Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Dion Dublin - My views

First of all this is not a slight against dion, as he is a great player who has proved himself.  But am I the only person who doesnt think we should offer him a new deal?  He has been of use this season, without a doubt, but is that not because of the lack of squad depth, and utter lack of leaders on the pitch?He has been a strong influence, but we need more for a promotion push, i mean can he ever be a first choice player?  in my opinion we need competition for places, so in the centre, doc and shax are both worried about 1-2 players breathing down there necks (hopefully spillane as one of them) for me i am not sure they fear that?  It is clear we need at least 1 centre back and at least one right back, where would this leave dion?   I would love to see him here as a coach, or player coach, because of all the youth grant seems to want to give a shot, but I think relying on him as competition for places is a bad idea, as at 38 which he will be next year (i think) he shouldnt be able to get in the team as a centre back, and with brown, hucks, earnie, martin, maybe jarvis and renton, he shouldnt be able to get near the team their either.Now i dont want to big them up, (smudger and cluck) but to me if we hold onto him as a player only, its a real sign of lack of ambition, as we are thinking he will be able to get in the team!  a coach, he will bring energy and experience, but just am not so sure about him as a player for next year.

It''s not a lack of ambition to want your best players to sign a new contract, surely? Regardless of his age, Dublin has been a rock for us this season and I see no reason why he shouldn''t be allowed to continue this next season, even if its just as a sub.

[quote user="gissing canary"]First of all this is not a slight against dion, as he is a great player who has proved himself.  But am I the only person who doesnt think we should offer him a new deal?  He has been of use this season, without a doubt, but is that not because of the lack of squad depth, and utter lack of leaders on the pitch?
He has been a strong influence, but we need more for a promotion push, i mean can he ever be a first choice player?  in my opinion we need competition for places, so in the centre, doc and shax are both worried about 1-2 players breathing down there necks (hopefully spillane as one of them) for me i am not sure they fear that?  It is clear we need at least 1 centre back and at least one right back, where would this leave dion?   I would love to see him here as a coach, or player coach, because of all the youth grant seems to want to give a shot, but I think relying on him as competition for places is a bad idea, as at 38 which he will be next year (i think) he shouldnt be able to get in the team as a centre back, and with brown, hucks, earnie, martin, maybe jarvis and renton, he shouldnt be able to get near the team their either.
Now i dont want to big them up, (smudger and cluck) but to me if we hold onto him as a player only, its a real sign of lack of ambition, as we are thinking he will be able to get in the team!  a coach, he will bring energy and experience, but just am not so sure about him as a player for next year.

[/quote]

he is being offered a job with the academy.. he is currently doing a computer course which will enable him to do the admin side of the academy stuff... he will take over as Acadmey direcotr whilst Ricky Martin continues to manage the Ressies....

you heard it here first!...

im confident he will get the job.

jas :)

I do agree with you. He did a very good job for us over christmas and the start of the year but we can''t rely on him forever. If we are serious about building a competative side in this division next season then i''m afraid Dion isnt the answer. His age seems to be catching up with him now, with bumps and niggles and his performances when he''s played over the last couple of  months have been of a lower standard. He was raring to go a few months ago, but i''m afraid it seems time has caught up with him.

we can''t RELY on Dion that much is true, but he is a very good player to have if we need him nxt season. i dont think he will get into the 1st team every game nxt season but he will be a valuable player for us nxt season 

Im not sure he will have the motivation to haul his ageing body through another tough physical season.

He was fantastic over the winter months for us and must take a lot of credit for keeping us away from the relegation zone but we must be looking for younger players that wont have so many fitness issues.

I think he''s a top guy though and i''m sure Peter Grant will want him around Colney next year as a coach, he can work with defence and attack and seems to be a good motivator so let''s hope coach or maybe player coach

I dont think he''d want to be involved with the academy next year, maybe in years to come, but I don''t think he''ll want to be so uninvolved with the first-team.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="gissing canary"]First of all this is not a slight against dion, as he is a great player who has proved himself.  But am I the only person who doesnt think we should offer him a new deal?  He has been of use this season, without a doubt, but is that not because of the lack of squad depth, and utter lack of leaders on the pitch?
He has been a strong influence, but we need more for a promotion push, i mean can he ever be a first choice player?  in my opinion we need competition for places, so in the centre, doc and shax are both worried about 1-2 players breathing down there necks (hopefully spillane as one of them) for me i am not sure they fear that?  It is clear we need at least 1 centre back and at least one right back, where would this leave dion?   I would love to see him here as a coach, or player coach, because of all the youth grant seems to want to give a shot, but I think relying on him as competition for places is a bad idea, as at 38 which he will be next year (i think) he shouldnt be able to get in the team as a centre back, and with brown, hucks, earnie, martin, maybe jarvis and renton, he shouldnt be able to get near the team their either.
Now i dont want to big them up, (smudger and cluck) but to me if we hold onto him as a player only, its a real sign of lack of ambition, as we are thinking he will be able to get in the team!  a coach, he will bring energy and experience, but just am not so sure about him as a player for next year.

[/quote]

he is being offered a job with the academy.. he is currently doing a computer course which will enable him to do the admin side of the academy stuff... he will take over as Acadmey direcotr whilst Ricky Martin continues to manage the Ressies....

you heard it here first!...

im confident he will get the job.

jas :)

[/quote]

Excellent news if true.

Dion''s experience is invaluable for us - of course we should sign him for another season.  He has been one of our better players this season and he can play a key role for us as we get promotion next year.

I honestly believe that DD should be used as a bench player. And used as a mentor for the younger players.

I think that PG planned to use DD today because of the Hull direct style.

Would not surprise to not even see him on the bench on Monday now we have 53 points.

I think Martin will start and I think its almost a lock Renton will make his debut as Sub.

The recent young signings and the bench today hint at what is to come.

We need to give these young players some experience.

I know PG wants to "win every game" but its far more important to build for next year than win a few more points.

Lets not look at these last few games as meaningless, lets look at them as an oppotunity to see the future of our club.

Lets encourage these young players because they are the future.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I honestly believe that DD should be used as a bench player. And used as a mentor for the younger players.

Would not surprise to not even see him on the bench on Monday now we have 53 points.

I think Martin will start and I think its almost a lock Renton will make his debut as Sub.

I know PG wants to "win every game" but its far more important to build for next year than win a few more points.

Lets not look at these last few games as meaningless, lets look at them as an oppotunity to see the future of our club.

[/quote]

Completely agree USA - he should be used when needed to get us out of a hole with injuries and suspensions at the back or up front, and as a mentor and motivator. For the whole squad, not just the youngsters. I believe he is invaluable for that after what Drury said about him after the Tamworth game. He is worth as much in the dressing room as out on the pitch and you can''t buy that. Someone either has that charisma and character or they don''t and i was concerned when Drury indicated after the Tamworth game that no-one else has really got that apart from him.

[quote user="Dicky"]Dion''s experience is invaluable for us - of course we should sign him for another season.  He has been one of our better players this season and he can play a key role for us as we get promotion next year.[/quote]

for once I totally agree with you Dicky! He has been extremely useful this season, and as long as he is not on a massive wage, we could do with him as cover for both the center halves and up front.  He has proven he can still do a job.  I mean, he was even in the starting XI in the last two games!!

I change my mind about this nearly every week!

Last week I was convinced we should let him go. Don''t get me wrong, I think he has been awesome for us this season, it''s just that next season Grant somehow has to make a smaller budget spread further, so keeping on a player who will be 39 before the end of his contract may not be practical.

This week I am more swayed to keeping him, if there is a player/coach role available at the club then this could be the answer, but I thought all the positions had been filled now. To create one would be another wage to find without parachute money.

One thing that disappointed me yesterday about Dion was that towards the end of the game he seemed to play ever deeper, inviting pressure from Hull. Hucks was then isolated up front and a lone striker is definitely not his game which put more pressure on us. With Dion up front we have an outlet, if he was tired we had alternatives on the bench.

I really am not sure what i think now, Dions been awesome but we now have Brown.................

And to think I used to be indecisive!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

good post.

I would maybe look at using DD in the centre of defence as the doc still worries me!.

Now would be a great time to blood some of the youngsters.

his attitude is 100% - has presence in bundles, but recently he''s been looking his age.  i don''t think we can afford to keep him as a player for next season - if jas is right and he''s been offered a coaching role then that''s an excellent piece of news

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="Dicky"]Dion''s experience is invaluable for us - of course we should sign him for another season.  He has been one of our better players this season and he can play a key role for us as we get promotion next year.[/quote]

for once I totally agree with you Dicky! He has been extremely useful this season, and as long as he is not on a massive wage, we could do with him as cover for both the center halves and up front.  He has proven he can still do a job.  I mean, he was even in the starting XI in the last two games!!

[/quote]

Steady on, that''s twice now.....

Big mistake not to offer Dion a new contract !    when he came  , he and Hucks  opened up  their old partnership  ,  the sprogs  from the academy   ARE looking  for  surrogate dads as they venture  into the arena  of   real time football , Dion and Hucks  will provide this in spades !   leading by example  ....      get rid of the trash who have brought  this club into the doldrums by all means , but keep  what is good !

A good squad player who fills a couple of gaps well but only as cover for injuries or for specific roles in targetted games;  agree the mentor thing could be good but he has turned this down in recent seasons as he want to continue to play, having plenty of time left to coach.

I dont think he is one  to build a team around and relying on him would be a folly,  if he is willing to stay as a mentor and occasional player then fantastic

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

A good squad player who fills a couple of gaps well but only as cover for injuries or for specific roles in targetted games;  agree the mentor thing could be good but he has turned this down in recent seasons as he want to continue to play, having plenty of time left to coach.

I dont think he is one  to build a team around and relying on him would be a folly,  if he is willing to stay as a mentor and occasional player then fantastic

[/quote]

I think its all about the "situation" , I think DD understands his career is winding down.

As much as I like him, I dont think he will get any offers to play for a bigger club than us.

If he accepts a bench/mentor role he could play for maybe 2 more seasons.

At the moment DD can do no wrong but a few bad games/mistakes could reduce the equity he has built up.

As much as I want him to stay, you could fully understand Norwich not offering him another contract.

A club as big as us is striving for the premiership. We need to build a side young enough to take us there and keep us there.