Sign in to follow this  
Ward 3

What was everyones expectations at the start of the season?

What was everyone's expectations back in August? 

Mine was top 6 as there is some strong teams in here, oh and just don't lose to the binners.

Yes we've had some rocky patches and injuries but lets get behind DW and see what can happen from this topsy turvy season

• Like 1

That given the players we have and the money we spend on our contracts we should be good enough to finish in the top 6..

But a sinking feeling we would finish just outside the playoffs or worse

• Like 1

To watch entertaining football and feel the love again.

Top half of the table.

60 percent there.

Still not convinced by Wagner but equally not calling for his head.

Just want him to sort his subs out 

With the squad we had, we didn’t know how good Sargent & Rowe would be and the ongoing off field events I said top ten!

I still think we’ll miss out on the playoffs but Wagners doing better than expected and with the injuries to key players and the geriatric nature of our backline I don’t think any manager would have done much better!

The disconnect between the fans and the club is having a massive impact, Wagner is unfortunately the focus of a poorly run club over the past three seasons! Webber is accountable for that, squad quality, age and ability far worse than it was!

32 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

To watch entertaining football and feel the love again.

Top half of the table.

60 percent there.

Still not convinced by Wagner but equally not calling for his head.

Just want him to sort his subs out 

Entertaining football starts with a solid defence, something we seriously lack! 

• Like 1

I thought we'd be top six quite easily with Sarge as league top scorer, but obviously wasn't prepared for the injuries we had.  

As Nexus above, ultimately just wanted to see enjoyable football and a more defined system, and you can see it coming together now we've got players back, but the fitness issues are still plaguing us.   

Sarge having to be managed in 60 minute periods, but we're still working goals for him in that time and pushing into top six on the back of it.   I think that's a sign of good management personally, but there's some real wtf moments in games, it's certainly a roller coaster.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Indy said:

Entertaining football starts with a solid defence, something we seriously lack! 

We finished 3rd in the Premier League with a negative goal difference. That was one of the most entertaining seasons we have ever had. 

• Like 1

I think top 6 was my minimum expectation, the signings in the summer were pretty much all ‘win now’ ones as opposed to any longer term strategy. You don’t sign Barnes and Duffy and the rest with an eye on 2/3 years down the line. Also the noise from the club was very clear in that it was another attempt at promotion, I think I recall Wagner saying something along. the lines of we will be up there.

After the 3 relegated sides I don’t see another squad in the division that’s better than ours, there’s undoubtedly better coached sides (Ipswich being the main one) so I think that would be where my frustration lies. 

Obviously the injuries have an impact but I’m not sure even now we’re a great side, but the quality is shining through a lot, if that’s all it takes to get us up there then I’m not going to complain.

I think I said 7th or 8th (maybe 8th or 9th) - just outside the playoffs, anyway.

Didn't expect Rowe to make such an impact, and had no idea about Sainz, so we've got a couple more weapons at this level than I was anticipating.

Agree with @repman about where the frustration lies. Even though we're doing about as well as I expected pre-season (and you have to acknowledge the impact of the injuries), the fact that we've got a slightly better squad than I was expecting and the sense the side could be better coached, means that I now feel we should be doing better than we are.

Last night was quite a good demonstration of that. Really impressive at times, really hopeless at others. And we seem to swing from one extreme to another more or less every game. Said last night I don't think I've ever seen a City team look so vulnerable at 2-0 up as this one does. We seem to be flying by the seat of our pants all the time.

Don't want to re-open the booing debate, but during that chaotic period in the middle of the second half when we completely lost control of the game, Wagner made those strange subs and Asprilla scored that stunning equaliser, was there really anyone in the ground who thought we'd go on to win (or even draw?!) that game. Seems at the moment that there's enough in every game to make us think we should be easily capable of top six in this league - and enough to make us think we have no idea what we're doing. Far from the worst season I can remember, but certainly one of the weirdest.

• Thanks 1

Also would add that the emergence of Rowe and Sainz has made me keener about the idea of promotion. Can't see us keeping Rowe if we don't go up, and would be worried about Gunn, Sarge and Sara too. And once you've got a list of five players you'd really rather not see leave, you have to conclude we're not too far away from a PL ready team. And if we don't go up, we're only going to be further away.

What I wanted was to win the league. 

What I expected was a mid table finish, based on the team's/Wagner's performance last season. The lack of getting another striker and a CDM player tempering my ambition. 

I couldn't decide on a finishing place. I just wanted to see a consistent style of play and pattern that played to our strengths. A style that was bought into by the whole squad so that when injuries arose, player B came in and did his best. No tombola team selection but a style we could all see, and except that, on certain days, we might get beaten by a better team.