Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Tzolis looking good

On highlights v Leverkusen on YouTube.

He looks as if he could be very useful back at Carrow Road, but will management reassess his quality and keep him?

Who knows if we will see him again

It's never going to work out for him here, just he grateful that this summer we'll be able to recoup a decent chunk of what we paid for him, which last summer felt unthinkable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't get the feeling he would want to return. He's loving life where he's at

Apparently he didn’t want to leave so may fancy one last crack 

36 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Certainly an improvement on a few of the squad

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yobocop said:

That puts all of the risk back on us though. 

This summer we could get a decent fee for him.

Give him another go here next season and if he goes backwards again that puts us back to square one with an asset nobody wants, and we won't be able to boost his reputation again with a loan in the following season as he'd then be available on a Bosman at the end of that season.

Strike while the iron is hot and get as much as we can for him, reinvest in somebody else.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

That puts all of the risk back on us though. 

The only risk with a player who has demonstrated ability is if you can't utilise him correctly.  So you'd hope any decision would be based around that.  Plus he seem's a very grounded/humble guy who'd be loyal to the cause too, I get completely different impression of Rowe - who's ego will be a problem for us in the future.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

The only risk with a player who has demonstrated ability is if you can't utilise him correctly.  So you'd hope any decision would be based around that.  Plus he seem's a very grounded/humble guy who'd be loyal to the cause too, I get completely different impression of Rowe - who's ego will be a problem for us in the future.

There are other footballers out there who aren't Jonathan Rowe or Cristos Tzolis.

The issue with Tzolis if he doesn't perform for us next season is the opportunity cost, what we could have done with the way £6m ish that somebody would likely pay for him now. We could go and spend that in Brazil or Argentina.

And we could do worse than to pinch Mikey Johnston off Celtic from under the nose of West Brom in the summer if they fail to win promotion this year.

18 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

He's had a terrific season in the second tier of German Football but he's looked so short of being able to make it in English Football even down to his general physicality.

The problem isn't if he's better than Onel, Springett or whoever (he is) but it's if he's better than Sainz or Rowe which I don't think is the case. 

If we can get most of our money back that's a deal. I don't see him making a successful go of it in England.

10 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

There are other footballers out there who aren't Jonathan Rowe or Cristos Tzolis.

I think the rules prevent us from fielding players at other clubs, though.  Tzolis is already on the books, as is Rowe.

£6m coming in, once agents and everyone has had their share both ways leaves you with less than £6m to replace a player who is worth £6m.  I think that's more of a risk personally, as I said, it's whether the player suits and we can get the most out of them in the team that should be the ultimate decider were Fortuna unable to afford him.

First of all, this may not even be possible if Dusseldorf exercise their right to buy.

If it is possible for him to come back here, I feel a lot depends on who our head coach is. Wagner clearly didn't regard him very highly and I doubt if he would fit into a Wagner-style approach. A coach who works in a different way (e.g. more possession-based) might bring out the best in him.  

23 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Rowe - who's ego will be a problem for us in the future.

Any proof of this GB - from all his social media, I see a pretty grounded kid, who doesn't shirk his community responsibilities - in fact he seems one of the busiest of the squad (perhaps because of his injuries, but still). Sure, his agent is trying to get the best for him, but other than that I'd rather he played for us no matter the pressure from his agent.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

The problem isn't if he's better than Onel, Springett or whoever (he is) but it's if he's better than Sainz or Rowe which I don't think is the case. 

I think Rowe will be gone whatever, but regardless of that I'd have him replacing Barnes so Tzolis can work some magic in attacking positions (Think Stiepermann style role), allowing us to field pace out wide.

I see that much more fitting of the expected style that Knapper will want us to translate into, plus enhances us as a younger squad of developing talent.

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Any proof of this GB

I know two staff at Colney and both said he's going to be trouble, as when told 'no', he just digs in harder.  That's not a dig at him as a person, but rather how he responds to authority and how focused he is on personal ambitions.   It's not like it's some hidden secret either, it's just the way he was made.

If there's a sniff of interest he will be off, and if he's not given the move there will be problems. Bookmark this post, as they say!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

First of all, this may not even be possible if Dusseldorf exercise their right to buy.

If it is possible for him to come back here, I feel a lot depends on who our head coach is. Wagner clearly didn't regard him very highly and I doubt if he would fit into a Wagner-style approach. A coach who works in a different way (e.g. more possession-based) might bring out the best in him.  

they need to raise the funds for payment in cash by all reports its the full amount in one go no never never

18 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I think Rowe will be gone whatever, but regardless of that I'd have him replacing Barnes so Tzolis can work some magic in attacking positions (Think Stiepermann style role), allowing us to field pace out wide.

I see that much more fitting of the expected style that Knapper will want us to translate into, plus enhances us as a younger squad of developing talent.

If we sold Rowe on promotion we’ve learnt nothing. 

He’s a good player but he’s unlikely to be interesting the top PL teams yet and he’ll already have his chance at a PL crack with us.

In contrast I struggle to see a scenario where we keep hold of Tzolis.

20 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

On the small amount of time I have seen him play via YouTube,  he seems to be playing left wing and is similar to Sainz. Tzolis lived in the same block of apartments as Dimi and myself,  and I have chatted to him a few times. A very nice person who doesn't have an attitude and would fit in at Carrow. However we have Sainz and Onel at the moment so would he get game time?

I think all footballers just want to kick a ball and not sit watching,  so my guess is he is settled there and would prefer to continue in Germany 

20 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This is it, I don't think Tzolis suits a pressing game, and he's not exactly a nippy runner either (unlike Sainz). He's one of those cultured inside wingers who can pick a pass, can look dangerous creeping into space to get shots off and he can shoot. If anything, he's a far slower, less explosive version of Rowe.

Onel suits Wagner's approach more due to his pace and ability to press, even though Tzolis has demonstrated a lot of end product on loan this season. Personally I'd like to see Tzolis get another crack, but I can see and understand the argument that he's looking good in a slightly less physical, combative league - although the 2. Bundesliga is quite similar to the Championship in terms of its ability to chuck up surprising results and is usually very hard-fought.

Said before, there's definitely a player in Tzolis, but I'm just not sure how he fits.