Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Why only 1500?

One thing is evident to me, we haven’t had this much excitement at the business end of the season that we are able to witness first hand since Daniel Farke led us to the title in 2019.

This quote was lifted from the Joe Pateman article this week hyping up the 'critical' nature of todays match and billing it as a 'mini play off semi final away leg'. Yes we know our away form and results have left much to be desired (only 5 wins on the road before today) but I was expecting a minimum of 2500 to make the trip considering just under 2000 (apparently) went to Hillsborough. Sheffield is closer than Preston of course but travelling on a Saturday for a conventional15.00 kick off is a hell of a lot easier than a midweek night game in Yorkshire. At Preston they allocate you the whole end if demand is there and it is not uncommon for away teams to take 3,000 +. Admittedly many will have far shorter journeys and cheaper expense than our fans had to endure today but for a match of this significance I was hoping for a higher following. 

In 2019 we took the entire away end (5,000) at Wigan for a Sunday lunchtime kick off live on Sky. Yes the atmosphere last Saturday was a 'throw back' and exceptional hence disappointing to hear only 1500 made the trip today. My last away match was QPR and I believe we took just under 3,000. London is much easier and cheaper to get to than Preston of course but (at the time) QPR was 'just another match' and carried none of todays so called 'critical' importance. 

I was very disappointed I couldn't make the game today (recovering from a surgical procedure on my hand) but now feel guilty I wasn't there to help out. Will we sell our allocation for, say. Leeds, Saints or Leicester based on today?      

This post is in no way a 'criticism' of those who spend huge amounts of time and money travelling the country to away matches. I salute each and everyone of you but I'm sure the club and team would have been anticipating a much higher travelling Yarmy today. 

People saving money for a potential two legged semi to pay for? 1500 isn’t terrible, and I’ve no idea how far in advance the away team requests the amount of tickets they think they can sell. It may be that the number was set when the playoffs looked remote so we didn’t think we’d sell that many 

Equally surprised that the turn out wasn’t equal to or more than Tuesday night. However, it a very long way and fans are probably now saving up for Wembley. 

Posted (edited)

Cost of living crisis which the Club doesn’t help by charging the cost of a match ticket for 'the right to go to away matches' albeit most of them can be attended anyway but why go on that basis then not get priority for the plum ones?

If attendance at Preston influenced chance of ticket for Birmingham or play off semi, more supporters may have been motivated to attend.

Edited by essex canary
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

People saving money for a potential two legged semi to pay for? 1500 isn’t terrible, and I’ve no idea how far in advance the away team requests the amount of tickets they think they can sell. It may be that the number was set when the playoffs looked remote so we didn’t think we’d sell that many 

You may be right and lets hope so! Have spent time this evening investigating a few days away around 17th May on the South Coast. Much as the top three are stumbling, I can't see R Martin catching them. He almost gave it away again today (after being 2-0 up and cruising)! 

37 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

One thing is evident to me, we haven’t had this much excitement at the business end of the season that we are able to witness first hand since Daniel Farke led us to the title in 2019.

This quote was lifted from the Joe Pateman article this week hyping up the 'critical' nature of todays match and billing it as a 'mini play off semi final away leg'. Yes we know our away form and results have left much to be desired (only 5 wins on the road before today) but I was expecting a minimum of 2500 to make the trip considering just under 2000 (apparently) went to Hillsborough. Sheffield is closer than Preston of course but travelling on a Saturday for a conventional15.00 kick off is a hell of a lot easier than a midweek night game in Yorkshire. At Preston they allocate you the whole end if demand is there and it is not uncommon for away teams to take 3,000 +. Admittedly many will have far shorter journeys and cheaper expense than our fans had to endure today but for a match of this significance I was hoping for a higher following. 

In 2019 we took the entire away end (5,000) at Wigan for a Sunday lunchtime kick off live on Sky. Yes the atmosphere last Saturday was a 'throw back' and exceptional hence disappointing to hear only 1500 made the trip today. My last away match was QPR and I believe we took just under 3,000. London is much easier and cheaper to get to than Preston of course but (at the time) QPR was 'just another match' and carried none of todays so called 'critical' importance. 

I was very disappointed I couldn't make the game today (recovering from a surgical procedure on my hand) but now feel guilty I wasn't there to help out. Will we sell our allocation for, say. Leeds, Saints or Leicester based on today?      

This post is in no way a 'criticism' of those who spend huge amounts of time and money travelling the country to away matches. I salute each and everyone of you but I'm sure the club and team would have been anticipating a much higher travelling Yarmy today. 

With the binners loads of points clear of 3rd, they could only manage 2 small sections at Birmingham, I guess this thread is a wind up lol

17 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Cost of living crisis which the Club doesn’t help by charging the cost of a match ticket for 'the right to go to away matches' albeit most of them can be attended anyway but why go on that basis then not get priority for the plum ones?

If attendance at Preston influenced chance of ticket for Birmingham or play off semi, more supporters may have been motivated to attend.

What are you saying, you are only going when we have success, and those of us that go through seasons like last year, should give our tickets to you lol If you want I will buy our 4 Birmingham tickets and sell them to you for £100 each, as we are in a box.

• Like 1

We were there today. Saw the familiar faces. This season just hasn’t caught fire at any point - nothing like the Farke days and sensationally annihilating away wins such as at Swansea or Sheff Wednesday . I’ve never seen the like . You really had to be there. Big other difference is promotion to Premier League significantly a less appealing attraction. We all know what kind of season we’d probably be in store for.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

What are you saying, you are only going when we have success, and those of us that go through seasons like last year, should give our tickets to you lol If you want I will buy our 4 Birmingham tickets and sell them to you for £100 each, as we are in a box.

I am saying that I went around 15 times a season pre pandemic and this scheme regardless of success and 3 times a season now. I am happy to continue to vote with my feet whilst this scheme continues as fans aren't allowed a vote with their hands. Maybe the binners fans are reacting the same way with their similar scheme. I will take my chances on Birmingham. Selling tickets above face value breaks the rules. 

QPR, We did not 'take'................... as there are loads of canaries living in London and the surrounding counties

Not so many 'oop north' I would venture

attendance 16,322

20 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I am saying that I went around 15 times a season pre pandemic and this scheme regardless of success and 3 times a season now. I am happy to continue to vote with my feet whilst this scheme continues as fans aren't allowed a vote with their hands. Maybe the binners fans are reacting the same way with their similar scheme. I will take my chances on Birmingham. Selling tickets above face value breaks the rules. 

You should go and support the binners, £40 away membership and 20% of tickets ‘ given ‘ to non members, or Aston Villa who charge enormous amounts, with sometimes 10,000 wanting tickets. If you are voting with your feet, best you boycott Wembley, should we get there. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Well b back said:

With the binners loads of points clear of 3rd, they could only manage 2 small sections at Birmingham, I guess this thread is a wind up lol

I really have no idea what you're talking about! Ipswich played Birmingham away back in early November last year.

27 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

We were there today. Saw the familiar faces. This season just hasn’t caught fire at any point - nothing like the Farke days and sensationally annihilating away wins such as at Swansea or Sheff Wednesday . I’ve never seen the like . You really had to be there. Big other difference is promotion to Premier League significantly a less appealing attraction. We all know what kind of season we’d probably be in store for.

I think this is very near the mark. Even with the tremendous points haul since Jan 1st (2nd best in the league), the 'feel good' factor has never (well until last Saturday) returned in any meaningful way. Your last two sentences are worrying. On that premise, IF we get to Wembley, would we actually shift all our tickets?   

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You should go and support the binners, £40 away membership and 20% of tickets ‘ given ‘ to non members, or Aston Villa who charge enormous amounts, with sometimes 10,000 wanting tickets. If you are voting with your feet, best you boycott Wembley, should we get there. 

5 years ago at Wigan the Club offered football for £5. The fans responded. 2 months later they wanted their money back and more besides. Foul!

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I think this is very near the mark. Even with the tremendous points haul since Jan 1st (2nd best in the league), the 'feel good' factor has never (well until last Saturday) returned in any meaningful way. Your last two sentences are worrying. On that premise, IF we get to Wembley, would we actually shift all our tickets?   

Yes that too. People are always up for the very big occasions so Wembley still high demand but they may still save up for it.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Of course we would . Easily . It’s Wembley . 

Edited by Pockthorpe

18 minutes ago, Well b back said:

As you state their scheme is even worse than ours. Their fans call it out. Do ours?

We pulled a hard fought win out of the bag, taking us really close now to guaranteeing a playoff place, Jonny Rowe is back, and you start a thread to complain about how many of our supporters went to watch? 

Nuff said.

If you have been living in Britain these last 14 years, with any awareness, you would not be raising this issue. Good turnout today. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

We pulled a hard fought win out of the bag, taking us really close now to guaranteeing a playoff place, Jonny Rowe is back, and you start a thread to complain about how many of our supporters went to watch? 

Nuff said.

He has a blue name thing, 90% that have blue are really binners

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Nuff said.

Let's hope that our Board's stiffness and meaness of spirit doesn’t lose out to Farke's 12th. man.

Edited by essex canary

1500 is a perfectly decent effort - it is a long old way to Preston (around 90 min further than Sheffield) so good on those who went, they were rewarded by a good performance.

• Like 1

It'd be interesting to know how many of Norwich's away support actually travels from Norwich.
I used to go to a number of away games (Derby, West Brom, Cov, Walsall (!), Villa, Spurs, Fulham) when I was living in the Midlands and knew a number of other Canaries that would do similar. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

No this didn’t happen. We were given the whole end so could have sold more and were able to buy on the day if necessary. However, look at it another way. Preston only got 16,600 for a vital game against a play of rival. Can you imagine that ever happening at Carrow Road?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

1500 is a perfectly decent effort - it is a long old way to Preston (around 90 min further than Sheffield) so good on those who went, they were rewarded by a good performance.

Agreed and was something I openly acknowledged.

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Nuff said.

It was a polite question that's all. 1500 is roughly our normal average  travelling support (probably a bit more actually) yet the guy Pateman was hyping up the game as a 'mini semi final away leg'. For such a hyped up game played at a conventional kick off on a Saturday, I was expecting more to travel. 

8 hours ago, Corbs1 said:

If you have been living in Britain these last 14 years, with any awareness, you would not be raising this issue. Good turnout today. 

That's 100% irrelevant as you well know. 

When we went to Wigan in 2019, Zoe must have gritted her teeth so hard her dentist got a pay day and Ben Kensell's card was marked.

21 minutes ago, essex canary said:

When we went to Wigan in 2019, Zoe must have gritted her teeth so hard her dentist got a pay day and Ben Kensell's card was marked.

Please Essex.

Give.it.a.rest.

We get it, seriously we do.