Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

Thats it, thanks and goodbye Doc

Completely fed up with the Doc situation now.  Thanks for your time here, but if he''s holding the club to ransom, just show him the door. Bye Doc.

Gary Doherty may swap Norwich for California

By Neil Mason
Last Updated: 7:03pm BST 02/06/2008

The

future of Norwich City defender Gary Doherty is in doubt after reports

emerged that the one-time Republic of Ireland international might be

following Darren Huckerby to the USA.

The

Mercury News, the local newspaper for Frank Yallop''s San Jose

Earthquake outfit in California, had the MLS outfit in early talks with

the out-of-contract centre-half.

"The

Earthquakes are talking to Norwich City defender Gary Doherty about a

possible move to San Jose," the paper said. "General Manager John Doyle

said today the talks are in the early stages; the team has been looking

at a number of players to try to bolster its line-up and preliminary

talks with players often don''t lead to a signing.

"Doherty,

who is out of contract with Norwich, is said to be interested in a move

to Major League Soccer like teammate Darren Huckerby. The Quakes also

are interested in Huckerby but Toronto FC has discovery rights for the

Norwich star."

Speaking earlier this summer, Yallop

confirmed that Huckerby was very much on the club''s wanted list - but

their quest to bring the 32-year-old to California was hampered by the

fact that Toronto had first call on him.

However,

the suggestion that Norwich could be about to lose two of their senior

players to the MLS is likely to keep the City faithful firmly on edge -

certainly until the moment that manager Glenn Roeder starts to bring

new faces through the door at Colney.

Reports have

been circulating that Blackpool''s gifted winger Wes Hoolahan was bound

for Carrow Road due to Norwich exploiting a £250,000 get-out clause in

the player''s contract.

His potential arrival will

start to sweeten the bitter pill of Huckerby''s exit; news of Doherty''s

potential exit on a free will, you suspect, split opinion. But with

Dion Dublin making himself comfortable in a Sky Sports chair, should

Doherty indeed be California-bound the Norwich would have just one

senior centre-half on their books - Jason Shackell.

Speaking

at the end of the season Roeder suggested that talks with his two

out-of-contract players - Doherty and skipper Mark Fotheringham - were

heading in a positive direction.

Two weeks later and Fotheringham duly signed a new, one-year deal; Doherty has, however, proved rather harder to get.

"We''re working on that," was Roeder''s response when questioned as to the progress of the pair''s contract talks.

"We

have no reason to be thinking negatively," he added. "You''ll have to

wait; it''s a matter of time. But we''re very positive that the players

that we want to re-sign, will sign."

Given that

Roeder has, on more than one occasion, described Doherty as "a rock" in

his defence, the prospect of the 28-year-old leaving will not be a

palatable one.

never mind California.. he should try Scratby sands instead... much nicer up there on the north norfolk coast and only a few miles from California

jas :)

[quote user="AndyJR"]Completely fed up with the Doc situation now.  Thanks for your time here, but if he''s holding the club to ransom, just show him the door. Bye Doc.

Gary Doherty may swap Norwich for California

By Neil Mason

Last Updated: 7:03pm BST 02/06/2008

The future of Norwich City defender Gary Doherty is in doubt after reports emerged that the one-time Republic of Ireland international might be following Darren Huckerby to the USA.

The Mercury News, the local newspaper for Frank Yallop''s San Jose Earthquake outfit in California, had the MLS outfit in early talks with the out-of-contract centre-half.

"The Earthquakes are talking to Norwich City defender Gary Doherty about a possible move to San Jose," the paper said. "General Manager John Doyle said today the talks are in the early stages; the team has been looking at a number of players to try to bolster its line-up and preliminary talks with players often don''t lead to a signing.

"Doherty, who is out of contract with Norwich, is said to be interested in a move to Major League Soccer like teammate Darren Huckerby. The Quakes also are interested in Huckerby but Toronto FC has discovery rights for the Norwich star."

Speaking earlier this summer, Yallop confirmed that Huckerby was very much on the club''s wanted list - but their quest to bring the 32-year-old to California was hampered by the fact that Toronto had first call on him.

However, the suggestion that Norwich could be about to lose two of their senior players to the MLS is likely to keep the City faithful firmly on edge - certainly until the moment that manager Glenn Roeder starts to bring new faces through the door at Colney.

Reports have been circulating that Blackpool''s gifted winger Wes Hoolahan was bound for Carrow Road due to Norwich exploiting a £250,000 get-out clause in the player''s contract.

His potential arrival will start to sweeten the bitter pill of Huckerby''s exit; news of Doherty''s potential exit on a free will, you suspect, split opinion. But with Dion Dublin making himself comfortable in a Sky Sports chair, should Doherty indeed be California-bound the Norwich would have just one senior centre-half on their books - Jason Shackell.

Speaking at the end of the season Roeder suggested that talks with his two out-of-contract players - Doherty and skipper Mark Fotheringham - were heading in a positive direction.

Two weeks later and Fotheringham duly signed a new, one-year deal; Doherty has, however, proved rather harder to get.

"We''re working on that," was Roeder''s response when questioned as to the progress of the pair''s contract talks.

"We have no reason to be thinking negatively," he added. "You''ll have to wait; it''s a matter of time. But we''re very positive that the players that we want to re-sign, will sign."

Given that Roeder has, on more than one occasion, described Doherty as "a rock" in his defence, the prospect of the 28-year-old leaving will not be a palatable one.

[/quote]

dont blame him at all, has not been appreciated here, been given loads of stick, most of it unfair, and has probably been offered a crap deal to stay and realises he can get more dosh elsewhere.

[quote user="AndyJR"]Completely fed up with the Doc situation now.  Thanks for your time here, but if he''s holding the club to ransom, just show him the door. Bye Doc.

[/quote]

Ok ignoring there''s nothing wrong with him trying to get the best deal he can.

How do you know that he''s not been offered rubbish terms by the club and/or would like to stay for longer than they''re offering?

I''m not convinced the Doc is staying but if he was taking the p*ss then it''s up the club to draw the line somewhere.

Ive seen a nice stable for him up north, all the hay he could ever eat. He is taking the pi## demanding whatever he is asking. Hopefully he will be replaced with someone who can control a football.

Leaves us with Shax and Spillane at the back - so solid, crewe here we come

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]He is taking the pi## demanding whatever he is asking.[/quote]

How do you know what he is asking?

[/quote]

I dont, but if the club are''nt happy with it then I''m not. He was a top earner last year and underperformed in most games. He is deserving of a decrease in salary, as are most of the players who were lucky enough to remain at the club. If he wants money in his pocket he has to earn it. I''m actually proud of the club for once with this one.

The Doc might not be a world beater, but he''s by far the best centre back that we have. You can''t start to compare him and Shacks, Doherty is miles better.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]The Doc might not be a world beater, but he''s by far the best centre back that we have. You can''t start to compare him and Shacks, Doherty is miles better.[/quote]

theyre both crap

[quote user="Matt Juler"]The Doc might not be a world beater, but he''s by far the best centre back that we have. You can''t start to compare him and Shacks, Doherty is miles better.[/quote]

They are both poor footballers.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Leaves us with Shax and Spillane at the back - so solid, crewe here we come[/quote]Agree Zipper.  Considering the lack of numbers in the squad in general,let alone in the CB positions there is no way we can afford to lose yet another player, especially for nothing.To my mind we already need at least 10 players without losing anymore.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Ive seen a nice stable for him up north, all the hay he could ever eat. He is taking the pi## demanding whatever he is asking. Hopefully he will be replaced with someone who can control a football.[/quote]

Maybe it''s not just about money.  He''s been here long enough to see which way the wind is blowing ambitionwise.  Perhaps he''s waiting for a sign that things are going to change.  Why would he want to stay at a club that looks like relegation fodder? 

According to Frank Yallop''s local news...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/02/sfnnor103.xml

that''s a shame..I heard we plan to spend all of pre-season rehearsing defending the set pieces he gives away in dangerous positions at least times a match with his arms all over the forward..also what will the ball boys behind the opposition goal do now his headers from point blank range aren''t going to sail over or flash wide instead of going into the net or at least on target...  I reckon he''s only gone there to collect the balls after a Matty Pattinson shooting practice session... happy days there''s always Halliday ..oh no wait.... reckon Spillaine will have to fill in there instead.. or maybe Eagle ?.... after the teams selection at scum...nothing would surprise me..

Not surprised...he knows the inside info, and if its as good as Roeder has been telling us supporters...then why would Gary leave? I tell you why, because its not as good as Roeder made us believe...in fact its hilirious watching him squirm knowing the truth will come out sooner of later!!

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Ive seen a nice stable for him up north, all the hay he could ever eat. He is taking the pi## demanding whatever he is asking. Hopefully he will be replaced with someone who can control a football.[/quote]

Maybe it''s not just about money.  He''s been here long enough to see which way the wind is blowing ambitionwise.  Perhaps he''s waiting for a sign that things are going to change.  Why would he want to stay at a club that looks like relegation fodder? 

[/quote]

Becasue every club in the country is falling over themselves trying to get his signature and he is a quality CB? I dont think Roeder is the type of guy that would tolerate such behaviour. He is notoriously crap and its a relief his contract is up.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Leaves us with Shax and Spillane at the back - so solid, crewe here we come[/quote]Agree Zipper.  Considering the lack of numbers in the squad in general,let alone in the CB positions there is no way we can afford to lose yet another player, especially for nothing.To my mind we already need at least 10 players without losing anymore.[/quote]Agree with that. Last season Shackell looked the less accomplished of the two – for all his lack of finesse, the Doc actually put in some very solid performances last season. What we really need is an accomplished ball-playing centre-half to counterbalance Doc''s no-nonsense approach. There''s no way Doc should be good enough to be an automatic first choice in our team, but given the complete dearth of options at the moment, we can ill afford to let him walk away for nothing.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

Becasue every club in the country is falling over themselves trying to get his signature and he is a quality CB? I dont think Roeder is the type of guy that would tolerate such behaviour. He is notoriously crap and its a relief his contract is up.

[/quote]But did you note this line CanaryFan? Given that

Roeder has, on more than one occasion, described Doherty as "a rock" in

his defence, the prospect of the 28-year-old leaving will not be a

palatable one.
Unless Roder was in fact being factual in that a rock is entirely static, in which case I apologise Mr Roeder, your quite correct.

My opinion has always been that we need someone better than the Doc if we''re going to challenge at the top of league. But then with a good defender alongside him I think we''d be ok.

He''s not even close to being as bad as people like to think he is. The 3 weaker parts of his game are that he''s slow on the turn, he''s not a threat in the opposition penalty area and his dsitribution isn''t brilliant (although it''s not dire either).

Aside from those things he''s a pretty good defender. He reads the game well enough, his positional sense is good, he''s quick enough across the turf and people rarely beat him. Plus his performances are committed - he''ll chuck himself infront of anything.

agreed... how many games in that unbeaten run came WITHOUT shacks in the side but with the Doc? i havent had time to check now but i think it was a few.

Shacks is the weak link and the one we should offload imo

jas :)

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

Becasue every club in the country is falling over themselves trying to get his signature and he is a quality CB?

[/quote]

If he lets his contract run out at the end of June he''ll be available on a free.

[quote user="GJP"]

My opinion has always been that we need someone better than the Doc if we''re going to challenge at the top of league. But then with a good defender alongside him I think we''d be ok.

He''s not even close to being as bad as people like to think he is. The 3 weaker parts of his game are that he''s slow on the turn, he''s not a threat in the opposition penalty area and his dsitribution isn''t brilliant (although it''s not dire either).

Aside from those things he''s a pretty good defender. He reads the game well enough, his positional sense is good, he''s quick enough across the turf and people rarely beat him. Plus his performances are committed - he''ll chuck himself infront of anything.

[/quote]

I completely agree with you on this one.

@Jas - I think Doc played 12 games out of the 13 unbeaten - however Shackell played a lot of them too (not sure how many, maybe he played in 12 too...)

I''d say good. No matter how much pressure we''d be under to get another CB I think Doc has signalled all that has been wrong about the last 3 seasons of norwich. We''ve got rid of Brown and Hughes and robinson and jarrett and colin and MLJ and others. If we really do want change an re-building then doc has to be shown the door. He''s a mid-bottom half championship defender and not the guy at back who can turn us back towards the top again. So, bye Doc thanks for being an intergal part to one of the worst teams we''ve had in modern history.