Sign in to follow this  
Rossi

Delia has to go

Towards the end of the Chase era Delia was often on Canary Radio telling Chase how he was not listening to the voice of the fans - seems the wheel has turned full circle.  There also seems to be more investment in real estate than Chase ever dreamt of. ...and for the attention of the poster who thought she saved the Club - she didn''t.  She didn''t come on the scene until after Geoffrey Watling had bought Chase''s share and he and Gordon Bennett had done a deal with the bank - so lets have a bit less of the Saint Delia saviour of the Canaries bullxxxx.

I really think I have missed something somewhere.

What millions did Delia invest?

How come the balance sheet shows that Delia and MWJ made 7 million against last years accounts?

As mentioned elsewhere this ''Norfolk attitude'' is a wonderment. The board led by Delia makes the most of the forelock tugging brigade.

.....and while they are making those millions, the fans are still ploughing their hard-earned money into the club.  Without the fans there would be no football club.  Time to listen, otherwise they may see their profits turning into losses.

"Not Democratic" - this is a buisness. we are not real madrid and do not elect the president of the club. Free-market democracy does hold anyway - if you can afford it buy some shares then you can have a say on these matters.No-one can stop anybody buying a controlling influence in any buisness, except for the people that sell it to them. thats Capitalism.The fans are entitled to exactly no say - except as customers of the football club, you pay ~£20 for 90 minutes "entertainment" the only say you are entitled to is "Am i going to go (or not)?"

Now look people, I know we are all entitled to our own opinion and I do not want that to change, but, This is really beginning to sound like a personal vendetta to get rid of the board  and ALL the of  management team ( oh yes dont forget the tea lady and the guy on the gate!!)  I am going to really silly now and ask a question, What if (and i do mean if) the team get off to a good start? Will you all still chant worthy out? Will you still say that Delia  is in it for the money and the kudos and should take her Money and go away? A NEW SEASON is on the horizon with all the hopes and fears that it brings every year, Fans and Management of any football club MUST start with a clean slate or the type of vitriol and nastiness that pervaded last season could destroy this one before we begin.  Finaly lets get one thing straight I , like the rest of you am desperate to see our club do well, where I differ from some of you is that I can not and will not resort to the cheap personal attacks on Worthy, The Board of Directors, The players and other members of this Message Board.  Constructive debate used to be the way on this Board and it was FUN , can we please try to keep it that way? 

If the Board had wanted a clean slate they would have sacked the useless excuse for a manager , by not doing so they should expect more of the same ...and they will not be let down .

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]

" She made her money being a cook "

err no, she made her money as a TV presenter, seller of books etc.

[/quote]

Yes, all on the subject of cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She has about as much credibility in running a football club as Jade Goody has to dieting!

[quote user="city r us"]

Now look people, I know we are all entitled to our own opinion and I do not want that to change, but, This is really beginning to sound like a personal vendetta to get rid of the board  and ALL the of  management team ( oh yes dont forget the tea lady and the guy on the gate!!)  I am going to really silly now and ask a question, What if (and i do mean if) the team get off to a good start? Will you all still chant worthy out? Will you still say that Delia  is in it for the money and the kudos and should take her Money and go away? A NEW SEASON is on the horizon with all the hopes and fears that it brings every year, Fans and Management of any football club MUST start with a clean slate or the type of vitriol and nastiness that pervaded last season could destroy this one before we begin.  Finaly lets get one thing straight I , like the rest of you am desperate to see our club do well, where I differ from some of you is that I can not and will not resort to the cheap personal attacks on Worthy, The Board of Directors, The players and other members of this Message Board.  Constructive debate used to be the way on this Board and it was FUN , can we please try to keep it that way? 

[/quote]

The issue is quite simple for me city r us

Nothing has changed since May, only the leaving of charlie and ward and the arrival of a coach who has deemed nothing wrong with the coaching.

Why will this forthcoming season be any different?

10 out of 10 for optimism

does anyone get the Local Advertiser news paper????read in the back and it has a "10 years ago" look back in it... do u read it???

Delia smith said 10 years ago that "no one will have more than a 50% share of the club.. no one will have that controlling infleunce" Delia and her husband do though.

She says "we will listen to the fans and make the decisions that need to be made "she hasnt"

10 years ago the club loaned money from A T and T... 3 million pounds.. Delia didnt give us this money...

Geoffrey Watling bought Chases shares.. Delia was just someone who came Aboard.

we have had 3 chairman under Delia... countless Directors... 3 shocking managers who Delia all thought were "Brilliant!" Remember Hamilton??? who said that he was a top manager.???? indeed who tried to talk him into staying inmstead of resigning.....

Chases dream of Bricks and Mortar is becoming a reality... he pumped the clubs coffers into the stadioum and land around the ground... Remember the "Chase dome" which was planned???

Delia and Michael have got their south stand, their Travel Agents, their car Dealers, we are a football club... not a Shopping Mall! Delia has her posh resturant... all these things that are supposed to make the club "money" but have infact stuck us even deeper in debt..

and ultimately. when the fans demand answers.. deman Delia "the saviour" to come out and address them and reassure them that everything will be ok.. she hides.. at Least chase had the guts to address his baying public..

Delia only wants to be on TV, smiling away, talking about her club, how brilliant "her club" is, when things are going well..

Should she leave the club?? no.. take a back seat and get a football person onboard.. or a business woman/man with some guts...

If only Aldo Spinelli had aquired the club instead.. look back at Livornos history over the past 10 years.. then look at ous under "saint" Delia... which club would u rather be? and Spinellis offer was rejected for Delias

jas :)

Well said Jas. I just wish the majority felt this way instead of many that feel Delia is some sort of God that we should be indebted to.

But, strictly speaking, no ONE person does hold more than 50% of the club..........

Of course, that is merely finding a loophole in the argument, which doesn''t necessarily mean that it''s right.  However, running a football club is so easy isn''t it?  The arguments about the development of the ground are moot points, covered a trillion times (well, it feels like that many) already - don''t underestimate the importance of the income this kind of activity produces, mostly on the 13 days in every fortnight that the ground sits empty.  Also, don''t underestimate the importance of figure like Delia on attracting potential sponsors and investment in the first place.

That''s not to say that I am entirely happy with the situation, either, but there are always two sides to every story, and the truth usually lies somewhere in between......

''This is really beginning to sound like a personal vendetta to get rid of the board  and ALL the of  management team''

Too damned right it is, they should all resign now!.

There are appears to some question as to how the fans see Delia.  Some see her as the saviour of the club and without there we would no Norwich City.  Others see her as a dominating matriarchal character who just does what she likes at City - I believe none of these to be true.

I think that there is important point that has been missed by so many in this argument - Roger Munby is the Chairman of Norwich City Football Club not Delia Smith.  Surely the decision on whether Worthington should be sacked or not rests with Munby?  If not then why are the club wasting money on his wages??  Munby is accountable to Delia and all shareholders but he is the man in charge.  No doubt she has influence but she appears to be more a figurehead of the club doing the PR instead of Munby - and why not she is famous. 

Another interesting point is that she is not listening to the fans, I don''t see what is wrong with that?  At the end of the day it is her and the other board members that have the most to lose.  It is they who have to deal with the situation.  It''s OK for people like me to say we should sack Worthington, sign X player, increase the wage and transfer budget but I do not have to deal with the consequences of what happens should it all go wrong.  I see nothing wrong with having opinions on these matters but don''t I expect that they should be taken into account when decisions are made at the club. 

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

But, strictly speaking, no ONE person does hold more than 50% of the club..........

Of course, that is merely finding a loophole in the argument, which doesn''t necessarily mean that it''s right.  However, running a football club is so easy isn''t it?  The arguments about the development of the ground are moot points, covered a trillion times (well, it feels like that many) already - don''t underestimate the importance of the income this kind of activity produces, mostly on the 13 days in every fortnight that the ground sits empty.  Also, don''t underestimate the importance of figure like Delia on attracting potential sponsors and investment in the first place.

That''s not to say that I am entirely happy with the situation, either, but there are always two sides to every story, and the truth usually lies somewhere in between......

[/quote]

They dont though Temp. Andy Cullen and his Marketing boys/Girls negotiate any potential sponsorship/advertising deals with Chairman Mumbles and Doomcaster...

and no.. Running a football club isnt easy.. unless ur roman Abramovic with ur Billions or the Glaziers where u can and let the clubs name sell.... the thing is we arent making money n the other 13 days.. we are losing it.. and thats where the questions need to be asked...

Our friends down the Road hold a Rock Concert with on of the biggest bands on the planet... what do we do?? build a hotel thus curtailing any hope of using the ground to make money in future incase some toff in a suit complains he cant sleep ahead of his big business meeting the next day...

Id'' sooner have a Concert then a hotel... I bet Portman road made in 1 night what that hotel will make in 6 months!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Id'' sooner have a Concert then a hotel... I bet Portman road made in 1 night what that hotel will make in 6 months!

[/quote]

I thought they lost money on the concert?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

They dont though Temp. Andy Cullen and his Marketing boys/Girls negotiate any potential sponsorship/advertising deals with Chairman Mumbles and Doomcaster...

[/quote]

Sorry Jas, I''m not picking on you but I think you missed the point Temp was making.  He was not suggesting that Delia solicited or brokered any such deals, merely that having her "brand name" associated with the club may aid in interesting sponsors or investors.

i know they didnt make any money from Ticket sales.. but from what i saw on Friday they were selling their own refreshments and the like....

Thanks Saint, I was beginning to wonder if I was going mad!  Glad someone got my point!  I would like to continue this little love-in and reinforce the point you made re: Munby and Delia''s role in the football club!

" the thing is we arent making money n the other 13 days.. we are losing it.. and thats where the questions need to be asked..."

" Id'' sooner have a Concert then a hotel... I bet Portman road made in 1 night what that hotel will make in 6 months! "

eh ?

So the hotel is only open when there''s a football game on ? No use of the ground''s catering facilities either outside of that one magical day ?

You appear to have a profound dislike of our club and it''s senior staff. I''m not sure why but perhaps your ridiculous holding up of our pauper neighbours as an example of good practice but be an indication, if not then at least then lets examine that example.

You talk of a rock concert making money. How by selling Lidl beer as they did last season because their previous suppliers refused to allow them credit. Did they do it by not paying the St John''s ambulance as before. Did the money made equal the money they lost on another concert last season.

You castigate the marketing folk at our club. Perhaps you could explain why ''our friends'' (your words, certainly not mine) cannot even find a sponsor for their North Stand. Cannot even meet the most basic of repayments they agreed and are having to, once again, trot round with the begging bowl to stay afloat.

As to "one of the biggest bands on the planet" that is subjective, though that claim might well be linked to you apparent limited grasp of quantity, as in ''ur billions'' whatever they are. What isn''t subjective however and is fact is the opening words of that band on the night. " Ipswich, where''s Ipswich ?"

(just next door to Skid Row for those interested)

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" the thing is we arent making money n the other 13 days.. we are losing it.. and thats where the questions need to be asked..." " Id'' sooner have a Concert then a hotel... I bet Portman road made in 1 night what that hotel will make in 6 months! " eh ? So the hotel is only open when there''s a football game on ? No use of the ground''s catering facilities either outside of that one magical day ? You appear to have a profound dislike of our club and it''s senior staff. I''m not sure why but perhaps your ridiculous holding up of our pauper neighbours as an example of good practice but be an indication, if not then at least then lets examine that example. You talk of a rock concert making money. How by selling Lidl beer as they did last season because their previous suppliers refused to allow them credit. Did they do it by not paying the St John''s ambulance as before. Did the money made equal the money they lost on another concert last season. You castigate the marketing folk at our club. Perhaps you could explain why ''our friends'' (your words, certainly not mine) cannot even find a sponsor for their North Stand. Cannot even meet the most basic of repayments they agreed and are having to, once again, trot round with the begging bowl to stay afloat. As to "one of the biggest bands on the planet" that is subjective, though that claim might well be linked to you apparent limited grasp of quantity, as in ''ur billions'' whatever they are. What isn''t subjective however and is fact is the opening words of that band on the night. " Ipswich, where''s Ipswich ?" (just next door to Skid Row for those interested)[/quote]

1. Where in my post do i criticise the Marketing department?

2. It has already been announced that we will make no money whatsoever from the hotel.. it isnt Hotel NCFC its a Holiday Inn, they own the building, they have bought the land.. they will make the profit, whether they will or not remains to be seen... there is no car parking on Carrow Road unless u park on the street.. which is closed on Match days... the Hotel Nelson is around the corner.. with Parking... are u going to want to stay at a football ground on ur holidays or at a smart Riverside Hotel within minutes of boat hire, shops, bars, walks etc??? are business men/women going to stay at a football ground on the night of a Cup game/Playoff game that goes into extra time... the noise, etc keeping them awake before their business deal... Chelsea, Bolton and Reading own and manage their own hotels, with car parking, facilities etc in prime locations.. and Whilst Riverside/Carrow Road might be in demand to live it isnt the ideal site for a hotel is it?

3. I dont dislike our club..i dislike Nigel Worthington... i feel the club let their hearts rule their heads, see what others have got and try desperately hard to compete.. Failing... we look upon the Chartlon model and i think the club see us as BEING charlton.. we are Norwich City.. and the sooner the board realise that the sooner we can concentrate on getting promoted.. Forget the charlton model.. lets be Norwih City.

4. Red Hot Chilli Peppers ... any music fan will confirm their status in the world... 20 year long career, selling millions of Cd''s and playing to millions of people.. u

5. I mention Abramovics Billions... well in the last FT rich list he had over 100 million pounds to his name.. isnt 100 million equal to 1 billion?

" It has already been announced that we will make no money whatsoever from the hotel " Where has that been announced ? What is known is that the club sold the land to a joint venture company in which it has acquired a 30 per cent stake. Whether the club will further benefit long-term if the venue is successful via the value of shares from its 30 per cent stake maybe open to debate but your claim isn''t - it is false. Again you can speculate about whether this hotel will be successful or not but I think you should put up something a bit more substantial. " 20 year long career, selling millions of Cd''s and playing to millions of people " That doesn''t make them one of the biggest bands in the world. There are loads that fit that category.

This post highlights what other posters were hoping for a while back - quality posts that people argue about but still maintain respect. Give yourselves a pat on the back

Back to the topic in hand, i feel that delia would always be regarded as a saviour if she left now,  but she has taken one heck of a gamble, against the majority of public opinion (please do not argue about that KTF) and has her eggs firmly ensconsed in a cosy basket.

Fans last season pointed out  problems arising from starting this season with the manager - primarily that other available managers would have been snapped up, and of course the financial cost of not getting promoted.

Everyone needs to answer one question - do you think we will get promoted this season? If the answer is no, then surely discontent should be aimed at the silent one

Mess this up Delia and you wont be remembered for your fine achievements in turning the financial side of the club around, but for your steadfast backing of a manager that has you, and the rest of the non-footballing members of the board (all of ''em) wrapped around his little finger.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" It has already been announced that we will make no money whatsoever from the hotel " Where has that been announced ? What is known is that the club sold the land to a joint venture company in which it has acquired a 30 per cent stake. Whether the club will further benefit long-term if the venue is successful via the value of shares from its 30 per cent stake maybe open to debate but your claim isn''t - it is false. Again you can speculate about whether this hotel will be successful or not but I think you should put up something a bit more substantial. " 20 year long career, selling millions of Cd''s and playing to millions of people " That doesn''t make them one of the biggest bands in the world. There are loads that fit that category.[/quote]

The hotel dea;l was announced about a year ago.. theres posts on this board if u dig around enough Ralph.. we make no money whatsoever from it.. we have sold the land.. so its not ours.. why should we make money?

i thought i put  up a very good arguement as to why the hotel might struggle in the long term...

either way u still fail to answer my question of where do i slag off the marketing department?

and my claim isnt false.... im sure 1 or 2 posters will remember and indeed clarify my findings...

For info only - just done a search (on edp24) and found this from Neil Doncaster''s column:

"...Another example is the hotel deal. Various fans'' letters have asked why on earth the club is building a hotel at Carrow Road, when a new infill stand would help satisfy demand for seats. But when we are able to explain the truth behind the deal - that we are putting none of our own money into the deal; that we are getting a 30pc stake in the hotel joint venture; that the sale has brought £1.1m into the club to help pay off some of our debt; that the club is not in a position to borrow further to build a corner infill stand; that we will look to expand the Geoffrey Watling City Stand in order to expand our capacity in the medium term - then supporters better understand the business logic behind what we have done."

Totally agree jas:) 

Chase went because he was too interested in bricks and mortar - what''s changed!

Put on a couple of concerts - they will be sell outs!

So in actual fact the club can make money out of the hotel development. Odd though that those whinging about the club involving themselves ''in bricks and mortar'' should then whinge further when the club gets out of developing a non football building. Whinge because the club made money out of it whilst still retaining a 30% interest. Not ''ur billions'' I''ll grant you bit a bit more stability to keep the wolf from the door. Perhaps that''s why Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd see no problem in investing ''in bricks and mortar'' or maybe that''s why that ever so wicked man Mr Chase saw an opportunity that was too good to miss - or simply recognised that whilst the club had control of the land around it it would not be prey to the beck and call of any developer or investor who wouldn''t give a flying fig for the club and it''s supporters. Still why not do as some would have and pursue the path of Brighton, Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers. Even our poor old impoverished neighbours had to bow to the inevitable and spend money on "bricks and mortar". Sadly after years and years of underinvestment it was all too much in one go and they are now about a sneeze away from collapse. The reason why not will be plainly visible next time you sit way above the pitch. It''s not your naive pie in the sky or simplistic cloud cuckoo land that''s keeping you there but good old '' bricks and mortar''. 

I am failing to see the argument now to be honest.  People actually want "one off" concerts which may or may not supply a quick, short income rather than long term investments that will see either a bigger profit or a sustained income? 

What is that Doncaster doing investing money in land acquisition in an area that is seeing an increase in yields year on year?  What a mug?  What is should be doing is getting Status Quo back at Carrow Road to destroy our pitch again! 

I know, I know, it''s an old post, but i thought it was worthwhile bringing it back to life with swords appearing to cross between the board and NW.

All this talk of withholding funds for a new manager is quite frankly nonsense. The truth is that we are skint.

Prudence with ambition? I certainly look at our squad, many who have been bought recently, and dismiss that whole notion. Maybe it stood as true a while back - when a measily sum of money was offered up to stay in the prem.

We have sold development land, 20,000 season tickets, a new sponsorship deal and of course the Ashton cash. Wherever it is, it isnt in the accounts. The club have put off share dividends until the very last second (I''m told that some are still outstanding) Delia found £50k down the back of the sofa for Robinson.

One thing worth thinking about is operating losses, which at a guess will be somewhere around £3.5m - that directly effects cash flow if debt isnt to be increased by the same amount - presuming then of course that you can service it (doubtful) and that someone will give it to you.

What is becomming increasingly clear is that we are skint with a very small transfer budget that you can bet your bottom dollar on includes within the small print wages. Technically ND is correct in saying there is money to spend, and NW is right in saying that it isnt enough to buy quality.

We have therefore a situation that int he space of two season has taken us from a Prem club to one that cannot cut the mustard in the championship. This fall from grace is not the fans fault. They have done everything possible. The fault lies with the head of the organisation, the top of the tree can sway an awful lot. Delia chose to keep NW, and despite the protests, fans still put another year on their season tickets. That decision in real terms hasnt really cost the club money (and if NW has a big contract that requires termination, then her decision may well be based on a cash situation rather than anything else, hence saving us money) With that in mind, talking purely in cash terms, NW has only really cost us the cost of useless players - £1m for Colin and Hughes jumps out very clearly at me, but for goodness sake if we are in a position where we go solely on NW then something is seriously wrong. Do we not have a scout for example?

Besides that the financial situation rests in the hands of so called saint delia who for me is rapidly turning into more of a sinner. Things must be bad, she''s been silent for so long. Where''s the money delia, you have to answer us or get out, or maybe one then the other, c''mon shareholders association, why are you not asking questions, c''mon supporters trust why are you so silent.

WE DESERVE ANSWERS FROM THE TOP - or is it easier to make NW the fall guy?

DELIA OUT