Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Doesn't it show just how low NCFC fans expectations have become...

that the majority of them are over the moon with this result?

Do not forget that Tamworth are a struggling Conference team that have scored one goal in their last 6 games (and that was by a player who was sat on the bench today)...

If we had been playing a team at the top end of the Conference with a reasonable striker at that level plus a touch of confidence then we would of been 3-0 down and heading for a cup exit before Dion and Hucks came to our rescue...

Lets see how many of you are happy with the points tally we pick up in the next 3 league matches shall we???

Don''t forget we have 5 points from our last 7 games in the league!!!

These games are never easy, you dont see many sides go to any lower league cup and come away with a 8-0 win. Yes, they could have scored early but they didnt and we did a solid job. Nobody is saying as a result we are going to reach the play offs and win the cup, most are just pleased we''ve came throught what could have been a tough game.

I think beating Tamworth was a good result. 

During the first 10/15 minutes it clearly looked like the team were nervous and lacked confidence, and, the team looked much more assured in the second half.  I hope they will be able to reproduce this increased confidence in the league.

This was exactly the sort of fixture that would, and has, tripped league sides up in the past.  Whilst the side had to show a lot of character and team spirit to win the match it also highlighted the weaknesses in the squad, and, given time I am sure Grant will strenghthen the squad where he thinks necessary.

If we had lost I would have worried that relegation was a real possibility, but, the match has shown that the team can dig in and fight.

I like a lot of other supporters who this match marks the turning point in our season.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Do not forget that Tamworth are a struggling Conference team that have scored one goal in their last 6 games (and that was by a player who was sat on the bench today)...

If we had been playing a team at the top end of the Conference with a reasonable striker at that level plus a touch of confidence then we would of been 3-0 down and heading for a cup exit before Dion and Hucks came to our rescue...

Lets see how many of you are happy with the points tally we pick up in the next 3 league matches shall we???

[/quote]

Well naturally nobody would be happy if we picked up three points in the next three league matches......Duh.

But today we are happy because we won. Simple enough for you.

For you, Smudger, I think we should all be very disappointed that we won today, how dare we enjoy the beginning of a potential cup run! We apologise for enjoying our team winning. Go support a team with no expectations, while we enjoy some optimism.

we were all unsure how City would fare today (quite rightly in my opinion)  . What amazes me is the impression given by some that we should be dissapointed because we won!! WE ARE IN THE 4th ROUND of THE FA CUP. what is wrong with that? Tamworth were expected to give us a hard time by many "experts" and for 10-12 mins in a 90min match they did just that BUT for the other 80 min we ran the match.    Yes we should do that and (I repeat) WE DID. So please enjoy the fact that we did not slip on a great big bannana skin and look forward to the next round. O.T.B.C.

I''m all for dishing out the brickbats when they are due.....but City could easily have rolled over today and they didn''t. That''s a plus for me....especially in front of the BBC cameras.

NOT too impressed with the corny bagpipe reception though.....and suggest Grant drops that mullarky right quick..........

Are mine the only nerves this guy Smudger is getting on. I like cluck am all for giving a bit of stick where it is due. But this guy never stops. We won, we avoided a potental bannana skin and we scored 4 goals. All this if this and if that is a load of tripe.

There is a list as long as your arm of things that I don''t like about the way the club is at present. But today we played we scored and we won.

You confuse low expectations with realistic ones - GET REAL!

I am over the moon with avoiding a potential banana skin, a great win !

Tamworth beat Rushden & Diamonds ( recent league side ) and Burton Albion ( 3rd in conference ) to get this far.

One thing is for sure, however many points we pick up in the next 3 games you will be unhappy.

Who cares we have 5 points from last 7 games, its history !

Cluck - I have heard that the next step is to rename each player with something more "Caledonian", such as Robert "The Bruce" Earnshaw, Lee Crofter, Jurgen Colin Hendry although I reckon Granty is going to struggle with a name for the Rev Desmond Tutu. And I can`t wait to see the seats at CR rearranged into a sort of green and yellow tartan 

I think the situation itself meant that alot of us could see a replay heading, or a 1-0 scraping win or lose. Im not ''over the moon'' but im pleased in the sense that its better than losing!

Perhaps, just perhaps, you shouldnt be so negative. I know im asking a heck of alot, but..meh.

Considering Man Utd, no less, went to Burton Albion a couple of years back and were happy to come away with a 0-0 draw, we should be pleased it was job done today. hese games are NOT automatic wins, no matter what anyone says.

And Ronbol Ronbol, I would like you to explain the benefits of sacking Grant and who you believe should take over!

Think the bagpipes were tamworths idea.Talking to the neutral mates i watched the match with the consencous was:1) against non league opposition you have to expect them to come out really up for it, seeing that bit out without conceeding is the best thing to do.2) hughes should not play wide right/ midfield (was with a reading fan)3) once the game is safe league teams are likely to back off so as not to pick up injuries and are right to do so.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Are you even a NCFC fan ?

Because all you do is moan and moan and moan !!!!

The FA cup always makes the lower league teams play out of there skin.

Many have slipped up to lower teams in the past, be happy we scored and played ok.

I don''t often get to see Norwich play much nowadays, but I was not very impressed with the performance, against Tamworth.

Gallacher - ok, not much to do.

Drury - Not a captain''s performance, remember some wayward passing from him. Seems a strange choice for captain.  Dublin was much more of a captain on the day.

Docherty - Not impressed at all, was not a central defender that filled me with any confidence whatsoever.  What is he normally like?

Shackell - Again just ok.

Colin - Possibly the best defender but not marvelous.  I know Colin plays on the right, but reminds me a bit of a poor man''s Ashley Cole.

Against a team like Tamworth, I expected to see towering defensive performances but there were not any.  I now realise why we have leaked goals in the championship.

Huckerby - a good performance, the best midfielder on show for us.

Etuhu - Can''t really remember him doing much.  Did he do anything?

Croft - Failed to beat his man and/or get in a cross or the cross fell to the defender time and time again.

Safri - Not bad, some good passing.

I sat and thought, where are the ball winners in our midfield as the game unfolded?  Where was the drive and determination? Like you see from Parker at Newcastle, Gerrard at Liverpool, Lampard at Chelsea, these players patrol the midfield like their life depends on it.  I expected to see this against Tamworth.  The passing from the midfielders was good only in patches.  i.e. second half when we kept the ball.  A couple of good balls in the first half.

Dublin - What a class act.  Men against boys stuff, he stood up and was counted when it mattered.  Head and shoulders above the rest.  Showed his quality for the first goal. Showed his anticipation for the second, he was quickly on it and neatly hooked it over the keeper.

Earnshaw - I am going to have to say he was our worst player today.  Did not in any shape or form look like a 17 goal striker.  It appeared as though he just was not up for it.  I obviously don''t know why, either he just didn''t fancy it, or he didn''t want to get injured.  The thought did cross my mind that he may be thinking, I''ve had it for a transfer to the Premiership if i get crocked at Tamworth.

Hughes, Robinson and Thorne - did not really have much of an impact on the game.

I think we are short of players all over the pitch. We need a commanding keeper.  I''d say two quality defenders, Docherty, just is not a central defender.  A ball winner in midfield and someone who can pass in midfield and open up space.  Cover up front.

I make that 6 players

1 - Keeper

2 - Defenders

2 - Midfielders

1 - Striker

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

Are mine the only nerves this guy Smudger is getting on.

[/quote]No, and I''d hazard a guess he didn''t make the 300 mile round trip to Tamworth like myself and 7 or 8 hundred other hardy souls to stand in the rain - yeah, I was one of the unlucky ones at either end who didn''t get to enjoy the delights of the errr...roof. I went there, without great expectations, but its the FA cup third round, if you can''t be optimistic about that you might as well find another sport.Yes it was a banana skin in waiting, yes it was a nervous opening, and yes we could have played better (though not much better given the state of the pitch!) The fact is we went to Tamworth as potential fall guys in the eyes of the BBC and many neutrals. It didn''t happen. We had enough fight and enough grit to get stuck in and come through the rough and tumble of a typical FA cup tie against a plucky "minnow"Enough teams have failed to do so in the past.Why he took Dublin off I''ll never know though. Hattricks don''t come along often at his time of life, and it says everything you need to know about the man that he looked gutted to be leaving the fray.Personally I''d have given Earnie a rest and put McVeigh on.

A win .........is a win  !      Tamworth  did the business  in the first 20 mins  , and could easily have been 2 up    if their finishing   had been up to scratch  ,   I think the 2 goals in 5 mins  took the wind out their sails   , and we just cruised along  from then on ...

There were some positives  from the game !    all the signs point  to Dion  , Hucks  and Earnie   making   a good strike force   , Hucks  roved  inside  , and linked up  with Dion well   , in fact they seem to have a mutual understanding    , which bodes well  for the rest of the season  , I say Grant   should  forget keeping Hucks on the left wing   , and have him  be part of a 3-4-3  formation  , Earny and Dion  being the other two ....