Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Cardiff this Saturday

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

apologies. we drew at watford. and apart from the gut-wrenching trip to Bristol was probably my best match

[/quote]

I came away from Watford wondering how on earth they were in the automatic promotion places. The point we won was our last away from home, in fact we only picked up another 9 points in those next 10 games. But what is more remarkable is that Watford only picked up another 8 and still scraped the play-offs!

[quote user="Kingy"]

Are u going Saturday Nutty Nigel?

[/quote]

No, that''s what I was saying. But I wish I was!

I think I will miss a few this season.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="Hooleyfan"]

I go to a good few away games every season and always look out for the new grounds( and the regular favourites) when the fixture list is published, but Cardiff  has never been one of those. Too many people have said that it is a terrible place to visit, some of it down to the mentality of Cardiff fans...so unless someone can recommend it, (other than in hindsight after a 2-0 win), I will continue with my plans to go on my hols to Cornwall and not take a detour over the Severn Bridge.

[/quote]

At the moment I am struggling to find a hotel in Wales. Someone has told me that Madonna is playing there as well - not for Cardiff, I suspect!

[/quote]

I thought I read elsewhere that the prima donna had left Cardiff and was training with us

[/quote]

I am going to the Cardiff game and the Madonna gig (bit of an expensive weekend this one!) but the closest hotel I could get was one in Bristol. Currently I am expecting the evening to be more enjoyable than the afternoon, had better be as the gig ticket cost about 7 times as much!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Badger. Try Brecon or Buith Wells. There some decent hotels there and a good run into Cardiff[/quote]

They''re miles away - there are so many hotels in Cardiff. Newport is 15 minutes away so try there if you have no luck.  They don''t tend to like Cardiff either, but it is a shi*hole.

I work in Cardiff and can name 20 hotels that must have space.  Cardiff is also a hell of a good place for a night out or a meal, depending on what your after. And very good looking women as well if you like the Catherine Zeta Jones look.  Curly Brunette hair and olive skin.....

Cardiff itself is ok, Ninian Park is a dump (though I think it is the last season there - ?) and is in one of the rougher parts of the City.

Cardiff fans can be rough but we''ve gone for the last 4 seasons and seen no trouble at all (and worn colours to/from the ground)

You can be home in time for Match of the Day if you go straight up onto the M4 and not back through the City Centre.

Unfortionately I can''t make it this season as I''m going to the Reading Festival but for some reason I always enjoy going to Ninian Park, it has a traditional feel about it, a fairly lively atmosphere and being the last season before they move to the new ground it is a dying breed of stadia. Personally I''ve never had any trouble there although the locals can be a bit intimidating at times - I once had the misfortune of going to Cardiff v Reading with a mate of mine who supports Reading and THAT was scary!!! [8o|] [:^)]

[quote user="Be Smart "]

You would have to pay me to go there, last season ended up with a split lip, black eye, and a bloody nose.

Very friendly the locals.[:@]

[/quote]

go looking for trouble and you''ll find it....

jas :)

[quote user="Muddy funster"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Badger. Try Brecon or Buith Wells. There some decent hotels there and a good run into Cardiff[/quote]

They''re miles away - there are so many hotels in Cardiff. Newport is 15 minutes away so try there if you have no luck.  They don''t tend to like Cardiff either, but it is a shi*hole.

I work in Cardiff and can name 20 hotels that must have space.  Cardiff is also a hell of a good place for a night out or a meal, depending on what your after. And very good looking women as well if you like the Catherine Zeta Jones look.  Curly Brunette hair and olive skin.....

[/quote]

Doesn''t appear to be, I have managed to get a bookinh off ebay for a hotel called the Mercure, which also appears to be called The Lodge? Do you know it? Not expecting the Hilton but hope it''s not a hole or too far from the Millenium Stadium.

Hello B-B, I stayed in a Mercure hotel in Stuttgart last week, big hotel chain, nothing fancy but rooms well appointed and staff friendly, all over Europe.

OTBC   

[quote user="Ex-greenoschin"]

Hello B-B, I stayed in a Mercure hotel in Stuttgart last week, big hotel chain, nothing fancy but rooms well appointed and staff friendly, all over Europe.

OTBC   

[/quote]

thanks mate

Muddy funster, WeAreYellows49, Bury Yellow, Yellowngreen + any others, thanks for your help re hotels. I tried all the obvious websites and less obvious ones to little avail - I couldn''t find anything in South Wales - even if I travelled further West.

I ended up in Bristol - not too bad though, seeing its a bank holiday, I thought I might take Mrs badger and the cubs exploring!

[quote user="Badger"]

Muddy funster, WeAreYellows49, Bury Yellow, Yellowngreen + any others, thanks for your help re hotels. I tried all the obvious websites and less obvious ones to little avail - I couldn''t find anything in South Wales - even if I travelled further West.

I ended up in Bristol - not too bad though, seeing its a bank holiday, I thought I might take Mrs badger and the cubs exploring!

[/quote]

We got two rooms in the Park Plaza for Friday night in Cardiff; they still had a few more left if you fancy changing. 

Anyway Bury Yellow and I will be in the bar from about 6pm, moving out for a curry and then back to the bar again, during this time there will be absolutely no moaning about the board, players or any such nonsense ;-)

[quote user="Bury Green"][quote user="Badger"]

[/quote]

We got two rooms in the Park Plaza for Friday night in Cardiff; they still had a few more left if you fancy changing. 

Anyway Bury Yellow and I will be in the bar from about 6pm, moving out for a curry and then back to the bar again, during this time there will be absolutely no moaning about the board, players or any such nonsense ;-)

[/quote]

No you will be celebrating the first away win of the season!

I can''t change Bristol - would lose my money. Very rude of me - but can I ask how much a room cost?

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="Bury Green"][quote user="Badger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No you will be celebrating the first away win of the season!

I can''t change Bristol - would lose my money. Very rude of me - but can I ask how much a room cost?

[/quote]

£120 including breakfast so let’s hope you are right and we get a win.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]Call me fickle if you like but I''ve decided not to go. We went to the Coventry match, a whole day out and about £150 in total (four of us)and I just can''t face another similar sum and more disappointment at Cardiff. IF the situation chnages in next couple of days and a decent striker comes in in time for Saturday then I''ll change my mind but there''s a limit to how much expensive and time consuming disappointment and frustration I am prepared to put up with. I am genuinely fed up with going to away grounds and coming away thinking "was that worth it" often to jeers from the home supporters season after season. If the club shows more commitment and loyalty to us the supporters and brings in a decent striker then I will reciprocate and carry on travelling to away matches.[/quote]

Agree with you,

Club first have to show respect for the commitment of the fans. I want to see my team perform. Even if we lose on the road and I can say afterwards we really lost to the better team today, makes me feel better than recent dissapointments. It less bitter than ..."We should''ve won, It should..blah,blah blah...., We played some good stuff but...).

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]

Doesn''t appear to be, I have managed to get a bookinh off ebay for a hotel called the Mercure, which also appears to be called The Lodge? Do you know it? Not expecting the Hilton but hope it''s not a hole or too far from the Millenium Stadium.

[/quote]

It''s fine there mate - just off the magic roundabout - loads of artistically arranged roadsigns on it, you''ll see. Taxi to Ninian Park from there though - not a bad thing!

[quote user="Muddy funster"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s fine there mate - just off the magic roundabout - loads of artistically arranged roadsigns on it, you''ll see. Taxi to Ninian Park from there though - not a bad thing!

[/quote]

Cheers Muddy, what about walking to the Millenium Stadium after the match, and then back to the hotel after the gig? Reasonable distance? and did you say taxi to the ground because it''s through dodgy territory? I usually go incognito to away games but my welsh accent ain''t up to much!

Some Welsh for you.

Hello, how are you today? - hello , fel ach heddiw? [:S]

Come on you yellows -  d arnat yellows [:)]

I will have a lager please -  Ca a lager blesio [B]

Where are the toilets? -  ble ydy ''r doiledau [:$]

I feel sick -  Balfala ''n adwythig [+o(]

[quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]

I am going to the match on saturday on the coach! could you tell me if there is a cafe or anywhere we could get a meal near the ground?

thanx

Not really - and the "catering" at the ground leaves a bit to be desired.

If you can find a chip shop, try a ''Clarks'' pie - local delicacy