Sign in to follow this  
Future Radio

John Tilson from NCISA on Future Radio Today

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Smudger"]

Exactly what is it that the NCISA, Capital Canaries, Yarmouth Yellas, Northern Canaries and the Midlands based group are scared of?

Canvas all of your members and give them the option to vote.

This is ultimately what people pay their membership money for surely???

[/quote]Smudger, I would think that NCISA is the largest of these groups with a membership of around 450 so the total membership of all the groups added together is probably not much more than a thousand. If they had a 60% vote in favour of protests that would mean around 600 people committed to an action on behalf of 25,000 regular supporters plus around another 25,000 "casuals". Hardly representative of the total fan base is it? I''m not trying to undermine the efforts and achievements of these groups because I know they all do a sterling job, but to try to make you see that for all your efforts, you haven''t got the support of many fans for disruption.

If the board are seen to bury their heads in the sand and not recognise dissatisfaction from supporters then I feel fans reactions will be spontaneous and won''t need ballots from anyone. I just don''t think the board will let the situation deteriorate to that level before decisive action is taken one way or the other.

[/quote]Please note, my membership figures were purely guesswork and not confirmed by Mr Tilson nor Mr Carrow or anyone else! [:D]  

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Kathy"]

What makes you think we dont do that Smudger? I appreciate you havent been a member for long but if you had you would know that we have done several times in the past, and will do again with serious issues. Watch your inbox.

[/quote]

I''ve only been a member for 6 months but would be interested to know what the serious issue was that you last canvassed them on?

Presumeably thats costly for you Kathy as that involves postage for those with no emails.

[/quote]

Peter Cullum''s alleged attempt to buy into the club.

[quote user=""]

Smudger in this canvassing, do you want just a single question?   Is it just "Would you support a protest against the current board" or what other wording?

As the question would clearly alter both the response, and how we as organisations would be viewed in asking the question.

[/quote]

Hi :o)

Maybe something along the lines of...

1)  Are you happy with the football which has been on display at Carrow Road over the last 3 and a half years?

2)  Do you support a protest at this moment in time against the current board of directors?

3)  If you do not support a protest against the current board at this moment in time, then when would you?

Never?

After the AGM if no clear direction on the way forward is offered?

At the January transfer window when little money is spent yet again?  If so less than how much £1 million/£2 million/£3million/£5 million

4)  What position in the league do you think is an acceptable position for NCFC to finish this season?

5)  If you do not see a protest as the way forwards the what other suggestions do you have?  (open question)

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Smudger"]

Exactly what is it that the NCISA, Capital Canaries, Yarmouth Yellas, Northern Canaries and the Midlands based group are scared of?

[/quote]Smudger, I would think that NCISA is the largest of these groups with a membership of around 450 so the total membership of all the groups added together is probably not much more than a thousand. If they had a 60% vote in favour of protests that would mean around 600 people committed to an action on behalf of 25,000 regular supporters plus around another 25,000 "casuals". Hardly representative of the total fan base is it? I''m not trying to undermine the efforts and achievements of these groups because I know they all do a sterling job, but to try to make you see that for all your efforts, you haven''t got the support of many fans for disruption.

If the board are seen to bury their heads in the sand and not recognise dissatisfaction from supporters then I feel fans reactions will be spontaneous and won''t need ballots from anyone. I just don''t think the board will let the situation deteriorate to that level before decisive action is taken one way or the other.

[/quote]Please note, my membership figures were purely guesswork and not confirmed by Mr Tilson nor Mr Carrow or anyone else! [:D]  [/quote]

Hardly Lappin... it would show that 60% of a cross section of 1,000 Norwich City fans were commited to action.

That is the only or best basis that we have of canvassing a cross section of fans... the club are hardly going to post questionnaires out to all of the season ticket holders and members, acting on the opinions given, are they?

If you would like an answer taking it back to your ridiculous basis of debate (above) then 60% of 25,000 is 15,000 unhappy fans who would like to see immediate action against the board Lappin.

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

What makes you think we dont do that Smudger? I appreciate you havent been a member for long but if you had you would know that we have done several times in the past, and will do again with serious issues. Watch your inbox.

[/quote]

I''m watching Kathy... [:^)] [8-|]

[quote user=""]

Fair points Smudger, hopefully our secretary will bring a copy of your post to our next meeting for discussion (you know I''ll forget Kathy !!).

[/quote]

Unless Clear answers are given to this question (as in what answers are members looking for at the AGM) or to question 5 on what do they see as other clear ways forwards then I think that protest is the only and inevitable option.

We may choose to sit back until the club falls apart further (as has been done over the last 3 and half years) or choose to act.

That is the way I see things.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user=""]

Smudger in this canvassing, do you want just a single question?   Is it just "Would you support a protest against the current board" or what other wording?

As the question would clearly alter both the response, and how we as organisations would be viewed in asking the question.

[/quote]

1)  Are you happy with the football which has been on display at Carrow Road over the last 3 and a half years?

2)  Do you support a protest at this moment in time against the current board of directors?

3)  If you do not support a protest against the current board at this moment in time, then when would you?

Never?

At the January transfer window when little money is spent yet again?  If so less than how much £1 million/£2 million/£3million/£5 million

4)  What position in the league do you think is an acceptable position for NCFC to finish this season?

5)  If you do not see a protest as the way forwards the what other suggestions do you have?  (open question)

[/quote]

Your input is admirable Smudger in that you are obviously giving good thought to input that can be shared within a greater group rather than the one man protest approach you are so famous for.

To add more balance to the questions and, given the global financial crisis, it might be worthwhile adding a further question such as:

"Given the global financial isues and resulting credit crunch negating an increase in debt and, should no significant new investor/new owner appear for Norwich City by year end, would you be in favour ( or not ) of adding funds for permanent signings by a significant increase in season ticket and attendance costs to match QPR for example which, after all, is only four points ahead of Norwich?"  

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user=""]

[/quote]

Never?

[/quote]

Your input is admirable Smudger in that you are obviously giving good thought to input that can be shared within a greater group rather than the one man protest approach you are so famous for.

To add more balance to the questions and, given the global financial crisis, it might be worthwhile adding a further question such as:

"Given the global financial isues and resulting credit crunch negating an increase in debt and, should no significant new investor/new owner appear for Norwich City by year end, would you be in favour ( or not ) of adding funds for permanent signings by a significant increase in season ticket and attendance costs to match QPR for example which, after all, is only four points ahead of Norwich?"  

[/quote]

or even if new investors are found this question could still stand (maybe it falls in to the category for other ways forwards)?

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Kathy"]

[/quote]

I''ve only been a member for 6 months but would be interested to know what the serious issue was that you last canvassed them on?

Presumeably thats costly for you Kathy as that involves postage for those with no emails.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So all the members were canvassed as recently as June?

I have to say I agree with Smudger on the issue of canvassing support. Of course NCISA are not alone in representing the fans at large, there seem to be a multitude of groups out there.

As Lappin points out, the fan organisations only represent a tiny minority in membership terms, but as happened during the Chase Out era, NCISA were seen as spokespeople during that campaign and a group which fans could at least identify with in terms of ideals, whether they had actually joined or not.

I think personally this could well be the case again. Of course you will get people saying that NCISA and the rest don''t represent the entire fanbase.

If NCISA and the others make it clear what their aims are and what they can do in any given situation, then maybe more people will join. Do we then consider those who don''t join as pro the current board and it''s decision making?

IF things hot up and there is unrest it''s probably likely to be spontaneous. Even then we are never going to have the entire ground protesting, or singing the boards'' praises either. Difficult to judge the majority opinion as ever, but the fan groups do need to at least make a concerted effort to find out what their members think, and then represent that view in a public manner.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Kathy"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Kathy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So all the members were canvassed as recently as June?

[/quote]

To be fair, not all the members. Our membership secretary emailed those with email. As you say postage is pricey and would make quite a hole in the hard earned funds we raise. I did however phone one or two of the others. and I believe there was a mention on the website at the time.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

This post is for you Arrdee as i feel that age has got the better of your eyesight and i suspect your memory is fading as well.I am well annoyed that in an earlier post you refer to NCISA trying to drum up a protest.That is bang out of order and totally incorrect if you read my previous posts.I invited people to have a chat in a pub to listen to their views and it has been suggested that NCISA seek the views of its members about the current situation which is on the agenda for our next committee meeting.People have also suggested that various supporters groups get together.

I have taken all suggestions on board and as you well know if you can read and digest fully the contents of my previous posts on this thread.I have done so as chairman of NCISA and have acted in the best interests of all supporters whether NCISA members or not.

You have construed it as trying to drum up a protest.Pathetic and totally misleading.Stick to selling sausages and off beat humour on this board and i will stick to doing what i was elected democratically to do.

[/quote]

Now Tilly my sweetest darling you could well be right my eyesight has never been one of my strongest points , to think that you have dedicated this post to me , just to little old me , I err,,err,, forgive me I am,,err, I am overcome with emotion , I will read this post over and over again for weeks and weeks and cherish it forever . Tilly you are so magnificent when you are aroused , I never thought for one moment that you were capable of such emotion , such a wonderful beast . I sink to my knees with humble apologies on my lips , asking for forgiveness from one such as yourself . If I promise to never mention your meeting with Smudger regarding the proposed protest being drummed up by Smudger can I gain your forgiveness ? I am also prepared to throw in the promise that I will never ride my bike in the dark without lights . o k friends ?you lovely old boy ....arrdee.

[/quote]

I''d forget it if I were you.  It''s just a retired constable living in NR5.

Evenin'' all.  But in it''s own way it is terribly, terribly important.

[/quote]

Yawn,yawn,yawn.

“:o)” I appreciate you don’t know me either but I am not known for “posting to try to cause trouble” except by those who don’t like me disagreeing with them. Listing your protests seems a strange way to qualify your support for the club but I’ll join in if I can be your friend! [;)] I was not involved in the Worthy Out protests except for getting involved in the awful scenes in the Lower Barclay when fans were cheering opposition goals. Where as I agreed that a change was probably due I disagreed with much of the stuff levelled at Worthington and thought that he had done well in the main with the money he had been given. I also felt that this board hadn’t backed him at a couple of crucial times (namely Ashton - Hulse/Howard). This is not said with hindsight, you will find these views from me if you search back through this message board. The Chase Out protests were different because Chase really alienated the fans in his last year but it was twice bitten three times shy for me. Having already protested twice against Chase over the sacking of Ken Brown and then selling Townsend and Linighan and only buying Polston, Blades and Woodthorpe. In fact I went to the EGM at St Andrews Hall to protest about the sacking of Ken Brown. It’s the only A/EGM I have ever been to in over 25 years as a shareholder, I prefer going to games. (I may go this year, I’m not sure, however I’ll definitely go to Bristol) Chase had been proved right by our subsequent successes and me and my protests proved wrong. So whilst I was as disappointed as everyone else at our fall from grace in the mid-nineties I never joined in the hatred toward Big Bob who I believed to be a true fan and to this day I do not believe all those stories that whipped up so much hatred about him lining his pockets with the clubs cash. I don’t know how old you are :o) but I also remember the “No Reeves No Future No Fans” protest against South, who was my favourite of all the Chairmen of my time. South took over the club, got Bond in and seemed to find the money for some of the best players in the land. Goodness only knows how he did it, especially after the Watling years of prudence with prudence. I would never have protested against Sir Arthur. And back in the sixties I’m afraid to say I joined in the zigger zagger chanting at Geoffrey Watling although in my defence I was only 11 and didn’t know what it meant. It’s like that with kids, they love a good protest, look how many chanted with you on your Worthy Out marches.

Now getting back to the present I agree that we need more cash to be successful and in the short term it would appear that with our finances survival in this league is not the “gimme” that our proud history over the last 50 years deserves. But I don’t have that cash and I doubt you do. Smith & Jones are surely richer than Chase and have surely invested more than all the other owners put together. But it’s not enough. They have stated they are looking for investment but they have also stated they won’t sell to anyone with the wrong motives. Never mind what “you have to believe”, do you trust them? I asked the other day if fans really cared who they sold to and those that answered seemed to be of the opinion that they’d be happy if the devil owned the club so long as he spent millions on the team. Is that your opinion?

I fail to see how a protest will help us get more investment, and I fail to see where hounding out Smith & Jones, as some have suggested on this thread, will achieve anything.

I see Smudger wants you to send out a questionnaire to your members now. Why don’t we give it a dummy run on here to see where this threads dummies stand. I don’t mind starting.

1) Are you happy with the football which has been on display at Carrow Road over the last 3 and a half years? I loved a lot of the stuff in early 2005 but it’s been going downhill ever since. However there have been signs of improvement this season.

2) Do you support a protest at this moment in time against the current board of directors? No.

3) If you do not support a protest against the current board at this moment in time, then when would you? None of Smudgers choices. I would only support a protest if it was proved that they had spurned investment that I believed was acceptable and for the long term good of the club.

At the January transfer window when little money is spent yet again? If so less than how much £1 million/£2 million/£3million/£5 million I think that’s a stupid question so my equally stupid answer is if we sold Fotheringham, Doherty and Cureton for 5m each I would expect no loss to be shown in the accounts next year and at least 10m invested in the team.

4) What position in the league do you think is an acceptable position for NCFC to finish this season? This season maybe 12th but more importantly enough points not to have to be looking over our shoulders in the spring. 1st would be acceptable too.

5) If you do not see a protest as the way forwards the what other suggestions do you have? (open question) Well maybe instead of demanding more from millionaires who already invest in the club we could try demanding some from those who don’t? At least it would give them a taste of what to expect if they do invest.

Well Nutty I like your pedigree and I like the sense that you write.

These guys who want the Smiths to resign have no one to put in their place and in the vacum following their resignation all that would happen would be that the Bank would apply to the Court to appoint an Administrator to protect their mortgaged assets, the club would be sold off and Norwich would cease to exsist  in a form that could challenge for anything.

Thank goodness the shareholders are sensible. Any vote against the Smiths at the AGM will be voted down by an overwhelming majority on a show of hands and that is how it should be too. IMO the majority of fans just want their club to play entertaining football and want to have an enjoyable Saturday out with their mates, their sweethearts and their children.

On the ball City!

Right Nutty this is my last response to you as I believe this is a public debate rather than two wizened old fans both recalling past glories and troubles in some effort to outdo each other!

I gave you my protesting background as I knew that someone would point to that if I tried to come across as too concillatory.  The fact is that in my 40 plus years of following City I on the whole have enjoyed whatever I have watched, be it the heights of Premier League and Europe or last ditch survival matches with Iwan coming good.

Equally I agree that we have to remember our place in the food chain and that all "crisis" are relative and I for one agree that Sir Arthur was the best chairman when you look back but he certainly had his share of blunders.

So as I said do we protest?  Which I recall I said probably not.  Still may be too much on the fence for you but I think it is difficult to be black or white in many things and following City certainly has its grey moments.

I think when all is said and done you are a fan who thinks matters through, and has forthright opinions.  To me that puts you firmly in the same grouping as Smudger.  The end conclusion may be different but only history will show which of you is right.

You will not shake me from my view that no football club should be dominated by a single individual, and equally I concede that I have lost that battle, at least in most big name clubs I fear it will never change unless some future credit crunch causes them to be nationalised (now there is an interesting debate).

Moreover you will not shake me from my view that the ridiculous TV fees from Sky and a soon to be bust Setanta, have made getting back into the Premiership totally impossible without major financial injection.  When you compare the Portsmouth wage bill of £60m to our breakeven of £5m you see that even Peter Cullum is not big enough.

So have Delia and MWJ got it wrong?  Only in one way in that they like many credit crunched households they have hidden from the facts that they have not got enough money.

They have left it too late and now with the current economy I agree that there are probably not enough investors out there for "little old Norwich" to cash in.

So is there a need for a protest, probably not, but will it increase public awareness and get a few quid extra for City in a future share issue possibly.

So maybe we can put aside the preening of our feathers and maybe have a pint to discuss how the lessons of yesteryear can move City forward in the future.

Right whatshisface or whatever your name is.. are you some kind of prefect on here or what[:^)] I am not posting to try to "outdo" you, and I certainly wouldn''t have a hissy fit and refuse to respond to you. It''s healthy to discuss issues on here and all the more healthy if those discussing them are not singing off the same hymn sheet. Oh and I thought we were having a debate in public. The protesting background of us both is entirely relevant as it helps show where we are coming from with our points of view. There were a couple of threads on here a while back where posters were measuring their pedigrees by whether they were in The Barclay V Man. Utd in ‘77 or at Brighton in ‘83 so that may make us feel a little easier about our “protest badge” collection.

I said earlier in this thread that Smudger and I rarely agree about anything but it seems we are the only ones with an opinion on this thread. Nothing that has been posted since has changed my mind. And nobody else has bothered to respond to Smudgers mini questionnaire either. Maybe all the rest are closet Smudgers or even closer nuttys[:O][:#] Maybe people are afraid to have an opinion in case history proves them wrong? But in a few years time I doubt we will be able to look back and see who was right. I said earlier that history proved wrong the protesting against Chase after he sacked Ken Brown but only because then followed the greatest period in our history. Has history proved the Chase Out protests right? Not according to many on this board because it paved the way for Smith and Jones. And has history proved the Worthy Out protests right? Not if you consider it paved the way for Peter Grant. History is unlikely to prove either side right.

I wouldn’t want to shake you from your view that the club should not be dominated by a single individual. Sometimes I have that view too. It’s Delias view for sure and that’s why they put their team in place. However sometimes I think it becomes muddled when there is a conflict of interest between the various parts of the team. And that makes me think Chases “all singing all dancing” way can be best too. So I’m not sure, I think the team is best in as much as it should help avoid the kind of disaster that ended Chases reign.

I agree with your view about the ridiculous TV money but I completely blame the FA for that state of affairs because they failed to look after the interest of the game as a whole by putting their name on the breakaway Premier League. The word spineless has been bandied about by posters on here recently but in my book the FA have full rights to that title.

See, we agree on much more than me and Smudger do! But of course you’re not talking to me anymore[:#]

Just an update for those who are interested.After 48hrs the response to contacting me about all supporters groups meeting up before the club AGM is as follows

E-Mails 1 Telephone Calls 0

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Just an update for those who are interested.After 48hrs the response to contacting me about all supporters groups meeting up before the club AGM is as follows

[/quote]

Don''t you think they are interested then?

Could it be that no one is interested in a revolution just yet?

The queen is dead long live err err.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Well at least you tried, may we ask who did bother to respond?

Opinions are like a**e holes, everyone has one [:)]

That''s my thought for the day, now off to do dumplings to go with the stew, if anyone wants any, tea is at 4-30pm [:D]

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. [:)]

That''s mine, and I bet my tea''s not ready before 6pm at least. And it''s cottage pie [:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

That''s my thought for the day, now off to do dumplings to go with the stew, if anyone wants any, tea is at 4-30pm [:D]

[/quote]

I love stew and dumplings [:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. [:)]

That''s mine, and I bet my tea''s not ready before 6pm at least. And it''s cottage pie [:)]

[/quote]

And I know its arrdee''s steak mince involved @ £1-50p a lb....[Y]....arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s mine, and I bet my tea''s not ready before 6pm at least. And it''s cottage pie [:)][/quote]

And I know its arrdee''s steak mince involved @ £1-50p a lb....[Y]....arrdee.[/quote]How much is that a Kilo for us youngsters arrdee? [6]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s mine, and I bet my tea''s not ready before 6pm at least. And it''s cottage pie [:)][/quote]

And I know its arrdee''s steak mince involved @ £1-50p a lb....[Y]....arrdee.[/quote]How much is that a Kilo for us youngsters arrdee? [6]

[/quote]Surely Pink-un posters are eligible for some sort of discount!  [:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

oooh arrr stew & dumplins... now you''re talkin... [:D]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Surely Pink-un posters are eligible for some sort of discount!  [:)]
[/quote]

Yes of course you are Andy and I hope you know that arrdee looks after all you posters . Now Lapp if I could just make reference to this youngster thing , could I ask you to stop bringing those old 10 bob notes over to pay for your meat , the banks wont change anymore , for goodness sake however many have you got ? Its like a nightmare trying to cash up at the end of the week....[:|]....arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

And I know its arrdee''s steak mince involved @ £1-50p a lb....[Y]....arrdee.[/quote]How much is that a Kilo for us youngsters arrdee? [6][/quote]Surely Pink-un posters are eligible for some sort of discount!  [:)][/quote] Yes of course you are Andy and I hope you know that arrdee looks after all you posters . Now Lapp if I could just make reference to this youngster thing , could I ask you to stop bringing those old 10 bob notes over to pay for your meat , the banks wont change anymore , for goodness sake however many have you got ? Its like a nightmare trying to cash up at the end of the week....[:|]....arrdee.[/quote]Nothing wrong with the ten bob notes arrdee, it''s the thripney bits and the farthings in the change you give me that cause the problems! [:$]