Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

PosterParty/Symposium

Given that I am distant from Norwich it is probably not my place to comment upon the absolutely disappointing turnout towards the end of the season of the much talked about get-together for posters on this message board. However, not being my place has not deterred me in the past. There was much rhetoric in advance of the event from many who thought it a great idea. When it came time to show up, however, I believe there may have been three moderators and no more than four or five others. This was a very sad turnout by anyone’s measure. Of course, many had reasons and/or excuses why they could not make it. In the final analysis, however, one has to conclude that, despite the often professed love of many for the message board and backslapping support with comments like “great post Fred”, when it came time to stand in front of others and show a face and build personal camaraderie, the goods were not delivered.
Why not, I thought, give the posters a chance to either redeem themselves or, show one more time, that there is more talk than action in many of the words professed on this board. In that vein, let’s see if a get together can be managed for the coming season. If an organizing committee could be put together perhaps we could even put on a symposium for a few hours ( either on a Friday or Saturday evening ) with presentations by various posters. Of course a buffet meal would be available, minimum attendance objectives etc., and an attendance cost that would have to be paid in advance to foster commitment and cover costs. Just for fun, here’s what it could look like:

6.30 pm Register ( picture taking ) and introductions
7.00 pm Buffet meal
7.30 pm Welcome ( from someone associated with NCFC )
7.45 pm Panel of Wizardry with demonstrations ( hosted by 1st Wizard and
other witches to be named )

8.15 pm Presidential debate ( suggested by Kathy )
Candidates
Dumbledelia is Magic
( Campaign slogan: Everybody is wonderful, I’d like to replace Tony Blair )

YankeeCanary
( Campaign slogan: Every silver lining has a black cloud )

8.45 pm FatMan Fat and his disciples
( Follow my principles and you too can walk on water )

Well, you get the idea. Some of our creative posters can build a fuller, more exciting list. ( Come on susieb and cityangel ). I would be more than happy to come over for the event provided everyone had an ample supply of eggs.

yankee

first yes, a great idea for a get together and yes, we must all meet up, thing is some of us have to travel a long way to the city for games and others have family or work commitments - i really did want to go to the get together at the back end of last season, but due to circumstances beyond my control, couldn''t make it

i haven''t met many people on this board, one or two maybe, but would love to meet some others - i am sure we could arrange a welcoming party for you if you were to come over to visit us pmsl

having looked at your ideal list of events, umm, don''t know how my fellow posters feel about ''presentations'' i would just suggest meeting in a good old norwich pub (there are lots near the ground) and just chilling out and enjoying a pint or glass of our favourite tipple

I agree with gazza. I would like to meet some of my fellow posters over a beer or two. I was going to suggest a poster party before the beginning of the season. Perhaps try to get more people involved?

We''ll have to do another one as the only poster I''ve met is cityangel on the pitch at Gresty Road. Perhaps more planning with plenty of notice will ensure a larger turnout than the last-minute shennigans of the previous one...

It sounds good in theory but we did actually try very hard (arranged grub, name tags etc) for the last one and it was poorly supported. Its practically impossible to find a date which suits everyone and we found lots of people dropped out at the last minute. And all this was during the season and on a match day when fans were in Norwich anyway. I wish you luck with this one and I will support it too but I am not holding my breath.

Well said Kathy. I too was at the last symposium (great word) and will do my best to attend if another is arranged but the turnout last time was really disappointing although the beer was good. Can I suggest that someone dictates a date well in advance so people can plan accordingly - Im sure the turnout will improve if there is sufficient notice.

I''d come along, but only if you''re there Yankee.

I''d like to know whether you''re just a wind-up merchant, or really a manic depressive who happens to unleash his vitriol from the safety of his home on random message boards.

Hopefully you''re actually a nice guy who entertains himself by picking fights on-line. There''s only one way we''ll ever know, if you dare fly over here.

What about just nominating a pub near the ground ie the Mustard Pot, which isn''t too big. This could be used permanently and people would know that if they went there before a game, other posters would be there.

Manic depressive Jonzey, why the hell did''nt I think of that to describe old YC!. Mind you as Mrs wiz is now fit enough to polish my balls, crystal, that is, I think you''d be a tad dissapointed if you did meet him in the flesh, yuk!.

I could of course send a cloud to transport him on, yes I can do that!. but why should I spoil every posters evening?. Only jesting YC. I actually think its a good idea by the way, but picking a time which suits everyone would be virtually impossible I think, yes?.

As for me, think Brad Pitt, aged 200, with long silver hair, and warts on the nose. There you go, easy was''nt it?. As for Mrs Wiz, think Nell McAndrew/Sandra Bullock, ye gods, my spell for beauty works a real treat!.

I would have loved to come but I work in London and often on Saturdays. However if a date were set in advance I could get time off and maybe even a ticket (although that''s becoming ever more difficult) but as I drive back here a lunch do would be better. By 4.50 a couple of pre match pints would have worn off. A get together would be marvellous but I agree with Kathy that many of us seem to be very dispersed.

You dont want to come to Norwich, YC.....it''s just as crap as you suggested in a previous post. Trust me, it really isn''t worth your while YOU coming here.

Spot on FatMan Fat. :)
I was just thinking that today as I relaxed the evening away by the river Wensum, which is conveniently right outside my back door, drinking cold beer and enjoying the gentler evening sun (it was a bit hot for me the last few days at 30 degrees+!)

YC is just fine where he is.
Keep Norwich Tidy.

Herb

Thank you to those of you who did respond positively. Despite that, I have to say I believe the disappointing reponse on this thread, along with the poorly attended first get-together, leaves me to conclude that most posters prefer just to build "message board camaraderie", and avoid the idea of showing up for personal appearances over a beer etc. Disappointed in your lack of response cityangel, as you were very proactive in pushing for the first meeting only to say you couldn''t make it at the end of the day. You weren''t alone.

yankee

i am all for a meeting of minds (and bodies) of all who wish to from this board, i have met city angel and rainbowchaser, and know of first wiz from the chase out era, so i am all up for meeting new faces

my ''excuse'' for last time was that my old mate RC was late arriving in norwich from worthing,(we both intended to attend), and he had my brand new spanking pc with him to install so you could all have the pleasure of my company on here!! what was i to do?

so - yeah, a lame excuse - if any of you are going to the ''canary in the community'' gardening day at bowthorpe on july 3, i will see you there!! and if another get together is arranged, i WILL be there!

now there''s a warning to you all lol

kathy, if you knew me you would know nothing could be further from the truth, RC in my previous post refers to my good mate rainbowchaser, but i couldn''t be bothered to type out his name in full - now i am having to to save my reputation on here!!!

i once had the pleasure of an hour or so in Mr Chase''s company (cos i sent him so many letters of complaint after Mike Walker left, and all our fine players were sold!!!) he invited me to his office for a chat, and did he get one (a chat i mean!) boy the man was so, so certain we were not going down that year!

Never again, ten years counselling still left me with scars :-(

Sorry I have dissappointed you Yankee,yes I was one of a number to suggest it in the first place and had even found a nice pub The Ketts Tavern within walking distance of the ground to make it easy for everyone(especially those withour transport) to attend.Then it was switched to a pub in Silver Road(where somebody knew the landlord)which was not walking distance and as I was working that Saturday until 1pm a long way away from that pub by the time I would have got there it would have been time to leave for the football,so hence I made my apologies.
If we can find somewhere close to the football ground,somebody suggested The Mustard Pot I would love to come and meet everyone.Having said that to find a date to suit everyone is difficult, also some people travel in by coach,train etc and are restricted to when they have to leave afterwards and yes some people like to remain anonymous which is their right.
Perhaps when you come over to visit Yankee we will all make a special effort,as I guess there''s a lot of us who perhaps would like to meet you for one reason or another or are you one of those who would prefer to remain anonymous too.
cityangel

Would I be right in assuming that the majority of posters on here go to Carrow Road on a reasonably regular basis? I might not be, but surely the previous time of 1PM on a Saturday before a home game would be good. As it''s the weekend hopefully not as many people would have to work

DD

yes, i go to every home game, barring an act of god - so i would be up for a meet b4 (sorry sheded) the game, but as with everything like this, success is only guaranteed by good planning and plenty of notice/publicity

good pubs near the ground:

compleat angler
ketts tavern
rosary tavern
coach and horses
ferry boat
mustard pot
bridge house
the rose
woolpack
murderers

no, i am not an alcholic honest!

don''t usually go in the riverside bars as i feel out of place in them, they are for the younger ones amongst us but would go anywhere if i could meet yankee (just the once) lol

I normally meet the people I sit with in the Willaim IV (Quebec Road) at about 1.00pm befor e the match. Good value food, decent beer, 15 minute walk max to the ground...ah, bliss :-0)

Thats not much of an excuse city angel!! Come on, its about a 3 minute walk from Ketts tavern to silver road. Mind you, i can''t really talk. Myself and Pincer actually walked right past the pub and after seeing the strange looking folk lurking outside decided not to enter and proceded to Norweigan Blue instead. Sorry to those who did attend, next time i will be braver and show my face!!

just thought i''d post an alternative list of pubs near to the ground the CLARENCE,KINGSWAY,PINEAPPLE,JOLLY MALSTERS,JOLLY BUTCHERS,PHEASANT COCK,NEW INN &THE LAME DOG.....I havn''t been out recently!

FBS. The strange looking folk loitering around the Cottage were probably us posters!