Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

The Hotel Infill........................................

OK pinkun chaps, do you guys have a picture of how the ''Hotel'' is going to look from inside the ground......

What a disgrace this decision is....... 

Yes some debt repaid, but our ground is going to become a joke, we could have filled another infill....

I''m not sure its a disgrace. It would be great to have more seats and a complete stadium but it makes good buisness sence which rightly or wrongly is importantant in the modern game. The project has minimal financial risk for the club, unlike building a small infill, with significant financial rewards.Which, as you say repays debt and  puts the club in a better position to invest in the team. This is not a harking back to the chase era where invest in the stadium was put before the team, but another example of the club using the resources they have to create a more stable platform with an inhanced income.

It has been stated before that it is a more viable option to put a second tier on the city stand, which imho is a much more exciting project that a couple of extra seats in a infill.

However going back to your original question, i havn''t seen any pictures and would be very interested to do so! 

I believe these infill stands are relatively costly to build for the number of seats you create (in this instance 2,000?). It makes more sense to add a tier to the City Stand, which it has been stated would give Carrow Road something like another 5,000 seats. This increase would give us a much improved capacity to help cater for a greater demand for seats if we return to the Premiership in the near future.

[quote user="Bryan Gunn"]

I''m not sure its a disgrace. It would be great to have more seats and a complete stadium but it makes good buisness sence which rightly or wrongly is importantant in the modern game. The project has minimal financial risk for the club, unlike building a small infill, with significant financial rewards.Which, as you say repays debt and  puts the club in a better position to invest in the team. This is not a harking back to the chase era where invest in the stadium was put before the team, but another example of the club using the resources they have to create a more stable platform with an inhanced income.

It has been stated before that it is a more viable option to put a second tier on the city stand, which imho is a much more exciting project that a couple of extra seats in a infill.

However going back to your original question, i havn''t seen any pictures and would be very interested to do so! 

[/quote]

Very good point Bryan.  I overstated my objections a bit.  It just seems a little short termist.  Prudence with ambition and all that I guess.

Not sure what this is at Brammell Lane but it may provide somewhat of an idea of how the hotel may look, as I here the club did not get any artists impressions of how it looks inside the ground.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/yfh45/sheffutd41.jpg

i think i''m correct in saying that it couldnt be used for terracing because it is the only entry into the ground for emergency vehicles

The Bramel lane example dosn''t exactly excite me asthetically, in fact its horrible! However, I still think it makes sence money wise.

Sorry but having a Hotel pitchside in a football stadium is ridiculous especially when more seats are required, if it''s so expensive and non   viable to have a seated infill then why did they bother to infill the other corners, have a hotel within the ground by all means but the pitchside of the stadium should be for seats only.

[quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]Sorry but having a Hotel pitchside in a football stadium is ridiculous especially when more seats are required, if it''s so expensive and non   viable to have a seated infill then why did they bother to infill the other corners, have a hotel within the ground by all means but the pitchside of the stadium should be for seats only.[/quote]

When did the words ''sence'' ''and our board'' go hand in hand?.

They never have yet!.

I have sat in the Jarrold stand since it opened and was one of the south stand-ers. During the meetings for the new stand, they told us that it would be a hotel instead of a corner infill due to the fact that the infill would cost £1.5million, and they could only add 1500 seats.

Do the math- it''s not a wise business move. the hotel will generate more money over time then just 1500 seats ever could. All you anti-board and Worthy people need to realise they are doing this for the good of the club.

I hate the close season!

As has been stated many times, putting seats in that corner is not really cost effective compared to the long term revenue the hotel will provide. At the moment I''d say we''re at ideal capacity for the Championship.

Why are people worried about such as trivial matter unless you like going to football to look at a building

I think another reason for the Hotel in the vacant "Gap" is hat if an infill was built , the segregation between home and away fans would use up most of the seats, thus not giving extra revinue to the club for filled seats. A Hotel on the other hand will bring in revenue to the club, either by a one of payment made by leasure group that purchase the Hotel or by a payment made for the rights to manage the hotel with a % going back to the club??

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Here is an artists impression of how the Hotel may look - it isnt based on fact btw!!!

Pretty Good eh??

[/quote]Please tell me that picture is a joke CJF? It looks like a small football stadium has been built around a massive 1960s tower block

well it will look horrible

why they didnt put another infill on the front of the hotel i dont know, they would get more money that way!

anyhow, i guess with hughes and doherty''s clearences that the hotel will soon be in financual dificulty after having to pay for all the smashed windows....

Bolton have a problem with their hotel.. fans are at the windows watching the games wit h alcohol.. it is illegal to have alcohol in view of the pitch.. i believe at the reebok they have a hell of a problem trying to enforce this at the hotel.. a mate of mine is a Bolton fan and she tells me that the rooms that face the pitch are not alcohol free.

how will holiday Inn enforce this and if they dont will they cough up for any fines we get?

jas :)

[quote user="AJ"]

well it will look horrible

why they didnt put another infill on the front of the hotel i dont know, they would get more money that way!

anyhow, i guess with hughes and doherty''s clearences that the hotel will soon be in financual dificulty after having to pay for all the smashed windows....

[/quote]lol AJ, not so much Row Z, as Room 114.  Will they have ballboys on the balcony? The away fans will love it, "Sing when you''re sh**ging, you only". . . etc etc.  At least there''ll be plenty of clean sheets.

It would be interesting to see what  the view of the pitch is from some of the rooms though wouldn''t it? I personally hate the idea and the artist impression CJF posted looked horrible i thought.

Why don''t people do some research before they make comments like this and start having a dig at the football club.

Simple fact, the bank loan for the Norwich Union stand was based on the fact that we built a hotel in the other corner to finance it.

Without the hotel there is no Norwich Union stand, let alone both corners being filled in, the club doesn''t have a bottemless pit of money and we all know it.

Case Closed!

It looks like they have put Lowestoft College in the corner and they are going to pull that down!!

[quote user="David4567"]

Why don''t people do some research before they make comments like this and start having a dig at the football club.

Simple fact, the bank loan for the Norwich Union stand was based on the fact that we built a hotel in the other corner to finance it.

Without the hotel there is no Norwich Union stand, let alone both corners being filled in, the club doesn''t have a bottemless pit of money and we all know it.

Case Closed!

[/quote]

Case Opened! Mr NCFC Employee.....

We certainly quickly banged up the restaurant behind the Barclay, and do we know who funded that?

Oh, and why is it always Mr Carter and Co - who get to mix the concrete?......... 

Here is an artists impression of how the Hotel may look - it isnt based on fact btw!!!

Pretty Good eh??

[/quote]Good windup, CJF.  It''s not real is it?  I thought the club said there''d be a blank wall facing the pitch, which could be even worse. 

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Pretty Good eh??

[/quote]Good windup, CJF.  It''s not real is it?  I thought the club said there''d be a blank wall facing the pitch, which could be even worse. [/quote]

The ''blank wall'' would certainly complement the blank stares from the Norwich bench.....

Pretty Good eh??

Good windup, CJF.  It''s not real is it?  I thought the club said there''d be a blank wall facing the pitch, which could be even worse. [/quote]

I did write: "it isnt based on fact btw!!!" some chap on the official site mocked it up!!

[quote user="David4567"]

Case Closed!

[/quote]

we sold the land to Holiday In n.. we wouldnt of got anywhere near enough for the stand.

We make absolutley no money at all from the hotel once its up and running.. which is why i think its a stupid Idear. Reading, Chelski and Bolton all Run and manager their own hotel.. they brin in big bucks.. we sell our land to Holiday Inn who could pull out when they get fed up and leave us with an empty shell sticking out the side of the ground which could of been used for stadium development and Revenue

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="David4567"]

Case Closed!

[/quote]

we sold the land to Holiday In n.. we wouldnt of got anywhere near enough for the stand.

We make absolutley no money at all from the hotel once its up and running.. which is why i think its a stupid Idear. Reading, Chelski and Bolton all Run and manager their own hotel.. they brin in big bucks.. we sell our land to Holiday Inn who could pull out when they get fed up and leave us with an empty shell sticking out the side of the ground which could of been used for stadium development and Revenue

[/quote]

From the announcement:

''The club sold the land to a joint venture company in which it has acquired a 30 per cent stake. The capital for the venture is being provided by investors, represented by Landmark Securities PLC, who will hold a 70 per cent stake.

Mr Doncaster explained why the hotel was the best financial option for the club: "The Norwich Union Community Stand infill cost £3.5million, whereas this scheme has actually generated £1.1million - we are talking about a £4.6million difference in outcomes

"If we wanted to increase capacity putting a second tier on the City Stand is a more cost effective way of doing things, the cost per seat of developing the corners is much more."

The club will not get any direct revenue from the day-to-day profits of the hotel, but will benefit long-term if the venue is successful via the value of shares from its 30 per cent stake.
The football club will also benefit because it will make Carrow Road an even more attractive draw for conferences and corporate events.

Rob Butcher, a member of the club''s supporters'' consultative group, said: "As far as I am concerned they club''s right to do everything it can to generate finance. I''m sure there will be fans who would rather have seats there but that is very expensive."''

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="David4567"]

Case Closed!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I never claimed that the sale of the land to Holiday Inn for the hotel covered the full cost of the Norwich Union Stand.

I was just making the point that without that deal Norwich could not finance the building works.

I give you a choice Dean Ashton £3m or 2 corner infils £3m. I know what I''d rather have.

We made £3m from the sale of Ashton we have a new corner infil and a hotel that we do have a stake in.

Come on guys lets have some positive posts and stop having a pop at the club over every minor concern.