Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

Why is our away form so much worse than our home form?

Asked this question on the match thread but it got a bit lost - seems worth asking again.

Why is our home form so much better than our away form, do people think? Seems to me we should be quite a good away side - we've scored some lovely goals this season where we've gone back-to-front pretty quickly - that would seem to be well-suited to a counter-attacking away side.

I'm not sure of the answer. I think there might be a bigger tendency to try to sit on any lead we get away, whereas at home we're more likely, with our crowd behind us, to try and go for the jugular a bit. Certainly seemed to be the case today - other than five-to-ten mins after our goal, it was a pretty passive performance.

Obviously you'd expect the effect of the crowd to have an overall impact on home vs away performances (it was no coincidence that it was in lockdown that we broke a club record for away wins) but it seems much more dramatic than it should be this season.

Wagner tends to be very conservative. In choosing his lineup, his in game management and his substitutions. Today was a great example. We were totally dominant until we took the lead. Then we stopped playing. Great if we're battling against relegation, but poor if we're going for promotion. 

So, Wagner.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

We were totally dominant until we took the lead. Then we stopped playing.

This.

It's really annoying, isn't it.

It’s the travelling through Norfolk effect! Every club says of **** it’s Norwich away this week! Five hours travelling and all those chuffing potholes!

Edited by Indy

6 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think it’s often been this way tbh. I think geography plays a part and the amount of traveling we do, and teams to us. 

Wellington Pheonix play in the Australian A league. They are a team based in Wellington, New Zealand. They have to straight up fly to a different country every away match.

They are right now 1st in the table.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

In my opinion Wagner overthinks it. We're 1-0 up and should be pushing on, but we sit back and allow a very poor/ordinary Blackburn to gain a foothold in the game. It was the same with QPR.

He just seems inherently negative when we play away nowadays, although to be fair most on here seem delighted to get a draw away from home regardless of the opposition, so maybe he's just reading the room.

Ultimately it looks like costing us a place in the play-offs as our last game is away and I would be amazed if we don't have to beat Birmingham and possibly by a certain number of goals.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wellington Pheonix play in the Australian A league. They are a team based in Wellington, New Zealand. They have to straight up fly to a different country every away match.

They are right now 1st in the table.

That’s no different though to most teams in that league. Teams aren’t going to be driving between the Australian cities, and Brisbane to Perth is probably a longer flight than Wellington to Melbourne. Unless it’s a local derby with two sides in the same city all the Australian teams will be flying to away matches. They also tend to do a few away matches back to back to avoid having to constantly fly in and out of the country.

Although if it was a major disadvantage going to Australia for away games then also the opposite should be true for home matches, so they would be unbeatable at home 

42 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s the travelling through Norfolk effect! Every club says of **** it’s Norwich away this week! Five hours travelling and all those chuffing potholes!

38 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think it’s often been this way tbh. I think geography plays a part and the amount of traveling we do, and teams to us. 

Fair enough, but given we usually fly to at least the further away games, this has surely got to be less of a factor than it used to be?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Badger said:

According to this, our PPG difference home to away is the biggest in the league, which suggests that there is certainly an issue. It has only improved slightly since our home form picked up. 

Wow, that's stark. Automatic promotion form at home. Relegation form away

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Wagner tends to be very conservative. In choosing his lineup, his in game management and his substitutions. Today was a great example. We were totally dominant until we took the lead. Then we stopped playing. Great if we're battling against relegation, but poor if we're going for promotion. 

So, Wagner.

Not sure if this can be taken all that serious. I am fairly confident that Wagner doesn't tell his players to stop doing what they were doing after scoring a goal... if he does, he's lying through his teeth when he says he wants us to be far more clinical to finish off games away from home better.

Not only that, but clearly the players didn't get the message because they continued to threaten after scoring as well. 2nd half was more cagey.

58 minutes ago, Indy said:

Mainly the West Country and Northern teams isn't it? London and Midlands teams it isn't such a big deal - we're more of a middle distance team for them.

Leicester, Coventry, Watford, QPR, Millwall, Scum and arguably Brum, West Brom too. Southampton is interesting again because we are much closer than the northern teams and a similar distance to some of the midlands teams. By train there probably isn't a great deal in it.

39 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wow, that's stark. Automatic promotion form at home. Relegation form away

Yes, especially considering the atmosphere at home, which has hardly been a wall of sound! I wonder whether we tend to play a too attacking formation away from home with two up top? TBH, I haven't seen many away games this season but the ones I have seen, we have certainly looked vulnerable.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes, especially considering the atmosphere at home, which has hardly been a wall of sound! I wonder whether we tend to play a too attacking formation away from home with two up top? TBH, I haven't seen many away games this season but the ones I have seen, we have certainly looked vulnerable.

Didn't play two up top today. Even the commentator's mentioned our 5 midfield players controlling the game in the 1st half. 

Surely if travel time for the away team was relevant to our home form (or results) then the fact that we fly to away games should mean a far better away day points haul? Yet we are one of the worst in the league.

Just as well we have improved on our home from the previous two seasons as we would have been fighting relegation.