 60) - 20

[/quote]

I gave him 8 and i think i justified why. Not much of a budget but has got people in.

Also James Henry on the left wing.....Do you know why he played? Bertrand fell ill and he was the only like for like replacement available. Hucks was at waitrose.....Oh well....guess he could have put the doc there.

Countless other decisions? Take away the Russell thing on sat (but he still has 2 goals this yr from playing there and gave us more presence than Lupoli would have against there big centre backs.) and Clingan to RB,  which ones?

Thanks to those of you that have replied. After a quick scan it looks like people are generally in agreement on the whole with his transfer policy thus far. Team selection and man management leave the most to be desired in the majority of people''s views. My next thought is, do we feel Roeder can up his game in these areas where he is struggling. My main concern is that both poor team selection (often noted by people in terms of unneccessary alterations from one match to the next) and poor man management suggest a lack confidence in either himself or his players. Based on the fact that as a group we seem to be in tune with his transfers it makes me wonder if it is his own confidence (or lack of) that is causing some of the problems.I am aware that this is a hugely subjective and generalised thought but it remains a concern for me. Someone has also suggested Roedser is arrogant in front of the media, again possibly more to do with covering his own lack of confidence.I have no interest in blame whatsoever. I fully respect that I may be miles from the truth here but I really feel that Roeder needs all our support more than ever right now. Please keep posting your scores as I find it really interesting and appreciate the honest responses. 

[quote user="RobertMack"]I have no interest in blame whatsoever. I fully respect that I may be miles from the truth here but I really feel that Roeder needs all our support more than ever right now. [/quote]I don''t understand this sentence.  Are you saying that the more he appears to make questionable decisions, the more we should get behind him?

Sorry if it wasn''t clear. My point was that maybe with our support we could help him eradicate some questionable decisions; as opposed to slating him, or anyone else we can find to blame, and then be surprised when things go badly.

Transfers In -    9

Transfers Out -   7

Team selection -   5

Style of play -      5

Media handling -   5

Man management -    2

Overall score (out of 60) -   33

[/quote]

Transfers In -7 - A few good loan signings. Some poor ones too. The people he has brought in permanently have not had the desired effect I don''t think.

Transfers Out - 6 - Transferred out some players that he really shouldn''t have (although I can''t blame him for Lewis, it made sense). Shouldn''t have let huckerby go or send martin out for a whole season. He got rid of some deadwood, but maybe too much in the end...

Team selection - 5 - Some dreadful tactical howlers have blighted his time here. Some of them have been extremely costly.

Style of play - 5 - Can''t say it''s that good. Not anywhere near the level of a few seasons ago and generally very one-dimensional

Media handling - 5 - Not great but not as bad as ol'' Joe at Toon. Acts like a child sometimes which isn''t awe-inspiring for the players really

Man management - 3 - In my opinion the worst asset of his management. He''s temperamental and that''s good sometimes but then it just gets down right silly. Like dropping players just because of tiff even though they were/are badly needed. He says he doesn''t slag certain players off and then proceeds to, even if they had good games. It''s not a surprise that some of the worst performances have been after one of "his rants" at players. No need.

Overall score (out of 60) - 31

[quote user="Woodstock"][quote user="thecanaryfan wants the board out"]

[/quote]

Well, this is clearly nonsense.
How can you have appalling levels of rotation AND consistently persist with underperformers?
Add the injury problems into the mix and I think you''re way harsh here.
Name the better squad players being left out for loanees?
[/quote]

Drury and Semmy in my opinion

[quote user="Fellas"]

It''s not a surprise that some of the worst performances have been after one of "his rants" at players.

[/quote]

Perhaps a more apt thread title would be "Roeder Rantings", that seems to be his most noticeable characteristic.

Transfers In - 7 Not brilliant but overall has cost virtually nothing and we have better cover.

Transfers Out - 5 Got rid of plenty of deadwood which needed doing but Huckerby and Lewis were bad errors and Chadwick on loan is another. Strikers by and large have been weak

Team selection - 3 Dreadfull. Sqaure pegs in round holes, like others I feel he favours the loanees, even acounting for injuries he changes the team far too much for me, substitutions are often strange 

Style of play - 5 I think we try to play it the right way, particularly from the back but we are too defensive, often lack width and the central midfield play too many sideaways balls

Media handling - 7 He is usually frank and honest IMO but he does critises too much in public, something he said he wouldn''t do

Man management - 2 So many examples. The confidence of some players is totally shot and I feel this is often down to him. He seems to bear a grudge, slates players in public, has favourites etc

Overall score (out of 60) - 30 Just average then but most people have scored him as weak in the most imprtant areas, team sellection and man management

[/quote]

Enjoyable post Robert!

Transfers In - On paper a 6 but a year down the line the new player''s results are no better than the old ones, so a  4

Transfers Out - Threw the baby out with the bath water I''m afraid, if your child minder did that you would sack her @rse 3

Team selection - Only seems to get results at every club when he first takes over and is forced to play existing players in the positions they were meant, once he tries to put his own stamp on things it all falls apart 3

Style of play - Started  ok but back to hoof football  3

Media handling - Could be the nicest guy in the World but comes across as arrogant and extremely dislike-able and blames everyone except himself  3

Man management - His biggest failure and is on par with Grant 2

Overall score (out of 60) - 18

[quote user="Woodstock"][quote user="thecanaryfan wants the board out"]

[/quote]

Well, this is clearly nonsense.
How can you have appalling levels of rotation AND consistently persist with underperformers?
Add the injury problems into the mix and I think you''re way harsh here.
Name the better squad players being left out for loanees?
[/quote]

Just because the rotation of the squad is appalling doesnt mean he rotates the entire squad does it? Think about it.