Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Its all Roeder's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly sorry if this has been highlighted before, but our current position with a strikeforce about as useful as a chocolate fireguard is only one person''s fault, Glenn Roeder''s!

He let Huckerby go, knew Dion was retiring, he knew there was a chance he would not get Evans back, he had been with the squad for about 7 months come the end of the season, long enough to assess the strikers/forward players at the club, and I would assume at some point around the end of the season he would have been informed of his transfer budget.

Does Roeder have any commonsense?  He knows we have Cureton, a striker who is useless without a big man, he also knew the rest of our strikeforce is young and pretty much untried (Martin aside to some extent).

So what does he do?  Signs 2 young and fairly inexperienced (especially Koroma) strikers whose games suit playing with a targetman!!! FFS

We are now ploughing towards the end of August and the situation we are in with our strikeforce (or lack of) is ridiculous.

Funkin Genius isn''t it!

Go on you to, if you think you can find a good target man who is also very good with his feet for peanuts by all means go and work down with  him. On hardly any money he has some how pulled togeather a half decent squad, from just 9 first team players at the end of last season. You talk as though its easy, to be honest I''ve been quite impressed he has been able to get as many players in as he has which includes 2 strikers! Give the bloke a break I bet his bugdet was about £2m and he has brought in 11 players for about £1m, and most of then are quite decent. I would love to see how you to would have got on.

Go on BunnyB! I can sense there is more rage in you as yet :)

Must agree with you, considering this promise of he can get all the players he wanted IF he kept us up seems to be a pack of worthless lies ONCE again by the board, Glenn has done bloody well to restructure our whole defense, most of the midfield and brought in some promising strikers.

I guarantee had the likes of Cureton put away his chances this season, this topic would be more along the lines of "WELL DONE GLENN"

I agree that Roeder has done well so far considering what he has spent.

However, I think it is criminal that the area that needed addressing the most has not been sorted. We struggled for goals last season and knew we would only have one senior striker on our books. Roeder has said all along that he wants a target man, it is not something that since the season has started we have thought "we need a target man".

There are plenty of potential candidates around he could fit the bill - Iwelumo, Howard, Amoebi, Carroll, Henderson, Stead, Lee, Adebola, Kuqi, Iversen etc. I''m not suggesting that I would necessarily want some of the above here but they are all big strong strikers who are available for less than £2M (£2.5m in the case of Amoebi).

It seems that Roeder has decided that Iversen is the one he wants. However, it would seem that we are unlikely to get him until November....

I think we need to be looking at alternatives nd I find it simply staggering that another week has gone by and it looks like we will be going into the Cardiff game with Rusty as our main goal threat....Still I suppose we should be grateful the Doc is injured or else he would be playing up front......

I must admit the longer this goes on the more angry I get, with the deadline fast approaching, pretty much every club will now be alerted to our plight. This is certainly not the time to be in vital need of a big frontman. We have known since January that we needed someone pretty special, but to get nothing is a disgrace, a disgrace to us!

Yes and it was his fault we stayed up last season as well!! We are 2 games into the season lets just see if anybody comes before we get carried away. If you want Roeder out give me a realistic name who could do a better job.

No-one said they wanted him out. Just annoyed we still haven''t got a decent strikeforce. We''ve started the season with one striker who is actually ours and that is diabolical.

[quote user="The Saturday Boy"]Yes and it was his fault we stayed up last season as well!! We are 2 games into the season lets just see if anybody comes before we get carried away. If you want Roeder out give me a realistic name who could do a better job.
[/quote]

I remember alot of the nancy negatives wanted Jewell and were bleating when we never got him, where would that have left us.

That''s why i usually ignore the nancys and their superior knowledge.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Firstly our current position with a strikeforce about as useful as a chocolate fireguard is only one person''s fault, Glenn Roeder''s!

Does Roeder have any commonsense?  He knows we have Cureton, a striker who is useless without a big man, So what does he do?  Signs 2 young and fairly inexperienced (especially Koroma) strikers whose games suit playing with a targetman!!! We are now ploughing towards the end of August and the situation we are in with our strikeforce (or lack of) is ridiculous.

[/quote]

I tend to agree. We also have a few midfielders capable of putting the ball in the net, provided they get some assists. I always thought the decision to throw out Brown was hasty - I now think it was reckless. Admittedly Cullum''s "intervention" probably made signing any striker that much harder but the clear out, along with Strihavka, has left us exposed on the front line. Brown had a dreadful strike rate but as Bill Punton mentioned on the Scrimmage this evening, a finisher need not be a big man but we need a big man is needed to hold the ball and set up the finishers. When Iwan came his goal scoring rate was poor and he even got booed - but his value in setting up others soon became clear. Years ago David Cross began in the same way. Only when they were truly part of the team did they start scoring on their own account. Can''t help thinking we tried to use Brown more as a striker (or finisher) but in reality he got little service and relatively few appearances. He needed to work with a partner. And I really don''t see Jimmy FH fulfilling that role, even if he did rediscover his goal boots.

(Off thread - Bill P also questioned the lack of width on Saturday, the use of Pattison as a winger and why Russell didn''t start)

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Firstly sorry if this has been highlighted before, but our current position with a strikeforce about as useful as a chocolate fireguard is only one person''s fault, Glenn Roeder''s!

He let Huckerby go, knew Dion was retiring, he knew there was a chance he would not get Evans back, he had been with the squad for about 7 months come the end of the season, long enough to assess the strikers/forward players at the club, and I would assume at some point around the end of the season he would have been informed of his transfer budget.

Does Roeder have any commonsense?  He knows we have Cureton, a striker who is useless without a big man, he also knew the rest of our strikeforce is young and pretty much untried (Martin aside to some extent).

So what does he do?  Signs 2 young and fairly inexperienced (especially Koroma) strikers whose games suit playing with a targetman!!! FFS

We are now ploughing towards the end of August and the situation we are in with our strikeforce (or lack of) is ridiculous.

Funkin Genius isn''t it!

[/quote]

First class C**K.... thats right, yes it is coming to the end of august but we still have time to sign players. This post is just another complete tool expressing his dullest opinion. So although roeder hasn''t singed a striker hes built up a pretty decent midfield and defense.

Do you think the board have told him what he had to spend at the end of last season I really don''t, I think he''s had to battle of every penny spent! some people are more wrapped up in pointless opinions than to see the bigger picture do you really think 10months is long enough to establish yourself in a role at a club like norwich were money is hard to come by and for the past several seasons we have relied on Huckerby as our saviour?

[quote user="Have Heart"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

So what does he do?  Signs 2 young and fairly inexperienced (especially Koroma) strikers [/quote]

some people are more wrapped up in pointless opinions than to see the bigger picture do you really think 10months is long enough to establish yourself in a role at a club like norwich were money is hard to come by and for the past several seasons we have relied on Huckerby as our saviour?

[/quote]

This not a "Roeder out" thread. The point was made that he knew a big striker was needed. He knew Ched Evans was unlikely to return - and yes he knew "Huckerby our saviour" was going. He has packed the midfield and bolstered the defence (with some pretty good player IMO). But a glance at the stats last year show that our problem was scoring goals - more so than leaking them. If he gets the big man before the window closes then great - but he should have been in for the start.

So on the one hand you are complaining that he''s got in young, stopgap strikers, but on the other hand are complaining that he''s not signed any old striker just to boost our numbers? We are all aware that he has identified several strikers, but for whatever reason, they haven''t happened yet.I''m glad Roeder is taking his time and not panicking. As our most successful manager of recent times said (paraphrasing), we could get in 5 strikers tomorrow but there''s no point if they''re not good enough? Is this what you''re suggesting? This certainly doesn''t seem Roeder''s style, and I for one am glad.Im sure you''re not stupid enough to really think Roeder has been sitting on his arse, not trying his hardest to get in decent targets (bearing in mind he has a budget to stick to), and doesn''t have the common sense to realise that strikers are a priority, so I think you must just be venting your frustration about the current squad and our poor start. That''s understandable, but let''s at least wait until the end of the transfer window and see if he manages to get his men, before we start another managerial witchhunt eh?

In fairness this has been one of the major problems with the club in recent years; not replacing players we let go. We let Malky go, which was a big mistake IMO, and we never replaced him as a commanding leader at the back. We let Roberts go, okay, we replaced him with Ashton, but then who replaced him untill Dublin arrived? And now... who has replaced Dublin? Nobody.With the exception of Hux being replaced by a similar player in the shape of Hoolahoop, what players we have let go have been replaced by decent replacements? Not many.Roeder knew Dublins was leaving months ago, and had plenty of time to bring in a player as a replacement. I agree that we should bide our time and bring in the right man as opposed to desperately signing an average joe as a panic buy - that''s what loans are for. Roeder has the right idea with the loan market and such, and we just need to have faith in him that he''ll find us the right man to lead us forward.Waiting isn''t great, but if you look how rubbish we were last season, untill the run we had near the end under Roeder, then you''ll see that we need to give the squad some time to gell and get together.So lets get behind the boys and try win some points in Cardiff, even if Rusty is our make-shift striker, at least he knows where the net is!

I shiver when I think about a possible injury to Rusty... We just do not have anybody up front who can hold it. I think GR has really made a big mistake!

Yes the defense is stronger but Goals Win Games (ref. Cricket: Catches Win Matches)

Stop kidding us GR, we''re in the dolldrums because of your EGO

Who in the Championship has signed a top striker so far this season? No-one, apart from Birmingham, with Phillips, using the para payments. Have you ever stopped to wonder why, or is the easy route of blaming the manager more your style? And if we narrow the field further, to a top striker who''s 6''1" and above, any ideas who''s available who would fit that bill? Apart from the ones that Roeder''s desperately tried to sign, of course.

Roeder is binding his time to get the correct type of striker here for the type of football we play now. I would rather wait and get the right one in than panic and get anyone in. I think Roeder has done a fantastic rebuilding job so far. The jigsaw isnt completed yet and when it is we will be a good team playing good football.

[quote user="Jack-a-nack-a-nory"]Roeder is binding his time to get the correct type of striker here for the type of football we play now. I would rather wait and get the right one in than panic and get anyone in. I think Roeder has done a fantastic rebuilding job so far. The jigsaw isnt completed yet and when it is we will be a good team playing good football.[/quote]

Let''s hope he has an A, B and C list of big striker transfer targets then, because if he''s been concentrating all his efforts on just players on an A list, and he fails to nail that man down, we will be left up s**t creek without a paddle. Oh, I know, let''s just make do with what we have - Rusty will have to continue the excellent job he''s doing as a makeshift striker.

Roeder is just biding his time, could never ever make an error of judgement, it doesn''t matter that he has only 10 days to bring in a targetman, the wonderful board have supported him fully 110%, there are barely a handful of targetmen available throughout the whole world within our budget yet no-one knows what our budget is, and if we don''t get a targetman it will be nobody''s fault and we will be A ok and won''t get relegated.

Yes, I am being flippant, but in essence most of the above appears to be what some are saying in their reply to my original post.

I totally disagree with some responses on here and can''t see how some people can believe it.

Give me strength!

[quote user="Old Boy"]Who in the Championship has signed a top striker so far this season? No-one, apart from Birmingham, with Phillips, using the para payments. Have you ever stopped to wonder why, or is the easy route of blaming the manager more your style? And if we narrow the field further, to a top striker who''s 6''1" and above, any ideas who''s available who would fit that bill? Apart from the ones that Roeder''s desperately tried to sign, of course.[/quote]

phillips was a free agent,and look who Covevtry brought in, but I blame the board they knew Dion was retiring before Roeder came 

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]Who in the Championship has signed a top striker so far this season? No-one, apart from Birmingham, with Phillips, using the para payments. Have you ever stopped to wonder why, or is the easy route of blaming the manager more your style? And if we narrow the field further, to a top striker who''s 6''1" and above, any ideas who''s available who would fit that bill? Apart from the ones that Roeder''s desperately tried to sign, of course.[/quote]

phillips was a free agent,and look who Covevtry brought in, but I blame the board they knew Dion was retiring before Roeder came 

[/quote]

You can''t just blame the board, Roeder is the manager it was widely reported that Dion was retiring.  The only way you can blame the board is if they said to Glenn there are NO funds to bring in a targetman.

And yes you should always try to get the best quality at the best price but sometimes when you are desperate (as we are now) that isn''t always possible.  And as teams know we are desperate will they up their valuations.

And sometimes nearly anything is better than nothing.  If we are resorting to playing Rusty upfront and don''t sign anyone, then I would suggest that Chris Brown would have been better than that or (even though I don''t rate him) Andy Bishop. 

So Glenn, you ain''t going to be able to do much until after the Bank Holiday so if you still aren''t getting anywhere with Iversen, for god sakes just drop it and just get someone in.  Whether that is Ameobi on loan until January or Bishop we MUST get someone before this window closes.