Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

The Barnes 'goal' from Saturday

I know we won, but I like to have things to moan about!  I'm sure in the world of VAR this would have been given, Barnes to me is clearly behind the ball when the pass is made.  VAR would have probably also ruled out the equaliser as the ball hit McCallum on the arm when he controlled it, so I'm not going to moan quite so much about that.

image.thumb.png.cf3dcf220e377d1c8e1b26d1d187ef34.png

I was sat in front of the McCallum cross and it looked like a definite handball in fairness. I'm not 100% clear on the rules these days, but my understanding is that if an attacking player gains an advantage from the ball hitting their hand/arm, whether it was deliberate or not no longer matters.

We won so complaints will be minimal but it was yet another example of awful officiating at this level. 

No excuse for giving that Barnes offside and I'm not sure there were even big appeals from the Cardiff players at the time.

And yes, completely missing McCallums handball is another.

You can see why he was given offside when comparing to the two central defenders as that's the nearest line of sight that the assistant has.  But the right back is clearly playing him on at the far side.

At the time I thought it was going to be pulled back for a pen as Sam was taken out making that cross.  It'd be interesting as to which decision VAR came up, in these cases I don't know if they first check for offside, or potential penalties.  As the ordering of the questions can affect outcomes I presume?

I said it at the time - Cardiff 2 (Romeo? - the one near MacCallum) is playing him on - didn't realise AB is also behind the ball - double onside!!

46 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I was sat in front of the McCallum cross and it looked like a definite handball in fairness. I'm not 100% clear on the rules these days, but my understanding is that if an attacking player gains an advantage from the ball hitting their hand/arm, whether it was deliberate or not no longer matters.

Yep, same... it was a clear one. It's in the blind spot, though... if it had been a mirror image with Stacey, the lino would have been right there to see it.

As I said in another thread, the offside might have been against McCallum from the original diagonal, as you can't see that on the highlights when the ball is played. Would be surprised if the lino had erroneously given Barnes offside, they don't usually get them that wrong.

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We won so complaints will be minimal but it was yet another example of awful officiating at this level. 

No excuse for giving that Barnes offside and I'm not sure there were even big appeals from the Cardiff players at the time.

And yes, completely missing McCallums handball is another.

Like you say, evened itself out by those two decisions but I feel sorry for Barnes as it was a great run and finish.

• Like 1

Looking at that freeze frame he looks to be behind the ball therefore the rest is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Juler said:

I know we won, but I like to have things to moan about!  I'm sure in the world of VAR this would have been given, Barnes to me is clearly behind the ball when the pass is made.  VAR would have probably also ruled out the equaliser as the ball hit McCallum on the arm when he controlled it, so I'm not going to moan quite so much about that.

image.thumb.png.cf3dcf220e377d1c8e1b26d1d187ef34.png

Ignore me.

Edited by NewNestCarrow
total wrongness

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Like you say, evened itself out by those two decisions but I feel sorry for Barnes as it was a great run and finish.

The resulting free kick was in the middle of the penalty area, so offside must have been given against Barnes. 

VAR would probably draw some ridiculous imaginary line down from his outstretched knee and rule Barnes off. A bit like Pukki against Spurs.

• Haha 1

Good spot. 

would’ve been more of an uproar had we not won the match I guess. Shame as was a fantastic ball by MCcallum 

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Only in the act of scoring nowadays. If the ball bounces up off another part of the body, it's usually OK (unless it's the goalscorer), so even with VAR, Sam might've got away with it. It's such a grey area though, so nobody really knows for sure not even the refs themselves judging by the lack of consistency surrounding handballs.