cambridgeshire canary

Wonder how our academy is doing?

Answer to your question 

Not too good I would think 

3 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The lad who has scored seven is only sixteen.

Good job considering it's the u-18's. 

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

... Oh

academy.jpg

I know you post every second of every ****ing day, but I do hope that you are as quick to post when the Academy sides win, rather than just being a snarky **** when they lose.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I know you post every second of every ****ing day, but I do hope that you are as quick to post when the Academy sides win, rather than just being a snarky **** when they lose.

Here's your answer - somehow this one slipped under Cambridge's radar only a week ago.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/under-18s-claim-back-to-back-wins-with-victory-away-to-west-brom

On 27/04/2024 at 13:45, Satriales said:

Has one Arsenal player scored all seven!?

According to wiki that has taken his tally to 24 goals in his last 7 matches for the u18s! He also scored 10 against Liverpool for the u16s, so it's not just us being crap...

• Like 1

If you had read the article concerning the Steve Weaver departure, you would realise that the emphasis instilled into our youth has been about character building and style of play as much as results. 

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

If you had read the article concerning the Steve Weaver departure, you would realise that the emphasis instilled into our youth has been about character building and style of play as much as results. 

Um, no, quite the opposite. He's gone because the style of play throughout the academy wasn't how the first team play. Hence why we have never had very many in our team and have had to recruit so much. We're no better now at bringing through our own youngsters than we were in the 1980s and 90s. Despite having spent tens of millions on the academy. And it's not character building to get thumped every week - that's just what bad coaches say. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Um, no, quite the opposite. He's gone because the style of play throughout the academy wasn't how the first team play. Hence why we have never had very many in our team and have had to recruit so much. We're no better now at bringing through our own youngsters than we were in the 1980s and 90s. Despite having spent tens of millions on the academy. And it's not character building to get thumped every week - that's just what bad coaches say. 

Yes. I phrased it wrong for brevity, as I wanted to emphasise the role of winning within the whole approach in the light of the OP's apparent ridicule of the U18s.

Besides, I feel that with the Weaver departure there might well be more to it than that revealed on the surface, so await Knapper's eventual long-term appointment.

Not so sure about the highlighted, but I would not wish to get into an argument about in as it would entail overmuch research and length.

Suffice to say that in recent years the Academy has produced more high quality youth capable of producing youngsters who are capable of attracting the bigger teams with deeper pockets.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Forget the u18s. That level is just a talent filter. Look at the u21s: as soon as a player shows promise then they join the first team pool, or, more likely, go out on loan. But despite losing a wealth of capable players, they threw off a dismal run and thumped Villa 4-1 away in their final game. And another young star emerged: EMS with a hat trick. Let’s look on the bright side.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Sorry, but this is just such a poor post.

We weren't really blessed with academy graduates in the mid to late 90's either. The 1980's was reasonable, and the early 90's brought us Eadie and Sutton, but then post relegation, we never really had a real hot run of tallent coming through from the academy. In fact, Eadie was an example of how the rules have changed, same with Bellamy. Neither from Norfolk and both picked up and brought to the club before the 90min rules were introduced.

In many ways, we are actually better now, than we were back then. We won the FA youth cup, then we saw members of that squad do well in our team, be sold for tens of millions. Some of those that didn't still managed to carve out a career from themselves. We've then had a real run of players, Aarons, Lewis, Angus Gunn, Omobamidele, Godfrey, Maddison - though both of those required fees, such is modern football, Springet, Cantwell, Idah. We have more players out on loan than before, and many seem to be getting really good reviews.

We may not have produced a Bellamy, Eadie or Sutton again yet, but I think we are putting out players that are as good as many of the others we have seen and largely working with much tighter rule restrictions than were present back then. I believe Eadie has spoken about this before.

It's certainly making us more money than in the periods you mention too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Just so we can keep up to date, today Alex Roberts scored a brace as Norwich City Under-18s claimed a 2-1 win away to Under-18 Premier League South leaders Chelsea.

Indeed. As suggested, some posters are only interested in their view count.

Well done the Youth (three Triaists played the full match)