Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Playoffs still feasible. Yep.

[quote user="ncfc1"]Oh dear , a win and a close one at that against the worst side in the league and the Norwich fans suddenly think they are world beaters , play offs no chance whatsoever , get realistic and just hope we stay up and Ipswich dont double us .[/quote]why do you make reference to ''the norwich fans'' are you not one yourself?

I think we should be looking at the the aim of avoiding relegation first , then if a miracle happens - great!

I think in all reality, the best we can hope for this season is to just get as high up this league as possible and look to build for next season.  An unbeaten run at home a few away wins would be a good platform from which to start next season.

[quote user="BedsCanary"]Let''s not get too carried away people - we''ve only just beat the worst team in the Division...
[/quote]

Exactly BC, and the other realists!

This argument that we can make the playoffs is flawed by the fact that we''ve just won our first league game in 10 - relegation material, my friends. It was enough of a struggle to make the playoffs last time around, and we were never this low down. Just put things into perspective. Nothing wrong with being positive, but there''s a difference between being positive and living in dream world - we are NOT going to make the playoffs. We''ve just beaten a team that we should be beating anyway - I don''t want to hear that we''re now suddenly one of the best teams in the league because quite frankly, as we have shown vs Burnley, Sheff Wed, Southend, Plymouth, Stoke, Hull, Colchester and Ipswich, that we aint.

Agreed with most of the above. Although mathematically possible, it''s massively unlikely. After yesterdays'' result and the encouraging performance of the new boys, with Chadwick set to return from injury before too long, I''m more confident now that we''ll avoid the drop. But without Earnie''s goals I think it''s unrealistic to think we stand a chance of winning 12 of our remaining games. All I''m hoping for in regards to the remainder of the season is some strong performances to give me encouragement for next season.

I''d love to be proved wrong though...

hehehe...

I just knew I would come on here today and some people would be talking about play-off''s again...

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!

All anybody should be concerned about is us still picking up the 13 or so points that it would require to ensure that we are still playing Championship football next season.

I don''t think too many people are saying we will make the play-offs, just that it is feasible.  Which it is. FACT.  Likely?  No, it is not likely, but it is possible.  And all the arguments about the teams above us are almost irrelevant as going by the points total needed in previous seasons, as Bly pointed out, we can still achieve that total.  It would then need to be an unusually high points scoring year for 6 other teams to prevent us making the play-offs.  That said, do I think or believe that''s what will happen?  No I don''t.  I will be a happier man once we have hit 51 points, personally.

Thankfully a fair smattering of sanity on show here. For those who believe in such fantasies...I guess you''re banking on all the clubs below us losing every game so we avoid the drop.....and all the teams above us losing every game so we can reach the playoffs........Yep....very likely.

Don''t think we''re gonna make the play-offs but do think we''ll move up the table, previous results this season count for nothing as the first team now has roughly a 40% change in personnel so every chance we''ll start moving in the right direction now.  

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]Thankfully a fair smattering of sanity on show here. For those who believe in such fantasies...I guess you''re banking on all the clubs below us losing every game so we avoid the drop.....and all the teams above us losing every game so we can reach the playoffs........Yep....very likely.[/quote]

To be fair to the original poster Cluck I think he was just pointing out that it''s still possible, which is exactly what it is. However, I don''t think anyone really believes this is going to happen...I don''t but it''s a nice idea, some positivity in negative times. BTW it wouldn''t take every team above us to lose every game to make the playoffs, it doesn''t work like that. Win the game in hand, that would put us 12 pts off 6th spot or something. Take the points off the teams around us, with a few draws between themselves, and hey...Crystal Palace excellent example.

Smudger and Cluck (or whatever your enigmatic new name is, ooh..... mystery man, we''re all jolly impressed I can tell you),

He is saying that it is possible, very few people are of the opinion that we will actually make the play offs, rather that they think we looked as though we should be able to pull away from the bottom with a few more performances like that. It would literally kill you to admit that the new signings which you were slating with a vengeance last week actually look as though they might have some potential, wouldn''t it. Even if he is saying that he thinks we will make the top six (it isn''t impossible, no matter how clever you think you are), it certainly makes for a more interesting thread than your overwhelmingly monotonous, incredibly one sided and doom laden drivel!  

we all dream but a good run will build confidence for next season.when mr grant buys some more players and gets out the deadwood then we can think about the playoffs.but i cannot knock you for being positive.on the ball city

anything is possible, but getting a goalscorer on loan, and a new central defender/right back, would be necessary to make a relasitic challenge.  i fear this board will settle for mid/bottom half of the table, then aim to rebuild in a limited way in the summer.

I think a few people on here take themselves far too seriously.

I''m a football fan and, after grabbing the paper on Sunday I did indulge in that wondrously ridiculous school of positive thought... I just wonder what would happen if we went on a really good run now...

10 wins and 6 points from our last 16 games would put us on 73 points... imagine the excitement...

Of course, it then becomes quite clear that even 73 points would probably be two points short of the final playoff place. Also, the rather incredible run stated above would be going against everything we have witnessed so far this season - in fact for the last 18 months.

So yes, we could go on an unbelievable run. Yes, I kept checking last Thursday evening to see if we would sign anyone else. Yes, if we lose I look nervously down the table. Yes, if we win, we might never lose another game... Surely it is all part of the fun. It is certainly not going to affect the outcome...  

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]Thankfully a fair smattering of sanity on show here. For those who believe in such fantasies...I guess you''re banking on all the clubs below us losing every game so we avoid the drop.....and all the teams above us losing every game so we can reach the playoffs........Yep....very likely.[/quote]

Cluck (& a few others). I''m surprised at you.

1] Feasible = able to be done, possible. Nothing more, nothing less.

2] Sanity, I would assume, normally involves the ability to recognise simple facts & follow basic logic.

Our end of season status will have nothing whatsoever to do with ''all the clubs below us losing every game'' or ''all the teams above us losing every game''. It will depend purely & simply on our own results.

What we have to do to reach the playoffs is win 12 & draw 2 (say) of our 16 remaining matches giving us 75 points (unlikely, yes, but feasible). For dreamers.

What we have to do avoid relegation is win 5 (say) of our remaining 16 matches giving us 52 points (both feasible and probable - consult the bookies). For pragmatists.

( Teams finishing 21st in our current league and thus avoiding relegation over the past 6 seasons achieved totals of 49, 49, 50, 51, 50 and 50 points).

Football is for dreamers, because dreams come true sometimes. But not under Smith, I fear. Unless Grant(y) turns out to be a reincarnation of the late, great Archie Macaulay.

Lighten up & fantasise for a little. It will help to keep you sane.

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Cluck (& a few others). I''m surprised at you.

1] Feasible = able to be done, possible. Nothing more, nothing less.

2] Sanity, I would assume, normally involves the ability to recognise simple facts & follow basic logic.

Our end of season status will have nothing whatsoever to do with ''all the clubs below us losing every game'' or ''all the teams above us losing every game''. It will depend purely & simply on our own results.

What we have to do to reach the playoffs is win 12 & draw 2 (say) of our 16 remaining matches giving us 75 points (unlikely, yes, but feasible). For dreamers.

What we have to do avoid relegation is win 5 (say) of our remaining 16 matches giving us 52 points (both feasible and probable - consult the bookies). For pragmatists.

( Teams finishing 21st in our current league and thus avoiding relegation over the past 6 seasons achieved totals of 49, 49, 50, 51, 50 and 50 points).

Football is for dreamers, because dreams come true sometimes. But not under Smith, I fear. Unless Grant(y) turns out to be a reincarnation of the late, great Archie Macaulay.

Lighten up & fantasise for a little. It will help to keep you sane.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly....did you actually think I meant what I said? Would not the majority of remaining games involve clubs from above and below us playing each other.....so losing every game therefore automatically becomes a statisical impossibility?

Don''t tell me even you''re taking me too seriously now...........[;)]

macdougall''s perm

Smudger and Cluck (or whatever your enigmatic new name is, ooh..... mystery man, we''re all jolly impressed I can tell you),

Personally I think we should refer to him as The Artist Formally Known As Cluck or TAFKAC!