Sign in to follow this  
TheRock

BBC Question Time

Posted (edited)

Do you ever watch it? I watched it probably for only the second time in many years since David Dimbleby stopped chairing it. All I can say is that it wasn't a very civil debate, at times more like a shouting match that you'd expect to see in a school or university classroom, goaded on by Fiona Bruce constantly screeching over the panelists. Members in the audience chatting as much unrelated rubbish, whilst the panelists skirt around the actual questions and inevitably descend into ad-hominem attacks on one another.

On the rare occasion nowadays that I have free time in an evening to watch any political show, I find Iain Dale's evening show on LBC a lot more entertaining, civil and non-partisan.

Edited by TheRock

I occasionally watch it just to reaffirm my extreme dislike for all of the major political parties (and Reform 😀) and to confirm how disenfranchised I am under the current political system.

Fiona Bruce is a terrible host.

More often or not it is the non political panel member that talks with the most sense and the most honesty.

Do not bother complaining to the BBC about the programme as they never admit to getting any of their broadcasting wrong.........

20 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I occasionally watch it just to reaffirm my extreme dislike for all of the major political parties (and Reform 😀) and to confirm how disenfranchised I am under the current political system.

Fiona Bruce is a terrible host.

More often or not it is the non political panel member that talks with the most sense and the most honesty.

Do not bother complaining to the BBC about the programme as they never admit to getting any of their broadcasting wrong.........

I used to watch it religiously, but haven't watched it in about five years now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I used to watch it religiously, but haven't watched it in about five years now.

I can see why, about 99% of people on there have the opposite views to you especially around Gaza

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I can see why, about 99% of people on there have the opposite views to you especially around Gaza

Did you check with your MP what you should think about it?

These days once every 6 months or when I happen to come across it. It largely seems to be shouting match of entrenched views and a repeat of government policy. No actual thought.

Scrap it.

Else - Much as Ian Dale and others - use 'retired' politicians (and no comedians or partisan columnists) -i.e. Heseltine, Stewart, Balls, Blair even who can give more thoughtful and less partisan responses and actually answer the question !

• Like 1

Back in the times of Dimbleby and Robin Day it was a serious political programme that was compulsory viewing, but Fiona Bruce is a dreadful host who interrupts and hectors the panelists virtually as soon as they start to give their answers.  Despite the BBC claiming that the audience is carefully chosen to provide a balance of views, it’s well known that the selection process is abused by organised groups of left wing activists to ensure that they are in the majority and this is obvious from the incessant booing and cat-calling of any centrist or right of centre panelist and the pathetic whooping and cheering whenever a left-wing speaker comes out with some facile progressively populist comment.  As with Newsnight, the BBC has managed to dumb-down a once great programme and render it pointless and unwatchable.

57 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Back in the times of Dimbleby and Robin Day it was a serious political programme that was compulsory viewing, but Fiona Bruce is a dreadful host who interrupts and hectors the panelists virtually as soon as they start to give their answers.  Despite the BBC claiming that the audience is carefully chosen to provide a balance of views, it’s well known that the selection process is abused by organised groups of left wing activists to ensure that they are in the majority and this is obvious from the incessant booing and cat-calling of any centrist or right of centre panelist and the pathetic whooping and cheering whenever a left-wing speaker comes out with some facile progressively populist comment.  As with Newsnight, the BBC has managed to dumb-down a once great programme and render it pointless and unwatchable.

Why do you have to make up nonsense? It's easier to watch and realise that the right wing guests these last few months, especially tory MPs, have been appalling and deserve all the noise they get. The audience have sussed out the lies and dishonesty they are being fed and are not putting up with it anymore.

I'll agree that Bruce is awful and as @Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB says the non political guests are normally the only ones making good points. Stephanie Flanders for example. Even Peter Hitchens can talk sense on there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Why do you have to make up nonsense? It's easier to watch and realise that the right wing guests these last few months, especially tory MPs, have been appalling and deserve all the noise they get. The audience have sussed out the lies and dishonesty they are being fed and are not putting up with it anymore.

I'll agree that Bruce is awful and as @Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB says the non political guests are normally the only ones making good points. Stephanie Flanders for example. Even Peter Hitchens can talk sense on there.

Nothing made up.  It’s been going on for the last 20 years or so.

QT's fall in quality mirrors that of UK politics as a whole, how many decent and competent MP's are there now on either side of the house?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Nothing made up.  It’s been going on for the last 20 years or so.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Well get some proof and I may believe you.

In a recent episode of The Rest is Entertainment podcast Richard Oasman revealed that he had been given analysis of which TV programme most reflects the way people vote based on who watches it, the analysis was done using the 2019 election.

The answer was Question Time.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Well get some proof and I may believe you.

Funny how selective you are about what comments should need proof before you'll believe them. Have you ever considered just reading some stuff that doesn't completely agree with your world view and maybe having a think about it for yourself? You might learn something .

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

21 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Funny how selective you are about what comments should need proof before you'll believe them. Have you ever considered just reading some stuff that doesn't completely agree with your world view and maybe having a think about it for yourself? You might learn something .

Now that’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here in years coming from you! Pot & Kettle! You might want to take your advice and apply it to yourself! 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Indy said:

Now that’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here in years coming from you! Pot & Kettle! You might want to take your advice and apply it to yourself! 

Go to hell, hypocrite. The blackest pot here is you, you self-righteous ignorant bigot. You  have a go at me about the Palestinians while arguing the Holocaust was just as bad and then dismissing the million Jews forced out of the wider middle East in another ethnic cleansing because it's inconvenient to your prejudice. You're sick. Then you have the nerve to attack me as a hypocrite after all that.

Maybe go and be the first to offer an opinion about Sudan and the civil war and displaced people there? What do you think? 'Both as bad as each other'? You really 'care' about that don't you, the 15,000 dead, the 10,000,000 displaced and those starving but who aren't getting any aid because everyone's more interested in the one they can beat the Israelis with.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Go to hell, hypocrite. The blackest pot here is you, you self-righteous ignorant bigot. You  have a go at me about the Palestinians whole arguing the Holocaust is just as bad. You're sick.

Maybe go and be the first to offer all opinion about Sudan and the civil war and displaced people there? What do you think? 'Both as bad as each other'? You really 'care' about that don't you, the 15,000 dead, the 10,000,000 displaced and those starving but who aren't getting any aid because everyone's more interested in the one they can beat the Israelis with.

Off you go again proving my point! Angry little troll again! One track and have the nerve to criticise a poster and you’re the worst culprit on here! All you do is come on to cause a fight every thread you try to derail to your theme, you really are a sad man. Feel so sorry for you. Now calm down dear or you’ll blow a fuse! 😂 But it was comedy gold from you, almost as good as your Smott thread meltdown!

Edited by Indy

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Off you go again proving my point! Angry little troll again! One track and have the nerve to criticise a poster and you’re the worst culprit on here! All you do is come on to cause a fight every thread you try to derail to your theme, you really are a sad man. Feel so sorry for you. Now calm down dear or you’ll blow a fuse! 😂 But it was comedy gold from yo.

The only thing that matters is that when you saw an argument you didn't like yesterday evening, you got nasty and started calling me vile and hypocritical, and now you're butt hurt because you're being called out and getting it back and trying to make it like I'm at fault. So, just go away, don't address me and stop gaslighting me, troll.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The only thing that matters is that when you saw an argument you didn't like yesterday evening, you got nasty and started calling me vile and hypocritical, and now you're butt hurt because you're being called out and getting it back and trying to make it like I'm at fault. So, just go away, don't address me and stop gaslighting me, troll.

You are, your comment about justifying the killing of 30,000 innocent people because it’s the Jewish doing it was vile! You should take a leaf out of your own preaching and read before you post! Also respond to posts don’t amend others for your own self need of trolling!

Got called out by what you’re derailment of something I never said? You’re a troll that’s All you and an angry little one too!

Edited by Indy

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Indy said:

You are, your comment about justifying the killing of 30,000 innocent people because it’s the Jewish doing it was vile! You should take a leaf out of your own preaching and read before you post! Also respond to posts don’t amend others for your own self need of trolling!

What's wrong with it when the criticism comes from you,  someone who's dismissed nearly 1000000 Jews ethnically cleansed from Africa and the middle East like they deserved it while going on accusing Israel of collective punishment of Palestinians when everyone knows Hamas uses them as human shields? That's cast iron hypocrisy from you to attack me for not falling over myself to fuel the grievance narratives that are at the core of why so many just won't accept any peace unless it involves the annihilation of Israel.

And let's face it, you know full well Iran openly wants Israel's annihilation, but you dismiss that as unimportant as well, riding to Iran's rescue with  indignation about Israel attacking its embassy while ignoring its funding of terrorism throughout the middle East.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What's wrong with it when the criticism comes from you,  someone who's dismissed nearly 1000000 Jews ethnically cleansed from Africa and the middle East like they deserved it while going on accusing Israel of collective punishment of Palestinians when everyone knows Hamas uses them as human shields? That's cast iron hypocrisy from you to attack me for not falling over myself to fuel the grievance narratives that are at the core of why so many just won't accept any peace unless it involves the annihilation of Israel.

And let's face it, you know full well Iran openly wants Israel's annihilation, but you dismiss that as unimportant as well, riding to Iran's rescue with  indignation about Israel attacking its embassy while ignoring its funding of terrorism throughout the middle East.

I never dismissed anything I never even referred to it, you in some daft sidetrack excuse bought it up to try and justify your statement of the killing of 30,000 innocent people, instead of doing the decent thing and backing down. Exactly what you do on here deflect instead of back down when you’ve said something pretty abhorrent! Then all you do is troll for argument like this until someone bites! Just look at your posts and how many times you end up causing conflict on here! Still never mind like I said you’re a very strange individual and I’m glad I don’t have you as a friend with you’re attitude towards people of certain ethnicity!

Anyhow I’m not going to let you derail another thread to your liking…..back to the thread!

Edited by Indy

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Indy said:

I never dismissed anything I never even referred to it, you in some daft sidetrack excuse bought it up to try and justify your statement of the killing of 30,000 innocent people, instead of doing the decent thing and backing down. Exactly what you do on here deflect instead of back down when you’ve said something pretty abhorrent! Then all you do is troll for argument like this until someone bites! Just look at your posts and how many times you end up causing conflict on here! Still never mind like I said you’re a very strange individual and I’m glad I don’t have you as a friend with you’re attitude towards people of certain ethnicity!

Yes you did dismiss it. JJR raised it, and you just glossed over it making nothing of it at all as a point to weigh up in the overall picture to raise more criticisms of Israel, making an accusation that Israelis aren't interested in peace when they voted for a government that tried to secure one. And again, no comment from you about the fact that polling of Palestinians shows only a minority of them want atwo state solution after you've gone out of your way to criticise Israelis.

And there you go again accusing me of hating Muslims while you give succour legitimising Iran, a state that wants all Israelis and all Jews dead . What's tragic about you is not only are you a hypocrite, you're too stupid to see it.

And you don't get to choose where this argument stops on this thread after you bought it up either.

Incidentally, I've retrospectively reported your insults to me that caused the degeneration in the original thread and that I overlooked at the time. I have a warning point that I've done my best to respect and respect was justified, so I want to see if there's going to be any enforcement regarding you, who was completely out of line yesterday and frankly I'm appalled that the thread was deleted on the back of you reporting me after I'd tried not to bite back at your insults at first.

• Haha 1

Politics, Religion, Shopping trolleys, Traffic cones etc...etc... Yadda...Yadda...Yadda...

Pfft....No winners.... 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yes you did dismiss it. JJR raised it, and you just glossed over it making nothing of it at all as a point to weigh up in the overall picture to raise more criticisms of Israel, making an accusation that Israelis aren't interested in peace when they voted for a government that tried to secure one. And again, no comment from you about the fact that polling of Palestinians shows only a minority of them want atwo state solution after you've gone out of your way to criticise Israelis.

And there you go again accusing me of hating Muslims while you give succour legitimising Iran, a state that wants all Israelis and all Jews dead . What's tragic about you is not only are you a hypocrite, you're too stupid to see it.

And you don't get to choose where this argument stops on this thread after you bought it up either.

Incidentally, I've retrospectively reported your insults to me that caused the degeneration in the original thread and that I overlooked at the time. I have a warning point that I've done my best to respect and respect was justified, so I want to see if there's going to be any enforcement regarding you, who was completely out of line yesterday and frankly I'm appalled that the thread was deleted on the back of you reporting me after I'd tried not to bite back at your insults at first.

See there you go again, so now glossing over is your argument, I never bought it up you did, as for insults well you would know and I fully stand by my view after your statement that you are vile!

Lastly I didn’t report you I asked the moderator about people taking your post and being able to quote and change it! As you did to troll! So report all you like my old troll I stand by my entire response to you.

so that said leave it off the threads and stop derailing threads it’s boring and obvious you just want to keep arguing! Bye troll.

4 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

It's weird to see things so much the opposite way to you. I agree with you about Dimbleby and Day. Especially so, Fiona Bruce should have stuck to Antiques Roadshow and her art programmes, where she can fawn over old masters. But, I've felt, very strongly in fact, that Labour MPs have got shut down far more in recent years than Tory MPs. I've felt Bruce hasn't been neutral in this respect. It's not just me either but many acquaintances and friends too. During the Brexit years it was particularly awful and unwatchable. There were angry Brexiters given a lot of air time. Clearly, the opinions were anathema to me so you'll see why it was unpleasant.

As for the selection of the audience don't they match the percentages how people voted in the General Election for each of the areas they broadcast from? 

As for today's audiences (I now hardly ever watch because I cannot stand the shouting....kind of pointlessness to it all), I'm fairly sure it's because the current administration is the worst for many - in their lifetimes. The anger you'll see is not from the far left, it is from many of the centre of politics who are disillusioned. Many who voted Tory won't be doing so again. Any current government is there to be shot at. Labour will no doubt be defensive if and probably when they come to power. They will have a honeymoon of course but it may not last long. 

Newsnight is an interesting one. For the last decade they can hardly ever get a Tory MP (in government not a minion) to come on and talk about anything. THAT is the thing wrong with it not the reporting.

Your anger might be better directed at the government than the audience on QT. Or the BBC for that matter. The latter can't do right can they when it comes to politics? The audience are simply a cross section of the great British public. For all their sins. And you (and I) are part of the make up.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Indy said:

See there you go again, so now glossing over is your argument, I never bought it up you did, as for insults well you would know and I fully stand by my view after your statement that you are vile!

Lastly I didn’t report you I asked the moderator about people taking your post and being able to quote and change it! As you did to troll! So report all you like my old troll I stand by my entire response to you.

so that said leave it off the threads and stop derailing threads it’s boring and obvious you just want to keep arguing! Bye troll.

Yeah yeah, keep denying, keep gaslighting. You told me yesterday you'd reported something and the thread went down, which suggests someone complained. Like I said, you bought it up here so it stops when you stop, not when you declare it should stop.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Indy said:

If that's why they took it down then that's pathetic seeing as I made it patently obvious what I was adding and should have been there if you were being as considerate of the Israelis as you are the Palestinians, not changing, to highlight your hypocrisy after you started calling me a vile hypocrite. What I want to know from the moderators is why you haven't been sanctioned for the persistent personal insults you directed at me for taking a view on something that doesn't suit you. And what's more you just double down, repeating the insults again and again.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If that's why they took it down then that's pathetic seeing as I made it patently obvious what I was adding and should have been there if were being as considerate of the Israelis as you are the Palestinians, not changing, to highlight your hypocrisy after you started calling me a vile hypocrite. What I want to know from the moderators is why you haven't been sanctioned for the persistent personal insults you directed at me for taking a view on something that doesn't suit you.

Because there’s nothing there that’s why! They probably took it down as you justified in one statement your support & justified remark for Israel for killing 30,000 innocent people. Ask them they will tell you why and for that inhuman comment I view that as a vile remark! End off but you never go back and humbly change your view you just deflect and attack like a troll! So there you are best leave trying to justify yourself by attacking me for nothing I’ve actually said but something I haven’t, that’s sad. 
That’s the end from me as I’m off to footy.