Soldier on

Knapper’s thoughts on Aboh and SVH

2 hours ago, canarycop said:

If Wagner said that he warned about the squad being too thin is he now not preparing us to fail ? Surely if BK had said that he wants more youth involved and wagner is ignoring them as well as SVH then he is inviting dismissal whatever way this season pans out. BK may well be using this period to suss out Wagners policy on using younger players and he is failing miserably on that front. The other night was a casing point. Aboh or SVH on for Sarge would have been what 99 % of managers would have done but for his own stubbornness Wagner didn't. Could have kept Barnes at 10 and let either put themselves about but he didn’t 

I’d hope there’s absolutely no pressure being put on the manager about which players to pick. If that’s the case then it should be the SD who gets the sack when things aren’t going well rather than the manager as it’s his team and tactics that would be failing.

• Like 1

Our Executive Director for Vision and Strategy will have her finger on the pulse. Well maybe.

3 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Really that much? Where does the money come from...I never knew being in the play offs could be lucrative 

Well it’s an extra home match plus potentially a trip to Wembley. Both are money spinners

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Hmm not sure about this.

I personally didn't think we were going to be in the play off running back in December but after we beat West Brom on January 20th we were two points off the top 6 with 18 games to go.

Also I don't think @hogesar is advocating that we should have gone out and splurged millions on a new player- a better loanee that SVH and maybe another loanee aren't going to bankrupt us.

Saying that...it is kind of funny to me that we've now got @hogesar advocating for the SD to be willing to take short term financial risks...

I dont think I'm even advocating any more of a risk than we already took with SvH anyway. 

Like Farke, we know how Webber is re fitness of players and understanding the system before integrating them. Frustrating for fans but Knapper surely knew this - so why sign someone who's so short of match fitness?

Baring in mind Hwang was signed as a specific profile of a pressing striker (quality aside at this point) it makes me hugely doubt that SVH is the sort of profile player that Wagner would be that interested in even if he was match fit.

Baring in mind it's January, mid season, and we are a few points from play offs at this point with injured players returning - why didn't we say to Idah sorry you're not going, you only recently signed a 5 year deal and you're scoring goals and getting decent minutes- Hwang is gone and we need to ease Sarge in so you'll get time then you can reevaluate in summer? 

But even if we take it that we absolutely had no choice but to loan out Idah then signing anyone who's not fit or matching profile just feels like such a waste. In terms of risk I see plenty of risk loaning in SVH with no reward.

I was more than happy with the Gianoullis loan in January that season, for example.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont think I'm even advocating any more of a risk than we already took with SvH anyway. 

Like Farke, we know how Webber is re fitness of players and understanding the system before integrating them. Frustrating for fans but Knapper surely knew this - so why sign someone who's so short of match fitness?

Baring in mind Hwang was signed as a specific profile of a pressing striker (quality aside at this point) it makes me hugely doubt that SVH is the sort of profile player that Wagner would be that interested in even if he was match fit.

Baring in mind it's January, mid season, and we are a few points from play offs at this point with injured players returning - why didn't we say to Idah sorry you're not going, you only recently signed a 5 year deal and you're scoring goals and getting decent minutes- Hwang is gone and we need to ease Sarge in so you'll get time then you can reevaluate in summer? 

But even if we take it that we absolutely had no choice but to loan out Idah then signing anyone who's not fit or matching profile just feels like such a waste. In terms of risk I see plenty of risk loaning in SVH with no reward.

I was more than happy with the Gianoullis loan in January that season, for example.

i Agree the SVH is just totally the opposite of what was needed ,

we needed a fit pressing forward in the same style as Sarge to let us play the same tactic

Wagner will not change the way he plays that is my one criticism of him ,

i feel instead of playing to Idahs strengths he said play like Sarge and they are not the same style ,

so what was needed if Idah loan had to leave was to get a fit pressing forward like Sarge ,

like you have said all along Idah was getting goals coming off the bench that is a fat 

to replace that with someone who does was not match fit , does not play , does not come on as sub not a pressing forward and does not score off the bench was total madness

On 11/04/2024 at 13:20, norfolkngood said:

i Agree the SVH is just totally the opposite of what was needed ,

we needed a fit pressing forward in the same style as Sarge to let us play the same tactic

Wagner will not change the way he plays that is my one criticism of him ,

i feel instead of playing to Idahs strengths he said play like Sarge and they are not the same style ,

so what was needed if Idah loan had to leave was to get a fit pressing forward like Sarge ,

like you have said all along Idah was getting goals coming off the bench that is a fat 

to replace that with someone who does was not match fit , does not play , does not come on as sub not a pressing forward and does not score off the bench was total madness

Might as well send him back and save a bit of money

On 10/04/2024 at 14:23, Ulfotto said:

The joke is that one play off match at Carrow Road would gross over a million quid enough to secure a loan signing or two.

No it isn't. I'm afraid  £20k a week wouldn't even fund one decent loan signing

On 11/04/2024 at 12:36, Fen Canary said:

I’d hope there’s absolutely no pressure being put on the manager about which players to pick. If that’s the case then it should be the SD who gets the sack when things aren’t going well rather than the manager as it’s his team and tactics that would be failing.

..and they are...

8 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

..and they are...

Think you've missed the point here.

Fen Canary is saying that IF the Sporting Director is interfering with team selection/tactics then it would be the Sporting Director's selections/tactics that would be failing.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Think you've missed the point here.

Fen Canary is saying that IF the Sporting Director is interfering with team selection/tactics then it would be the Sporting Director's selections/tactics that would be failing.

The SD shouldn’t interfere with selection, and I doubt Knapper is. However, the fact that the SD is the one who constructs the squad means you can at least force a managers hand more than they would like. Webber did this plenty of times with Farke, it was perhaps less obvious then as their success was tied into one another. I’m not sure that’s the case right now with Wagner & Knapper. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, repman said:

The SD shouldn’t interfere with selection, and I doubt Knapper is. However, the fact that the SD is the one who constructs the squad means you can at least force a managers hand more than they would like. Webber did this plenty of times with Farke, it was perhaps less obvious then as their success was tied into one another. I’m not sure that’s the case right now with Wagner & Knapper. 

Who knows what is going on and where decisions are made, atm?

Knapper is the quiet man, whilst Wagner spouts the usual positivity.

Nobody seems prepared to explain the SVH fiasco, the small and therefore ill-equipped squad or just why Wagner has become reluctant to use youth when he had previously seemed more willing, ie. Fisher, Springett.

All clubs suffer from injury problems, hitting form. The state of our squad/finances means we seem to suffer more than most.

So many questions, so few answers.

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 11/04/2024 at 13:10, hogesar said:

Speaking cynically, I think Knapper saw an opportunity to add some value onto Idah for a summer sale. I don't think the player much wants to be at Norwich and we're having to be 'creative' (to use a Webberism) to generate funds for what is likely a large-scale rebuild in summer.

The SvH situation has me stumped though. I thought maybe he was a Hernandez-style signing, brought in 6 months early as we had an opportunity and he'd be settled by pre-season. But can he really be so bad currently that Wagner won't even risk half an hour at 2-0 up? Or Aboh, who though young, is probably a better fit for Sargents profile than putting Barnes up front for sufferball.

The selection will be awfully telling today. FWIW I think it'll be Barnes and Sara in the forward positions.

On 13/04/2024 at 06:13, mannings bandy legs said:

..and they are...

We’re sixth with a favourable run in. They’re not failing are they 

18 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Who knows what is going on and where decisions are made, atm?

Knapper is the quiet man, whilst Wagner spouts the usual positivity.

Nobody seems prepared to explain the SVH fiasco, the small and therefore ill-equipped squad or just why Wagner has become reluctant to use youth when he had previously seemed more willing, ie. Fisher, Springett.

All clubs suffer from injury problems, hitting form. The state of our squad/finances means we seem to suffer more than most.

So many questions, so few answers.

Why is it a fiasco? Sometimes transfers just don’t work out as intended.

I think most would agree Fergie is probably the best manager of the last 30 years. You just have to look at some of the absolute dross he signed over that time (sometimes for decent money) to know it’s not an exact science 

4 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Why is it a fiasco? Sometimes transfers just don’t work out as intended.

I think most would agree Fergie is probably the best manager of the last 30 years. You just have to look at some of the absolute dross he signed over that time (sometimes for decent money) to know it’s not an exact science 

That's a given, but this boy hasn't even been given enough game time to even show his worth. Which is probably worse.

He's not ready. He's not ready, we were told, which seemed quite bizarre given the circumstances and timing of his acquisition.

RVW had plenty of chances, which ended up with him being considered a bad fit at the time after all. 

Some decisions pay dividends, others don’t. Maybe focus more on the wood and less on the trees.

23 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's a given, but this boy hasn't even been given enough game time to even show his worth. Which is probably worse.

He's not ready. He's not ready, we were told, which seemed quite bizarre given the circumstances and timing of his acquisition.

RVW had plenty of chances, which ended up with him being considered a bad fit at the time after all. 

It’s a bad signing. Thankfully it’s only a loan so hasn’t cost us too much in terms of finances. Forget about the lad and move on