JonnyJonnyRowe

Most over rated Norwich players that you can remember?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Has to be Billy Gilmour! 

TheDarkKnight would be very angry with you if he could post on this forum..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

My vote goes for Todd, obviously a local boy, and I really wish him well.  He showed flashes of ability but the idea that he was performing at the level of a top premiership player, I just couldn’t see it.  So a good player, but not close to being as impactful as his reputation suggested.

8 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Nooooooo!

Sacrilege!" 

Now I regret the thread.

Didn't get the bites I was expecting to be honest

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

My vote goes for Todd, obviously a local boy, and I really wish him well.  He showed flashes of ability but the idea that he was performing at the level of a top premiership player, I just couldn’t see it.  So a good player, but not close to being as impactful as his reputation suggested.

And not to mention his, uh, attitude issues. Think enough of that has been said in the past mind..

6 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Stats dont back that up?

We conceded 34 goals in 38 games in no small part having an effective screener sho could win the ball and break up play in front of our back 4, something we've clearly missed since

Its says a lot if you think Skipp was overrated but praise an inferior player like McLean

We're 20 points shy of where we were in that season...a player of Skipp's nature not being in midfield is one of the major reasons why

We conceded less goals that season but our expected goals against was fairly similar to the first promotion season. The difference statistically was that Krul had a season that I think still breaks records at this level for the amount of xG saved...

You're also completely missing the point re McLean but then you've been shown to be wrong on him at every turn and still persist but saying someone is overrated isn't the same as saying they're a bad player, if it's even possible for you to understand that.

10 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

In our last promotion season he was comfortably the best defensive miffielder in the league.

Sadly it coincided with covid so we didnt get many chances to see him in the flesh, I went to the 3 home games where we were allowed 2k or 3k in at carrow rd and he was an obvious class above

Got to agree with this.  I was also one of the lucky ones who actually got to see him play in the flesh as it were.  Outstanding for his age and crucial to our success.

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We conceded less goals that season but our expected goals against was fairly similar to the first promotion season. The difference statistically was that Krul had a season that I think still breaks records at this level for the amount of xG saved...

You're also completely missing the point re McLean but then you've been shown to be wrong on him at every turn and still persist but saying someone is overrated isn't the same as saying they're a bad player, if it's even possible for you to understand that.

Jesus ....xg

We conceded 34 goals as opposed to 55 in the previous promotion team

...but it was all because our keeper made more saves and not in anyway because we had an effective CDM ??!!???  Lol

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Jesus ....xg

We conceded 34 goals as opposed to 55 in the previous promotion team

...but it was all because our keeper made more saves and not in anyway because we had an effective CDM ??!!???  Lol

Yeah. Our keeper made a record amount of saves by xG measure. If you don't like the stat that's fine but Brentford whilst conceding more and finishing below had a much lower xGA, but that then materialised for them the next season.

Like I said, Skipp was a very good player but if you're willing to delve any deeper than surface level into football (I.e a bit more than "we not let in more goals so we better") then there's plenty of other conclusions that tally up a bit better.

But I'm thinking you should just stick to the surface level anyway considering the amount of times you said playoffs was impossible with Kenny in midfield.

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah. Our keeper made a record amount of saves by xG measure. If you don't like the stat that's fine but Brentford whilst conceding more and finishing below had a much lower xGA, but that then materialised for them the next season.

Like I said, Skipp was a very good player but if you're willing to delve any deeper than surface level into football (I.e a bit more than "we not let in more goals so we better") then there's plenty of other conclusions that tally up a bit better.

But I'm thinking you should just stick to the surface level anyway considering the amount of times you said playoffs was impossible with Kenny in midfield.

So what about all the situations that Skipp snuffed out before they became 'chances' and therefore a stat on your sacred Xg charts??

Did you wafch any games that season?, Skipp carried McLean through that season he even made Rupp look a good player alongside him.

He was comfortably the best defensive mudfuelder in the league to the extent that fans and Webber wanted him back the following season but Spurs needed him

Doesnt sound 'over rated'

We got 90 pts + that season in no small part because we had a midfielder like him in the side.

This season, without one, we're 20 pts off the top ...if we had one in our midfield all season instead of McLean we'd be a damn sight closer point wise to bl0ody Ipswich..

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And not to mention his, uh, attitude issues. Think enough of that has been said in the past mind..

Monty Python springs to mind something about not being a Messiah, instead  and being a very naughty boy.  

• Haha 1

Safri for me.

Did a lot of things that endeared himself to fans - running around, ratting, could tackle and pass and of course one absolute thunder basted of a goal against Newcastle.

But his general contribution never seemed all that great to me, can't remember many other goals, assists or much else from him.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

So what about all the situations that Skipp snuffed out before they became 'chances' and therefore a stat on your sacred Xg charts??

Did you wafch any games that season?, Skipp carried McLean through that season he even made Rupp look a good player alongside him.

He was comfortably the best defensive mudfuelder in the league to the extent that fans and Webber wanted him back the following season but Spurs needed him

Doesnt sound 'over rated'

We got 90 pts + that season in no small part because we had a midfielder like him in the side.

This season, without one, we're 20 pts off the top ...if we had one in our midfield all season instead of McLean we'd be a damn sight closer point wise to bl0ody Ipswich..

McLean also had a very good season that year but again its you and I understand you got him so unbelievably wrong you've decided to double....triple....quadruple down. It's funny for everyone to read but your constant desperation to compare everyone to our POTS is a little embarrassing.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

McLean also had a very good season that year but again its you and I understand you got him so unbelievably wrong you've decided to double....triple....quadruple down. It's funny for everyone to read but your constant desperation to compare everyone to our POTS is a little embarrassing.

You're constant resorting to XG is excrutiatingly embarrassing...as well as your notion tgat Skipp was overrated

Where in your XG stats does it show the platform provided by Skipp to then allow the likes of Buendia and Pukki to be the force they were?

Thats the difference between those who only look at numbers and those who watch the game

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

21 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You're constant resorting to XG is excrutiatingly embarrassing...as well as your notion tgat Skipp was overrated

Where in your XG stats does it show the platform provided by Skipp to then allow the likes of Buendia and Pukki to be the force they were?

Thats the difference between those who only look at numbers and those who watch the game

Nope, anyone with an ounce of intelligence watches the game and uses stats to support or otherwise, the obvious biases that some people have. Yours is one of the funniest one's.

Even Sara specifically spoke about the poor run we had this season (where you claim Mclean was for some reason hugely at fault) and said that Mclean was the one holding things together at that time, and he'd have voted for him  too. 

I only use the stats to try and get across to you how your biases don't add up in other peoples heads, from watching the same game, and they are contrary to every conceivable stat too. Credit to you for thinking you know better, it's good to be confident. There's levels though.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Nope, anyone with an ounce of intelligence watches the game and uses stats to support or otherwise, the obvious biases that some people have. Yours is one of the funniest one's.

Even Sara specifically spoke about the poor run we had this season (where you claim Mclean was for some reason hugely at fault) and said that Mclean was the one holding things together at that time, and he'd have voted for him  too. 

I only use the stats to try and get across to you how your biases don't add up in other peoples heads, from watching the same game, and they are contrary to every conceivable stat too. Credit to you for thinking you know better, it's good to be confident. There's levels though.

Genuine question hoggy.

How do stats come in when people pad them.

Like cantwell was notorious for lots of little passes with the joke that it raised his stats.

Same for someone who might run a hundred miles and have great running / movement stats but zero impact on the game.

I realise it's difficult / near impossible to pad shots , xg though.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You only use the stats and thats the issue...it rarely tells the whole picture

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You only use the stats and thats the issue...it rarely tells the whole picture

No, I don't. I go to games. I form an opinion. I then don't have the ego to think my opinion must be right, so I take a look at how it compares statistically, to the sort of data the coaches etc will also be looking at (and paying millions to evolve, by the way, and form the basis of our recruitment going forwards particularly under Attanassio and Knapper).

Sometimes my opinion doesn't match the data so where possible I get opinions from those who are more informed (ex players, coaches etc). Sometimes those things combine change my opinion, or I go into the next game trying to look from a different perspective.

I get yours is just "I said Kenny couldnt be in a team that finished in the play offs so now I must double down regardless" - but I try and be a bit better than that.

12 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Genuine question hoggy.

How do stats come in when people pad them.

Like cantwell was notorious for lots of little passes with the joke that it raised his stats.

Same for someone who might run a hundred miles and have great running / movement stats but zero impact on the game.

I realise it's difficult / near impossible to pad shots , xg though.

Yes, I think it can impact match ratings and make players appear to have had a better game than what they did. Thankfully, at least currently in the top two english divisions, the formulas etc for generating match rating have improved (although nothing close to perfect) - so making 50 one touch 3 yard passes won't hugely increase someones rating. 

The hardest thing is rating defenders really. They get high ratings for lots of interceptions and tackles which is fair but doesn't highlight if those are because of their poor positioning to begin with and having to recover etc..

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2024 at 15:45, Ulfotto said:

On Ben Godfrey he did suffer a serious broken leg at Everton after an excellent first season which led to him being in the England squad. it seems he isn’t massively Dyche cup of tea. Personally think he was excellent here if raw and is exactly the sort of defender we need in the current lineup when playing without any defensive midfield players where his physical attributes are very useful. They are less useful for Dyche ball when you are rarely pushed up beyond the 18 yard box the full backs don’t attack and there is a double pivot of defensive midfielders in front of you.

He has also suffered from Long Covid

controversial but I always thought Cantwell was overrated off the back of a couple of big goals. He was never the £40m player that he was touted for

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

I then don't have the ego to think my opinion must be right

Lol

The funniest post I think I’ve ever read on the Pink Un

There’s a fair few players on this thread that were never rated here at all, let alone overrated. There are still some that insist that RVW being sh@t was down to Houghton but he was massively overrated by the club (they bought him) and by plenty of fans. We went “big” (for us) with him, Fer and Hooper and actually made ourselves weaker by a significant margin. 

7 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Lol

The funniest post I think I’ve ever read on the Pink Un

I just find it cute that for once you're not whinging on about Webber and the transfer window being not good enough for us to even be a top half team (that's worked out well for you) or your continuous bleating that Wagner doesn't have a clue what he's doing (that's working out even better for you) 

Tough call . Godfrey , Lewis , Aarons and Cantwell all hugely overated. 

Would have to go for Lewis but close

Not the most uplifting post