Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

who is going to want to come

I am very worried. Glen has had a major clear out and now needs LOTS of new players. But in recent seasons we have bid here and there and players just do not want to come to Norwich. Having got rid of our best player- what is the draw for other good players. Imagine you have no feelings for NCFC and are a prof. footballer with the ability to join a top CCC side. Look at our current staff and tell me why you would want  to come to a remote part of the UK and play for us?

Loans will be easier and I am guessing 5 of those at least. But full time useful players who are neither 37 or 15. Add to that the number of CCC clubs with cash to spend driving up the market- and I also ask where the money is coming from.

But I may just be having a negative morning!

i''ve said similar to this, im not saying players wont sign for you! but even if you had say 6m (figure plucked from the sky)

other teams similar situation and willing to spend that amount cash. they''ll be about 10teams with same budgets.

lets put it nicely 80% players prefer to sign with say birmingham (if relegated) than say norwich if offered the same deals/ similar deals

norwich cant afford to be picky this summer, they have to move quickly in the transfer market in my opinion

I agree with we8wba. We need to move quickly and secure targets to prevent being gazumped by teams with large bank accounts. But I do think the players are out there and available - all that''s needed is the cash to secure them.

Players such as Huckerby attracts other players. We don''t have any players that will inspire future signings. I think we will sign alot of loan players (Doomcaster will be pleased!) and foreigners who want to play in England. I can''t see any exciting players coming, no flare just hard workers like Fotheringham because he''s Roeders type of player and he would have 11 Fozzy''s if he could!

It won''t come down to how much we spend on a player. We offer as much as many teams. What will always hamper us in transfer dealing is our wage structure. Despite what some will tell you on here we don''t pay top dollar in this league in wages. And that''s always the stumbling block. Us or Sheff Utd, 6k a week or 12k. Players, good players don’t have to think too long.Then you have the free''s and the Bosmans. No transfer fee so clubs give big wages, right or wrong that is so and we just don''t follow suit. Yes that doesn''t leave you over a barrel with other player wages and contract renews I''ll grant you but it does leave you signing players like Patterson whilst the other team, those with ambition are pick up the cream on free''s.

We keep hearing about Roeders premiership connections.Lets hope his friends put in good words for the club whenever one of their players is on the way out.

Yes, we might well be deep in the brown and smelly stuff here. Not only will players be put off coming here by the fact that we don''t already have much of a nucleus of a good team, but there''s the old problem of East Anglia being perceived as rather remote and insular and far from the bright lights to contend with. Good luck, Glenn - you''re going to need it!

No the biggest obstacle is the geography. Put simply viewed from OUTSIDE it is not a fashionable place to live. And you do not see this from the inside becasue you know what a graeat place Norwich is. But trust me viewed from say London -Norwich is a remote backwater and cut off from proper roads and infrastructure to be very appealing.

I am a lifelong NCFC fan but even if I was a player I would have to think twice because my wife could not get employment of a similar type in Norfolk as she has in London. When I travel home to see parents you do notice a change in lifestyle from Thetford services on - don''t get me wrong I LOVE IT - it is an iniately better place with more emphasis on community, family etc.. but the average footy player will not see what I do  and will look for big clubs and trendy this and that etc and that is a major hurdle to clear.

Older players wanting to settle down will love it- but once you are at that stage a little of your hunger has died and THAT is the problem. We therfore need to target players from lower leagues with promise (as clubs size etc will overcome geography) or offer over the odds. Just my opinion!

It seems to be a big problem in the last few years both worthy & grant unable to get in the players they wanted and having to settle for 4th or 5th choice players, thats quite obvious by the way the team has played.

The problem is that most of the team or based around the midlands or london (with good road links) and as we don''t pay more than most it is an easy decsion for them, If a player moves from coventry to wolves the don''t have to move house, where as if they come to Norwich they have to upsticks, buy & sell a house, move kids out of schools and the Wags would nomally have a big say in it.

Football has changed, it not about the glory, the fans, first team football, its all money and more & more an easy life style for players.

Players will only come to Norwich if it is a step up in wages, have any connection to the club or are true to the game.

These players seem few and far between, and we do not pay high wages.

Apparently there''s a player now available, pacey, skillful, scores goals, loyal, takes 2 or 3 defenders out of the game, lives in Norfolk, no transfer fee involved.  Darren someone or other, I reckon we should go for him....

Wow, I didn''t know Darren Bent was available for free and lived in Norfolk. Or maybe you have a time machine and can get us Darren Huckerby from 4 years ago.

Its not really a massive clear out is it Huckerby and a bunch of kids that hardly ever got near the 1st team . We still have all last years impressive squad still in place .

Players from Premiership clubs on loan, lower league players with something to prove, players from abroad who want to break into the english game.........

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]agreed - roedy has a huge, and i mean, huge job on his hands here.  bringing in lots of players at once can go both ways.  hopefully upwards, and not downwards!!!
[/quote]

Trouble is we experienced the downside last summer when Grant brought in 8 or 9 players most of whom failed to settle and have already departed to new teams.

See also Leicester.

What we need is a period of stability where a team evolves over a period of time. The team that Worthy built a few years ago was a good example the nucleus of Green, Fleming, Malky, Drury, Mulryne, Holt, McVeigh, Roberts had all been together for 2 full seasons when Edworthy, Francis, Hucks, McKenzie and Svennson were added.

It is very rare that you can bring in 7 or 8 new players and they instantly gel into a good team. History indicates that as many as half of any players bought fail to live upto exectations and 1 or 2 will be total failures.

I agree with Roeder comments regarding a 3yr plan to get to the prem. It took Worthy 3 and a half years from a similar poor starting position!

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

I agree with Roeder comments regarding a 3yr plan to get to the prem. It took Worthy 3 and a half years from a similar poor starting position!

[/quote]It''s a shame Roeder won''t be given those 3 years though. A lot of fans expect/demand instant results, despite the facts. Roeder has made a good start and should be given the time to put together his 3 year plan

I''d like to think that Taylor will want to return but I think that others will be hard to persuade!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]agreed - roedy has a huge, and i mean, huge job on his hands here.  bringing in lots of players at once can go both ways.  hopefully upwards, and not downwards!!!
[/quote]

Hmm - I do seem to remember Leicester signing up every player in sight through last summer. Wasn''t it 13 or more? And look at how well their season went!

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]agreed - roedy has a huge, and i mean, huge job on his hands here.  bringing in lots of players at once can go both ways.  hopefully upwards, and not downwards!!![/quote]

Trouble is we experienced the downside last summer when Grant brought in 8 or 9 players most of whom failed to settle and have already departed to new teams.

See also Leicester.

What we need is a period of stability where a team evolves over a period of time. The team that Worthy built a few years ago was a good example the nucleus of Green, Fleming, Malky, Drury, Mulryne, Holt, McVeigh, Roberts had all been together for 2 full seasons when Edworthy, Francis, Hucks, McKenzie and Svennson were added.

It is very rare that you can bring in 7 or 8 new players and they instantly gel into a good team. History indicates that as many as half of any players bought fail to live upto exectations and 1 or 2 will be total failures.

[/quote]agreed stevie - but i think i''m right in saying roedy has been quoted as saying he''s looking to bring upto 10 players in!!! cud b wrong on that - who knows 4 sure, anyone???and yeah, a good core to build around/on would be good- but is that the case with the present city squad.  marshall - good shot stopper like greeno, doesn''t come out and claim crosses well - like greeno - but as good as greeno - not yet.   as for the central defence - the doc is capable when in top form, but takes a long while to get find it and get match fit, if dropped or coming back from injury.  in a small squad, this makes him a luxury.  shax - again, when on song the boy looks good - but he''s defo a confidence player - and when down - is error prone.  in the centre - fozzy and russell are good enough in this league when in form, but against the better sides can look exposed.  and up front - curo mostly wears a dropped head these days. in short - i truly believe adding to this backbone will not bring city success - major surgery is required.  but equally, to completely chop and change risks destabilising the squad to such an extent you end up with a mis-firing team that takes us back to square 1 -when roedy first arrived.  but, despite the hucks pr disaster - i still feel roedy has more to offer than grant and will get some good''uns in.  he and the board must have learned from jan window experience.

As a Norwegan that is a big Norwich fan, I have a problem seeng Norwich singning good foregn players. Norwich scots where in Norway taking a look at Robert Koren (now WBA) and Mikael Mifsud (now Coventry) but we dint give them a offer.

Dont think ouer scots have a clue what is going on outside UK.

In Norway smaller clubs then Norwich is fainding good player for litle money in Afrika, easter europa, US, Brazil and Costa Rica. So it is posible to find good players for litle money, I youst dont think we will. Sorry

[quote user="Olano"]As a Norwegan that is a big Norwich fan, I have a problem seeng Norwich singning good foregn players. Norwich scots where in Norway taking a look at Robert Koren (now WBA) and Mikael Mifsud (now Coventry) but we dint give them a offer. Dont think ouer scots have a clue what is going on outside UK. In Norway smaller clubs then Norwich is fainding good player for litle money in Afrika, easter europa, US, Brazil and Costa Rica. So it is posible to find good players for litle money, I youst dont think we will. Sorry[/quote]

But players who join teams in Norway do not require the same kind of work permits that they require here. It would be asy for us too if we had the whole world to choose from.

Possibly over-optimistic, but I am hoping that Roeder is going to be our trump card here. He managed to get some really top players on loan, and they''re going back to their clubs full of enthusiasm for their time at City. It''s obvious his contacts are better than any manager we''ve had here for ages, and he''s the only reason I hold out any hope of us getting any of thsoe Newcastle cast-offs.Imagine if we did sign Ameobi. Suddenly that suggests to other clubs and players that we do mean business, and might persuade others to venture beyond the dark and mysterious forest of Thetford...