Sign in to follow this  
Herb

Martin O'Neill

I see hes out in Germany doing punditry for the Beeb. Why he was overlooked for the England job is anyone''s guess, pure madness in my book.However, he has stated his desire to be managing again soon.I think we would be stupid not to at least approach him. Yes he walked out on us, but I still thank him for it to this day, it was a very big nail in Chase''s coffin. Things were going bloody well here under him and he seemed to have a knack (no doubt picked up from his illustrious mentor) for getting fairly ordinary players playing like winners.Lets face it, Leicester are no bigger than us, and Celtic don''t really count as they play pub football for most of the season - so Norwich are still the biggest club hes managed using my slightly biased measurements....He may well be destined for the Premiership, but it wouldn''t suprise me to see a reasonably sized Championship club snap him up and begin a meteoric rise up to a European place.Why can''t we be that club?This isn''t a "Worthy out" post, merely a "Martin in" one.We''ve seen the prudence Delia, what better way to show the ambition than by signing Brian Clough''s understudy as manager (I think a lot of old Big ''Eads magic has rubbed off on him)

I understand the reason he didnt get the England job was cos he wanted to bring in his own backroom staff, just as any decent manager would [;)] Its a huge opportunity missed by the FA and medicrity will now continue!

Would love to have in back at FCR as he is inspirational to everyone but somehow i think bigger teams than us will want him too!

I agree entirely, Herb. I think we might be able to persuade Martin to return, the trouble is though, the board don''t have the desire to sack the present incumbent at the moment. I wonder how many able and competent managerial candidates we will miss out on, before the board wise up to the sit-y-ashun?

I also agree with this, i would love to see O''Neill back at Norwich.I personally think he would jump at the chance to have the challenge of turning us into a good team again!

As much as I''d love him to come here, the chances of Martin O''Neill coming back to Carrow Road as manager are none.

What next, John Bond?

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

I also agree with this, i would love to see O''Neill back at Norwich.I personally think he would jump at the chance to have the challenge of turning us into a good team again!

[/quote] 

I think he would look at the transfer budget and run a mile.

If Worthy was fired today I think he would be tempted with one year of para payments left, after next year, forget it.

We will be forced to sell our better players let alone have a transfer budget.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

I think he would look at the transfer budget and run a mile.[/quote]

But O''Neill''s never had a big transfer budget - he''s always worked wonders on limited resources. I''ve said for a long time that we should be prepared to spend more on a manager than any player at this point, and that we should at least make a pitch to O''Neill. Massive odds against, but it would be worth a shot - except that Worthy''s in position and doesn''t look like shifting.

[quote user="Herb"]I see hes out in Germany doing punditry for the Beeb. Why he was overlooked for the England job is anyone''s guess, pure madness in my book.
However, he has stated his desire to be managing again soon.

I think we would be stupid not to at least approach him. Yes he walked out on us, but I still thank him for it to this day, it was a very big nail in Chase''s coffin. Things were going bloody well here under him and he seemed to have a knack (no doubt picked up from his illustrious mentor) for getting fairly ordinary players playing like winners.

Lets face it, Leicester are no bigger than us, and Celtic don''t really count as they play pub football for most of the season - so Norwich are still the biggest club hes managed using my slightly biased measurements....
He may well be destined for the Premiership, but it wouldn''t suprise me to see a reasonably sized Championship club snap him up and begin a meteoric rise up to a European place.
Why can''t we be that club?

This isn''t a "Worthy out" post, merely a "Martin in" one.
We''ve seen the prudence Delia, what better way to show the ambition than by signing Brian Clough''s understudy as manager (I think a lot of old Big ''Eads magic has rubbed off on him)
[/quote]

I find myself, unfortunatly!, agreeing with you compleatly Herb.

But, and its a bloody big but, Delia and her fellow cowards on the board will not (a) sack Worthington, and (b) they wouldn''t have the collective courage and vision to appoint the best manager in this country.

I also feel Martin might just have the Man U job in mind, if it comes available soon.

But you''re right, damn it!, it would be a dream appointment for us.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

But, and its a bloody big but, Delia and her fellow cowards on the board will not

[/quote]Can you make a point without being insulting to people who''ve done more for the club than you ever will?

"What next, John Bond? "

what a stupid comment Komakino.  Why not offer O''Neil the job, he can only turn us down.  And he would be a lot better than the current failing man.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

But, and its a bloody big but, Delia and her fellow cowards on the board will not

[/quote]

Can you make a point without being insulting to people who''ve done more for the club than you ever will?
[/quote]

Err  No!.

And you don''t know what I''ve done for the club these past 50 years mate!.

But I''ll tell you this: It''s cost me a fortune.

Did not Martin O''Neill resign last time cos Chase would not fund the £600,000 to buy Windass from Hull City?

If you are unhappy and a Norwich fan - then this post indicates why.

YOU HAVE LOST ALL SENSE OF REALITY!!! MARTIN O''NEILL IS IN THE TOP FIVE OF ENGLISH MANAGERS - he will hold out for a top five job. Norwich is way beneath what he will be looking for. And before you say - its worth asking- well only as useful as asking Rio Ferdinand if he fancies a move to Norfolk.

One season in the Prem. and suddenly everyone thinks we have a right to be in the top flight. One swallow does not make a summer- nor does one prem season make an established premiership outfit.

If people could grasp the fact that we ARE a top Champ. side- striving to become a PREM outfit, they might be happier. The board are trying to get us there- but as Leeds, Palace, Southampton, Wolves etc have come to realsie- it is a very tough thing. One can throw money at it- but you also need luck and an injury free season - as well as many other factors.

Yes last season was dissapointing- yes we were inconsistent. But maybe we just need to bed in. If posters on here had their way we would have a new team every month- buy him, get him. He is crap, he needs to go. It is getting really really boring.

Please stop being so anti club and accept reality.

Yes I want us to do well. Perhaps Worthy should be replaced.

But it is still a great club and I wsih we could get behind them and support.

Hampshire - O''Neill will walk into the Manchester Utd job when it becomes available - if he wants it. Why on earth do you think he would want to come to a Championship club like Norwich? Talk about punching below your weight!!

Yes he could only turn us down, but I wouldn''t insult the man - Why don''t we ask Wenger, Mourinho, Ferguson, Jol et al why we''re at it and make ourselves look even more ridiculous. Why don''t we put a £2M bid in Lampard as well? He can only turn us down...

There is ambition and stupidity, and asking a top manager to come here at this time is certainly the latter. How about Newell, Tilson, Parkinson etc? Managers we might just have chance of getting in the forseeable future when Worthington goes...

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]

YOU HAVE LOST ALL SENSE OF REALITY!!! MARTIN O''NEILL IS IN THE TOP

FIVE OF ENGLISH MANAGERS - he will hold out for a top five job. Norwich

is way beneath what he will be looking for. And before you say - its

worth asking- well only as useful as asking Rio Ferdinand if he fancies

a move to Norfolk.

[/quote]

On what do you base that on? He has the potential to be a top 5 manager, but his Premiership experience is next to none.

He spent the bulk of his managerial career managing a team that only had about 8 competitive games a year.

He may well be courted as Man Us next boss, but the only way I see

Fergie leaving Old Trafford is in a box - can you see O''Neill of all

people putting up with Fergie having the whip hand upstairs?

Did Clough think Forest were too small? No, he made sure they weren''t.

If he went to Man U its a lose-lose scenario. He''ll be expected to

succeed from day 1 and if he doesn''t will be deemed a failure.

Erm..I cant tell you for a fact, and this aint no joke, that O''Neil did actually speak to the Derby board about the managers postion before Billy Davies became manager. Obviously he didnt join but the fact he was willling to talk to them must have meant something....

Now now Herb, you mustn''t go and upset the usual suspects on this board with all this talk of ambition. Whatever next, you''ll be asking for Worthy to go!

[quote user="Jimaldinho"]Erm..I cant tell you for a fact, [/quote]

Ooops, that was a typo, I CAN tell you for a fact[:$]

What Jimaldinho said.Martin O''Neill is still a young manager with many years left in the game. Only Man U amongst so called big clubs even might be looking for a manager soon. Fergie could last another 2 or 4 years, if not more.Is it so inconceivable he might feel more comfortable picking up where he left off in England?

Vicar in Yellow and Green - your point was kinda missed in amongst the attempts to nitpick your suggestion that O''Neill is one of the top managers in the UK, but I have to agree with you that people need to be realistic here.

I''m not saying we shouldn''t go for him should the need arise, but the reality is that Worthington is still our manager and as much as I wish he wasn''t, I''m not going to change anything by complaining on here constantly. I''ve called a number of times for this place to get back to the fun and interesting place it was, but they''re generally ignored in favour of back-biting and petty arguments...