Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Season ticket renewal packs

24 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Has anyone had theirs yet ?

I need to consider whether the hope and the tat sweetener they’ll enclose is worth the 600-odd quid they’ll want in return.

Think its all online. May be wrong.

Have only received the renewal e-mail from the club, no thing through the post yet. Nothing in the e-mail to inform me that my seat will be part of the safe standing area next season, found out about that from a friend at the game last Saturday...............

I was wondering whether the gumpf would be posted, but the email of 14/2 seemed to include the usual ‘it’s auto renewed’-type letter, so I assumed not.

The first of our letters regarding renewal came through yesterday. Says there is a waiting list for safe standing areas, which was surprising

29 minutes ago, East Rider said:

The first of our letters regarding renewal came through yesterday. Says there is a waiting list for safe standing areas, which was surprising

I think the expectation is that it will be popular, and people will want to move to that area - they presumably don’t know for sure yet, I guess it’s sensible planning.   I’m happy where I am in the upper Barclay.

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think the expectation is that it will be popular, and people will want to move to that area - they presumably don’t know for sure yet, I guess it’s sensible planning.   I’m happy where I am in the upper Barclay.

I see your point. However, seeing as most stand there anyway I'm surprised there is a waiting list as I thought you could still sit if you wanted to with the rail type seating?

Might be good to have a shake up and possibly generate a better atmosphere. 

6 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I see your point. However, seeing as most stand there anyway I'm surprised there is a waiting list as I thought you could still sit if you wanted to with the rail type seating?

Might be good to have a shake up and possibly generate a better atmosphere. 

We use the safe standing sometimes at Wembley. If you were sitting you wouldn’t see a thing.

One word of warning if you have a very tall person in front of you, you also struggle to see a bit.

26 minutes ago, Well b back said:

We use the safe standing sometimes at Wembley. If you were sitting you wouldn’t see a thing.

One word of warning if you have a very tall person in front of you, you also struggle to see a bit.

And I'd assume, unlike the previous 'unsafe' standing you can't move elsewhere, more suitable?

15 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Have only received the renewal e-mail from the club, no thing through the post yet. Nothing in the e-mail to inform me that my seat will be part of the safe standing area next season, found out about that from a friend at the game last Saturday...............

I am in lower Barclay, my email said the whole of the lower Barclay will be safe standing and then went on to give me my options

Does that increase the ground capacity 

In the  good old days we were crammed in like sardines 

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Thanks for the warning. Having first stood on the terraces in the late 70s I fully agree. Infact I spent many matches probably only seeing 50% of them due to restricted viewing on various terraces.

Mind you when we were a div 1 club in the 80s I can remember actually being able to sit on the terraces and watch some games, such was the low crowd numbers.

Edited by East Rider
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, daly said:

Does that increase the ground capacity 

In the  good old days we were crammed in like sardines 

No. 

Edited by Conrad

44 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Thanks for the warning. Having first stood on the terraces in the late 70s I fully agree. Infact I spent many matches probably only seeing 50% of them due to restricted viewing on various terraces.

Mind you when we were a div 1 club in the 80s I can remember actually being able to sit on the terraces and watch some games, such was the low crowd numbers.

I remember when we all used to cram into the one pen in the Barclay with the away supporters to the left. I think there used to be 2 away pens, so I remember often having an empty pen between the 2. With everybody crammed into the one pen, the larger one to the right as you looked at the pitch often had lots of space. The kids used to go along after the game picking up all the coins that had been hurled at each other.

At the time as a teenager, young adult, I never realised how I risked my life every time I attended. How times have changed, amongst other things I remember of course the infamous day of the Man United fan falling through the roof, the 3 Chelsea fans that went from the top to the bottom of the Barclay swinging razor blades and the day of violence with I think it was Man City, where I seem to remember a Man City fan losing their life. ‘ Safe Standing ‘ therefore is hopefully an accurate description.

13 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I remember when we all used to cram into the one pen in the Barclay with the away supporters to the left. I think there used to be 2 away pens, so I remember often having an empty pen between the 2. With everybody crammed into the one pen, the larger one to the right as you looked at the pitch often had lots of space. The kids used to go along after the game picking up all the coins that had been hurled at each other.

At the time as a teenager, young adult, I never realised how I risked my life every time I attended. How times have changed, amongst other things I remember of course the infamous day of the Man United fan falling through the roof, the 3 Chelsea fans that went from the top to the bottom of the Barclay swinging razor blades and the day of violence with I think it was Man City, where I seem to remember a Man City fan losing their life. ‘ Safe Standing ‘ therefore is hopefully an accurate description.

I remember standing in the Barclay when there were no pens. The home and away supporters being in the lower Barclay and only separated by one line of Police. Not nice times.  Darts, coins and the like being thrown between fans. I specifically remember one 'home' fan being led away by medical staff with a dart stuck in his head. 

One time, in a cup match, the Chelsea supporters 'surged' across the whole width of the Barclay, creating a space about 10 to 15 terraces deep. I then had the best view I ever had standing in the Barclay as I was standing just above the 'cleared' area. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I remember standing in the Barclay when there were no pens. The home and away supporters being in the lower Barclay and only separated by one line of Police. Not nice times.  Darts, coins and the like being thrown between fans. I specifically remember one 'home' fan being led away by medical staff with a dart stuck in his head. 

One time, in a cup match, the Chelsea supporters 'surged' across the whole width of the Barclay, creating a space about 10 to 15 terraces deep. I then had the best view I ever had standing in the Barclay as I was standing just above the 'cleared' area. 

To think, roller coasters scare me, but those surges in the Barclay used to be so exciting. 

I was once watching from the River End, we were playing Arsenal, and both sets of fans were divided by only a fence in the Barclay,  through which there were some crush barriers. Both fans must have worked the ends off the cross bar of the barrier at each end and the bar was then swung around on a middle support pivot like a 360° seesaw. Fans were scattering everywhere as both sets of fans were trying to achieve control. A bizarre sight and shows how little thought was given in them days to crowd segregation and indeed stadium maintenance. 

I think it was Boxing Day 1977 West Ham. They were waiting for us after the game outside the Barclay. Things never seemed so bad in the ground, but this was seriously scary, a few had knives.

5 hours ago, city4eva said:

I am in lower Barclay, my email said the whole of the lower Barclay will be safe standing and then went on to give me my options

We are  in the Geoffrey Watling Stand, we sit to the right of the corner flag as you look at the pitch. Our e-mails made no mention of our seats being affected.

The press release from the club about safe standing said the areas affected are the lower Barclay and the Snankepit.

At the last home game somebody who sits near us told us our seats were affected, checked with the ticket office and they confirmed this and apologised for no mention in the renewal e-mail.

The areas affected are in fact the whole of the lower Barclay and the Thorpe Corner (not just the Snakepit), my seat is the last seat number to be affected, the chap sitting to my right will be in the seated area............

3 hours ago, Conrad said:

Was that the 1971 League Cup QF when Osgood scored. As a 12 year old right at the front it was truly frightening. I was delighted that someone threw me over the top and I and many other youngsters watched the last 80 minutes sitting in front of the advertising hoardings.

19 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Was that the 1971 League Cup QF when Osgood scored. As a 12 year old right at the front it was truly frightening. I was delighted that someone threw me over the top and I and many other youngsters watched the last 80 minutes sitting in front of the advertising hoardings.

It may well have been. It was definitely a mid-week night match at home to Chelsea in the Cup. I remember that it was the very early 70's, but cannot remember the exact year. 

We must be about the same age as I  was 12 or 13 at the time. I was with my older brother, who sheltered me from the havoc that the Chelsea fans caused that night. 

50 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

We are  in the Geoffrey Watling Stand, we sit to the right of the corner flag as you look at the pitch. Our e-mails made no mention of our seats being affected.

The press release from the club about safe standing said the areas affected are the lower Barclay and the Snankepit.

At the last home game somebody who sits near us told us our seats were affected, checked with the ticket office and they confirmed this and apologised for no mention in the renewal e-mail.

The areas affected are in fact the whole of the lower Barclay and the Thorpe Corner (not just the Snakepit), my seat is the last seat number to be affected, the chap sitting to my right will be in the seated area............

Ok, I had read it was the snakepit , how far along does the standing go. Most people stand a few seats along in the GW stand 

1 hour ago, city4eva said:

Ok, I had read it was the snakepit , how far along does the standing go. Most people stand a few seats along in the GW stand 

Round to seat 215, if you come into the stand via the wide entrance in the corner and turn right (turn left for Snakepit). 

If you look at the map of seats we are in WT!, the map suggests we are in the corner but we are actually to the right of the corner flag.........