Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

My season ticket dilemma

Started my season ticket today, upper Barclay.It became apparent after ten minutes that the person sitting next to me is one of the "classic" Norwich City fans, as in his conversation with his mate for the entire match consisted of quotes such as:"I''m not sure who I hate more, Huckerby or Doherty.""Camara is rubbish.""Oh, for god''s sake!""Russell can''t shoot or pass, but apart from that he''s okay.""Pattison is useless.""We''re rubbish, this is terrible.""We''ll be lucky to get nil."(my favourite one, after we got the equaliser...)"We''ll end up losing this 2-1."Now, here''s my dilemma.  Do I say something to him and invite a frosty atmosphere for the next ten home games, or do I just ignore him and hope he''ll have a brain transplant?  We''re supposed to be supporters, after all.

i''m afraid you lost my sympathy with your first line.... "started my season ticket today"

the person next to you has probably sat there week in, week out for the past ten years and sat through some garbage while you have only just joined up. he has every right to say what he wants so i suggest you just bite your lip.

[quote user="plan b"]

i''m afraid you lost my sympathy with your first line.... "started my season ticket today"

the person next to you has probably sat there week in, week out for the past ten years and sat through some garbage while you have only just joined up. he has every right to say what he wants so i suggest you just bite your lip.

[/quote]

Just because James bought a season ticket today doesn''t mean he hasn''t been going to games regularly throughout the season.

[quote user="James Maloney"]Started my season ticket today, upper Barclay.

It became apparent after ten minutes that the person sitting next to me is one of the "classic" Norwich City fans, as in his conversation with his mate for the entire match consisted of quotes such as:

"I''m not sure who I hate more, Huckerby or Doherty."

"Camara is rubbish."

"Oh, for god''s sake!"

"Russell can''t shoot or pass, but apart from that he''s okay."

"Pattison is useless."

"We''re rubbish, this is terrible."

"We''ll be lucky to get nil."

(my favourite one, after we got the equaliser...)
"We''ll end up losing this 2-1."

Now, here''s my dilemma.  Do I say something to him and invite a frosty atmosphere for the next ten home games, or do I just ignore him and hope he''ll have a brain transplant?  We''re supposed to be supporters, after all.
[/quote]

Move your ticket.

I used to be fairly negative, during the end of Worthy and Grant''s reign but am back to my old more positive supporting self now.

[quote user="Sherlock Holmes"][quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

Just because James bought a season ticket today doesn''t mean he hasn''t been going to games regularly throughout the season.

[/quote]

you maybe right, i doubt it, but you maybe right.still doesn''t mean that he can criticise his new neighbour after only being there for one game, so my suggestion is still to bite his lip.

[quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

are you complete muppet mate?

you should be greatful that fans are wanting to start up season ticket with your club

the more the merrier i say

would you be happier if you had crowd 14k just because there the only ones who gone for past 5years?

[quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

You weren''t sat next to James today at a football match in the east of England were you Plan B?

I sympathise with you mate. But there is this type of supporter all over the ground. So if you move somewhere else in the ground, there will probably be 1 or 2 close  to you again who will always have a moan at certain players. Especially when players try certain things that don''t quite come off , they are right on their backs. We all have different opinions on players and the way they are playing.  Just ignore them. They are pathetic.

Despite the result today i really enjoyed today''s match. We completely dominated from start to finish and created so many chances. Their keeper made some good saves and they did defend well. At least we played well and thats what counts. Roll on Saturday!  

[quote user="James Maloney"]Started my season ticket today, upper Barclay.It became apparent after ten minutes that the person sitting next to me is one of the "classic" Norwich City fans, as in his conversation with his mate for the entire match consisted of quotes such as:"I''m not sure who I hate more, Huckerby or Doherty.""Camara is rubbish.""Oh, for god''s sake!""Russell can''t shoot or pass, but apart from that he''s okay.""Pattison is useless.""We''re rubbish, this is terrible.""We''ll be lucky to get nil."(my favourite one, after we got the equaliser...)"We''ll end up losing this 2-1."Now, here''s my dilemma.  Do I say something to him and invite a frosty atmosphere for the next ten home games, or do I just ignore him and hope he''ll have a brain transplant?  We''re supposed to be supporters, after all.[/quote]

Completely agree with you re the whingers. It makes you wonder why they go to games as they will obviously never be satisfied! Just think yourself lucky you weren''t sitting there at the start of the season!

[quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]Did I say I haven''t been all season?  I''ve arguably been to as many games as him, but have only just got my half-season ticket.  So off your high horse and try again, mate.

[quote user="city til i die"]

I sympathise with you mate. But there is this type of supporter all over the ground. So if you move somewhere else in the ground, there will probably be 1 or 2 close  to you again who will always have a moan at certain players. Especially when players try certain things that don''t quite come off , they are right on their backs. We all have different opinions on players and the way they are playing.  Just ignore them. They are pathetic.

Despite the result today i really enjoyed today''s match. We completely dominated from start to finish and created so many chances. Their keeper made some good saves and they did defend well. At least we played well and thats what counts. Roll on Saturday!  

[/quote]Well said, I think that''s the way forward.  I''m not averse to a bit of a moan myself, but I found it surprising someone would bother to turn up just to be so negative towards the team he is supposed to support.Of course, it was probably Plan B.

[quote user="plan b"][quote user="Sherlock Holmes"][quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

you maybe right, i doubt it, but you maybe right.still doesn''t mean that he can criticise his new neighbour after only being there for one game, so my suggestion is still to bite his lip.

[/quote]

Elitist drivel.

It became apparent after ten minutes that the person sitting next to me is one of the "classic" Norwich City fans, as in his conversation with his mate for the entire match consisted of quotes such as:

"Camara is rubbish."

"Oh, for god''s sake!"

"Pattison is useless."

Now, here''s my dilemma.  Do I say something to him and invite a frosty atmosphere for the next ten home games, or do I just ignore him and hope he''ll have a brain transplant?  We''re supposed to be supporters, after all.
[/quote]

Come and sit with me in the City Stand  (Cathedral Lounge)......and have a nice nap, a lovely cuppa sweet tea (with those biccies that don''t stick to your dentures).......and watch the Directors perform......Marvellous.

You''ll get it whereever you sit.

A classic today from my area

"stop pissing about with it, always bloody sideways, get it forward"

Ball Played forward and lost, cue same person to say....

"stop hoofing it, we need to pass it"

Plus, similar moans about Jimmy Smith and Doherty.

Are you sure he''s a season ticket holder? I couldn''t go today, so gave my ticket to a mate. Might also be the case with him, or could that seat be used for casual tickets,?

If he is a season ticket holder, then I would bite your lip for the remainder of the season and casually persuade him not to renew if he doesn''t feel the team are getting it done.  Failing that, take the opportunity to change your seat in June when you will have the chance. 

Let us know how it pans out buddy!

city did well today - but like CJF said, move your seat at the end of the season.  anyways, there were different people behind me today - loadsa punters give their tickets up cos of xmas commitments - you might never see him again. maybe this geezer had a cruddy xmas and was on a downer before he started and had loads s**t to get off his chest.  after all, he''s moaning bout the team, and then u come on here bitching about him???  as another poster has said, if you think where u are is bad - try the N&P - or the half lifes in the city stand!!!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Come and sit with me in the City Stand  (Cathedral Lounge)......and have a nice nap, a lovely cuppa sweet tea (with those biccies that don''t stick to your dentures).......and watch the Directors perform......Marvellous.

[/quote]

So long as you are still awake!

P.S. Don''t make ANY noise, you might wake ''em up. [|-)][|-)]

Maybe you should both do player ratings after the match, and you can convince him not all the players are as terrible as he thinks?

It''s a tough one.  The bloke next to me is great, I got lucky there.  He''s quite funny and gets behind the team, even "50p head" as he calls Jason Shackell.

[quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

(rolls eyes)

[quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

What evidence do you have to back up the "past ten years" nonsense?  And how do you know James hasn''t been to other games?  I think he says elsewhere he has.  Fans like you would not be missed, mate. It''s all "oh, I''ve been here for years and so don''t have to support the team, I can slag them off because I''ve earned the right" - if that''s so, stay at home and do it to Radio Norfolk and let people with some pride in the team have your seat.

I''d write to the club and suggest a return to terracing. The biggest downside of all seater stadiums is that you can''t get away from these muppets. I couldn''t believe the number of people shouting at the players to lump it into the box yesterday, then complaining when said lump went straight on to the head of a Charlton defender. I''ve never understood why people pay so much money just to have a good moan - can''t they do it in front of the radio?

I thought we were pretty good yesterday - couldn''t finish them off, but if you compare yesterday''s performance to those of a couple of months ago...We really did have something to moan about then.

otbc

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Maybe you should both do player ratings after the match, and you can convince him not all the players are as terrible as he thinks?

It''s a tough one.  The bloke next to me is great, I got lucky there.  He''s quite funny and gets behind the team, even "50p head" as he calls Jason Shackell.

[/quote] Bloke next to me calls him Kryten Head… they obviously have the same opinion of his aerial abilities

I dont think it matters where you sit, you will have to put up with someone having a go about someone.  its the nature of the fans.  I say put up with it or give the guy some constructive crititism. ask him why he thinks that.  If you plan to sit there for a long time then get used to it.  there are one or two people around where i am in the upper barclay who get on players backs about nothing. all that gets is a laugh from the other fans.  I agree with a few people here,  you have only just got your season ticket?????  please dont question the fans who have had their tickets for several years,  you may upset a lot of peple in doing so.  but on a positive note, hope you enjoy the rest of the season, cos im looking forward to it.

[quote user="Optimisticcanary"]I agree with a few people here,  you have only just got your season ticket?????  please dont question the fans who have had their tickets for several years,  you may upset a lot of peple in doing so.[/quote]

Bless.

all i was saying is that you cant have a go at your new neighbour after only taking your seat for one game. right or wrong he can have a go at whoever he likes, its his opinion and he can express it, the same way that every one on this post has had a go at me for giving you a bit of harsh but fair advice. i dont like whingers as much as the next man but if someone came and sat near me, where i have sat for the last 9 years and start having a pop i if had the ocassional grumble than i would find that very rude and would tell them so. its very ironic that you have come on here moaning about him moaning, you asked for advice, some one gave it to you, but you didn''t like it, so whats the point of you asking the question in the first place? maybe its for the same reason why your new neighbour just complains throughout the game and that you both just like to moan .     

[quote user="plan b"] its very ironic that you have come on here moaning about him moaning, you asked for advice, some one gave it to you, but you didn''t like it, so whats the point of you asking the question in the first place? maybe its for the same reason why your new neighbour just complains throughout the game and that you both just like to moan .     [/quote]

Maybe it''s because your advice was elitist rubbish?

"Camara is rubbish."

"Oh, for god''s sake!"

"Pattison is useless."

[/quote]

I''m afraid that 25% at least of our home support is stereotypical of the unrealistic pessimist you''ve described!

So your best of  best of  keeping your knowledge and resentment of his ignorance to yourself!

[quote user="plan b"]all i was saying is that you cant have a go at your new neighbour after only taking your seat for one game. right or wrong he can have a go at whoever he likes, its his opinion and he can express it, the same way that every one on this post has had a go at me for giving you a bit of harsh but fair advice. i dont like whingers as much as the next man but if someone came and sat near me, where i have sat for the last 9 years and start having a pop i if had the ocassional grumble than i would find that very rude and would tell them so.[/quote]

It didn''t sound like the occasional grumble from the original post.

So you are basically saying that it''s fine to go to games and moan about the team, and not get behind them, just because you''ve been going for longer than someone who wants to support them - and that the person who wants to support them should put up with the moaning?

You must live in a very strange world.

[quote user="plan b"]its his opinion and he can express it,  [/quote]

That should be the new British motto that Gordon Brown wants us to have. In the age of the phone-in and messageboard, all sorts of numpties think their opinion is worth hearing. Fact is that, although opinions are like a***holes (everyone''s got one), they''re not all of the same quality (the opinions that is, I can''t comment on the a***holes).

I once sat next to some idiotic teenager who continually yelled at Drury for standing by the right hand post when we were defending corners on the grounds that Drury was a left back and therefore out of position. After the eighth time I told him to shut up and he said "It''s my opinion and I''m entitled to it." Well, not if it''s utter nonsense, sunshine.

I''m afraid, James, that you''re just going to have to face up to the fact that a huge number of football fans have absolutely no idea about the game they''re watching, regardless of how many games they''ve seen in their life. Have a look at the player ratings for Charlton if you like, to see the number of people who gave Darel Russell 6 or below when the guy had an utter stormer. My opinion, not a fact, but an opinion shared by virtually every national newspaper journo who watched the game, as well as Chris Lakey. You can say "I thought he was rubbish, and it''s my opinion" all you like. You''re still wrong.

James, I hope you have the guts to tell the guy to get behind his team, or shut up. And if he is going to moan, at least do it with a sense of humour. The people round me on Boxing Day (like Mr Chops, I''m very lucky with my season-ticket neighbours) really enjoyed the Doc''s range of passing, especially the inch-perfect pass he pinged at Matty Patty, who was so surprised he missed it completely and let it go into touch, and that one the Doc does every game, the raking crossfield ball six inches above Huckerby''s head and into the Jarrold stand.

Cheer them on, laugh at them when they''re crap. You''ll have more fun.

on the ball, city.

Robert Lim, that''s my favourite post of 2007.  I''m hoping he won''t be there tomorrow, but we''ll see.Just to clarify - working in retail doesn''t leave many Saturdays free, and buying a season ticket without being able to use it might prove my "loyalty" but would also cause financial and logistical issues.  Having quit store work, I''m free to take advantage of every Saturday at last.

It seems somewhat sad I have to justify my support, but there we go.  I''ve done the best I can.  Better than turning up at a game and moaning for 90 minutes, certainly.

James,

Why don''t you move to a nes seat for nextr season. NCFC have a "movers and shackers week" after the final deadline to renew your season ticket.

You can move to somewhere where you won''t hear the commednts you don''t like about the players.

OTBC