Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Everton now interested in Lewis??

I think the majority of us on here new something like this was going to happen:

England new-boy linked

Having been linked with Wolves'' Hennessy, Everton are now believed to be interested in Peterborough ''keeper, Joe Lewis. The 20-year-old, a £400k capture from Norwich, was on the bench for England against Trinidad and Tobago last week and is now valued around £3m.

6 Jun | Source: The Sun

If I was Everton and had 3 million to spend on a keeper, I can think of lots I would go after first - Marshall for one.

I can''t honestly say he''s worth £3m now all of the sudden after sitting on the England bench for a meaningless friendly!!?[:S]

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

Since when has football had sensible values?  Maybe several years ago, but not now.

[/quote]

exactly

we quoted 7m for hennessey n teams actually willing to pay it

seems silly for a bloke who isnt even proven on the big stage bar few internationals.

no wonder we all buy foreign!

Some teams struggle to find keepers, it''s just how it is.  Therefore Values of young players like Lewis shoot up cos they are prepared to pay over the odds now to cover themselves  in the future

Oh dear! Lewis could be the next in a long line of players under different City managers and directors, that we''ve sold for considerably less than their true market value. There always seems to be this almighty rush to sell our talent as quickly as possible, so as to be grabbing the cash. I wonder if Glenn will admit to having made a mistake? I won''t hold my breath.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Oh dear! Lewis could be the next in a long line of players under different City managers and directors, that we''ve sold for considerably less than their true market value. There always seems to be this almighty rush to sell our talent as quickly as possible, so as to be grabbing the cash. I wonder if Glenn will admit to having made a mistake? I won''t hold my breath.[/quote]

If he had stayed with us his true market value would not have been £3m as he would not have been in the England team.....

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Oh dear! Lewis could be the next in a long line of players under different City managers and directors, that we''ve sold for considerably less than their true market value. There always seems to be this almighty rush to sell our talent as quickly as possible, so as to be grabbing the cash. I wonder if Glenn will admit to having made a mistake? I won''t hold my breath.[/quote]

How is 400k considerably less than his true value at the time we sold him. He had not played for our 1st team, so 400k for a 3rd choice keeper is good money. Football is littered with people who have been released for little or no money and then gone onto great things and commanded huge fees.

[quote user="Chunky"]

How is 400k considerably less than his true value at the time we sold him. He had not played for our 1st team, so 400k for a 3rd choice keeper is good money. Football is littered with people who have been released for little or no money and then gone onto great things and commanded huge fees.

[/quote]Here''s the problem,  many fans can remember Lewis being tipped (by Gunn and others) to go the top, Prem standard.  Same as Green was.  Being sold for 400k feels like we''ve been robbed of a future star. Thats how it is.

We messed up here, plain and simple. The reason Lewis was our 3rd choice keeper and had a low value was because he was never given a chance. How many loan keepers did we have the season befroe last? If only Grant had given Joe a game, we would have all seen how good he really is. Look at Wolves, they gave a young guy a chance and he grabbed it with both hands.

I would wager Joe is as good as Marshall now, and will almost certainly go on to have a bigger and better career. As many said at the time, big mistake, and alreayd we''re being laughed at.

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"]
Here''s the problem,  many fans can remember Lewis being tipped (by Gunn and others) to go the top, Prem standard.  Same as Green was.  Being sold for 400k feels like we''ve been robbed of a future star. Thats how it is.

[/quote]

I take your point T W.

However you cannot place a value on future potential, you can only takes what is offered at the time. If we had retained Lewis'' services as 3rd choice keeper until his contract expired the chances of him signing a new one would have been remote. As under the age of 24 we would have been entitled to compensation and I doubt that would have been as much as 400k.

[quote user="Chunky"]

[/quote]

The real point here Chunky is the time span this has all happened in.

In the space of a few months firstly the Morecombe manager valued him highly, next the Peterborough manager to the tune of £400k, the England under 21 coach promoted him beyond his age group,  then no less than the Senior England Manager promoted him further and now it seems the Premiership Everton manager is interested.

All of these footballing experts could see the talent but our manager,  a loudly self  confessed knowledgeable and expert-spotter-of-youth-talent hastily got rid of him at the first opportunity !  Hardly inspires confidence, in my humble opinion.

we have a 20% sell on clause for Lewis, but more then this...i made a post after he was sold that 400k was way way too cheap for a player who had been selected for England, be it even as a space filler. Now valued at £3m we see that he was sold way way too cheap. And even with the 20% with equates to 600k does little to close the huge gap.

[quote user="Chunky"]

[/quote]

We payed 1 million for a third/fourth choice keeper from Celtic

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"][quote user="Chunky"]

[/quote]

The real point here Chunky is the time span this has all happened in.

In the space of a few months firstly the Morecombe manager valued him highly, next the Peterborough manager to the tune of £400k, the England under 21 coach promoted him beyond his age group,  then no less than the Senior England Manager promoted him further and now it seems the Premiership Everton manager is interested.

All of these footballing experts could see the talent but our manager,  a loudly self  confessed knowledgeable and expert-spotter-of-youth-talent hastily got rid of him at the first opportunity !  Hardly inspires confidence, in my humble opinion.

[/quote]

I don''t think it was a matter of that.  He hadnt seen him play when he sold him, we were bottom of the league and he needed the cash.

i personally think marshall has found his level

he is solid keeper at the level but cant see him stepping up to the premier

lewis you can though

i did say back in january to sell marshall 2m wigan then play lewis.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I did not want him to go, but at the time of him going, he was worth the money we sold him for, I don''t think that any one would disagree that he had potential and was going to move to bigger and better things, but not as quick as he has done. The one saving grace is that we have a good sell on clause for him.

Lewis would not have been worth this much, he had 2 goalkeepers in front of him and there was not much chance at the time of him breaking into the team and GR must have thought that the money for him was too good to turn down and that he was not going to get past Marsh and Gilks, thats football, we have done it before and we will do it again, like others football clubs do too. Nothing we can do now, just sit back and watch him progress and wait for the money to come in.

I must say though, well done Posh for taking tha chance, but with the links that Fergie senior and junior have, I imagine that this was pre planned.

He Will go to Manchester Utd for 3.5m next summer when edwin leaves! Why did we sell him?!? Madness!!!

[quote user="ELMO"]

He Will go to Manchester Utd for 3.5m next summer when edwin leaves! Why did we sell him?!? Madness!!!

[/quote]

I agree with him going to Utd.

Either Next Season Should Edwin Retire! If P''Boro Get Promoted They Will Keep Him For The Championship For One Season

[quote user="bunny"]

If he had stayed with us his true market value would not have been £3m as he would not have been in the England team.....

[/quote]

I''m not blaming Roeder entirely, the main mistake was made by Grant wasting £1 million on a keeper (a good keeper nevertheless) that we did not need instead of giving Lewis a go. I know Barry Fry can be prone to exaggeration, but didn''t he announce as soon as Lewis arrived that Peterborough had a future England keeper on their books, and he put a much higher valuation on Joe than £400,000 as well - just to rub Roeder''s nose in it. I still say we were much too eager to sell a prized asset at too low a price.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

I don''t think it was a matter of that.  He hadnt seen him play when he sold him, we were bottom of the league and he needed the cash.

[/quote]

Well all I can say to that CJF is that if he hadn''t seen him play then he damn well should have !

Surely before doing any deals in or out for his players a manager should be personaly aware of their capabilities.

As to needing the cash ? Well if he needed it at that time then what did he spend it on ? Perhaps taking the team and staff on a training trip to Europe perhaps ?

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"][quote user="bunny"]

[/quote]

I''m not blaming Roeder entirely, the main mistake was made by Grant wasting £1 million on a keeper (a good keeper nevertheless) that we did not need instead of giving Lewis a go. I know Barry Fry can be prone to exaggeration, but didn''t he announce as soon as Lewis arrived that Peterborough had a future England keeper on their books, and he put a much higher valuation on Joe than £400,000 as well - just to rub Roeder''s nose in it. I still say we were much too eager to sell a prized asset at too low a price.

[/quote]

Grant wanted him and to be fair we all did too. Just makes me wonder, paying a mil for Marsh or getting Alexandra on a free. Lets hope that Marsh improves a lot, he has the basic, the potential and for a goalkeeper is still young.

I wouldn''t have minded him leaving so much if we had signed Tiny Taylor or a striker with the money in January.

But seems a bit of a waste now.

If only PG had given him a game instead of loaning every available ''keeper and then being desperate to sign Marshy just because he was at Celtic. (having said that I do think Marshy is pretty decent but it was obvious PG went out of this way to sign him just because of the Celtic connection)