Sign in to follow this  
Boba Fett

First Choice midfield quartet?

Well we have more than enough good midfielder''s now so what does anyone think will be the preferred line up and does this mean the exit for any of the current players. We have

Fozzy, Russell, Croft, Chadwick, Cligan, Hoolahan, Bell, Lappin and Patterson thats not including the youngsters..

My initial thought would be

Marshall

Semi   Doc   Stefanovic  Bertrand

Bell     Fozzy    Clingan   Hoolahan

Cureton   Lupoli

Subs - Rudd, Omozuzi, Rusty, Patterson, Martin

I would also imagine it may spell the end for Lappin and possibly Chadwick.

Thoughts??

the wingers are interesting, Roeder said last season wanted balance and not to be over run, Bell and Hoolahan aren''t players with great pace but both players who have good feet and are very clever in finding space inside and picking a pass unlike Hucks and Croft who are more out and out wingers who just run at their defenders

My first choice:

Bell Fozzy Clingan Hoolahan

My second choice:

Croft Rusty Pattison Chadwick

I''d let everyone else not named above leave.

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

the wingers are interesting, Roeder said last season wanted balance and not to be over run, Bell and Hoolahan aren''t players with great pace but both players who have good feet and are very clever in finding space inside and picking a pass unlike Hucks and Croft who are more out and out wingers who just run at their defenders

[/quote]

But theres pace in the right and left backs. I think the formation works well.

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

Bell and Hoolahan aren''t players with great pace but both players who have good feet and are very clever in finding space inside and picking a pass unlike Hucks and Croft who are more out and out wingers who just run at their defenders

[/quote]I heard that Bell was quite pacy and likes to take on players!I guess we''ll have to wait and see, but that midfiel looks A LOT stronger than last years, even without Huckerby!I''m feeling quite optimistic now!Cant wait for the season to start!!!!!

[quote user="xKevin82x"][quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[/quote]

But theres pace in the right and left backs. I think the formation works well.

[/quote]

i agree, Bell and Hoolahan tuck in and then Omozusi/Otsemobor and Bertrand overlap

How many times. A centre back pairing of Stefanovic and Doc will not work... neither have any pace.

Shackell or a new CB should partner Stefanovic.

Midfield... i would still have Croft as I rate him more than people on here seem to.

Fotheringham

Croft                                           Hoolahan

Bell

I beleive Donk and Stefanoanoanoanovic can work with two pacy full backs in play in the fizzy league. Lat season Dion and Donk Played better than Shacks and Dion, and Dion really had no pace.  Interestingly Cligan played centre half in a couple of the pre season games albiet as we had no choice but from the sounds of it did a tidy job so possibly another option there...

[quote user="Boba Fett"]

Marshall

Cureton   Lupoli

[/quote]wud rather have omuzusi than otsemobor any day

This is what I''m most excited about at the moment.  From the dark

days of Robinson and Hughes being a shoe-in every week, to the amblings

of Etuhu and Safri in his latter days, we finally now have a midfield

with true competition.  Glenn has already shown he''s not afraid to

change the team about as he sees fit, so everyone will need to be at

their best to make sure they get a place in the starting line-up...

I think Bell and Hoolohan have the flank places.  Fotheringham is captain so I think he will be in the centre as first choice which leave Russell and Clingon to fight over the last spot. The only issue is formation.  If we cannot get in another striker than I think we will go with one up front rather than waste a positon, giving the obvious formation of:         Russell     ClingonBell    Fotheringham   Hoolahan              Mr Striker

oh and anyone who still thinks Croft should start really needs to spend more time watching the games than eating pies! He has no end product and leaves a gap behind him which opposition wingers constantly exploit.  Roeder has evidently seen it, hence why he is a reserve.

[quote user="Boba Fett"]

Well we have more than enough good midfielder''s now so what does anyone think will be the preferred line up and does this mean the exit for any of the current players. We have

Fozzy, Russell, Croft, Chadwick, Cligan, Hoolahan, Bell, Lappin and Patterson thats not including the youngsters..

Marshall

Cureton   Lupoli

I would also imagine it may spell the end for Lappin and possibly Chadwick.

Thoughts??

[/quote]

Why does everyone put Fozzy in automatically even if he is captain? Shackell was captain and was left out.Left - HoolahanCentre - RussellCentre - Clingan/FozzyRight - BellGive Clingan a go and if he''s no good put Fozzy in. I think it''ll b vice-versa though, with Fozzy and Russell starting with Clingan waiting in the wings for a chance.

[quote user="JC"]
         Russell     Clingon

Bell    Fotheringham   Hoolahan

Mr Striker

[/quote]

Agree with this with a few minor changes

Fotheringham   Clingan

Bell       Russell       Hoolahan

New Striker

People may say that this means Lupoli is sitting on the bench, but at the end of the day he is not our player. So I think it would be better to try and get our own midfielders and striker working as a unit.  

At the moment:

Marshall

Semi Stefanovic Shackell Bertrand

Bell Russell Fotheringham Hoolahan

Lupoli Cureton

But we need another striker, and a centre back, then I will be happy and the starting XI will hopefully change slightly.

who says Roeder Will be playing 4 in the middle this season??? he has signed 5 midfielders of course

jas :)

These 5 man midfield''s are only based on our current squad, Glenn said to the press that his next objective is a big target man up front which means we will be playing 4 4 2 most of the time.

For me it has to be

Chadwick Fotheringham Clingan Hoolahan

I think chadders is the best right winger we have, however Bell may prove to be a better player, I''ve never seen him play so it''s hard to say. The fact he can play anywhere in midfield means he would make an excellent sub, but I can''t see Glenn bringing in a utility player to warm the bench, and he certainly won''t take Hoolahan off the left wing, so maybe he will stuck into center mid... could this be the end for Russell?

Great to see midfield competition! Couple of big names will be missing out on starting positions, the likes of Russell, Croft, Chadwick maybe, even Clingan may find himself on the sub bench a lot.

Will be very interesting times ahead!

Ipswich Are Scum!

"How many times. A centre back pairing of Stefanovic and Doc will not work... neither have any pace.

Shackell or a new CB should partner Stefanovic.

Midfield... i would still have Croft as I rate him more than people on here seem to.

Fotheringham

Croft                                           Hoolahan

Bell"

Spot on about the defence and Croft but I would have a Fozzy and Clingan midfield pair with croft on the right or if bell is better for balance (I don''t really know enough about him yet) then Croft is certainly more than useful as an impact sub at this level.

I wonder if GR is wondering about changing formation to the Dutch 4231?

Marshall

Semmy Omozusi Stefanovic Bertrand

Clingan  Fozzy

Bell               Lupoli          Hoolahan

BIG MAN

I like the look of it. Attacking with defensive cover. When the full backs attack the 2 holding midfielders can cover. Get a big man in to hold the ball up giving the 3 behind him the supply to feed off of.

With any 5 subs of GK Doc Shackell Drury Russell Croft Chadwick Cureton Martin and Patterson, the squad is now looking strong. Now for the forward.........

[quote user="Ipswich Are Scum"]

How many times. A centre back pairing of Stefanovic and Doc will not work... neither have any pace.

[/quote]Errrrrr....Malky and Flem anyone?!

i really like what Roeder has done with the midfield, i''d guess it''s the area of the pitch that suffers most injuries and suspensions so strength and depth is key, players will pick up injuries and bans throughout the season and everyone will get the chance to stake a claim at some point, if they do well they''ll stay in the team. Love It!!

While on paper it looks great to have this competetion all across the midfield, 8 into 4 won''t go !.

A club of Norwich''s size cannot sustain 4 midfielders being left and and unhappy each week.

Before the Sweden tour I would have had Croft down as being one to be moved on - but it was interesting to see that he started both games ahead of Chadwick.

Having said this,after the side has settled down over the first couple of weeks of the season- and Roeder''s first choices are established- if I were a betting man I would suggest that Russell and Croft may go before the August transfer deadline.

Can''t comment on my first choice, as I have not seen them play, I will wait to see how they perform, I have no real favorites as they are all Norwich players[:$]

No way will that be the end of Chadwich too, he is valuable and I reckon GR rates him highly.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

While on paper it looks great to have this competetion all across the midfield, 8 into 4 won''t go !.

A club of Norwich''s size cannot sustain 4 midfielders being left and and unhappy each week.

Before the Sweden tour I would have had Croft down as being one to be moved on - but it was interesting to see that he started both games ahead of Chadwick.

Having said this,after the side has settled down over the first couple of weeks of the season- and Roeder''s first choices are established- if I were a betting man I would suggest that Russell and Croft may go before the August transfer deadline.

[/quote]

Would have to agree with this and probably Lappin too. Don''t forget Bertand & Lupoli can also play in midfield! Don''t forget that there are also strong rumours regarding Gibbs coming back too. The sale of Rusty or Croft is likely to raise £700K or even more (Croft has been linked with Wigan at £1.5M!) and would add some much needed funds to our coffers.