Sign in to follow this  
Six Pack

Played out like Hollywood Movie

It's absolutely incredible how everything I thought would happened - did just that. I know it's down to the lack of depth in the squad.

But when Sargent was subbed off with us 2-0 up, I knew (I think most did) we would be lucky to retain the lead - we needed at least 3 to be safe and for him to go off. 

With CBs like ours, it's always going to be luck that sees us through. Once again Gibson - Wednesday's 12th man influence the result. Missing headers/ tackles that led to their 1st goal and giving them momentum. I know he's useless but heading the ball unchallenged use to be his only forte - can't even do that now ! One of the best in the division say the happy clappers - how did a 40 year old Paterson bambooze  both he (Gibson) and Batth so easily when they were ahead of him in the chase ? He only needed to put his body between Paterson and the ball ! Is he still a professional footballer ? Junior girls are taught that in training ! Those still talking up Gibson should watch the segment of play leading up to the corners leading up to the 1st goal & the complete 2nd half if you wish. He remains the weak link of the team.

Disaster waiting to happen - resting Sargent, playing Gibson - it won't end well !

Agree that we needed three goals to feel safe and before taking Sargent off, but he needs managing fitness wise.  We should have done better without him though, but the squad is very thin. 

Singling out Gibson is harsh imo - he is not useless and was superb in the previous game. The problem is we were continually giving the ball away last night,  inviting pressure - and any back line is going to struggle in those circumstances.

Wednesday made five changes - four at half time, which  gave them a physical edge. We didn't have five decent subs and of the ones we did make, one had to go off again after two minutes. 

A hard lesson, but we did get a point away from home. No-one ever said it was going to be easy! 

• Like 1

It’s not down to the lack of depth in the squad. It’s down to the decisions made, allowing ourselves to be pushed back and done appalling defending. We had at least 8 players in our own six yard box for their equaliser. All getting in each others way and none of them marking the two players at the far post. 

• Like 1

Agree on Gibson by the way. And Baath was crap too. Gibson does some good stuff at times but he is continually caught under the ball and undone by straight forward long balls over the top. They were both lucky the two **** ups they made prior to the goals went unpunished as well 

Posted (edited)

I fail to understand why Aboh is on the bench if he can’t be put on - as a willing runner - when we are two up and taking off our no9. No wonder the kid is going to leave this summer. 
I also don’t understand why we are playing an aging no10 for 90mins, inc as a no9 when Sarge goes off - when we signed a player on loan who was meant to compete for that role. 

Those two things are fully on Wagner and his stubbornness. 

Edited by S_81
  • Like 5

Wagner is almost trolling with his current penchant for filling the bench with kids and then not playing any of them, at all. 

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s not down to the lack of depth in the squad. It’s down to the decisions made, allowing ourselves to be pushed back and done appalling defending. We had at least 8 players in our own six yard box for their equaliser. All getting in each others way and none of them marking the two players at the far post. 

How would you have defended that corner then Pep? 

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Not like that. Preferably I would have stopped them winning endless corners and long throws but pushing them back up the pitch and retaining the ball better. But just sticking 9 men in the six yard box is not marking, in fact it’s counter productive as they all get in the way of each other. 

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Wednesday have mastered their corners to perfection - especially those taken from the right. Method was very simple, cramming all their  big guys in or around our 6 yard box, boxing Gunn in so he can't use his hands, then accurate crosses into the danger area - both their goals came from identical accurate corners from the right. Why do you think  I'm so peeved off with Gibson & co ? This is where I thought we had a bit of strength - Gibson, Batth, Handley & Duffy - they don't have any other skills but heading the ball - not the case - both their two goals came from those set pieces.

Also the corners came about via Gibson's initial feeble skills & inability to play it out, after that they applied continuous pressure and we were forced time & again to clear behind our own goal-line.

How to defend those corners - Gibson to grow a pair, cut-out the excuses and show why he is one of the clubs top earners which we paid £10m !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Agree that we needed three goals to feel safe and before taking Sargent off, but he needs managing fitness wise.  We should have done better without him though, but the squad is very thin. 

Singling out Gibson is harsh imo - he is not useless and was superb in the previous game. The problem is we were continually giving the ball away last night,  inviting pressure - and any back line is going to struggle in those circumstances.

Wednesday made five changes - four at half time, which  gave them a physical edge. We didn't have five decent subs and of the ones we did make, one had to go off again after two minutes. 

A hard lesson, but we did get a point away from home. No-one ever said it was going to be easy! 

Was saved by the keeper in that game as well. I think in the 87th minute one of their strikers (I think Al Hamadi) left him for dead - but Gunn came charging out to block !

22 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Was saved by the keeper in that game as well. I think in the 87th minute one of their strikers (I think Al Hamadi) left him for dead - but Gunn came charging out to block !

We get it, you don’t like Ben Gibson 😉 

7 hours ago, Six Pack said:

It's absolutely incredible how everything I thought would happened - did just that. I know it's down to the lack of depth in the squad.

But when Sargent was subbed off with us 2-0 up, I knew (I think most did) we would be lucky to retain the lead - we needed at least 3 to be safe and for him to go off. 

With CBs like ours, it's always going to be luck that sees us through. Once again Gibson - Wednesday's 12th man influence the result. Missing headers/ tackles that led to their 1st goal and giving them momentum. I know he's useless but heading the ball unchallenged use to be his only forte - can't even do that now ! One of the best in the division say the happy clappers - how did a 40 year old Paterson bambooze  both he (Gibson) and Batth so easily when they were ahead of him in the chase ? He only needed to put his body between Paterson and the ball ! Is he still a professional footballer ? Junior girls are taught that in training ! Those still talking up Gibson should watch the segment of play leading up to the corners leading up to the 1st goal & the complete 2nd half if you wish. He remains the weak link of the team.

Disaster waiting to happen - resting Sargent, playing Gibson - it won't end well !

Callum Paterson is 29 years old.

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

TBF he looks 40!

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

OK - Part-timer then - he painted a house before coming to the game. 

My tuppennyhapporth and I know I will upset people on here, but I blame Kenny!

As others on here have mentioned we should have just controlled the ball and passed better. In that way, Wednesday would never have had the ability to build up a head of steam. Kenny's passing last night was simply atrocious, poor old Marcelino had to do the work of two men last night. And don't throw stats at me, this was pure eye test from my point of view. Kenny cannot make the right decisions when needed when he is in the middle of the pitch.

Given how Gibson panicked in that 2nd half, subbing Gibson and moving Kenny back to LCB would have been a good move IMO because when Kenny has all the play in front of him he makes better decisions and we look more composed as a result. Sure, this would have meant Sara dropping back and Fassnacht pushed forward, but if that had been done at Half time we still had a 2 goal lead to protect, which we could comfortably have retained by just keeping the ****ing ball in our possession.

Perhaps bringing Aboh on would also have given Wednesday something else to worry about, we have no clue what he can do so surely they wouldn't either so would have had to have been wary about him. Instead we gave them little to worry about in the 2nd half by continually allowing them possession.

Yes, last night was yet again another Wagner & Kenny masterwork. 

I want no repeat on Saturday. Otherwise I'll focus back on corporate governance once more and make Purps chortle!

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

My tuppennyhapporth and I know I will upset people on here, but I blame Kenny!

As others on here have mentioned we should have just controlled the ball and passed better. In that way, Wednesday would never have had the ability to build up a head of steam. Kenny's passing last night was simply atrocious, poor old Marcelino had to do the work of two men last night. And don't throw stats at me, this was pure eye test from my point of view. Kenny cannot make the right decisions when needed when he is in the middle of the pitch.

Given how Gibson panicked in that 2nd half, subbing Gibson and moving Kenny back to LCB would have been a good move IMO because when Kenny has all the play in front of him he makes better decisions and we look more composed as a result. Sure, this would have meant Sara dropping back and Fassnacht pushed forward, but if that had been done at Half time we still had a 2 goal lead to protect, which we could comfortably have retained by just keeping the ****ing ball in our possession.

Perhaps bringing Aboh on would also have given Wednesday something else to worry about, we have no clue what he can do so surely they wouldn't either so would have had to have been wary about him. Instead we gave them little to worry about in the 2nd half by continually allowing them possession.

Yes, last night was yet again another Wagner & Kenny masterwork. 

I want no repeat on Saturday. Otherwise I'll focus back on corporate governance once more and make Purps chortle!

Yes totally agree with your 2nd half formation - Fassnacht is 1st cab off the rank for me and a fast young buck such as Aboh would have given Wednesday's defence something to worry about. Unlike Barnes holding up the ball - clearly a defensive strategy. 

Usual poster blames Gibson.

Usual poster blames Mclean.

Rather than looking at you know, what actually happened or the facts. This forum really can be tiresome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

OK - Part-timer then - he painted a house before coming to the game. 

Maybe you've been watching too many Hollywood movies... 😉

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

Can't think of many Hollywood movies filmed in Sheffield.

The Full Monty didn't do too bad. 😉 

36 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The Full Monty didn't do too bad. 😉 

Wasn't there also that one with Sean Bean, playing a Sheff Utd footballer, or something?

8 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Wagner is almost trolling with his current penchant for filling the bench with kids and then not playing any of them, at all. 

It’s that or leave an empty place though?

13 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Wasn't there also that one with Sean Bean, playing a Sheff Utd footballer, or something?

When Saturday Comes! Not anywhere near as good as the magazine of the same name. Christ was that film awful.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Father Time has ravaged his age 'appearance' for sure! WTF will he look like at age 50??!!

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Father Time has ravaged his age 'appearance' for sure! WTF will he look like at age 50??!!

Like most Scottish 50-year-olds.

why-is-saito-so-much-older-than-cobb.jpg.3ca42ec7981759689568dcfb278a6323.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Who do you think should be on the bench in their place who would definitely be competition for the first choices on the team sheet?

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Who do you think should be on the bench in their place who would definitely be competition for the first choices on the team sheet?

I’d give it my best in my Woolworths moulded stud boots.