Sign in to follow this  
magic_eyes

Worthy - Sutton is your get out of jail free card - why can't you see it?

Worthington''s popularity is probably still at an all time low.

As far as I can tell 99% of City fans would love to see Chris Sutton

signed on a pay as you play deal, which it appears he is happy to

accept.

What I don''t understand is this.   It doesn''t take a genius

to work out that if Worthy did sign Sutton his popularity would rise

immediately, I would even go as far as saying that last season would

all be forgotton and even forgiven.  City fans would be delighted,

Sutton get''s his final swansong at a club we know he cares dearly

about, Worthy get''s a much needed PR boost - everyone is happy.

everyone wins.

So what does Worthy do when presented with this get out of jail free

card? He tears it up and throws in our face.  He doesn''t even do

this with any skill or grace, he actually publicly discredits the guy,

arguably the best player we''ve ever had.  That really is going to

help you rebuild your relationship with the fans isn''t it?

This leads me to conclude that Mr W is one of two things, possibly

both.  A) a complete idiot and/or B) has an over inflated ego that

won''t let a player of Sutton''s undoubted quality and status into the

squad.

OTBC

I agree 100%.  I am of the firm opinion that he has an inflated ego and doesn''t want to be upstaged by Sutton.  The fans would be proved to be right and his pride won''t allow that.  Sutton would bring thousands of pounds into the club by way of merchandise sales alone notwithstanding the buzz which would go around the ground.  He doesn''t seem to want the support of the fans. 

The day we have a manager who makes decisions just to appease the moaning minority of the crowd is a sad day for the club.

So you think the fans that want Sutton back are a moaning minority?   I think you are wrong, I think the majority

of fans would approve him coming back and it would fill an obvious gap

in the squad, i.e. a big target man, one that Worthy has openly

admitted that he is looking for.  The fact remains that this would

appear to be a win/win situation, you have to admit that.

Will be interesting to see if there are any Sutton chants at the match tomorrow night.

This will not happen, Should Chris play well and score goals the BOARD and worthington would be proven wrong and that would never do. The supporters have done all that is possible to get the Board to see the error of their way on this, all is left is HOPE. They say N.W. never read the message boards surely some one near to him must, he must be thick skinned not to have walked after  all that has been written about him, the past two years.

As far as I can tell 99% of City fans would love to see Chris Sutton signed on a pay as you play deal, which it appears he is happy to accept.

• 99% of fans.  Where''s your research ?  Want to stand outside Carrow Road with a clipboard tomorrow night to prove that figure ?  ask 1,000 people and you''ll be within a 3% margin of error.
  • Would Chris Sutton be happy to be paid only to play ?  £10,000 a week has been mentioned in some reports, but the truth is nobody knows what he would accept.  Nobody seems to have asked, and if they have, then the information hasn''t made the public domain.

[quote]It doesn''t take a genius to work out that if Worthy did sign Sutton his popularity would rise immediately[/quote]

If Worthy signed Sutton, and for whatever reason the move didn''t work, it would prevent other players getting a chance in the team, could impact on our chances of getting promotion, and the same fans who think that Sutton is the answer now would be the same fans who would be calling for his head a couple of months down the line.

I suspect that he feels that the key to popularity in his job is success, and that using the players he has gives him a greater chance of being successful.

Sutton is not Worthys'' get out jail free card.  He is the latest in the line of sticks used by people who align themselves with a single-issue campaign to beat the manager.  What will it be next month I wonder ?

[quote user="magic_eyes"]Worthington''s popularity is probably still at an all time low.

As far as I can tell 99% of City fans would love to see Chris Sutton signed on a pay as you play deal, which it appears he is happy to accept.

What I don''t understand is this.   It doesn''t take a genius to work out that if Worthy did sign Sutton his popularity would rise immediately, I would even go as far as saying that last season would all be forgotton and even forgiven.  City fans would be delighted, Sutton get''s his final swansong at a club we know he cares dearly about, Worthy get''s a much needed PR boost - everyone is happy. everyone wins.

So what does Worthy do when presented with this get out of jail free card? He tears it up and throws in our face.  He doesn''t even do this with any skill or grace, he actually publicly discredits the guy, arguably the best player we''ve ever had.  That really is going to help you rebuild your relationship with the fans isn''t it?

This leads me to conclude that Mr W is one of two things, possibly both.  A) a complete idiot and/or B) has an over inflated ego that won''t let a player of Sutton''s undoubted quality and status into the squad.

OTBC

[/quote]

Couldnt disagree more - Worthy''s popularity rests on performances and results. Sutton could well bring that - but it''s no guarantee. What if sutton joined and we played rubbish, and lost the next 4 games. Would he be a hero for bringing Sutton in? Would he heck

"As far as I can tell 99% of City fans would love to see Chris Sutton signed on a pay as you play deal "

soon turns into

" I think the majority of fans would approve him coming back "

Problem with making things up is you can soon forget your own fabrications.

Wasting money on paying Sutton and his agent a signing on fee and the subsequent weekly wage is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

One thing is apparent aboutNigel Worthington above all else and that is that he is a stubborn man.  Posters talk about him being stupid or having a huge ego.  I don''t see much evidence for either contention but it is clear from what he says as well as sources such as Iwan''s book that once he makes his mind up that is it.  Game over.  Nothing will change his mind.  Just look at how he fronted it out last season.

Worthy is not a man who backs down or one who admits when he gets it wrong.  He seems to regard lack of certainty as weakness.   This is probbaly the reason he has never commented on the debacle at Fulham or ever really explained his (almost lifesaving) recall of Safri and Helveg in the Prem.  The only explanation is that he got it wrong and Nigel does not go there.....at least in public.

Worthy has publicly said he doesn''t want Sutton.  That is it.  Game over.   I do not see that anything will change his mind.  A reverse would be a huge climbdown and that is not Nigel.  Whether this is a strength or a weakness depends on your point of view but frankly, is not relevant.  It is as much a part of him as his accent and his grey hair.  So we have to take it or leave it.

So, Suttob will not come.  Sutton cannot come because Nigel has said he won''t and a change would damage his integrity.  The stubborn man will not turn.

I hope for our beloved Club''s sake he is right.  If Sutton has a good season elsewhere and we don''t go up then many, including me, will never forgive Nigel.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Well, if it starts to sound like we agree with each other Rossi, maybe these people are going too far. :)[/quote]

i''ve put a few posts on here with a considered and thought out opinion that seems to be completely ignored whilst the boys fight over who has the best conker in the playground.

what is this board coming too?

not one person has even thought that sutton might actually bring hoofball back through his natural aerial ability.

Sadly, for some people it has become a matter of pride for some people to knock the manager regardless of whether the opinion is based on fact.

I saw hoofball as a lack of ideas caused by a lack of confidence.  I guess people would see Sutton in the Roberts mould, holding the ball up for others to get into attacking positions, and as such don''t see the football that bringing him here might bring as hoofball.  I guess the long ball is only a hoof if it fails to bring an end-product ?

99% my a***.

just a few people who in the main are either

a) are living in the past

b) are using it as another vendetta against Nigel ad have joined this sidewshow/bandwagon

c) think they are wizards or have nothing better to do than churn out the same repetitive posts.

d) have a schoolboy crush on Chris.

I''m not a particular fan of Sutton, yes was a great player, but now a injury plagued player.  Yes I would be a fan of a pay-as-you play deal for Sutton, but I am not sure how effective this would be really.  Sutton is currently chilling out in Norfolk with his family and playing cricket with his father (you may have seen reports in the EDP).  He is probably looking after himself, but will by no means be match fit.  If he was keen to play for someone, he would have hooked up with a team a good month ago. 

Rumbles I have heard over the past week or so from a number of people (no sources, just pure gossip), is that Sutton wanted a pay-as-you play deal, but wanted to choose the games he played in (this isn''t some bit-part Sunday League, it''s the flaming Championship!!).  Nah, sorry Boss, I don''t fancy Hull away this week, but pencil me in for the Ipswich home game.  This isn''t going to bode very well with anyone really. 

Blah x 3 and Ralph - Forr goodness sake you are becoming repetitve, as repetitive as the WO crowd you so despise. You only post opinions that you cannot substantiate, yet you expect everybody who posts a differing opinion to substantiate their opinions.

So people want Sutton on a pay as you play basis - what good is that to our club if most of the the time he is out injured like last year at Brum - yes we would be saving money but could not spend for fear that Sutton would recover and we would then need the money.  Yes I know you lot will say anybody can get injured but at least we dont know about it in advance like Sutton.

[quote user="NavMan"]So people want Sutton on a pay as you play basis - what good is that to our club if most of the the time he is out injured like last year at Brum - yes we would be saving money but could not spend for fear that Sutton would recover and we would then need the money.  Yes I know you lot will say anybody can get injured but at least we dont know about it in advance like Sutton.[/quote]

John Hartson is inury prone?  One of Sutton''s injuries last season was a fractured cheakbone....

As usual Blah what you write makes sense, well said.  IMHO, A good Captain of a ship does not allow the crew into the chart house, or the passengers to decide the policy and direction to take.  He stands and falls by his own decisions, as does any Captain of industry and commerce.

I''m still waiting for proof that Sutton is prepared to accept a pay-as-you-play deal. I''ve heard reports of a manager (Magilton) who said something to the offect of "we might begin to start thinking about considering offering him one" (as opposed to "Chris said he wants one and we''re going to give it to him") and I''ve seen "my dad''s colleague''s babysitter knows a guy whose brother was told by Chris Sutton..." posting on this board somewhere, but I''ve never seen Chris state this categorically in a television interview. I still don''t get why the manager is criticised on an issue based on rumour and specualtion.

its clear to see after saturday''s performance, that 4-5-1 with little earn up front is probably not the answer - 4-4-2 with a player of sutton''s calibre alongside earnie would in my view reap far greater rewards.  sutton, or another iwan type ball holderer-upper, is clearly what''s required to take city into the top 6.  mckenzie has undoubted resolve, but alas i fear he lacks the class needed (crouch or svensson) to get us up there challenging, and doubt whether he will get into double figures this season.in my view, sutton (or equiv) is the missing piece of the jigsaw and could make the difference in city making a challenge for promotion or finishing top half of the table. sign the player up worthy!

[quote user="Lincoln Canary"]I''m still waiting for proof that Sutton is prepared to accept a pay-as-you-play deal. I''ve heard reports of a manager (Magilton) who said something to the offect of "we might begin to start thinking about considering offering him one" (as opposed to "Chris said he wants one and we''re going to give it to him") and I''ve seen "my dad''s colleague''s babysitter knows a guy whose brother was told by Chris Sutton..." posting on this board somewhere, but I''ve never seen Chris state this categorically in a television interview. I still don''t get why the manager is criticised on an issue based on rumour and specualtion.[/quote]

If the manager is unwilling to speak to Chris HOW DO EVEN THE CLUB KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont care if Sutton returns or not..if he was to return id be very pleased, if not.. then lets get a younger man in. However, there are things to take into consideration before we all go "Sutton Crazy".. and perhaps knock the Sutton threads firmly on the bonce.

Lets look at a few points here first though.

1. His Age: - ok so it might be no big deal.. many older players have gone onto clubs and played for a few seasons with lots of success.. and Teddy Sheringham is of course proof that if u look after ur body in the right way then u can play at the highest level for many, many years.

2. His Injury record :- can be linked to above.. Sutton has had his fair share of injuries, the older he gets the more he is likely to get, and the longer they take to heal.. where he might of only been out 2 or 3 weeks 10 years ago, the same injury now could put him for 1 or 2 months.

3. His goals record:- one of the reasons to perhaps bring him back, im sure anyone will admit that at his peak and at his best he is a top quality striker and one that most teams would like in their side, however, when he played for the Brum last season he seemed lethargic, lacking confidence and scored just once.

4. Former Glories etc:- they say u shouldnt go back.. but many players do return to their former clubs, and usually make little or no impact whatsoever, same with Managers.. those that were advocating Mike Walkers return were the same that were lambasting him less than 12 months later. looking at players, Robbie Fowlers failed return to Liverpool. again a top class striker on his day, but a few years on and a few pies to many saw the waist line expand and legs start to give out and Fowler wasnt the answer to Liverpools problems and hasnt been kept on.

Now everyone on here knows im W.O but lets give Nigel a bit of a break on this one.. should he bring Sutton back and he be an absolute Donky then thats another Rod for Nigels back... if he doesnt sign him and we have a poor season and worthy gets the sack then im sure certain will say "but if we''d signed Sutton...." regardless of some of the facts mentioned above.

Now look at the flipside of the coin.. IF he was to sign Chris and Crhis was to score 15-20 goals in a season and fire us to the premiership, and could guarentee to keep the form up and the fitness up (EG be the next Teddy Sheringham and play into his 40''s) then im sure we''d all be singing the mangers praises...

However, how many of u advocating the return of Chris Sutton are doing it because he scored 26 goals for us one season THIRTEEN (yes..13) years ago...and how many of u are doing it because u feel he can bring something to the squad rather than just be a "prodigal son"?

jas :)